Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here 09:37 - Nov 25 with 4989 viewschicoazul

Take *that* godless atheist humanistic scum;
https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

"We may learn, at home or in school, a little about the selfless faith of love and trust which has sustained and shaped our civilisation and helped to make us free. But as soon as we turn on the TV or the radio, especially the BBC, or go to university, and in many, many state schools as well, we are in the hands of people like Alice Roberts, who think it clever and advanced to belittle the Christian religion, and drive it out of the society it created."

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 09:46 - Nov 25 with 2923 viewsHerbivore

Lol.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 09:47 - Nov 25 with 2950 viewschicoazul

Herbivore I can see you have replied first, for the umpteenth time you are on ignore and I cannot see your posts. I know this is the worst thing to ever happen to you.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:00 - Nov 25 with 2928 viewssparks

Well... the quote is a non sequitur.

Bizarre to rely on the ramblings of a rather pompous fellow, who was readily demolished on this subject by his brother who was vastly more insightful and intelligent.

The article is full of poor arguments and waffle. They are particularly objectionable here because they are disingenuous. Hitchens knows the responses to his arguments. He cant very well claim ignorance of them, given his brother's work...
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 10:01]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

on 10:01 - Nov 25 with 2914 views_

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:02 - Nov 25 with 2914 viewschicoazul

on 10:01 - Nov 25 by _

He doesnt say created.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:04 - Nov 25 with 2911 viewschicoazul

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:00 - Nov 25 by sparks

Well... the quote is a non sequitur.

Bizarre to rely on the ramblings of a rather pompous fellow, who was readily demolished on this subject by his brother who was vastly more insightful and intelligent.

The article is full of poor arguments and waffle. They are particularly objectionable here because they are disingenuous. Hitchens knows the responses to his arguments. He cant very well claim ignorance of them, given his brother's work...
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 10:01]

Christopher was a terrible person, a warmonger and a bad writer. But I agree he was a far better polemicist than his brother is.

on 10:05 - Nov 25 with 2894 views_

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:02 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

He doesnt say created.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:05 - Nov 25 with 2904 viewssparks

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:04 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

Christopher was a terrible person, a warmonger and a bad writer. But I agree he was a far better polemicist than his brother is.

How appallingly judgmental.

"A terrible person"? Really?

I disagree with him on some political stuff, though he did have the decency to reason and explain his positions in a rational manner for the most part.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:06 - Nov 25 with 2897 viewschicoazul

on 10:05 - Nov 25 by _

Oh I beg your pardon! I missed that.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:37 - Nov 25 with 2846 viewsHerbivore

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 09:47 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

Herbivore I can see you have replied first, for the umpteenth time you are on ignore and I cannot see your posts. I know this is the worst thing to ever happen to you.

Still obsessing over me, mate.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:41 - Nov 25 with 2852 viewsBobbychase

My friend teaches in a CofE school. He has lots of pupils from Muslim families who send their kids there because they know it's the best school in the area. Seeing as they are not worried about their children being indoctrinated I'd suggest Alice Roberts shouldn't be worried either.

What's always interested me about the Humanist movement is that they write joint letters to the broadsheets about Christianity (Alice's usual pen pals are people like Tim Minchin and Ed Byrne) and yet when studies emerge about kids getting addicted to gambling, the increasing poverty gap in our country and the knife crime issue they never put pen to paper. Aren't those issues affecting humans as well? Or are they just a one-trick pony with only one issue to campaign for.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:46 - Nov 25 with 2837 viewsStokieBlue

The last paragraph in that piece is disgusting scaremongering.

As for church schools, I have no issue with them but they do certainly indulge in a bit of brainwashing although this is to be expected. In the end parents should be able to have the choice on the type of school their children attend (within catchments etc of course).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:22 - Nov 25 with 2765 viewsBlueBadger

Ah yes Hitchens. A man who is a model of the christian virtues of selfless love, trust and openness to others.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 11:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:24 - Nov 25 with 2759 viewsBlueBadger

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:46 - Nov 25 by StokieBlue

The last paragraph in that piece is disgusting scaremongering.

As for church schools, I have no issue with them but they do certainly indulge in a bit of brainwashing although this is to be expected. In the end parents should be able to have the choice on the type of school their children attend (within catchments etc of course).

SB

Speaking as an atheist, I resent the implication from Hitchens that it's not possible to be a decent human being without the threat of an invisible sky wizard watching over your shoulder.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:38 - Nov 25 with 2739 viewsDarth_Koont

on 10:05 - Nov 25 by _

Hitchens is a strangely blinkered man. And there's compelling evidence that humanism is in the spirit of Jesus's teachings more than organised Christianity has ever been when left to its own devices.

Modern society and indeed modern Christianity owes a debt of gratitude to humanism for literally dragging us out of the Dark Ages.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:39 - Nov 25 with 2734 viewsBlueBadger

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:41 - Nov 25 by Bobbychase

My friend teaches in a CofE school. He has lots of pupils from Muslim families who send their kids there because they know it's the best school in the area. Seeing as they are not worried about their children being indoctrinated I'd suggest Alice Roberts shouldn't be worried either.

What's always interested me about the Humanist movement is that they write joint letters to the broadsheets about Christianity (Alice's usual pen pals are people like Tim Minchin and Ed Byrne) and yet when studies emerge about kids getting addicted to gambling, the increasing poverty gap in our country and the knife crime issue they never put pen to paper. Aren't those issues affecting humans as well? Or are they just a one-trick pony with only one issue to campaign for.

Isn't this a bit like wanting Phil to start covering F1 on the TWTD news pages?

Not really on 11:48 - Nov 25 with 2713 viewsDyland

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:39 - Nov 25 by BlueBadger

Isn't this a bit like wanting Phil to start covering F1 on the TWTD news pages?

You facetious scamp, you ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:58 - Nov 25 with 2698 viewsTrequartista

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 09:47 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

Shame you can't see his reply, he posted such a thorough and unbeatable riposte that if Hitchens were to see it, i doubt he'd ever dare to post anything again.

Oh no hang on, he put "lol" again.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 12:47 - Nov 25 with 2605 viewsHerbivore

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 11:58 - Nov 25 by Trequartista

Shame you can't see his reply, he posted such a thorough and unbeatable riposte that if Hitchens were to see it, i doubt he'd ever dare to post anything again.

Oh no hang on, he put "lol" again.

Hitchens is a dim-witted troll, a simple lol is the best he deserves.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 12:56 - Nov 25 with 2590 viewsOxford_Blue

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:04 - Nov 25 by chicoazul

How on earth do you know what Christopher Hitchens was like as a person? Did you ever meet him? Have you asked his friends or wife or those that knew him well? He was liked by many that knew him - eg Stephen Fry, Ian McKewen, Martin Amis and many others.

As for his writing skill, I’m intrigued to know why you think he was a bad writer given his huge success and recognition from his peers. If it is you who is judging him, may I ask on what basis you have any credibility to do so?

And what have you actually read of his works?

Is is not just the fact that he expressed views you didn’t agree with?
Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 12:58 - Nov 25 with 2576 viewsDarth_Koont

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 12:56 - Nov 25 by Oxford_Blue

How on earth do you know what Christopher Hitchens was like as a person? Did you ever meet him? Have you asked his friends or wife or those that knew him well? He was liked by many that knew him - eg Stephen Fry, Ian McKewen, Martin Amis and many others.

As for his writing skill, I’m intrigued to know why you think he was a bad writer given his huge success and recognition from his peers. If it is you who is judging him, may I ask on what basis you have any credibility to do so?

And what have you actually read of his works?

Is is not just the fact that he expressed views you didn’t agree with?

Chico is the Peter Hitchens of this board.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 13:01 - Nov 25 with 2574 viewssparks

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 10:41 - Nov 25 by Bobbychase

Do you not see the fundamental issues with
1- Religions of all types, cynically targetting young people with their belief systems, before those young people have developed the knowledge and skills to consider the claims critically?

2- Religions being able to do this via state funded schools, often in circumstances where parents have very limited altenrative choices.

3- Teachers are people who children trust to provide them accurate information about the world we live in and the skills to go with that information. But on this one subject, that goes out of the window and they are able and encouraged to teach beliefs with limited factual foundation, as facts.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 13:04 - Nov 25 with 2557 viewsHerbivore

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 12:58 - Nov 25 by Darth_Koont

Chico is the Peter Hitchens of this board.

I'd say he's more of the Father Dougal of this board to be fair.

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 13:25 - Nov 25 with 2521 viewsSpruceMoose

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 12:47 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

Hitchens is a dim-witted troll, a simple lol is the best he deserves.

Similar to some on here in that respect.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Hitchens with an elbow from the top rope here on 13:25 - Nov 25 with 2520 viewsSpruceMoose

Lol.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024