Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A fascinating watch 22:52 - Jan 8 with 543 viewsRyorry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0by86v5/icons-series-1-1-leaders

Could do with a couple of them in the UK right now. The last 15 mins on Mandela brought a tear to the eye - what a statesman.

[Post edited 8 Jan 2019 22:52]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A fascinating watch on 23:10 - Jan 8 with 514 viewsBent_double

Agreed, a great watch.

Despite the 2 British PMs, I'd be inclined to vote for Roosevelt, he seemed to have a bigger impact on the US and the world during his time as President.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

A fascinating watch on 09:50 - Jan 9 with 434 viewsRyorry

A fascinating watch on 23:10 - Jan 8 by Bent_double

Agreed, a great watch.

Despite the 2 British PMs, I'd be inclined to vote for Roosevelt, he seemed to have a bigger impact on the US and the world during his time as President.

I voted for Mandela because he showed what could be achieved by one individual who, far from being born into a privileged position, was the exact opposite - opressed, discriminated against etc. To turn round the political system in SA like that was absolutely miraculous, and as the prog showed, inspired ordinary people around the world to rise up - hence the Berlin wall coming down etc. Part of that was his extraordinary wisdom and dignity - eg “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”

FDR would have been my second choice; hadn't realised before the prog how influential he was in taking the USA into WW2 - arguably just as influential as Churchill, but without the flaws. Plus his achievements in public works programmes & pretty much ridding the world of polio.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024