Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
British democracy 09:35 - May 24 with 1815 viewsbluelagos

If TM announces her departure the next British PM, who will decide what type of Brexit we try for, will be decided by 300 Tory MPs and 120k Tory party members...

Democracy my arse.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

British democracy on 09:36 - May 24 with 1423 viewsStokieBlue

Did you post the same when Brown was parachuted in?

You vote for a party not a president.

I do tend to agree though that this is too important to be left to that bunch of tools.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

British democracy on 09:43 - May 24 with 1391 viewsfooters

British democracy on 09:36 - May 24 by StokieBlue

I do tend to agree though that this is too important to be left to that bunch of tools.

SB

Brown didn't parachute in, buh! He fought through Tone's trenches only to inherit a car crash! Poor fella was cuckolded ever since that meal at Granita... shame it's closed now. I heard Brown had the duck :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

British democracy on 09:43 - May 24 with 1388 viewsbluelagos

SB

Brown also lacked a popular mandate. I do not seek to make an anti tory point, rather a refection on how sh1t our version of democracy is.

British democracy on 09:45 - May 24 with 1380 viewsStokieBlue

British democracy on 09:43 - May 24 by bluelagos

Brown also lacked a popular mandate. I do not seek to make an anti tory point, rather a refection on how sh1t our version of democracy is.

Fair enough.

What would you prefer? A compulsory GE when the PM changes?

SB

British democracy on 09:45 - May 24 with 1379 viewscatch74

She’s at No10 about to release a statement!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

British democracy on 09:48 - May 24 with 1368 viewsbluelagos

British democracy on 09:45 - May 24 by StokieBlue

Fair enough.

SB

Yep.

I'd also prefer PR so we dont elect parties with huge majorities on less than 50% of the popular vote.

You're an intelligent poster, any ideas?

British democracy on 09:48 - May 24 with 1366 viewsWeWereZombies

British democracy on 09:45 - May 24 by catch74

The BBC live feed has a picture of a technician turning on the sound and lighting.

FFS, Laura, get a grip and stop getting worked up over peripherals.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

British democracy on 09:49 - May 24 with 1360 viewsBloomBlue

17million voted to leave the EU not leaving is against democracy.
Login to get fewer ads

British democracy on 09:49 - May 24 with 1360 viewsbluelagos

British democracy on 09:45 - May 24 by catch74

Good timing. She must be a Twtd reader...

British democracy on 09:52 - May 24 with 1334 viewstractordownsouth

British democracy on 09:49 - May 24 by BloomBlue

And who in the government has said we’re not leaving? As your lot like to say, the vote in 2016 did not specificy when or how we were leaving, just that we will leave. Nothing is being betrayed, unknot your knickers.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

British democracy on 09:53 - May 24 with 1331 viewsWeWereZombies

British democracy on 09:49 - May 24 by BloomBlue

Seventeen million is not half the population or even half those eligible to vote. And that was three years ago and some of us have had to do a lot of growing up since. Democracy rests upon open, rational and lucid debate. Which I believe we have yet to see in anything like its fullest sense on this issue.

British democracy on 09:57 - May 24 with 1315 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fair enough.

SB

I have no issue with a change of party leader during mid term but it should come with a clause that the new PM calls a general election within 12 months.

In my lifetime we have had Callaghan (Labour) Major (Tory) Brown (Labour) and May (Tory) take over mid term. Only Major has won a majority in a general election. Callaghan and Brown lost and Nay scraped in is the largest party in a minority government.

Edit. Looks like she’ll stay in as PM until a new Tory leader is elected. I disagree with this. Her deputy should take over as caretaker PM.
[Post edited 24 May 2019 10:00]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

British democracy on 10:00 - May 24 with 1301 viewsbluelagos

British democracy on 09:57 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

I have no issue with a change of party leader during mid term but it should come with a clause that the new PM calls a general election within 12 months.

In my lifetime we have had Callaghan (Labour) Major (Tory) Brown (Labour) and May (Tory) take over mid term. Only Major has won a majority in a general election. Callaghan and Brown lost and Nay scraped in is the largest party in a minority government.

Edit. Looks like she’ll stay in as PM until a new Tory leader is elected. I disagree with this. Her deputy should take over as caretaker PM.
[Post edited 24 May 2019 10:00]

6 months, and I'd agree with you on that Glassers.

Your post Tory journey towards normality continues :-)

British democracy on 10:01 - May 24 with 1298 viewsbluelagos

British democracy on 10:00 - May 24 by bluelagos

That is a joke, to be clear.

British democracy on 10:01 - May 24 with 1297 viewsBloomBlue

British democracy on 09:53 - May 24 by WeWereZombies

Seventeen million is not half the population or even half those eligible to vote. And that was three years ago and some of us have had to do a lot of growing up since. Democracy rests upon open, rational and lucid debate. Which I believe we have yet to see in anything like its fullest sense on this issue.

If people refuse / choose not to vote that's their choice, by not voting it doesnt mean they should have a say, it was their choice not to vote.

Plus you're saying we should have a vote on leaving the EU every 3 years because a lot changes in 3 years.
British democracy on 10:03 - May 24 with 1293 viewsStokieBlue

British democracy on 09:48 - May 24 by bluelagos

Yep.

I'd also prefer PR so we dont elect parties with huge majorities on less than 50% of the popular vote.

I've not really considered it in depth.

PR almost has to come in given the state of the two party system. My worry with that though is that the last few months have shown that our politicians seem incapable of meeting in the middle which would be essential if we had PR.

With regards to the PM, I think if it's not a presidential system then you have to accept that it's the party that has been voted for not the leader. Whoever is the leader should be working from the same manifesto. I think GBs suggestion of a GE within 12 months if the leadership changes has some merit.

SB

British democracy on 10:07 - May 24 with 1275 viewsSonOfSpock

British democracy on 09:48 - May 24 by bluelagos

Yep.

this is one of the reasons that I have switched from voting for the Tories to the SDP who , amoungst other polices favor PR.

There just a complete lack of consensus politics and the duopoly of Labour/Tory gets us nowhere nowadays.
British democracy on 10:07 - May 24 with 1272 viewsbluelagos

British democracy on 10:03 - May 24 by StokieBlue

I've not really considered it in depth.

PR almost has to come in given the state of the two party system. My worry with that though is that the last few months have shown that our politicians seem incapable of meeting in the middle which would be essential if we had PR.

With regards to the PM, I think if it's not a presidential system then you have to accept that it's the party that has been voted for not the leader. Whoever is the leader should be working from the same manifesto. I think GBs suggestion of a GE within 12 months if the leadership changes has some merit.

SB

I fully accept new PM will be abiding by our system. My point, is tbat our system is not fit for purpose.

1/4 of 1% of the electorate will decide who our next PM is...

British democracy on 10:09 - May 24 with 1259 viewsGlasgowBlue

British democracy on 10:00 - May 24 by bluelagos

I initially thought if six months but it really doesn’t give the new PM time to get their feet under the desk.

Iron Lion Zion

British democracy on 10:09 - May 24 with 1256 viewshampstead_blue

SB

He didn't parachute....I know because I'd already cut the lines........Shame, would have made a nice mess on the front step of #10.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

British democracy on 10:11 - May 24 with 1238 viewshampstead_blue

Fair enough.

SB

Agree, you vote for a party and not the leader.

It's up to the Party to chose the right leader, well one hopes.

A little blub at the end from her.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

British democracy on 10:15 - May 24 with 1209 viewsStokieBlue

British democracy on 10:07 - May 24 by bluelagos

I fully accept new PM will be abiding by our system. My point, is tbat our system is not fit for purpose.

1/4 of 1% of the electorate will decide who our next PM is...

Unfortunately that is the system. The electorate are supposed to vote for a party and a manifesto, not a figurehead (although I am sure this isn't what actually happens).

It's flaws are certainly going to be highlighted if Boris gets the job. He can't have much support across the electorate at large.

SB

British democracy on 10:18 - May 24 with 1188 viewshampstead_blue

British democracy on 10:15 - May 24 by StokieBlue

Unfortunately that is the system. The electorate are supposed to vote for a party and a manifesto, not a figurehead (although I am sure this isn't what actually happens).

It's flaws are certainly going to be highlighted if Boris gets the job. He can't have much support across the electorate at large.

SB

If Boris get's the job, then the method the public have to be happy/sad is a GE.

That's what happened to Brown. Got the job and lasted all of five minutes.

I don't think Boris will get it. It will go to a more moderate Brexiteer

British democracy on 10:20 - May 24 with 1174 viewsGlasgowBlue

British democracy on 10:15 - May 24 by StokieBlue

SB

According to the polls Boris puts 3 to 4 points on the Tory vote. Remember, this is the bloke who won twice in Labour London and sidelined Farage in the referendum campaign to spark some life into it.

He’s wholly unsuitable to public office but he’s and electoral asset.
[Post edited 24 May 2019 10:22]

Iron Lion Zion

British democracy on 10:24 - May 24 with 1152 viewsWeWereZombies

British democracy on 10:01 - May 24 by BloomBlue

If people refuse / choose not to vote that's their choice, by not voting it doesnt mean they should have a say, it was their choice not to vote.

Plus you're saying we should have a vote on leaving the EU every 3 years because a lot changes in 3 years.

That is not what I am saying at all, I want more information before I make a decision. If you want to set yourself adrift on a rudderless ship then go ahead but do not drag anyone else with you on your suicidal mission.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024