Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is locally relevant... 23:40 - Dec 16 with 1231 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/eye-poultry-diaper-poultry-and-gressingham-foods-bre

Sad reality is we don’t do things much better here than other places in the world. Animal welfare in the meat industry is mostly smoke and mirrors to protect business. You can’t deliver the supply of meat supermarkets need without cutting a lot of corners.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is locally relevant... on 23:59 - Dec 16 with 1195 viewsjeera

"2 slaughter houses penalised for major issues with the suffering of animals during the killing process, while another received a serious fault for a lack of staff certification relating to animal welfare" ; 3 animal welfare breaches overall.

The majority of breaches were for food hygiene reasons.

Doesn't sound good, agree.

I know/have known a few people in various roles within the meat processing industry and have heard some pretty mixed reports from each. From stories of neglect and abuse to the praising of standards of some institutions.

Makes you wonder how some places get away with what they do. You'd think someone would grass up poor behaviour.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is locally relevant... on 23:59 - Dec 16 with 1194 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think anyone disagrees that factory farm methods are awful.

Agree though that if you buy meat in a supermarket you are, generally, supporting less than ethical methods. Waitrose and M&S are fairly good but I won't pretend things like this don't happen in many slaughterhouses regardless of where the meat goes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This is locally relevant... on 00:06 - Dec 17 with 1178 viewsmonytowbray

This is locally relevant... on 23:59 - Dec 16 by J2BLUE

I don't think anyone disagrees that factory farm methods are awful.

Agree though that if you buy meat in a supermarket you are, generally, supporting less than ethical methods. Waitrose and M&S are fairly good but I won't pretend things like this don't happen in many slaughterhouses regardless of where the meat goes.

I can’t help to feel the best way to avoid funding it is to just not eat it full stop though? Unless you are the one actually rearing and slaughtering* it (or at least present for it) you can’t vouch what you’re eating had a “good” life.

*Which then goes into my opinion you can’t “humanely kill” anything that is healthy and not of full age, but for the sake of the topic I left it in.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 0:07]

TWTD never forgets…

This is locally relevant... on 00:14 - Dec 17 with 1162 viewsmonytowbray

This is locally relevant... on 23:59 - Dec 16 by jeera

"2 slaughter houses penalised for major issues with the suffering of animals during the killing process, while another received a serious fault for a lack of staff certification relating to animal welfare" ; 3 animal welfare breaches overall.

The majority of breaches were for food hygiene reasons.

Doesn't sound good, agree.

I know/have known a few people in various roles within the meat processing industry and have heard some pretty mixed reports from each. From stories of neglect and abuse to the praising of standards of some institutions.

Makes you wonder how some places get away with what they do. You'd think someone would grass up poor behaviour.

There have been recent reports around the people who work in these places and their mental well being. I imagine a fair few become desensitised to what they see, even in extreme cases, or are just a bit f*cking savage to begin with.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/12/31/how-killing-animals-everyday-leaves-slaughterhous

I googled “slaughterhouse workers” to find that and clicked the news tab. The rest of the results were more stories of animal abuse. It’s very depressing.

TWTD never forgets…

This is locally relevant... on 00:22 - Dec 17 with 1156 viewsjeera

This is locally relevant... on 00:14 - Dec 17 by monytowbray

There have been recent reports around the people who work in these places and their mental well being. I imagine a fair few become desensitised to what they see, even in extreme cases, or are just a bit f*cking savage to begin with.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/12/31/how-killing-animals-everyday-leaves-slaughterhous

I googled “slaughterhouse workers” to find that and clicked the news tab. The rest of the results were more stories of animal abuse. It’s very depressing.

I can tell of 2 blokes I've worked with who are normal, grounded kinda people, both worked long stints in slaughterhouses.

One reported a colleague with whom he'd had few clashes over his treatment of pigs; kicking, beating them... the other said he'd seen nothing of the sort where he worked.

People are always going to be different and unfortunately will seep into all types of recruitment. They need calling out of course.

One of my neighbours was a quality control inspector and knowing him and, the way he speaks, was stringent. He likes rules and regulations.

A mate of mine used to work for the same firm (different location) and he's told many a story that would make people think twice about their dinner choices.

This is locally relevant... on 00:32 - Dec 17 with 1150 viewsmonytowbray

This is locally relevant... on 00:22 - Dec 17 by jeera

I can tell of 2 blokes I've worked with who are normal, grounded kinda people, both worked long stints in slaughterhouses.

One reported a colleague with whom he'd had few clashes over his treatment of pigs; kicking, beating them... the other said he'd seen nothing of the sort where he worked.

People are always going to be different and unfortunately will seep into all types of recruitment. They need calling out of course.

One of my neighbours was a quality control inspector and knowing him and, the way he speaks, was stringent. He likes rules and regulations.

A mate of mine used to work for the same firm (different location) and he's told many a story that would make people think twice about their dinner choices.

Had a scum mate at uni who did a brief stint in a meat packing plant who said all kinds of crap would be filtered from the meat - nuts and bolts, glass. And some of the staff liked to rub their balls on the meat and stuff. Which in hindsight I’m gutted I didn’t reply with some obvious dig about that lot north of the border.

TWTD never forgets…

This is locally relevant... on 00:39 - Dec 17 with 1139 viewsjeera

This is locally relevant... on 00:32 - Dec 17 by monytowbray

Had a scum mate at uni who did a brief stint in a meat packing plant who said all kinds of crap would be filtered from the meat - nuts and bolts, glass. And some of the staff liked to rub their balls on the meat and stuff. Which in hindsight I’m gutted I didn’t reply with some obvious dig about that lot north of the border.

Just around and about I got chatting a few times to a couple of guys who were hen catchers.

I didn't like the sound of that much. Barn hens crammed in by the tens of thousands, and they would wade through them catching them.

I can't remember the exact numbers and don't want to make them up, but the thing I do remember is them saying they'd have several in each hand at a time.

Several per hand.

This is locally relevant... on 01:19 - Dec 17 with 1125 viewsJ2BLUE

This is locally relevant... on 00:06 - Dec 17 by monytowbray

I can’t help to feel the best way to avoid funding it is to just not eat it full stop though? Unless you are the one actually rearing and slaughtering* it (or at least present for it) you can’t vouch what you’re eating had a “good” life.

*Which then goes into my opinion you can’t “humanely kill” anything that is healthy and not of full age, but for the sake of the topic I left it in.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 0:07]

Possibly. Depends how much you trust the place you're buying from. I've bought burgers from Suffolk Food Hall and seen cows grazing in a large open green area. My nan asked one of the restaurant staff why the animals kept going up and down. She was told that they were following the farmer so they certainly sound like they are treated well and have a good life when they are alive.

I agree you can't humanely kill in the context you're thinking of it. There are kinder deaths but I agree that they don't want to die and therefore it's not humane.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

This is locally relevant... on 08:29 - Dec 17 with 1011 viewsitfcjoe

Guess everything is related to cost, to keep prices where they need to be the factories can't do the work for the right prices so corners are cut and cut. Not good though.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of proper campaign to get people to eat less meat - like the 5 fruit and veg a day thing to try and have people have meat free days in their week. If everyone had one meat free day a week that would make a massive difference I'd presume.

Although with a no deal Brexit it'll be tins of spam soon any way!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is locally relevant... on 10:52 - Dec 17 with 941 viewsmonytowbray

This is locally relevant... on 08:29 - Dec 17 by itfcjoe

Guess everything is related to cost, to keep prices where they need to be the factories can't do the work for the right prices so corners are cut and cut. Not good though.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of proper campaign to get people to eat less meat - like the 5 fruit and veg a day thing to try and have people have meat free days in their week. If everyone had one meat free day a week that would make a massive difference I'd presume.

Although with a no deal Brexit it'll be tins of spam soon any way!

It will happen sooner or later, meat will become a "luxury" item, and from there will also probably end up shunned like fur.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024