Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. 21:25 - Mar 25 with 6170 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Good on ya lad.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:30 - Mar 25 with 6147 viewsvapour_trail

Excellent work. As classy as the finish itself.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:40 - Mar 25 with 6091 viewsStokieBlue

Response to racist chanting apparently.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:42 - Mar 25 with 6086 viewsPecker

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:40 - Mar 25 by StokieBlue

SB

Sadly this seems to be the case.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:47 - Mar 25 with 6066 viewsm14_blue

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:30 - Mar 25 by vapour_trail

Excellent work. As classy as the finish itself.

Best possible response to the backward pr1cks.

Must really hurt them to see their side systematically ripped apart by talented young black men.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:48 - Mar 25 with 6059 viewsFtnfwest

Good lad. Now that is racism
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:55 - Mar 25 with 6011 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

SB

That's why I said it.

Fair play to him.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 22:20 - Mar 25 with 5866 viewspoppiesman

SB

Yet the ITV commentator who is inside the ground said he didn't hear any racist chanting.
So it may have been all the England players getting booed not just the black players, and Sterling was the only goalscorer to react.
I certainly hope that was the case and there wasn't any racism at the game.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 22:25 - Mar 25 with 5830 viewsclive_baker

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 22:20 - Mar 25 by poppiesman

Yet the ITV commentator who is inside the ground said he didn't hear any racist chanting.
So it may have been all the England players getting booed not just the black players, and Sterling was the only goalscorer to react.

England camp has confirmed it was. Danny Rose was getting racially abused.

I wish we would take a stronger stand and bring the players off the pitch in instances like that. Bo11ocks to any fine we get or whatever, we should head to the dressing room, pack up our stuff and leave mid match.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 23:09 - Mar 25 with 5682 viewsjeera

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 22:25 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

I wish we would take a stronger stand and bring the players off the pitch in instances like that. Bo11ocks to any fine we get or whatever, we should head to the dressing room, pack up our stuff and leave mid match.

Mind you, when you're a few goals up and cruising, the players may be happier sticking it to the abusers' side on the pitch.

Completely understand your sentiment though and would like to think fans would be supportive of any action the players decided on if they ever felt that strongly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 02:03 - Mar 26 with 5542 viewsSpruceMoose

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:47 - Mar 25 by m14_blue

Must really hurt them to see their side systematically ripped apart by talented young black men.

This.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 05:16 - Mar 26 with 5480 viewsRyorry

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 21:47 - Mar 25 by m14_blue

I was watching ITV with the sound down whilst listening to R5l comm. R5l commentators were absolutely clear that there was racist chanting, and a lot of it, from very early on in the game.

What baffled me were the radio commentary team all (there were 2 or 3 of them) saying later that Sterling shouldn't have reacted as he did, and that Southgate would be annoyed with him for doing so. Eh? Surely Sterling's response was just the norm, standard practice for any player in any team who scores after getting stick from opposition fans? It was so innocuous, esp in the circumstances, that I hadn't even really noticed it, till they spent quite a bit of time discussing it.

Final score particularly pleasing in the circumstances!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 06:38 - Mar 26 with 5391 viewspoppiesman

Yes sadly it appears that to be the case.
Just can't understand why people are racist, and completely agree that nowhere near enough is done to punish fans that are racist.
Fines for countries isn't enough either.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 06:41 - Mar 26 with 5379 viewsfooters

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 06:38 - Mar 26 by poppiesman

Just can't understand why people are racist, and completely agree that nowhere near enough is done to punish fans that are racist.

No more games in Montenegro for a while. Only way for it to stop is for fans to self-police. No internationals for them and they can get up to whatever there is to do in Montenegro instead. Like twiddling their thumbs.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 06:44 - Mar 26 with 5370 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 06:38 - Mar 26 by poppiesman

Seems to be regular in certain areas of the world and agree that fines are nowhere near severe enough to put a stop to it

Should be playing games behind closed doors from a second offence onwards, which would mean the various FA’s to actually have to do something about it

Agree with the posts above that I’d love to see a team walk off the pitch too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 07:03 - Mar 26 with 5307 viewschristiand

Haven't Montenegro had problems with this behaviour before for international games? Not 100% sure.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 07:57 - Mar 26 with 5219 viewsWD19

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 05:16 - Mar 26 by Ryorry

I was watching ITV with the sound down whilst listening to R5l comm. R5l commentators were absolutely clear that there was racist chanting, and a lot of it, from very early on in the game.

What baffled me were the radio commentary team all (there were 2 or 3 of them) saying later that Sterling shouldn't have reacted as he did, and that Southgate would be annoyed with him for doing so. Eh? Surely Sterling's response was just the norm, standard practice for any player in any team who scores after getting stick from opposition fans? It was so innocuous, esp in the circumstances, that I hadn't even really noticed it, till they spent quite a bit of time discussing it.

THe radio bods were more going with the point Southgate would be annoyed with Henderson and Rose for getting involved and getting themselves booked towards the end. Wasn’t too much stick for Sterling’s behaviour from what I heard. Support mostly.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 08:00 - Mar 26 with 5213 viewsBlueBadger

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 22:20 - Mar 25 by poppiesman

Frankly, if an ITV commentator told me water was wet I'd run my hand under the tap just to check.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 09:25 - Mar 26 with 5098 viewsBerlinBlue

I was at the Hertha Berlin v Aberdeen UEFA Cup game in the early 00s and it sticks in the memory because it was the first - and thankfully so far only - time that I've witnessed racism at football in person. At one point a Hertha fan behind me started making loud monkey noises directed at one of Aberdeen's black players. Utterly shocking.

Players should not have to put up with being abused like this. If they were to protest by walking off the pitch, I would support them and so should the football authorities.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 09:37 - Mar 26 with 5072 viewsRobTheMonk

You could really hear it on the TV towards the end when Rose smashed their player.
Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 09:52 - Mar 26 with 5054 viewsLord_Lucan

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 07:03 - Mar 26 by christiand

Haven't Montenegro had problems with this behaviour before for international games? Not 100% sure.

It is a regular thing throughout half the world, I was in Spain when Ashley Cole was being crucified by the whole crowd (except England fans).

Russia and large parts of Europe are plagued by it, yet apparently it's England that is the backward racist nation.

Some people should travel more.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 10:10 - Mar 26 with 5018 viewsGarv

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 05:16 - Mar 26 by Ryorry

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it because at the end of the day he was the one on the end of racist abuse, but do you not think it encourages more of it? Cupping your ears = "I can't hear you, speak up". For me it trivialises the subject and makes it more of a 'football banter' thing, which obviously it isn't.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 10:39 - Mar 26 with 4979 viewsRyorry

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 07:57 - Mar 26 by WD19

THe radio bods were more going with the point Southgate would be annoyed with Henderson and Rose for getting involved and getting themselves booked towards the end. Wasn’t too much stick for Sterling’s behaviour from what I heard. Support mostly.

I did hear them criticising the other two for also getting involved, but definitely heard at least one of them criticising Sterling at least twice for reacting at all, and the other two agreeing with him. I think the team were John Murray (who's normally a good commentator imo), Ian Dennis + Peter Beardsley as pundit.

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 10:43 - Mar 26 with 4973 viewsRyorry

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 10:10 - Mar 26 by Garv

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it because at the end of the day he was the one on the end of racist abuse, but do you not think it encourages more of it? Cupping your ears = "I can't hear you, speak up". For me it trivialises the subject and makes it more of a 'football banter' thing, which obviously it isn't.

Can see your pov but disagree. I think there has to be a reaction in the circumstances actually, and that irony was probably what he (obviously rightly) felt he could get away with without being penalised.

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 12:34 - Mar 26 with 4845 viewsGarv

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 10:43 - Mar 26 by Ryorry

Can see your pov but disagree. I think there has to be a reaction in the circumstances actually, and that irony was probably what he (obviously rightly) felt he could get away with without being penalised.

Yeah, no right or wrong answer really. I wonder if opposition players could do more to calm their fans down and show some kind of stand against it in that situation, but again not easy.

I don't think it's something you're going to stop, though. People talk as if points deductions will deter racists from being racist. I don't think it will. Like the fans on the pitch thing, Grealish etc, idiots are always going to idiot.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 19:40 - Mar 26 with 4719 viewsJohnny_Boy

Sterling taunting the Montenegro fans. on 07:03 - Mar 26 by christiand

They haven't - which surprises me.

But the FA released a statement (after the events - no surprise) to say they were worried of potential flash points before & after the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024