Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Marathon 2019 22:02 - Apr 3 with 11534 viewsmisty1984

My names Misty and less than a year ago I took up running again and being a bit mad (so my friends and family tell me) got a place in this years London Marathon, This will be my 1st ever marathon and strangely can’t wait to do it, done a training run of 20 miles and got the same distance planned for this weekend.

I’m doing the marathon to raise money for a local charity I’m involved with, Ipswich Deaf Society, we are a small charity who provide support for the local Deaf community and their families. As well as help provide a place for lessons to take place in British Sign Language.

We are currently in the process of updating the building we have to make it suitable for our future plans for the charity, but as we rely on donations I’m trying to raise as much as possible to help with this.

To add a bit more pressure on myself or maybe being more of a glutton for punishment I set up a football shirt challenge that people can donate to my page specifying ITFC or NCFC with their donation and at the deadline on April 18th the set of fans who have raised the most, I will wear that shirt for the London Marathon.

Fortunately I’m in the position where ITFC are winning but hoping that TWTD will hopefully help make that victory a bit more comfortable.

If you can help with a donation the link for my fundraising page:

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MistySmith

Also the club when I was Community Champion in February donated a signed shirt which I will be listing for sale in the next few weeks so will put the link up when I get that going.
London Marathon 2019 on 22:08 - Apr 3 with 10200 viewsLord_Lucan

Well done and best of British.

Gav - we haven’t had a charity sticky for a while!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

London Marathon 2019 on 08:24 - Apr 4 with 10087 viewsSteve_M

Done. Been meaning to do it since you starting pushing it on Twitter. Good luck.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

London Marathon 2019 on 09:20 - Apr 4 with 10070 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hi Blueas

Sorry, poor attempt at an in joke.

Great cause - I wasn't aware of the scale of hearing loss, so those stats on your giving page are quite an eye opener: "11 million people with hearing loss, which is around one in six of us as well and there are 50,000 children with hearing loss in the UK"

Second the call for this to be a sticky as it's for the local community and there's been club interest.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

London Marathon 2019 on 09:42 - Apr 4 with 10046 viewsmisty1984

London Marathon 2019 on 09:20 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

Hi Blueas

Sorry, poor attempt at an in joke.

Great cause - I wasn't aware of the scale of hearing loss, so those stats on your giving page are quite an eye opener: "11 million people with hearing loss, which is around one in six of us as well and there are 50,000 children with hearing loss in the UK"

Second the call for this to be a sticky as it's for the local community and there's been club interest.

I’ve grown up in the Deaf Community so knew about it locally however even I never realised that extent either.
A lot of places now don’t have organisations like this so the potential for isolation or lack of support is greater, that’s why we want to have somewhere people can come for support and just a chat sometimes, particularly those who have been recently diagnosed with hearing loss, we also work closely with the Ipswich Deaf Children Society too who provide events for Deaf children, their siblings and also help for parents.
London Marathon 2019 on 12:36 - Apr 4 with 9952 viewsmisty1984

Thank you everyone who has sponsored me so far, really am grateful to you all.
London Marathon 2019 on 14:39 - Apr 5 with 9601 viewsRyorry

London Marathon 2019 on 12:36 - Apr 4 by misty1984

Thank you everyone who has sponsored me so far, really am grateful to you all.

Very best of British - really admire anyone who runs a marathon for charity.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

London Marathon 2019 on 16:22 - Apr 5 with 9575 viewsRomeo4

Well done Misty. I remember seeing you at a recent home match (Derby?)

Good luck with the run.
London Marathon 2019 on 18:40 - Apr 6 with 9169 viewsmisty1984

London Marathon 2019 on 16:22 - Apr 5 by Romeo4

Well done Misty. I remember seeing you at a recent home match (Derby?)

Good luck with the run.

Yes, I was the community champion for the Derby game, loved doing that, never got to be a mascot as a kid so that made up for it.
Login to get fewer ads

London Marathon 2019 on 18:52 - Apr 6 with 9162 viewsmisty1984

Thanks to everyone who has sponsored me this week since I put the post up, as a number have mentioned it’s a great cause and something that affects so many people and not everyone realises how hard things can become, so I really appreciate those who have given something so we can work on the help we can offer.

Today I did my final long run before I start my taper (gradual reduction in running) till London, 20.9 miles in the bag in 4 hours 9 mins, felt good at the end of it so hopefully with the crowds at the end it will get me to the end.
London Marathon 2019 on 18:47 - Apr 8 with 8871 viewsmisty1984

So as I’ve mentioned the main reason for the fundraising is to help with the improvement of the premises that we have.
This weekend we had the opening of the 1st part of the project, a community coffee bar. The Mayor for Ipswich came and officially opened the coffee bar.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Wharfe-Coffee-Bar-2080853588677780/

Here is a link to the Facebook page for the coffee bar and will have details there for dates and times of openings coming up if anyone wants to pop in and say hello and see a bit more of what we are trying to do then please do so.
London Marathon 2019 on 10:01 - Apr 10 with 8640 viewsgainsboroughblue

Great stuff.

Some close friends of mine have a daughter with Usher's syndrome so this charity is very close to my heart. Will definitely be donating and the best of luck. :)

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

London Marathon 2019 on 14:44 - Apr 10 with 8592 viewsBrianTablet

Well done on getting this far.
Have a good run.

Top marathon tip: Don't, like most people, have your carbo loading meal the evening before the race. Have it lunch time or early afternoon the day before the race. Then snack your way to the start. That way you won't feel bloated and heavy at the start line. It also helps with err.... toilet issues!

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

London Marathon 2019 on 15:10 - Apr 10 with 8582 viewsmisty1984

London Marathon 2019 on 10:01 - Apr 10 by gainsboroughblue

Great stuff.

Some close friends of mine have a daughter with Usher's syndrome so this charity is very close to my heart. Will definitely be donating and the best of luck. :)

My mum as well as been Deaf (luckily she has some hearing due to hearing aids) but is registered blind so know a bit about Usher as she has some friends with it.

If I do another marathon (New York is one I would like to do) then a charity to do with blindness would be next on my list as it’s awful watching someone losing their sight especially with the hearing problems added in.
London Marathon 2019 on 20:05 - Apr 17 with 7594 viewsSpruceMoose

London Marathon 2019 on 15:10 - Apr 10 by misty1984

My mum as well as been Deaf (luckily she has some hearing due to hearing aids) but is registered blind so know a bit about Usher as she has some friends with it.

If I do another marathon (New York is one I would like to do) then a charity to do with blindness would be next on my list as it’s awful watching someone losing their sight especially with the hearing problems added in.

New York marathon route runs along the bottom of our street. If you ever end up doing it let us know and I'll sort you out a sign/banner or something!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

London Marathon 2019 on 10:20 - Apr 21 with 7146 viewsjeera

London Marathon 2019 on 20:05 - Apr 17 by SpruceMoose

New York marathon route runs along the bottom of our street. If you ever end up doing it let us know and I'll sort you out a sign/banner or something!

You can't expect them to carry a banner whilst running. That's ridiculous.

A can of Red Bull or something might be more useful.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

London Marathon 2019 on 11:36 - Apr 21 with 7133 viewsmisty1984

Just wanted to say with a week to go I have managed to exceed my target for Ipswich Deaf Society so thank you to everyone who has donated to the charity to help with the projects we have.

It doesn’t stop there though and if anyone has any spare pennies and hasn’t donated then page is still open 😀

Thank you all again
London Marathon 2019 on 14:15 - Apr 22 with 7054 viewsbluebare

Me too

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157289228623914&id=569153913
London Marathon 2019 on 20:41 - Apr 24 with 6706 viewsmisty1984

London Marathon 2019 on 14:15 - Apr 22 by bluebare

Me too

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157289228623914&id=569153913

Good Luck Sunday
London Marathon 2019 on 16:11 - Apr 25 with 6574 viewsGlebeTractor

London Marathon 2019 on 14:44 - Apr 10 by BrianTablet

Well done on getting this far.
Have a good run.

Top marathon tip: Don't, like most people, have your carbo loading meal the evening before the race. Have it lunch time or early afternoon the day before the race. Then snack your way to the start. That way you won't feel bloated and heavy at the start line. It also helps with err.... toilet issues!

This.

I went to a lovely italian restraunt just off oxford st the night before.

mistake. Didn't s**t myself though unlike one person infront of me, in the tunnel a few miles before the end.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

London Marathon 2019 on 06:14 - Apr 28 with 6214 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

London Marathon 2019 on 16:11 - Apr 25 by GlebeTractor

This.

I went to a lovely italian restraunt just off oxford st the night before.

mistake. Didn't s**t myself though unlike one person infront of me, in the tunnel a few miles before the end.

So the lasagne I’m having for breakfast is a bad idea then? 🤣

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

London Marathon 2019 on 09:09 - Apr 28 with 6187 viewsLord_Lucan

Go for it Misty!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

London Marathon 2019 on 17:37 - Apr 28 with 6082 viewsTractorWood

How did you get on? I jogged round too. Really struggled. Finished in 4:47 which is well off my pb. Will go again but chuffed to get it off the bucket list.

Great event though. Really well organised and the support along the route was excellent, especially near Tower Hill and Embankment.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

London Marathon 2019 on 18:30 - Apr 28 with 6070 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

London Marathon 2019 on 17:37 - Apr 28 by TractorWood

How did you get on? I jogged round too. Really struggled. Finished in 4:47 which is well off my pb. Will go again but chuffed to get it off the bucket list.

Great event though. Really well organised and the support along the route was excellent, especially near Tower Hill and Embankment.

Congrats

Did it myself for the first time this year too and fully agree re support - to be honest the whole way round was exceptional save for a small lull around mile 17 (I think!). 4:11 for me - up to mile 20 I was with the sub-4 pacer and dreaming of nailing it but faded badly at the end

Never again!

Ps. Don’t suppose either you or the OP were the chap I saw in ITFC shorts at the Blue Start area?

EDIT: just realised the OP is female so clearly not them I saw!
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 18:43]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

London Marathon 2019 on 18:47 - Apr 28 with 6052 viewsTractorWood

London Marathon 2019 on 18:30 - Apr 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Congrats

Did it myself for the first time this year too and fully agree re support - to be honest the whole way round was exceptional save for a small lull around mile 17 (I think!). 4:11 for me - up to mile 20 I was with the sub-4 pacer and dreaming of nailing it but faded badly at the end

Never again!

Ps. Don’t suppose either you or the OP were the chap I saw in ITFC shorts at the Blue Start area?

EDIT: just realised the OP is female so clearly not them I saw!
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 18:43]

Great work. Congrats.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

London Marathon 2019 on 20:30 - Apr 28 with 6004 viewsSteve_M

London Marathon 2019 on 18:47 - Apr 28 by TractorWood

Great work. Congrats.

Well done to you and Healey.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024