Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! 11:40 - Feb 3 with 4231 viewsreusersfreekicks

Remember the first half v Reading away, looked like the beginning of a new dawn playing great passing football and scoring twice. And now look at us, in a worse positiin than when Hurst left. Not for a minute saying Lambert should go, he should be given the rebuild job next season, i think! However he simply hasn't improved things enough, if at all. Defence still leaks goals, midfield is static and attack impotent. He has bought new pkayers in of questionable quality, Elder, Quaner and Dawkins don't seem better than what we have. We have a massive squad of low quality. Yes some results have been unfortunate with dodgy refereeing but even with the players we have we should be doing better points wise. I am now doubtibg his ability to turn us round medium/long term. I really hope i am wrong
on 11:41 - Feb 3 with 3100 views_

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:46 - Feb 3 with 3074 viewsChampionship

Lambert really has had his hands tied. The rot is so deep and he's had to rely on loans while we're all but dead and buried.

Give him next season.
Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:46 - Feb 3 with 3068 viewsthebooks

on 11:41 - Feb 3 by _

Not sure I buy this analogy. We're not playing Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea et al and the club was still big enough to invest in players when we were relegated.

At the moment we're struggling against very average teams and the squad's been decimated. There's little sign there'll be any investment next year.
on 11:48 - Feb 3 with 3048 views_

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:46 - Feb 3 by Championship

Lambert really has had his hands tied. The rot is so deep and he's had to rely on loans while we're all but dead and buried.

Give him next season.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:51 - Feb 3 with 3031 viewssparks

I am a little baffled by a number of things. Clearly he has major issues in terms of confidence. momentum and players to address which are not his making.

The absence of any suggestion that we might score goals though, is worrying. We have talented attacking players- Judge, Lankester, Bishop. We have brought in 2 strikers at his behest- and we are still showing absolutely nothing. I question the pattern and formation. Its simply not working. Sears offers not enough as a wide player and Judge is limited in his impact. The midfield, crucially, simply could not obtain and retain the ball in a way which might feed the attacking three. They did not link with the striker or wide men.

Most of our passing was done by our defenders- who are not well suited to making and using space. Our midfielders rarely got on the ball in space except right at the back. SW however, constantly had a man spare and made passing the ball around into space look very straightforward. There are team shape and tactical issues there.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:55 - Feb 3 with 2995 viewsthebooks

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:51 - Feb 3 by sparks

I am a little baffled by a number of things. Clearly he has major issues in terms of confidence. momentum and players to address which are not his making.

The absence of any suggestion that we might score goals though, is worrying. We have talented attacking players- Judge, Lankester, Bishop. We have brought in 2 strikers at his behest- and we are still showing absolutely nothing. I question the pattern and formation. Its simply not working. Sears offers not enough as a wide player and Judge is limited in his impact. The midfield, crucially, simply could not obtain and retain the ball in a way which might feed the attacking three. They did not link with the striker or wide men.

Most of our passing was done by our defenders- who are not well suited to making and using space. Our midfielders rarely got on the ball in space except right at the back. SW however, constantly had a man spare and made passing the ball around into space look very straightforward. There are team shape and tactical issues there.

Yes, this is my worry.

Yesterday we were poor tactically: big gap between defence/deep midfielder and the rest of the midfield and forwards. No overlapping fullbacks to bridge the gap. Result: Skuse to Nsiala to Pennington to Skuse to Nsiala to a Sheff Wed defender.

Also, if the defenders can't pass very well, I don't see any flexibility or another approach.
on 11:55 - Feb 3 with 2984 views_

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:46 - Feb 3 by thebooks

Not sure I buy this analogy. We're not playing Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea et al and the club was still big enough to invest in players when we were relegated.

At the moment we're struggling against very average teams and the squad's been decimated. There's little sign there'll be any investment next year.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:56 - Feb 3 with 2984 viewssparks

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:55 - Feb 3 by thebooks

Yes, this is my worry.

Yesterday we were poor tactically: big gap between defence/deep midfielder and the rest of the midfield and forwards. No overlapping fullbacks to bridge the gap. Result: Skuse to Nsiala to Pennington to Skuse to Nsiala to a Sheff Wed defender.

Also, if the defenders can't pass very well, I don't see any flexibility or another approach.

Part of this may well be confidence and time needed to bed new approaches in. It cant be done overnight. But we would say, I think, that the midfielders we had yesterday are all reasonably sound on the ball- and yet they couldnt retain it at all, let alone link with the attack.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:59 - Feb 3 with 2964 viewsthebooks

on 11:55 - Feb 3 by _

I hope so. It is more of a mess and a more difficult situation.

I *want* PL to do well, but it *is* concerning that there hasn't been a real improvement under him. It's ok to say everything will be better next season, but having seen too many poor games under PL (a grand total of 3 good halves of football, I think) and some odd tactics, I don't think it's that clear. Want to be wrong...
Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:00 - Feb 3 with 2958 viewspointofblue

on 11:48 - Feb 3 by _

Except Lambert has followed Hurst’s approach - a decent start, performance wise, which has quickly tailed off. Instead of sticking with those players, accepting defeats and allowing them to build up an understanding he chopped and changed then basically did a Hurst, bringing in more players to a bloated squad, trying to jam square pegs into round holes then wondering why it isn’t working.

Excluding Collins and Judge, played in his preferred position, none of the players in signed are really any better than what we had before. Dawkins at the club ahead of Rowe and Roberts, the latter especially having made a decent impression in Lambert’s early days, albeit out of position? Elder before Kenlock, yes, the latter did make an error yesterday but Elder had a ‘mare at Ewood? And it’s not as though we’ll benefit from his development. What have Keane and Quaner done to show they deserve a run out ahead of Harrison? Is Bree really a loanee we need when Donacien has actually performed reasonably well at that position when required this season... no, wait, he’s returned to Accrington.

In all honesty my preferred line up from the players on the clubs books would be Bialkowski, Donacien, Knudsen (Kenlock if Knudsen unhappy), Pennington, Collins, Skuse, Bishop, Sears, Roberts, Judge, Harrison - all players save Sears playing where they want to play and all actually our players excluding Pennington. Instead we have Judge on the right, Quaner as a lone striker and the six loan issue raising it’s head once again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:02 - Feb 3 with 2950 viewsthebooks

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:56 - Feb 3 by sparks

Part of this may well be confidence and time needed to bed new approaches in. It cant be done overnight. But we would say, I think, that the midfielders we had yesterday are all reasonably sound on the ball- and yet they couldnt retain it at all, let alone link with the attack.

Agreed. Judge looked OK on the ball, I think, and we know Skuse and Bishop can pass it well. I would play Chalobah over Downes, but that's jsut opinion, I guess. Could be confidence, but the team shape looked wrong to me.

Also, he's had more games than Hurst, and yesterday we looked just as bad.
on 12:02 - Feb 3 with 2937 views_

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:59 - Feb 3 by thebooks

I hope so. It is more of a mess and a more difficult situation.

I *want* PL to do well, but it *is* concerning that there hasn't been a real improvement under him. It's ok to say everything will be better next season, but having seen too many poor games under PL (a grand total of 3 good halves of football, I think) and some odd tactics, I don't think it's that clear. Want to be wrong...

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:04 - Feb 3 with 2909 viewsHerbivore

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:00 - Feb 3 by pointofblue

Except Lambert has followed Hurst’s approach - a decent start, performance wise, which has quickly tailed off. Instead of sticking with those players, accepting defeats and allowing them to build up an understanding he chopped and changed then basically did a Hurst, bringing in more players to a bloated squad, trying to jam square pegs into round holes then wondering why it isn’t working.

Excluding Collins and Judge, played in his preferred position, none of the players in signed are really any better than what we had before. Dawkins at the club ahead of Rowe and Roberts, the latter especially having made a decent impression in Lambert’s early days, albeit out of position? Elder before Kenlock, yes, the latter did make an error yesterday but Elder had a ‘mare at Ewood? And it’s not as though we’ll benefit from his development. What have Keane and Quaner done to show they deserve a run out ahead of Harrison? Is Bree really a loanee we need when Donacien has actually performed reasonably well at that position when required this season... no, wait, he’s returned to Accrington.

In all honesty my preferred line up from the players on the clubs books would be Bialkowski, Donacien, Knudsen (Kenlock if Knudsen unhappy), Pennington, Collins, Skuse, Bishop, Sears, Roberts, Judge, Harrison - all players save Sears playing where they want to play and all actually our players excluding Pennington. Instead we have Judge on the right, Quaner as a lone striker and the six loan issue raising it’s head once again.

Roberts is terrible.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:04 - Feb 3 with 2913 viewsSomethingBlue

Hold your nerve. He's having to try all sorts to sling a team together for the short term that might have a chance. It looks as if it probably won't work but that isn't on him. There is absolutely no reason to cast aspersions about his suitability for the long term. If we start baying for blood again then I have a spoiler for you: we end up far more fcuked than we already are.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:06 - Feb 3 with 2884 viewsSomethingBlue

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:56 - Feb 3 by sparks

It is a new team that has, especially in contrast to its rivals, had no time whatsoever to form patterns and relationships. It will look clunky and will be fairly easy to second guess by canny opponents. As I've just said elsewhere, as fans we really need to hold our nerve at this point.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:07 - Feb 3 with 2874 viewssparks

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:00 - Feb 3 by pointofblue

Good points here. Donacien should have had a run at RB. Kenlock should have been tried before Elder - though the Knudsen issue caused that problem. Quaner AND Keane seems excessive when we have several other strikers languishing. Quaner has show very little. Need to stick with one of them tbh and develop some patterns of play.

I dont hold to the idea that 1 up front is a bad thing- but it does depend on the team shape behind it and the wide forward players. Thats not working. Im tempted to say we need a shift to 2 up though Im not sure we have the players to make a 442 work either. Not enough in the wide spaces- and wed be leaving out our better players to create that shape.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:08 - Feb 3 with 2868 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

on 11:41 - Feb 3 by _

Not sure how that applies to Lambert though

He was brought in to fight relegation and has made 6 short term signings to try and achieve that - it’s evident from his signings and team selection he’s not currently building towards the future. In that context he has to be judged on results now - and currently they are not good enough, even allowing for what he inherited

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:08 - Feb 3 with 2869 viewsWickets

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:04 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Roberts is terrible.

I'm better than Roberts !
Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:10 - Feb 3 with 2863 viewssparks

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:04 - Feb 3 by SomethingBlue

Hold your nerve. He's having to try all sorts to sling a team together for the short term that might have a chance. It looks as if it probably won't work but that isn't on him. There is absolutely no reason to cast aspersions about his suitability for the long term. If we start baying for blood again then I have a spoiler for you: we end up far more fcuked than we already are.

I broadly agree with what you say. I am concerned at the apparent inability to change anything in terms of an obviously misfunctioning shape though. It was very clear yeseterday that the striker was entirely isolated and we were pretty much never going to score. Bishop was neutered and never got on the ball in positions where he might have an impact, Judge was marginalised whilst Bannan et al ran the show in the middle. Nothing was changed to address that.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:14 - Feb 3 with 2829 viewsSomethingBlue

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:08 - Feb 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He was brought in to fight relegation and has made 6 short term signings to try and achieve that - it’s evident from his signings and team selection he’s not currently building towards the future. In that context he has to be judged on results now - and currently they are not good enough, even allowing for what he inherited

He has a very tough juggling act - on one hand trying to cobble short-term results together and on the other trying to establish something throughout the club for the long term. I'll judge him on the latter, in time, because that's still ongoing too. It's perfectly reasonable to question team selections etc but if we start squealing for change again it will go very badly, mark my words.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:15 - Feb 3 with 2825 viewspointofblue

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:04 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Roberts is terrible.

Would personally disagree - he certainly gave us some bite and a focal point against Preston which we had lacked before then and that’s when he was playing out of position.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

on 12:15 - Feb 3 with 2820 views_

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:08 - Feb 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:16 - Feb 3 with 2819 viewsSWGF

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 11:55 - Feb 3 by thebooks

Yes, this is my worry.

Was the same at Villa, was the same against Rotherham (I wasn't at Blackburn). We don't have the midfield to play from the back. The defenders don't need someone who passes it straight back to them; may as well play a brick wall there instead. They end up having to lump it long as the play gets condensed in our half as we're pressed by the opposition. The defenders need someone to pass to who is going to turn and play a progressive pass or carry the ball. Chalobah attempted it a couple of times when he came on yesterday but he's a 19yr old centre half playing his first season of senior football.
To be fair, it was the same under MM when we attempted to play "passing football"; CB to CB to DM to CB to DM to CB. All it did was delay the inevitable whack upfield by Berra.

Again, when the CBs split and are marked, nobody from midfield shows for the ball from the GK so it gets lumped to an isolated forward who (given our keepers' dodgy distribution) may not find themselves within 30yds of the destination in any case.

Midfield is a serious problem in that it hardly shields the defence and offers no support to the attack but it's been that way for years.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

on 12:17 - Feb 3 with 2802 views_

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:10 - Feb 3 by sparks

I broadly agree with what you say. I am concerned at the apparent inability to change anything in terms of an obviously misfunctioning shape though. It was very clear yeseterday that the striker was entirely isolated and we were pretty much never going to score. Bishop was neutered and never got on the ball in positions where he might have an impact, Judge was marginalised whilst Bannan et al ran the show in the middle. Nothing was changed to address that.

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:20 - Feb 3 with 2767 viewsHerbivore

Oh blimey am now doubting Lambert! on 12:15 - Feb 3 by pointofblue

Would personally disagree - he certainly gave us some bite and a focal point against Preston which we had lacked before then and that’s when he was playing out of position.

He wasn't up to much in any of his other games though. He offered zero threat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024