Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Hancock 19:41 - Mar 14 with 4056 viewsHerbivore

Really puts the cock in Hancock. The below is deeply objectionable on two fronts. Firstly, a second referendum hasn't been rejected at all, it's not been backed as an amendment to the motion regarding a delay to Article 50. That's as far as the vote tonight goes. Secondly, he seems to be pretending that yesterday in parliament just didn't happen. How is it a choice between May's deal and no deal when both of those options actually HAVE been emphatically rejected?

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the idea of another referendum was "emphatically rejected".

He said MPs had increasingly made clear what they did not want and added that they now had to chose between a no-deal Brexit and the prime minister's deal."

Every time a politician opens their mouth at the moment they are, at best, disingenuous. In this case and many others (especially on the government side) they are outright dishonest. What a shower we have sitting in the Commons right now. I wouldn't trust any of them to have the basic level of competence needed to look after my cat for a weekend.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Matt Hancock on 19:43 - Mar 14 with 3167 viewsSpruceMoose

Surely being a festering arsehole is a prerequisite for becoming a Tory MP? Nobody with a shred of decency would consider it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Matt Hancock on 19:55 - Mar 14 with 3140 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 19:43 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

Surely being a festering arsehole is a prerequisite for becoming a Tory MP? Nobody with a shred of decency would consider it.

I find it genuinely maddening that this is just accepted though. Where's the challenge from the press? He's said it's a straight choice between May's deal and no deal and the interview hasn't pulled him up on the fact that May's deal has been comprehensively rejected twice and no deal has likewise been voted down by a big margin. This all happened within the last 48 hours. Why is he not being held to account? It's a fooking outrage.

Matt Hancock on 20:00 - Mar 14 with 3128 viewsHerbivore

jas099 is a fan of MPs being dishonest it seems.

Matt Hancock on 20:01 - Mar 14 with 3127 viewsjas0999

Matt Hancock on 19:55 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

I find it genuinely maddening that this is just accepted though. Where's the challenge from the press? He's said it's a straight choice between May's deal and no deal and the interview hasn't pulled him up on the fact that May's deal has been comprehensively rejected twice and no deal has likewise been voted down by a big margin. This all happened within the last 48 hours. Why is he not being held to account? It's a fooking outrage.

May will bring her deal back to the house next week and likely win. The main Brexit contingent have worked out that indeed May is correct to an extent: her deal or potentially no Brexit. I can see many brexiteers now voting to avoid no Brexit at all. It’s completely wrong and I don’t agree with it but think it will play out that way. I’m not a fan of Hancock - but he is just whipping up support for the deal. It’s his job as a ally to May.
Matt Hancock on 20:02 - Mar 14 with 3125 viewsjas0999

Matt Hancock on 20:00 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

jas099 is a fan of MPs being dishonest it seems.

Not at all. See my response.
Matt Hancock on 20:05 - Mar 14 with 3114 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 20:02 - Mar 14 by jas0999

Not at all. See my response.

You've down arrowed two posts calling out dishonesty from an MP. Your response doesn't address that.

Matt Hancock on 20:05 - Mar 14 with 3112 viewsNo9

He was interviewed tonight, I realy wonder how people vote for anyone that daft
Matt Hancock on 20:07 - Mar 14 with 3107 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 20:05 - Mar 14 by No9

He was interviewed tonight, I realy wonder how people vote for anyone that daft

Yeah, he's not sharp is he?

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Hancock on 20:11 - Mar 14 with 3093 viewsjas0999

Matt Hancock on 20:05 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

You've down arrowed two posts calling out dishonesty from an MP. Your response doesn't address that.

... I’m not a Tory or Labour supporter. I vote for who I feel best represents at the time. I’m becoming though increasingly frustrated at the constant bashing of what would seem just Tory MPs on here. It’s not representative. One could also point the finger at many Labour MPs. Yet it’s Hancock who you are selecting tonight.

Politics is politics. I don’t like him, but he is doing his job. Supporting his leader to presumably further his career. He is not the only dishonest MP. Plenty of Tory AND Labour.
Matt Hancock on 20:11 - Mar 14 with 3092 viewsBluefish

Future PM and a great guy

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Matt Hancock on 20:12 - Mar 14 with 3085 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 20:11 - Mar 14 by jas0999

... I’m not a Tory or Labour supporter. I vote for who I feel best represents at the time. I’m becoming though increasingly frustrated at the constant bashing of what would seem just Tory MPs on here. It’s not representative. One could also point the finger at many Labour MPs. Yet it’s Hancock who you are selecting tonight.

Politics is politics. I don’t like him, but he is doing his job. Supporting his leader to presumably further his career. He is not the only dishonest MP. Plenty of Tory AND Labour.

Well done for condoning dishonesty.

Matt Hancock on 20:12 - Mar 14 with 3084 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 20:11 - Mar 14 by Bluefish

Future PM and a great guy

You're not even trying anymore.

Matt Hancock on 20:16 - Mar 14 with 3079 viewsjas0999

Matt Hancock on 20:12 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

Well done for condoning dishonesty.

Are you deliberately out to wind people up?

Why not respect other folks opinion? I have not condoned dishonesty. Why won’t you condemn the dishonesty in the Labour Party? Oh ... you are very very clearly proving my point. MPs on BOTH sides are dishonest but sadly Labour folk won’t accept that. Well done for condoning Labour MPs dishonesty.
Matt Hancock on 20:19 - Mar 14 with 3069 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 20:16 - Mar 14 by jas0999

Are you deliberately out to wind people up?

Why not respect other folks opinion? I have not condoned dishonesty. Why won’t you condemn the dishonesty in the Labour Party? Oh ... you are very very clearly proving my point. MPs on BOTH sides are dishonest but sadly Labour folk won’t accept that. Well done for condoning Labour MPs dishonesty.

I haven't condoned dishonesty. You have. Shameful that you are against people calling for honesty from cabinet ministers. Shameful. And you are the one bringing party politics into this.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2019 20:22]

Matt Hancock on 20:21 - Mar 14 with 3060 viewsNo9

Matt Hancock on 20:11 - Mar 14 by jas0999

He's not just an MP, he's the Secretary of State for health
a bit more than just an MP
Matt Hancock on 20:30 - Mar 14 with 3037 viewscaught-in-limbo

Matt Hancock on 19:55 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

This is where you should have directed your frustration from the start: the press.

Unfortunately, your thread has turned into a party political one.

We have a supine media establishment. A few select journalists aside, they are largely responsible for the shambolic politics we have at the moment.

The Press have an essential role in a democracy - they are largely not fit for purpose.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2019 20:30]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Matt Hancock on 20:32 - Mar 14 with 3028 viewsNo9

Matt Hancock on 20:30 - Mar 14 by caught-in-limbo

This is where you should have directed your frustration from the start: the press.

We have a supine media establishment. A few select journalists aside, they are largely responsible for the shambolic politics we have at the moment.

The Press have an essential role in a democracy - they are largely not fit for purpose.

Much of the media is politically driven by tax exiles

Their emoloyees are in the media posing as honest brokers
Matt Hancock on 20:35 - Mar 14 with 3017 viewsHerbivore

I've often been critical of the press.

Matt Hancock on 20:47 - Mar 14 with 2984 viewscaught-in-limbo

Matt Hancock on 20:35 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

I've often been critical of the press.

Good, me too.

That's not what I'm saying though, is it.

#toxic

Matt Hancock on 20:53 - Mar 14 with 2965 viewsHerbivore

Matt Hancock on 20:47 - Mar 14 by caught-in-limbo

Good, me too.

That's not what I'm saying though, is it.

I think there's a middle ground where it's also not too much to ask for politicians to display some basic personal integrity. I agree the media should do more to hold them to account. They don't even challenge blatant lies.

Matt Hancock on 21:01 - Mar 14 with 2947 viewscaught-in-limbo

Matt Hancock on 20:53 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

I think there's a middle ground where it's also not too much to ask for politicians to display some basic personal integrity. I agree the media should do more to hold them to account. They don't even challenge blatant lies.

I get your sentiment but I gave up expecting any personal integrity from politicians, estate agents, "government" scientists and garage mechanics some while ago. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from our journos and not enough from our politicians.

#toxic

Matt Hancock on 21:05 - Mar 14 with 2936 viewsfooters

CIL, serious question for once. If we are to hold the Fourth Estate to account, how would that be possible other than through either political or judiciary means? If the three are intertwined and self-supporting, how would or could any real scrutiny and change happen?

Was Leveson a good first step? And would Leveson 2, as it was originally planned, actually change anything?

Interested to hear thoughts from all interested correspondents.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Matt Hancock on 21:19 - Mar 14 with 2908 viewsClapham_Junction

Matt Hancock on 21:05 - Mar 14 by footers

CIL, serious question for once. If we are to hold the Fourth Estate to account, how would that be possible other than through either political or judiciary means? If the three are intertwined and self-supporting, how would or could any real scrutiny and change happen?

Was Leveson a good first step? And would Leveson 2, as it was originally planned, actually change anything?

it's a question I'd really like someone to put to Ian Hislop.

Private Eye crucifies the national press for their dishonesty every fortnight, but also seems dead set against any form of regulation.

Print/online media is probably one of the few major industries where there is no regulation. However, broadcast media is regulated (at least in terms of requiring impartiality and basic accuracy) and I don't recall ever seeing many complaints about it.
Matt Hancock on 21:34 - Mar 14 with 2873 viewscaught-in-limbo

Matt Hancock on 21:05 - Mar 14 by footers

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Leveson to comment. At the time it served as a big distraction from something else, though I can't remember what.

I think the three are so intertwined and therefore it's impossible to hold the Press to account in obvious ways.

Everything functions in a fight for your attention these days, whether that's news channels, online gaming or sites such as this.

The way to hit back is to stop giving them your attention.

It's easy for me to avoid the BBC and the UK press in general because of where I live, but I avoid all TV news and printed media because I've got rid of my tele and I don't buy news.

If you think they re not doing their job, stop feeding them with your attention.

#toxic

Matt Hancock on 21:40 - Mar 14 with 2847 viewsfooters

Matt Hancock on 21:19 - Mar 14 by Clapham_Junction

it's a question I'd really like someone to put to Ian Hislop.

Private Eye crucifies the national press for their dishonesty every fortnight, but also seems dead set against any form of regulation.

Print/online media is probably one of the few major industries where there is no regulation. However, broadcast media is regulated (at least in terms of requiring impartiality and basic accuracy) and I don't recall ever seeing many complaints about it.

Think his answer to the committee on regulation was that the regulator would comprise of people you were criticising, or had criticised, thus skewing any possible outcome of that hearing.

In fact, in the recent edition it emerged that the Eye had been contacted by a non-governmental body apparently 'demanding' at first information on certain things; when it was put back to them that the Eye had no legal requirement to do so, they demured.

Whichever body that is had been sending every publication the same- sure some may have relented, but perhaps not with legal/compliance depts. being as they are.

The only real answer to media regulation is a non-governmental body, which would be inherently biased. And other suggestions to make publishers accountable for opponents' legal fees seems absurd given the number of claims (right or wrong) from all manner of people (mostly quite rich and powerful, some poor and less so).

Difficult one to broach, this.

Edit: Full Hislop Leveson evidence doesn't seem to be on YT for some reason... perhaps his jokes will suffice. But as with all jokes he often hits the point.

[Post edited 14 Mar 2019 21:43]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024