Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Andy Murray died? 22:14 - Jan 11 with 5760 viewsslump

I know that he must be disappointed that he's having to give up the game that he's lived year on year but the coverage is a bit OTT

And he's a sweaty...

UTT

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:19 - Jan 11 with 4651 viewswkj

To be fair he was part of a great british sporting resurgence and plays some remarkable Tennis; I think his coverage is justified to be honest. A guy who had he been born 10 years sooner would have dominated tennis, but had to win in ways other brits had not won amoung a golden age of tennis players.

It means the world to him does this sport, you can tell, and usually I find blubs tremendously awkward, but when he was doing a presser and collapsed into a mini breakdown like that, I was wanting a journo to break rank and throw their arm round him (I would have done)

There is also the nature of his injury, one that has clearly robbed him of the twilight of his career and incredibly painful are socket injuries, let alone trying to play through 'em.

In short, I say let it be what it is- Wayne Rooney will soon do something like gob on a pavement to reclaim the media circus' attention.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:08]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:23 - Jan 11 with 4633 viewsgtsb

I have to agree with this. The BBC had this as their main headline on the six o'clock news ffs!!!!
Has Andy Murray died? on 22:27 - Jan 11 with 4610 viewsslump

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:19 - Jan 11 by wkj

To be fair he was part of a great british sporting resurgence and plays some remarkable Tennis; I think his coverage is justified to be honest. A guy who had he been born 10 years sooner would have dominated tennis, but had to win in ways other brits had not won amoung a golden age of tennis players.

It means the world to him does this sport, you can tell, and usually I find blubs tremendously awkward, but when he was doing a presser and collapsed into a mini breakdown like that, I was wanting a journo to break rank and throw their arm round him (I would have done)

There is also the nature of his injury, one that has clearly robbed him of the twilight of his career and incredibly painful are socket injuries, let alone trying to play through 'em.

In short, I say let it be what it is- Wayne Rooney will soon do something like gob on a pavement to reclaim the media circus' attention.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:08]

And to be world number one in the era of Nadal, Djokovic and Federer is some feat. I get it!

I've had the radio on most of the day and as much as I get it, it just seems somewhat overdone.

In Rooney's defence it was a little bit of dribble due to mixing J2O and Night Nurse.

UTT

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:28 - Jan 11 with 4601 viewswkj

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:27 - Jan 11 by slump

And to be world number one in the era of Nadal, Djokovic and Federer is some feat. I get it!

I've had the radio on most of the day and as much as I get it, it just seems somewhat overdone.

In Rooney's defence it was a little bit of dribble due to mixing J2O and Night Nurse.

I thought Rooney was more into the matron than the nurse.

Crybaby

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:30 - Jan 11 with 4587 viewsslump

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:28 - Jan 11 by wkj

I thought Rooney was more into the matron than the nurse.

I was referring to oral dribble on this occasion

UTT

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:36 - Jan 11 with 4551 viewsFtnfwest

Still looks to be in the same mood he always was to me
Has Andy Murray died? on 22:59 - Jan 11 with 4500 viewsstonojnr

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:23 - Jan 11 by gtsb

I have to agree with this. The BBC had this as their main headline on the six o'clock news ffs!!!!

not just the main headline, they dragged Sue Barker all the way down to an empty & closed centre court at Wimbledon just to do a soundbite interview on it !?!?
Has Andy Murray died? on 23:15 - Jan 11 with 4465 viewsStokieBlue

He deserves all the praise and accolades he is getting today.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 23:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:22 - Jan 11 with 4450 viewsgtsb

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:15 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

He deserves all the praise and accolades he is getting today.

SB
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 23:21]

He deserves the accolades for his achievements in tennis 100% but it's hardly the main news item on the main BBC news slot.
Has Andy Murray died? on 23:24 - Jan 11 with 4444 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

still waiting for an ENGLISHMAN to win Wimbledon

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:29 - Jan 11 with 4437 viewspelles321

I wish every player who played for town had his passion. You could see in the interview that tennis wasn’t about the money or fame, it was just a love to play it and a want to be the very best.

I’m sure a lot of that fighting spirit links to some of the mental resilience a young child has to build after witnessing something as traumatic as the Dunblane shooting. The Murray’s success has helped a lot of people from there overcome that awful experience. I am biased, but think you’d have to be pretty cold hearted to not feel for the guy when watching the interview.
Has Andy Murray died? on 23:33 - Jan 11 with 4426 viewsStokieBlue

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:22 - Jan 11 by gtsb

He deserves the accolades for his achievements in tennis 100% but it's hardly the main news item on the main BBC news slot.

Makes a nice change from being shown an incompetent bunch of inept politicians.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:33 - Jan 11 with 4424 viewsslump

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:29 - Jan 11 by pelles321

I wish every player who played for town had his passion. You could see in the interview that tennis wasn’t about the money or fame, it was just a love to play it and a want to be the very best.

I’m sure a lot of that fighting spirit links to some of the mental resilience a young child has to build after witnessing something as traumatic as the Dunblane shooting. The Murray’s success has helped a lot of people from there overcome that awful experience. I am biased, but think you’d have to be pretty cold hearted to not feel for the guy when watching the interview.

There's no doubt that he's the best British tennis player in history and yes, I can understand that he's gutted and I feel for him.

It's more the rinse repeat rinse of the media coverage that I think is OTT.

UTT

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:40 - Jan 11 with 4410 viewspelles321

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:33 - Jan 11 by slump

There's no doubt that he's the best British tennis player in history and yes, I can understand that he's gutted and I feel for him.

So the media will only continue discussing it if it’s appealing to the viewers. My guess is the amount of people watching the interview and discussing it through the day means media editors still see it as newsworthy. Sure it’s frustrating if you’re job means you hear about it throughout the day, but maybe you underestimate how significant it may be to some people?

Plus at least it’s a break from brexit!
Has Andy Murray died? on 23:53 - Jan 11 with 4379 viewsjeera

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:40 - Jan 11 by pelles321

So the media will only continue discussing it if it’s appealing to the viewers. My guess is the amount of people watching the interview and discussing it through the day means media editors still see it as newsworthy. Sure it’s frustrating if you’re job means you hear about it throughout the day, but maybe you underestimate how significant it may be to some people?

Plus at least it’s a break from brexit!

"Plus at least it’s a break from brexit!"

Quite. Broadcasters are probably relieved to have something else to report other than Syria, Trump and Brexit.

I've not seen the news today myself tbf, but I did look at this thread title and wonder what qualifies any story concerning a celebrity as a top of the news item.

When famous people die I'm sure they receive a lot less fuss than they used to.

There was a time when someone famous died folk would take to the streets and light torches and hold vigils. Newspapers would be front to back full of memorabilia pull-outs.

The queen might say something.

Nowadays feck all in comparison.

When George Michael died there was an old stock photo of him and Andrew Ridgeley shown a few times and something mumbled about some public toilets.

That seemed to be about it really.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Has Andy Murray died? on 00:38 - Jan 12 with 4354 viewsGuthrum

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:24 - Jan 11 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Ten already have, a total of thirty times between them. Most recently, of course, Fred Perry (who once played in an exhibition match at which my mother was a ball-girl).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Has Andy Murray died? on 06:33 - Jan 12 with 4234 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:24 - Jan 11 by Jonnosdreadlocks

LOL, good for you

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Has Andy Murray died? on 07:08 - Jan 12 with 4209 viewsDarth_Koont

Has Andy Murray died? on 00:38 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

Ten already have, a total of thirty times between them. Most recently, of course, Fred Perry (who once played in an exhibition match at which my mother was a ball-girl).

I think the accepted term is transgender.

Pronouns: He/Him

Has Andy Murray died? on 08:27 - Jan 12 with 4145 viewsGriller

Couldn't agree more. A good tennis player I grant you but do we really have to suffer more of his wet Scottish whingeing throughout the day as the main news story on the BBC with so much else going on at the moment?! Thank goodness no-one dropped a cake on Bake Off or broke a leg on Strictly!!
Has Andy Murray died? on 08:44 - Jan 12 with 4123 viewsbentley_blue

Great sportsmen die twice....apparently!
Has Andy Murray died? on 08:49 - Jan 12 with 4103 viewsBenters2

Has Andy Murray died? on 22:23 - Jan 11 by gtsb

Yeah and he is one boring fk.

His mum on the other hand...
Has Andy Murray died? on 08:50 - Jan 12 with 4102 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Feel for the guy - I break down like that everytime I see the Championship table.
Has Andy Murray died? on 09:06 - Jan 12 with 4071 viewsm14_blue

Has Andy Murray died? on 23:33 - Jan 11 by slump

It is OTT, but only in the same way that every news story is in these days of rolling 24/7 channels desperate to fill airtime and websites over dramatising everything in the hope of harvesting a few more clicks.

Murray is/was a fantastic tennis player, the best ever British player and a wonderful competitor who squeezed every drop of potential from his body.

He’s also much funnier than he gets credit for and deserves lots of praise for his off court behaviour around equality.

However, I do think the talk of him being the greatest ever British sportsman are a little overblown for someone who was the fourth best tennis player of his generation.
Has Andy Murray died? on 09:10 - Jan 12 with 4058 viewswkj

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:06 - Jan 12 by m14_blue

It is OTT, but only in the same way that every news story is in these days of rolling 24/7 channels desperate to fill airtime and websites over dramatising everything in the hope of harvesting a few more clicks.

Murray is/was a fantastic tennis player, the best ever British player and a wonderful competitor who squeezed every drop of potential from his body.

He’s also much funnier than he gets credit for and deserves lots of praise for his off court behaviour around equality.

However, I do think the talk of him being the greatest ever British sportsman are a little overblown for someone who was the fourth best tennis player of his generation.

Maybe not the greatest British sportsman, but the criteria of Fouth best of his generation is a bit skewed as a justification against it. Djokovic, Nada, Federer and Murray were all elite players who seemed to bloom at the same time, usually you only have a couple of greats at a time with others trying to sneak something special.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:27]

Crybaby

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:14 - Jan 12 with 4047 viewsm14_blue

Has Andy Murray died? on 09:10 - Jan 12 by wkj

Maybe not the greatest British sportsman, but the criteria of Fouth best of his generation is a bit skewed as a justification against it. Djokovic, Nada, Federer and Murray were all elite players who seemed to bloom at the same time, usually you only have a couple of greats at a time with others trying to sneak something special.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 9:27]

Perhaps, I would still think that the greatest British sportsman of all time should be the leading player in their field.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024