Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose 08:55 - Mar 15 with 899 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/henry-viii-african-sailor

It's almost as if there is no such think as a British norm, something that I am sure doesn't sit well with the views of some.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 09:03 - Mar 15 with 887 viewsGuthrum

It shouldn't really be surprising.

Even in the medieval world, it was common for governments to recruit technical experts from very far afield. The top practitioners of naval warfare (particularly the use of galleys) at the time of Henry VIII were Mediterranean. So finding people of North African extraction is entirely logical.

Plus sailors have always been quite an international bunch, by the very nature of their trade.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 11:58 - Mar 15 with 796 viewsNo9

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 09:03 - Mar 15 by Guthrum

It shouldn't really be surprising.

Even in the medieval world, it was common for governments to recruit technical experts from very far afield. The top practitioners of naval warfare (particularly the use of galleys) at the time of Henry VIII were Mediterranean. So finding people of North African extraction is entirely logical.

Plus sailors have always been quite an international bunch, by the very nature of their trade.

Agreed, I would have been surprised if there was not any African crew
This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 13:22 - Mar 15 with 759 viewsStokieBlue

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 11:58 - Mar 15 by No9

Agreed, I would have been surprised if there was not any African crew

It was British crew, his parents were of African decent.

SB

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 14:12 - Mar 15 with 738 viewsNo9

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 13:22 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

It was British crew, his parents were of African decent.

SB

I would still be surprised if there were no African on British naval ships in those days
This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 14:30 - Mar 15 with 729 viewsStokieBlue

This in an interesting analysis of Henry VIII crew of the Mary Rose on 14:12 - Mar 15 by No9

I would still be surprised if there were no African on British naval ships in those days

I would agree but it's nothing to do with what I've posted.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024