Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking 15:33 - Jan 13 with 3249 viewsDubtractor

With their forwards stopping us from playing out from the back, we were reliant on longer goal kicks. WIth Gerken struggling to kick much past the halfway line, and them often winning the challenge (Keane and Quaner didn't win much second half!) we were instantly on the back foot again.

It meant we could neither play for possession or for territory.

Compare that to their keeper who had an almighty welly on him and could stick us under major pressure from the edge of his own box.

Not sure there is an easy fix as Bart's kicking is that much better is it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 15:39 - Jan 13 with 3212 viewsbackwaywhen

We didn’t help ourselves by being non existent in midfield.... we need to look to come for the ball from keepers kick , that way at least they would have had to track that and leave a little mor space up front .
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 15:44 - Jan 13 with 3186 viewsthebooks

I didn't think it was *that* bad, more our inability to either play it out (which we did in the first half but then lost our confidence) or win second balls. My son and I ended playing guess guess which Rotherham player would win the defensive header and then which number would win the second ball. It happened virtually every time.
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 15:53 - Jan 13 with 3163 viewshomer_123

In the scheme of things... it's way down the list.

Yesterday was a repeat of Milwall. Our inability to keep possession, panicking on the ball and defending from the front. Like Milwall, for all the good work in the first half, we were shocking second half.

Lambert had us playing narrower, squeezing the space but we couldn't keep the ball and get a breather.

Pennington at RB and Collins and Chambers kept us in it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:03 - Jan 13 with 3130 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not sure we were "under major pressure" from their keeper's kicks - not the way I saw it.

However, Gerken's did mean we never relieved the pressure we were under.

He needs to aim it left so that it ends up at least in play and we need to get our best headers/combatants from attack/midfield under it - Quaner/Chalobah/Skuse? Keep Sears wide left and switch it if we get hold of it and Elder giving a shorter option left with the intention of playing it straight to Sears but pushing up as soon as he is not used so he doesn't create a deep defensive line if we lose the ball.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:20 - Jan 13 with 3088 viewsDubtractor

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:03 - Jan 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not sure we were "under major pressure" from their keeper's kicks - not the way I saw it.

He needs to aim it left so that it ends up at least in play and we need to get our best headers/combatants from attack/midfield under it - Quaner/Chalobah/Skuse? Keep Sears wide left and switch it if we get hold of it and Elder giving a shorter option left with the intention of playing it straight to Sears but pushing up as soon as he is not used so he doesn't create a deep defensive line if we lose the ball.

Under major pressure probably the wrong term, but he was dropping it onto the edge of our box at times, and they won a hell of a lot of free kicks from scruffy play following on from loose balls.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:25 - Jan 13 with 3069 viewschristiand

He just can’t kick it that far. It would help at times if he could get it further up the pitch as it would push us up a bit too and gain us some territory especially when trying to win that second ball.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:48 - Jan 13 with 3011 viewsbackwaywhen

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:03 - Jan 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

First half we were leaving Sears up for their corners and free kicks , meaning they put two on him and not in our box ... second half he was back with the rest defending , meaning they put everyone in our box ..... nightmare .
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 17:28 - Jan 13 with 2915 viewschristiand

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 16:48 - Jan 13 by backwaywhen

First half we were leaving Sears up for their corners and free kicks , meaning they put two on him and not in our box ... second half he was back with the rest defending , meaning they put everyone in our box ..... nightmare .

I can never understand this. Soon as it’s cleared we are under pressure again. At least having someone up the pitch, it allows competition for the ball and it gives us some time to push up to the edge of our area or a little further. Why not be bold and keep two up? They’ll never mark with just two defenders, they’ll keep three back. Having everyone back just seems pointless.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 19:16]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 18:43 - Jan 13 with 2828 viewsbackwaywhen

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 17:28 - Jan 13 by christiand

I can never understand this. Soon as it’s cleared we are under pressure again. At least having someone up the pitch, it allows competition for the ball and it gives us some time to push up to the edge of our area or a little further. Why not be bold and keep two up? They’ll never mark with just two defenders, they’ll keep three back. Having everyone back just seems pointless.

Makes you wonder what their thinking is on situations like this .
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 21:31 - Jan 13 with 2707 viewsm14_blue

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 17:28 - Jan 13 by christiand

Yeah, I hate this.

It’s not like Freddie is going to be much use defending a corner. Just invites pressure and also effects the mentality of the team, much the same as time wasting too early. I hate that too and so often a team that has been on top surrenders the initiative as they’re so desperate to start ‘managing the game’.
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 21:37 - Jan 13 with 2694 viewsclive_baker

Very true, his kicking is gash.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 21:43 - Jan 13 with 2677 viewsportmanking

Gerken's past issues with his hip have really affected his kicking according to someone I know who's a regular visitor to the training ground. He doesn't get enough 'snap' or power through his hips since his injuries. It won't get any better.
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 21:45 - Jan 13 with 2668 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm coming round quickly to the idea that we need to be looking at two new keepers in the summer. Bart isn't offering value for money this year and DG has never inspired any kind of confidence in me, and more importantly, in the defence.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 21:47 - Jan 13 with 2654 viewsDubtractor

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 21:43 - Jan 13 by portmanking

Gerken's past issues with his hip have really affected his kicking according to someone I know who's a regular visitor to the training ground. He doesn't get enough 'snap' or power through his hips since his injuries. It won't get any better.

You can tell he doesn't kick through the ball properly - the ball is always spinning backwards, he obviously kicks underneath the ball rather than through it.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 21:53]

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 04:45 - Jan 14 with 2500 viewsBenters2

It wasn’t great was it,but hey we won and it was exciting trying to hang on!
A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 06:53 - Jan 14 with 2431 viewsJoHnNnY

I’ve always said using your keeper to clear the ball should be a last option, 8/10 results in losing possession. With Gerkin it’s greater chance, as we arent the best at bringing ball down ... AND like you say, he can’t kick, if it went well into their half at least you buy yourself a chance to win it in an opportunity making area of the pitch.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 06:58 - Jan 14 with 2417 viewsKieran_Knows

That’s the issue, Bart’s kicking isn’t much better either. I said yesterday, I think if PL had another loan spot available, he would’ve brought in another keeper.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

A big problem second half yesterday - Gerken's kicking on 07:47 - Jan 14 with 2344 viewsBluebell

We noticed several times on Saturday Freddie was on his own on the left for a goal kick. Everybody else seemed to head towards the right. How easy would it be for Gerken to kick straight to Freddie rather than to the pack?

As others have said, why don't we keep a couple of players higher up the pitch for corners and free kicks like other teams do. If we can get hold of the ball and kick up the pitch we would have players there to deal with it rather than kicking it up straight to an opposing player.

Several times on Saturday their keeper was almost on the half way line to take a kick. How easy would it have been to try to get the ball to one of our players who could then kick towards their goal?

I should be a football manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024