Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made 11:52 - Oct 28 with 1540 viewsGlasgowBlue

Did we miss a trick by not appointing him as DOF?

It has become increasingly apparent that despite people's perceptions of his style of football, right up until his last season he was finding players like Waghorn at bargain prices.

We could have still had our young up and coming manager with new exciting football that everybody was crying out for but Mick would have seen the players Hurst wanted were not up to the job and could have recruited those who were.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 11:55 - Oct 28 with 1521 viewstractorboy1978

As if he'd have taken that.
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 11:57 - Oct 28 with 1511 viewsGarv

Not a job he wants. Wants to be on the training ground and manager's office.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 11:59 - Oct 28 with 1500 viewsCoastalblue

The gap between Mick and supporters had grown too big, it would never work. I can't think many managers would relish working under him either.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

on 12:04 - Oct 28 with 1477 views_

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:04 - Oct 28 with 1474 viewsGuthrum

Would McCarthy be able to have been sufficiently hands off when it came to the job of management? Would Hurst have accepted his transfer targets being overruled (and would it have been fair to do so in any case)?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:06 - Oct 28 with 1471 viewsPinewoodblue

Mick wouldn't have wanted that, although if he is still not back in management in 12 months he might consider it then but not here.

Once Evans had made up his mind about Mick he should have sought an experienced figure as DoF, and then together looked for an up and coming first team coach. Hurst was his own worst enemy, or rather Evans was giving him the freedom to break up the team and bring in players of a lower quality.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:11 - Oct 28 with 1442 viewsGlasgowBlue

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:04 - Oct 28 by Guthrum

Would McCarthy be able to have been sufficiently hands off when it came to the job of management? Would Hurst have accepted his transfer targets being overruled (and would it have been fair to do so in any case)?

I know it with the benefit of hindsight but Hurst may still be in a job had he had someone like Mick to overrule his transfer targets.

I't not a position I would put an experienced manager like Lambert under, but a newbie like Hurst going to a bigger club probably needed someone like Mick to guide him.

Iron Lion Zion

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:16 - Oct 28 with 1428 viewsHerbivore

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:11 - Oct 28 by GlasgowBlue

I know it with the benefit of hindsight but Hurst may still be in a job had he had someone like Mick to overrule his transfer targets.

I't not a position I would put an experienced manager like Lambert under, but a newbie like Hurst going to a bigger club probably needed someone like Mick to guide him.

All well and good but as has been pointed out it's not a role Mick would have been interested in and even if he had been the relationship with the fans was too far gone for it to be tolerated. That's before even getting into the difficulties of someone moving upstairs after nearly 6 years and leaving behind a set of players who need to respect the new manager first and foremost.

Agree that a DoF would have been a good way to go, but not Mick for all of the above reasons.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:27 - Oct 28 with 1392 viewstractorboy1978

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:11 - Oct 28 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not particularly sure that is true. Hurst seemed pretty intent on doing things his own way and by several accounts not really too interested in the opinions of those outside his circle (Doig, Winder). It was his first job at this level but he'd managed over 500 games before including getting Shrewsbury to the play off final in the league below us - we aren't talking about someone that was in Magilton's position when he took the job. Hurst just made a complete mess of it, several have taken the step up and not done so, Lambert being one of them.
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:31 - Oct 28 with 1382 viewsGlasgowBlue

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:16 - Oct 28 by Herbivore

All well and good but as has been pointed out it's not a role Mick would have been interested in and even if he had been the relationship with the fans was too far gone for it to be tolerated. That's before even getting into the difficulties of someone moving upstairs after nearly 6 years and leaving behind a set of players who need to respect the new manager first and foremost.

Agree that a DoF would have been a good way to go, but not Mick for all of the above reasons.

I just hope Lambert has the same ability to find good players for very little outlay. Losing Mick as a manager from a playing style point of view may seemed like a great idea at the time but we lost far more from a recruitment side of things by parting company with him.

The bloke did a marvelous job with very little financial backing.

Iron Lion Zion

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:56 - Oct 28 with 1322 viewsGuthrum

That's where I think Gerard was very sensible in appointing someone experienced as his assistant.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 13:11 - Oct 28 with 1289 viewsHerbivore

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:31 - Oct 28 by GlasgowBlue

I just hope Lambert has the same ability to find good players for very little outlay. Losing Mick as a manager from a playing style point of view may seemed like a great idea at the time but we lost far more from a recruitment side of things by parting company with him.

Although Mick's head scout, Dave Bowman, is still at the club so arguably we've not lost a key element of what enabled Mick to succeed on a small budget. The issue is Hurst seemingly not being interested in the opinions of those outside his circle.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 13:13 - Oct 28 with 1279 viewsNo9

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 11:59 - Oct 28 by Coastalblue

The gap between Mick and supporters had grown too big, it would never work. I can't think many managers would relish working under him either.

Completely right & does anyone seriously think he would have 'let the manager manage'?
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 13:24 - Oct 28 with 1255 viewsbraveblue

No.
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 13:41 - Oct 28 with 1231 viewsNo9

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 12:31 - Oct 28 by GlasgowBlue

Reputedly MM brought in 78 players to UTFC during his time as manager
Considering how many of that number made it to 1st team action and how few became established as 1st team players his record is not very good at all.

Scounting has been a problem for a long while

Look how many of the 78 were not very good
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 14:01 - Oct 28 with 1210 viewsPhilTWTD

on 12:04 - Oct 28 by _

Indeed, he'd not want it or be particularly suited to it. All transfer/contract negotiation stuff, the sort of thing a sporting director/director of football would be doing, were done by ME during his time here and a lot of the liaising with agents etc by Dave Bowman, who is the director of football in title but has effectively been the chief scout, although was rather sidelined under Paul H.
When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 14:11 - Oct 28 with 1187 viewsDubtractor

When the mutual decision to part company with Mick was made on 14:01 - Oct 28 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, he'd not want it or be particularly suited to it. All transfer/contract negotiation stuff, the sort of thing a sporting director/director of football would be doing, were done by ME during his time here and a lot of the liaising with agents etc by Dave Bowman, who is the director of football in title but has effectively been the chief scout, although was rather sidelined under Paul H.

Phil, you must have some juicy gossip on the Hurst era you can share on here to help increase traffic?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024