Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs 15:56 - Jan 23 with 3607 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is this the same Theresa May that delayed the Brexit vote over Christmas?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:06 - Jan 23 with 3199 viewsGlasgowBlue

She’s talking about delaying the actual date that we are due to leave. Which is written into law as March 29.

There are plenty of thing to call May out over but you are comparing apples with oranges on this one.

Do you think it should be delayed, with another year of uncertainty for British business?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 16:07]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:12 - Jan 23 with 3180 viewsBrixtonBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:06 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

She’s talking about delaying the actual date that we are due to leave. Which is written into law as March 29.

There are plenty of thing to call May out over but you are comparing apples with oranges on this one.

Do you think it should be delayed, with another year of uncertainty for British business?

Absolutely not.

I don't think she should've delayed the vote over Christmas either.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:24 - Jan 23 with 3159 viewsGlasgowBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:12 - Jan 23 by BrixtonBlue

Absolutely not.

I don't think she should've delayed the vote over Christmas either.

But you understand that the two are not comparable, right?

Iron Lion Zion

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:28 - Jan 23 with 3151 viewsSwansea_Blue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:06 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Agreed. Although of course voting for it in the first place created infinitesimally more uncertainty for British businesses.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:38 - Jan 23 with 3128 viewsDarth_Koont

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:28 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed. Although of course voting for it in the first place created infinitesimally more uncertainty for British businesses.

Agreed. And even if she felt duty-bound to go ahead with Brexit after the referendum (which is debatable considering her lack of duty since), May and her Brexit team caused more uncertainty and concern immediately talking up a hard Brexit and even a no deal. So that's two and a half years of cluelessness and bravado that serves her and her party but does nothing for British business nor the concerns of millions of EU and British citizens living on the other side of an eventual divide.

Not to mention the whole Irish border mess and alliance with the DUP ...

Worst. Prime Minister. Ever.

Pronouns: He/Him

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:38 - Jan 23 with 3122 viewsNo9

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:28 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

The UK arch brexiter Dyson is moving his outfit out + P&O are re-flagging their ferries in Cyprus, Sony moving out of London are just the latest to confirm how wonderful brexit will be.

Such a good place for business with long term assurances from this government
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:39 - Jan 23 with 3126 viewsGuthrum

Better to delay and find a solution than to fall accidentally of the end of the pier.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:41 - Jan 23 with 3118 viewsSwansea_Blue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:38 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. And even if she felt duty-bound to go ahead with Brexit after the referendum (which is debatable considering her lack of duty since), May and her Brexit team caused more uncertainty and concern immediately talking up a hard Brexit and even a no deal. So that's two and a half years of cluelessness and bravado that serves her and her party but does nothing for British business nor the concerns of millions of EU and British citizens living on the other side of an eventual divide.

Not to mention the whole Irish border mess and alliance with the DUP ...

Worst. Prime Minister. Ever.

Yep, although I could get into a Jewell v Keane debate on this. I see Cameron as the worse as he was incredibly weak. But then May is incredibly unrealistic and stubborn. Depends which is worse really.

Login to get fewer ads

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:42 - Jan 23 with 3111 viewsWithnail

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:39 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

Better to delay and find a solution than to fall accidentally of the end of the pier.

Accidentally?

The MPs voted in favour of it.
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:45 - Jan 23 with 3101 viewsDarth_Koont

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:41 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, although I could get into a Jewell v Keane debate on this. I see Cameron as the worse as he was incredibly weak. But then May is incredibly unrealistic and stubborn. Depends which is worse really.

Yes, both bad in different ways. Unfortunately, May's vain pride in her own limpet-like strength means she's around longer to screw more things up.

Pronouns: He/Him

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:54 - Jan 23 with 3085 viewsSwansea_Blue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:45 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

Yes, both bad in different ways. Unfortunately, May's vain pride in her own limpet-like strength means she's around longer to screw more things up.

Ah, you see - that adds cowardice to my case for Cameron

You're spot on though. I hated her when she was Home Sec. She's done nothing since to change my mind.

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:54 - Jan 23 with 3087 viewsGuthrum

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:42 - Jan 23 by Withnail

Accidentally?

The MPs voted in favour of it.

They voted in favour of triggering Article 50 with the expectation of there being a negotiated withdrawal. The whole point at the time was that the EU would not begin serious talks until it had been invoked.

The accidentally part is in failing to have secured any kind of deal in the two whole years they had available. In large part through wasting time (particularly with that General Election).

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:58 - Jan 23 with 3078 viewsBloomBlue

Well Barnier has said a no deal will happen even if the no deal option is taken off the table unless the EU can see a large majority in the HoC for another solution. And as we're never going to see that in the HoC a no deal it is.
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:01 - Jan 23 with 3062 viewsjjblue84

Just get on with it!!
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:10 - Jan 23 with 3037 viewsNo9

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:54 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

Ah, you see - that adds cowardice to my case for Cameron

You're spot on though. I hated her when she was Home Sec. She's done nothing since to change my mind.

Worst Home Sec, worst PM, just needs to be the worst Foreign Sec to get a full house?
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:13 - Jan 23 with 3028 viewsNo9

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:38 - Jan 23 by No9

The UK arch brexiter Dyson is moving his outfit out + P&O are re-flagging their ferries in Cyprus, Sony moving out of London are just the latest to confirm how wonderful brexit will be.

Such a good place for business with long term assurances from this government

Now Santander to close 140 bank branches in the UK
Good place to do business?
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:16 - Jan 23 with 3020 viewseireblue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:10 - Jan 23 by No9

Worst Home Sec, worst PM, just needs to be the worst Foreign Sec to get a full house?

She outsourced that award to Boris.
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:19 - Jan 23 with 3014 viewsGlasgowBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:39 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

Which we won't do if Parliament votes in favour of her deal.

Iron Lion Zion

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:21 - Jan 23 with 3007 viewsGlasgowBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:54 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

They voted in favour of triggering Article 50 with the expectation of there being a negotiated withdrawal. The whole point at the time was that the EU would not begin serious talks until it had been invoked.

The accidentally part is in failing to have secured any kind of deal in the two whole years they had available. In large part through wasting time (particularly with that General Election).

There is a negotiated withdrawal. It was voted down by the same people who are worried that we will fall off the edge of a cliff.

Iron Lion Zion

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:22 - Jan 23 with 2996 viewsBrixtonBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:24 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

But you understand that the two are not comparable, right?

Not really, no.

Delaying the final deal is bad, as you've said.

Delaying the vote, as she did, "would allow less time for the ensuing Brexit legislation to be passed through parliament before 29 March."

Both delays are bad. But her one is ok?

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:24 - Jan 23 with 2985 viewsGuthrum

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:19 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Which we won't do if Parliament votes in favour of her deal.

Indeed. But will it?

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:24 - Jan 23 with 2985 viewsBrixtonBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 16:45 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

Strong and stable!

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:27 - Jan 23 with 2977 viewsGlasgowBlue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:22 - Jan 23 by BrixtonBlue

Not really, no.

Delaying the final deal is bad, as you've said.

Delaying the vote, as she did, "would allow less time for the ensuing Brexit legislation to be passed through parliament before 29 March."

Both delays are bad. But her one is ok?

Itb wasn't ok to delay the vote. It was cowardly. But delaying the vote for a few weeks does not compare with delaying leaving the EU by a year oir however long the Cooper amendment suggests.

I fear we won't agree on this.

Iron Lion Zion

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:28 - Jan 23 with 2975 viewseireblue

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:24 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

Indeed. But will it?

Is there something Ironic about a PM not wanting to be seen to go back to the electorate to get a different answer to a slightly different question, that is relying on going back to parliament to get a different answer to a slightly different question.
Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:29 - Jan 23 with 2971 viewsGuthrum

Delaying Brexit won't solve anything, Theresa May tells MPs on 17:21 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

There is a negotiated withdrawal. It was voted down by the same people who are worried that we will fall off the edge of a cliff.

Yes.

If we'd got to this stage a year ago, then there would be plenty of time to fine tune things. But we're down to the last few weeks.

Which gives us a choice - negotiate on an risk No Deal, or extend to give some breathing space?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024