Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! 10:32 - Jan 2 with 4122 viewsjasondozzell

Anyone see any similarities between the situation Burley inherited in 94 and Lambert coming in? I was only young when Burley arrived so would be interested to know how older posters think it compares. Both inherited poor teams with relegation all but confirmed. Burley began building for division 1 with youngsters - Lambert doing the same?
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 10:36]
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:40 - Jan 2 with 4073 viewsSomethingBlue

If Lambert was definitely sticking around then there could at least be an argument for that — not that I necessarily agree — but I'm yet to be convinced he is.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:42 - Jan 2 with 4048 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:40 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

If Lambert was definitely sticking around then there could at least be an argument for that — not that I necessarily agree — but I'm yet to be convinced he is.

I'm not convinced he will get any good offers from elsewhere as it stands.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:48 - Jan 2 with 4016 viewsRIPbobby

I think had we won yesterday marcus would have thrown money at survival. Now he will protect his asset and hope we pick up a Rotherham win and perhaps invest again.
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:50 - Jan 2 with 4002 viewschicoazul

As long as Lambert doesnt sign an ageing forward who may or may not be a wife beater.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:51 - Jan 2 with 3996 viewsReuser_is_God

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:48 - Jan 2 by RIPbobby

I think had we won yesterday marcus would have thrown money at survival. Now he will protect his asset and hope we pick up a Rotherham win and perhaps invest again.

Evans isn't going to change his strategy on a game by game basis.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:54 - Jan 2 with 3976 viewsThe_Major

This did cross my mind the other day, there are a fair few similarities, but of course Burley had the benefit of being Burley, and we beat Leicester and Liverpool early on.

Mind you, if the interweb was widespread then, we'd have had people calling for his head after Old Trafford...
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:58 - Jan 2 with 3950 viewsSteve_M

Maybe, although there is a lot of hindsight in that view now. We were an utter mess and there was not a great deal of evidence that things were improving on the pitch despite a handful of better results.

I think Sheepshanks accession to Chairman was important as well, it showed fresh leadership off the pitch and his more public face contrasted well with John Kerr.

And, as SB says, there really is no guarantee that Lambert will still be here next season. I would sincerely hope he is but, at this point, I doubt even he knows.

We're also in a very different football environment where our promising players will be picked off by Premier League clubs for what to them is small change.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 11:04 - Jan 2 with 3926 viewsRIPbobby

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:51 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

Evans isn't going to change his strategy on a game by game basis.

I'd normally day I agree with you. But with Marcus being a shrewd business chap he will say that catching up essentially 11 points is tough and would plan more for relegation than survival. Hence if we beat Rotherham he may throw caution to the wind and go for a risky signing on wages over his buffer zone.
Login to get fewer ads

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 11:10 - Jan 2 with 3885 viewsPinewoodblue

Burley began by signing Lee Chapman

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 11:10 - Jan 2 with 3884 viewsRyorry

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 11:04 - Jan 2 by RIPbobby

I'd normally day I agree with you. But with Marcus being a shrewd business chap he will say that catching up essentially 11 points is tough and would plan more for relegation than survival. Hence if we beat Rotherham he may throw caution to the wind and go for a risky signing on wages over his buffer zone.

"with Marcus being a shrewd business chap..."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 13:03 - Jan 2 with 3734 viewsIllinoisblue

Does this mean we’re going to lose 9-0 to somebody before the season is over

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 16:28 - Jan 2 with 3563 viewsSE1blue

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 10:54 - Jan 2 by The_Major

This did cross my mind the other day, there are a fair few similarities, but of course Burley had the benefit of being Burley, and we beat Leicester and Liverpool early on.

Mind you, if the interweb was widespread then, we'd have had people calling for his head after Old Trafford...

I remember a really nice comment from Sir Alex when Burley took Ipswich back to Old Trafford at Christmas in 2000.

SAF said Burley was one of the managers he admired the most as, despite the 9-0 hammering, George went over at the end of the game, looked him in the eye and said "Well played"...something he would have struggled to do in the same circumstances.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 16:55 - Jan 2 with 3516 viewsLeagueOne

Except that Forrest, Wark, Thompson, Taricco, Williams, Milton, Mason, Sedgeley, Slater, Marshall and co were more than good enough to play in the second division as proven before and after relegation. He also had scope to bring in good players like Mathie, Cundy and Mowbray alongside the youth a few smart scouts from Holland. Those were three good players of some pedigree at this level going back to the 90's and we forget that. Once Burley got going they were a good side who were unlucky to go up in 95/96 and 96/97.

We can rewrite 1994/95 all we like but we were a bad team that season, now we have the worst team we ever had with a budget that any club would struggle to compete with. You cannot compare the two scenarios at all, how is Lambert doing the same? He couldn't even begin to sign players of the calibre Burley brought in in today's relative terms with our budget. Whoever said we were Southend with a bigger stadium was spot on, again, down to the owner who's cut more than a Tory cabinet minister and the results are similar.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 17:07 - Jan 2 with 3490 viewsjjblue84

No
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 17:11 - Jan 2 with 3471 viewsconnorscontract

I think what you and everyone else are missing here, is the implication that it would then take Lambert 5 attempts to get us promoted from Division One.

I'd rather think of him as being rather like the Paul Lambert who took Norwich up from Div One at the first attempt, and then took them into the Prem.

If he does that and then decides to sod off to Aston Villa, we should be grateful and send him with our best wishes.
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 20:31 - Jan 2 with 3274 viewsOxford_Blue

Not really as burley had better players by far and was only being relegated to the (now) championship
Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 22:10 - Jan 2 with 3171 viewsJ2BLUE

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 11:10 - Jan 2 by Ryorry

"with Marcus being a shrewd business chap..."

????????

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 01:42 - Jan 3 with 3060 viewstextbackup

Burley in 94? Crumb of comfort! on 16:55 - Jan 2 by LeagueOne

Except that Forrest, Wark, Thompson, Taricco, Williams, Milton, Mason, Sedgeley, Slater, Marshall and co were more than good enough to play in the second division as proven before and after relegation. He also had scope to bring in good players like Mathie, Cundy and Mowbray alongside the youth a few smart scouts from Holland. Those were three good players of some pedigree at this level going back to the 90's and we forget that. Once Burley got going they were a good side who were unlucky to go up in 95/96 and 96/97.

We can rewrite 1994/95 all we like but we were a bad team that season, now we have the worst team we ever had with a budget that any club would struggle to compete with. You cannot compare the two scenarios at all, how is Lambert doing the same? He couldn't even begin to sign players of the calibre Burley brought in in today's relative terms with our budget. Whoever said we were Southend with a bigger stadium was spot on, again, down to the owner who's cut more than a Tory cabinet minister and the results are similar.

"Forrest, Wark, Thompson, Taricco, Williams, Milton, Mason, Sedgeley, Slater, Marshall and co were more than good enough to play in the second division"

same could be said for Gerken, chambers, skuse, sears, wolfenden etc

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024