Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A new low from the DWP 00:49 - May 15 with 3862 viewsOldsmoker

An article in the Guardian tonight really rattled my cage.
I posted a comment but they'd closed the article for comments so I'm putting it here. I've calmed down in the last 2 hours so it's more of an observation than a rant.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/14/universal-credit-departmen

The DWP have a problem with UC. The money they give people is simply not enough to live on. That is the cold hard fact the DWP will not admit to.

This article shows that they had a choice.
Either
(1) Fix the problems with UC
or (2) Make the public believe that there are no problems.

The DWP chose option 2.
This is propaganda in its purest form. This has echos of 1930's Germany.

Demonize and persecute the handicapped, minorities and religious groups - tick.
Undermine democracy so that you continue to hold power.
The Tories are still working on that one.

Blame foreigners for your problems - immigrants/EU - tick.
Farage.

Claim that white nationals are the only true citizens - tick.
Yaxley-Lennon.

And some Tories are saying that a coalition with the Brexit party might be necessary after the next GE.

So, an observation not a rant. (The rant was good though).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A new low from the DWP on 06:38 - May 15 with 3761 viewsEdwardStone

I'm with you all the way on this, I have just read the article....we seem to be sleepwalking into very troubled times.

It is disgusting that public money is being used to pay for propaganda to attempt to mask the failings of Universal Credit

Branding the very obvious problems with UC as "fake news" is right out of the Trump playbook

Sadly, I fear that we shall be seeing a great deal more of this; reality presented as lies, falsehoods branded as truth and very angry polarised shouting instead of calm debate

Stormy times ahead
A new low from the DWP on 06:39 - May 15 with 3752 viewsBackToRussia

A new low from the DWP on 06:38 - May 15 by EdwardStone

I'm with you all the way on this, I have just read the article....we seem to be sleepwalking into very troubled times.

It is disgusting that public money is being used to pay for propaganda to attempt to mask the failings of Universal Credit

Branding the very obvious problems with UC as "fake news" is right out of the Trump playbook

Sadly, I fear that we shall be seeing a great deal more of this; reality presented as lies, falsehoods branded as truth and very angry polarised shouting instead of calm debate

Stormy times ahead

Just you wait until the water shortages come. It'll make Brexit look like a tea party.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

A new low from the DWP on 06:48 - May 15 with 3728 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Doesn't do much to dispel the 'myth' about the BBC being an organ of the State either.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A new low from the DWP on 08:05 - May 15 with 3635 viewsfactual_blue

I have seen the gentleman named in the article at work. He's a bit of an idiot. The articles at various jobcentres around the country have started appearing. I think it's fair to say you're not going to see Hackney, Handsworth or Tottenham featuring.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A new low from the DWP on 08:05 - May 15 with 3632 viewsfactual_blue

A new low from the DWP on 06:39 - May 15 by BackToRussia

Just you wait until the water shortages come. It'll make Brexit look like a tea party.

A tea party with water shortages isn't really going to work, is it?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A new low from the DWP on 08:14 - May 15 with 3614 viewsBackToRussia

A new low from the DWP on 08:05 - May 15 by factual_blue

A tea party with water shortages isn't really going to work, is it?

Different parties. Climate disaster will be less tea party, more of an all week illegal rave on mescaline. Actually that makes it sound fun, oops.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

A new low from the DWP on 08:17 - May 15 with 3603 viewsronnyblue

Should not read the guardian! That would save you worrying about everything being spouted from their pages!
A new low from the DWP on 08:50 - May 15 with 3545 viewsnewcastlefan1984

A new low from the DWP on 08:17 - May 15 by ronnyblue

Should not read the guardian! That would save you worrying about everything being spouted from their pages!

I am on universal credit at the moment as I suffer with bipolar and had a relapse of severe depression due to being mistreated and not paid by an employer and having stress in relation to my ankle and now have diabetes.

The DWP are unsympathetic, uncaring, cold and act in such an inhumane way that they do not care about human struggle and have consigned people to a life on benefits of food banks and a choice between eating or heating their own home.

I have been on and off benefits as I have been unlucky with being made redundant, since I graduated with my degree and the DWP have been shocking.

They pick on the vulnerable and despite how much they doubt it, they do. Its unequivocally proven. My cousin has autism and has to go to one of their PIP assessments where ATOS wants to reduce the number of people on the benefit rather than keep people on it.

I told my workcoach recently about having an up coming procedure ( a sigmoidscopy) and how anxious and worried I am about it and she said no word of a lie that "they hope they get to the bottom of it" pertaining to the fact that the procedure is happening up the bottom. Whether it was unintended or intended I do not know, but you could say you could not face going out or felt hopeless and helpless and they would still expect you to go. I have cried at jobcentre appointments as my depression takes hold and my workcoach stares at me like as an unemployed person, I should be devoid of emotion.

The DWP under the Tories are absolute scum and say that we all out there to live a lifestyle of watching daytime TV when for me it is totally the opposite. I want to get better but I am having counselling and am sorting out my health.
Login to get fewer ads

A new low from the DWP on 08:51 - May 15 with 3544 viewsGuthrum

For several decades governments and the media have been fostering the narrative that the jobless are not unfortunate losers in an economic (and often geographical) lottery, but are instead "workshy scroungers", who are all claiming far more than they are entitled to and living lives of luxury "on our taxes". Thus the approach becomes one of forcing, not helping, people back into work. The former having the advantage that money can be cut, rather than extra needing to be spent*.

* They are all afeared of annoying the electorate by not cutting taxes at a time when they've allowed "growth" (in reality, mostly inflation) to run wild.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A new low from the DWP on 09:01 - May 15 with 3526 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is familiar smell that hangs around May and her government. There's Trump-esque levels of denial, a firmly believed alternative reality and blatant deception (lying) in everything they do. Everything.

And yet people still vote for them

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A new low from the DWP on 09:06 - May 15 with 3516 viewsSwansea_Blue

A new low from the DWP on 08:17 - May 15 by ronnyblue

Hey up grimboy, you've got competition.

A new low from the DWP on 09:15 - May 15 with 3499 viewsSwansea_Blue

A new low from the DWP on 08:50 - May 15 by newcastlefan1984

I am on universal credit at the moment as I suffer with bipolar and had a relapse of severe depression due to being mistreated and not paid by an employer and having stress in relation to my ankle and now have diabetes.

The DWP are unsympathetic, uncaring, cold and act in such an inhumane way that they do not care about human struggle and have consigned people to a life on benefits of food banks and a choice between eating or heating their own home.

I have been on and off benefits as I have been unlucky with being made redundant, since I graduated with my degree and the DWP have been shocking.

They pick on the vulnerable and despite how much they doubt it, they do. Its unequivocally proven. My cousin has autism and has to go to one of their PIP assessments where ATOS wants to reduce the number of people on the benefit rather than keep people on it.

I told my workcoach recently about having an up coming procedure ( a sigmoidscopy) and how anxious and worried I am about it and she said no word of a lie that "they hope they get to the bottom of it" pertaining to the fact that the procedure is happening up the bottom. Whether it was unintended or intended I do not know, but you could say you could not face going out or felt hopeless and helpless and they would still expect you to go. I have cried at jobcentre appointments as my depression takes hold and my workcoach stares at me like as an unemployed person, I should be devoid of emotion.

The DWP under the Tories are absolute scum and say that we all out there to live a lifestyle of watching daytime TV when for me it is totally the opposite. I want to get better but I am having counselling and am sorting out my health.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you are able to sort things out as you'd like. It's heartbreaking what these people are doing to people who just need a little help to get on and enjoy a quality of life that most people take for granted.

Keep going, you'll get there.

A new low from the DWP on 09:38 - May 15 with 3470 viewsWhymarkmariner

A new low from the DWP on 09:06 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

Hey up grimboy, you've got competition.

I'm not going into details, but my wife who used to get Incapacity benefit had to attend one of these so called assessments. They deemed her fit for work. But her Doctor had said that she was unfit for work. He is a professional who is employed by the Government and is being undermined by an organisation who's sole intention is to get people off benefit. The only type of life insurance I can obtain for my wife is via one of these companies that don't require a medical. The one's that do won't cover her for life insurance.
When the Tories decided that those that were working were fed up with low wages and people on benefits were better off than they were they decided to introduce the current system. We all know that some " Swing the lead" but many are for one reason or another incapable of being able to work and this is where the whole thing breaks down. Everyone on benefits were tarred with the same brush. They are lazy so and so's who don't want to work. Which is and was completely untrue. The Tories should have given more thought and time to this. Root out the true lead swingers and make sure that those who genuinely need help get help. Someone on radio were recently saying there should be more equality. I have no problem with a person who attains a status in life via hard work. What i do object to is the fact that during this so called austerity many of whom were rich before this are now vastly richer and many who may have been just above the poverty line and now vastly below it.
A new low from the DWP on 09:47 - May 15 with 3451 viewsDarth_Koont

A new low from the DWP on 09:38 - May 15 by Whymarkmariner

I'm not going into details, but my wife who used to get Incapacity benefit had to attend one of these so called assessments. They deemed her fit for work. But her Doctor had said that she was unfit for work. He is a professional who is employed by the Government and is being undermined by an organisation who's sole intention is to get people off benefit. The only type of life insurance I can obtain for my wife is via one of these companies that don't require a medical. The one's that do won't cover her for life insurance.
When the Tories decided that those that were working were fed up with low wages and people on benefits were better off than they were they decided to introduce the current system. We all know that some " Swing the lead" but many are for one reason or another incapable of being able to work and this is where the whole thing breaks down. Everyone on benefits were tarred with the same brush. They are lazy so and so's who don't want to work. Which is and was completely untrue. The Tories should have given more thought and time to this. Root out the true lead swingers and make sure that those who genuinely need help get help. Someone on radio were recently saying there should be more equality. I have no problem with a person who attains a status in life via hard work. What i do object to is the fact that during this so called austerity many of whom were rich before this are now vastly richer and many who may have been just above the poverty line and now vastly below it.

Sorry to hear this. I hope there's a change soon - both in your personal situation and on a wider level.

People in another thread are talking about the UK's world-leading tolerance, and that's true in some areas just as other countries lead the way in others. But we seem particularly intolerant of poorer people compared to our Western neighbours.

Not sure exactly what that's down to. Our long history of class politics that's seen a significant under-class emerge? Our largely unsympathetic press who believe people should pull themselves up by their own boot straps? Whether it's these or a combination of different factors, we should at least admit we have a bit of a blind spot here.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 9:48]

Pronouns: He/Him

A new low from the DWP on 10:13 - May 15 with 3392 viewsGuthrum

A new low from the DWP on 09:01 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

This is familiar smell that hangs around May and her government. There's Trump-esque levels of denial, a firmly believed alternative reality and blatant deception (lying) in everything they do. Everything.

And yet people still vote for them

I think they have come to the realisation that nothing they can do has any chance of working out. Drop taxes and increase hardship. Raise them and upset the "middle classes". Pursue Brexit too hard and annoy 48% of the country, with the other 52% disagreeing violently on what sort of Brexit they want.

There's more than a fair chance they won't get in next time (not so much a win for anyone else, as a Hung Parliament without the mathematics to form a coalition or agreement enabling them to govern) whatever happens. Especially if they appoint some loon as the new leader.

The alternatives are to throw up their hands, declare it's not working and let someone else have a go. But that would probably destroy (at least as an effective power for some time) the party to which they have dedicated much of their adult lives, as well as trashing their legacy and personal reputation. Or to bury their heads in the sand an hope something comes up to save them (at least it's not the kind of regime likely to invade somewhere as a distraction).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A new low from the DWP on 11:38 - May 15 with 3330 viewsOldsmoker

A new low from the DWP on 06:38 - May 15 by EdwardStone

Stormy times ahead

If the Govt. manage to win this PR exercise then they will do it again.
So what's next? How do they control the narrative?
Facebook is developing software to combat fake news - but what is fake news? Is it whatever the people controlling the software say it is.
It could be used to surpress any opinion or view that the controllers disagree with and if the controllers are the govt. then it's game,set and match.
I think we're a long way from that but we are heading in that direction rather than away from it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A new low from the DWP on 17:12 - May 15 with 3243 viewsWhymarkmariner

A new low from the DWP on 09:47 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Sorry to hear this. I hope there's a change soon - both in your personal situation and on a wider level.

People in another thread are talking about the UK's world-leading tolerance, and that's true in some areas just as other countries lead the way in others. But we seem particularly intolerant of poorer people compared to our Western neighbours.

Not sure exactly what that's down to. Our long history of class politics that's seen a significant under-class emerge? Our largely unsympathetic press who believe people should pull themselves up by their own boot straps? Whether it's these or a combination of different factors, we should at least admit we have a bit of a blind spot here.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 9:48]

Hi, thanks for any sympathy. I'm not actually looking for it and don't profess to be "poor"although I'm not rich either. I wasn't very academic at school, my fault no one else's, but have never been out of a job unless intentional. I still work even though I'm pushing 70, not full time but it brings in a few quid and keeps me active. If I had loads of money I would try to help those that haven't. But in my opinion it beggars belief that despite all the advances the World has made there are still people in a Country like ours, the fifth richest in the World, not able to feed themselves or their children properly or be able to keep warm in winter. There's too much lip service spouting from Government and the like about how much they put into this and that. But that's all it is, lip service intended to pacify growing anger whilst captains of industry pay themselves massive bonuses and wages and are pensioned off because of failure to the tune of millions.
A new low from the DWP on 17:15 - May 15 with 3235 viewsSpruceMoose

A new low from the DWP on 08:50 - May 15 by newcastlefan1984

Well, that shut RonnyBlue up.

Best wishes to you mate, Good work on taking some positive steps. I hope things work out well for you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A new low from the DWP on 17:53 - May 15 with 3212 viewsbrazil1982

Echoes of 1930s Germany? Bit over the top, that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024