Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reminds me of the Burley years 11:21 - Feb 19 with 3782 viewsFrimleyBlue

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:28 - Feb 19 with 3248 viewsSteve_M

Getting relegated?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

on 11:28 - Feb 19 with 3239 views_

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:32 - Feb 19 with 3226 viewsFrimleyBlue

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:28 - Feb 19 by Steve_M

Getting relegated?

Yes exactly that TBH

I fondly remember that the atmosphere was fantastic for Burley the year we went down in 94, everyone knew we were pretty much down, yet were on-board with what he was Looking to do with the club. Feels the same for me with Lambert

Waka waka eh eh

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:33 - Feb 19 with 3211 viewshomer_123

I love the smell of relegation in the morning.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:43 - Feb 19 with 3157 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How dare you try to be positive about anything! ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:46 - Feb 19 with 3137 viewsHerbivore

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:32 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

Yes exactly that TBH

I fondly remember that the atmosphere was fantastic for Burley the year we went down in 94, everyone knew we were pretty much down, yet were on-board with what he was Looking to do with the club. Feels the same for me with Lambert

My recollection of that time is 12k fans showing up and largely making little noise for games in the Prem. A game against Sheffield United in particular springs to mind.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:50 - Feb 19 with 3101 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:46 - Feb 19 by Herbivore

My recollection of that time is 12k fans showing up and largely making little noise for games in the Prem. A game against Sheffield United in particular springs to mind.

I went to Ipswich v Leeds at Elland Road that season, and the fans were great. Like the OP says, it was accepted that we were down.

Although we did lose 4-1. Yeboah scored a first half hat trick and the WHOLE ground, (including the Ipswich fans) was chanting his name.

All good fun.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:54 - Feb 19 with 3067 viewsFrimleyBlue

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:46 - Feb 19 by Herbivore

Crowds were low of course, there not crazy high at moment. But atmosphere was definitely there.

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

on 11:55 - Feb 19 with 3053 views_

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:54 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

Crowds were low of course, there not crazy high at moment. But atmosphere was definitely there.

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:56 - Feb 19 with 3047 viewsSteve_M

Yes exactly that TBH

There was a certain black humour as we went into '95, fans cheering a corner like a goal at Highbury and then celebrating madly when we scored our first goal in 8 matches. I'm not sure there was a massive feelgood factor about being relegated, there were many dire warnings about following Swindon to a second successive relegation.

The real positivity came later as we grew into a side that won matches frequently, Burley's achievement in turning a side that couldn't score goals into the highest scorers in the country with the addition only of Gus Uhlenbeek (plus Mowbray half-way through the season) is underrated in hindsight.

It's great that there is a latent positivity at this club and most of us are ready to make the best of where we are in the Summer but to keep that up we have to start winning matches regularly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:58 - Feb 19 with 3030 viewsFrimleyBlue

on 11:55 - Feb 19 by _

I was indeed. Sat nicely in the lower Churchmans, 4 rows from the back, 2nd seat across next to the players entrance. Loved it. Always wanted to sit in the north though but my dad wouldn't let me.
Oh I wish I could go back some years.

Waka waka eh eh

on 12:02 - Feb 19 with 2999 views_

Reminds me of the Burley years on 11:58 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

I was indeed. Sat nicely in the lower Churchmans, 4 rows from the back, 2nd seat across next to the players entrance. Loved it. Always wanted to sit in the north though but my dad wouldn't let me.
Oh I wish I could go back some years.

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:08 - Feb 19 with 2937 viewschicoazul

Napoleon ordered his generals to shoot soldiers who were said to be suffering from "nostalgia". We should start doing the same thing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:15 - Feb 19 with 2869 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:08 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

Napoleon ordered his generals to shoot soldiers who were said to be suffering from "nostalgia". We should start doing the same thing.

...on a forum called TWTD theres gonna be a lot of casualties!!

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:23 - Feb 19 with 2799 viewsPJH

on 12:02 - Feb 19 by _

Yes, I sometimes even imagine that we were Champions Of England when I was 11.
Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:25 - Feb 19 with 2788 viewsGunnsAirkick

My mate (not a Town fan) was shocked by the reaction at full time. I know we are going down, I know were are still not getting results, but that unity is something else.

I really bloody love that chant. I'm a sensitive sod and felt rather emotional walking out of the ground.
on 12:26 - Feb 19 with 2767 views_

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:23 - Feb 19 by PJH

Yes, I sometimes even imagine that we were Champions Of England when I was 11.

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:30 - Feb 19 with 2738 viewsSomethingBlue

Yes exactly that TBH

It might be good with Lambert but you are wrong about those first few months under Burley. The atmosphere was fcuking grim and things only picked up once we started scoring goals freely the following autumn.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:31 - Feb 19 with 2729 viewsPJH

on 12:26 - Feb 19 by _

Despite all the games that I have seen I do not think that I have seen any as dramatic as that Bolton game.
I think we must have gone through every emotion that it is possible to go through at a football match at least three times each.
I know that I was still emotionally drained 24 hours later.
Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:45 - Feb 19 with 2622 viewsLeagueOne

How?

Burley managed only two finishes outside of the top 10 of any league, and those were both in the top tier. Hardly a fighting scenario, it was year on year improvement up until the end, where we sold players the money was re-invested in the team in a substantial way. Burley managed to reach the quarter and semi-finals of cup competitions and we routinely beat bigger and better teams, everyone from Manchester United, Liverpool, Blackburn after having just won the league, and even Inter Milan.

This was a draw to Stoke at home, Stoke having struggled for months. We're bottom having won three games all season.

I am struggling to see how that reminds you of an extremely successful period of the club. If we were in this position in the 90's we'd be calling for the managers/chairman's head, as we did back then, which is why we got Burley and Sheepshanks in the first place. We weren't cheering on 3-0 losses to Norwich and 1-1 home draws in 1995 that's for sure. People at the time were disgusted with what had happened in 3 years since being promoted and wanted change.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:47 - Feb 19 with 2602 viewsFrimleyBlue

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:45 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

How?

Burley managed only two finishes outside of the top 10 of any league, and those were both in the top tier. Hardly a fighting scenario, it was year on year improvement up until the end, where we sold players the money was re-invested in the team in a substantial way. Burley managed to reach the quarter and semi-finals of cup competitions and we routinely beat bigger and better teams, everyone from Manchester United, Liverpool, Blackburn after having just won the league, and even Inter Milan.

This was a draw to Stoke at home, Stoke having struggled for months. We're bottom having won three games all season.

I am struggling to see how that reminds you of an extremely successful period of the club. If we were in this position in the 90's we'd be calling for the managers/chairman's head, as we did back then, which is why we got Burley and Sheepshanks in the first place. We weren't cheering on 3-0 losses to Norwich and 1-1 home draws in 1995 that's for sure. People at the time were disgusted with what had happened in 3 years since being promoted and wanted change.

Read the thread

Waka waka eh eh

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:53 - Feb 19 with 2564 viewsLord_Lucan

Well I liked the post.

Well done PL, ITFC and fans.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:59 - Feb 19 with 2524 viewsKeaneish

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:31 - Feb 19 by PJH

Despite all the games that I have seen I do not think that I have seen any as dramatic as that Bolton game.
I think we must have gone through every emotion that it is possible to go through at a football match at least three times each.
I know that I was still emotionally drained 24 hours later.

That game and that night will never be replicated or beaten at PR. It had the same electricity as the Liverpool vs Arsenal title decider in the 88/89 season.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Reminds me of the Burley years on 13:13 - Feb 19 with 2428 viewsdavblue

Reminds me of the Burley years on 12:59 - Feb 19 by Keaneish

That game and that night will never be replicated or beaten at PR. It had the same electricity as the Liverpool vs Arsenal title decider in the 88/89 season.

The build up over the previous 4 years along with it being Bolton certainly helped the atmosphere that night. Best i can recall.

The year before was a pretty special game also, i think that get's forgotten because we lost obviously but they were really good games at PR.
Reminds me of the Burley years on 13:23 - Feb 19 with 2377 viewsHerbivore

Reminds me of the Burley years on 13:13 - Feb 19 by davblue

The build up over the previous 4 years along with it being Bolton certainly helped the atmosphere that night. Best i can recall.

The year before was a pretty special game also, i think that get's forgotten because we lost obviously but they were really good games at PR.

There was a real sense of injustice the year before, we went out on away goals having finished 16 points better off than them which just didn't feel right. Plus they were dirty cheating arseholes who we played off the park for the most part.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024