Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
lightning 18:42 - Jun 11 with 1878 viewslowhouseblue

can lightning hit a football pitch which is surrounded by very tall stands and pylons (with presumably lightning conductors)? don't those structures attract any lightening? they've just suspended the chile sweden game because of lightning - but wouldn't the pitch be a pretty safe place to be?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

lightning on 18:45 - Jun 11 with 1849 viewsJ2BLUE

While we're doing the lightning round, what about sitting in cars?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

lightning on 18:45 - Jun 11 with 1848 viewsSarge

Tall structures offer the most ‘attractive’ path to the ground but lightning can still strike anywhere, regardless of what’s around. Sensible to get players off the pitch.

Edit: I should add that things have to be really quite tall to be attractive for lightning, less than 50ft and it’s not going to make a lot of difference.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 18:47]
lightning on 18:46 - Jun 11 with 1847 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There have been cases of players being hit by lightening, and they also have a duty of care to spectators.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

lightning on 18:47 - Jun 11 with 1836 viewsBlueBadger

Presumably because lightning hitting tall stands and pylons is pretty dangerous to supporters AND players?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

lightning on 18:48 - Jun 11 with 1834 viewsjeera

lightning on 18:45 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

You'll be fine if you're wearing wellies.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

lightning on 18:48 - Jun 11 with 1828 viewsJ2BLUE

lightning on 18:48 - Jun 11 by jeera

You'll be fine if you're wearing wellies.

What about wearing nothing but a decorative thimble?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

lightning on 18:49 - Jun 11 with 1822 viewslowhouseblue

lightning on 18:46 - Jun 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

There have been cases of players being hit by lightening, and they also have a duty of care to spectators.

they've left the spectators where they were.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

lightning on 18:51 - Jun 11 with 1818 viewslowhouseblue

lightning on 18:45 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

when you say a car, you mean a faraday cage sitting on rubber mats?

(i should point out that i don't know what i'm talking about on this).

Login to get fewer ads

lightning on 18:53 - Jun 11 with 1809 viewsjeera

lightning on 18:48 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

What about wearing nothing but a decorative thimble?

Then assuming your car is wearing wellies you'll still be fine.

lightning on 18:54 - Jun 11 with 1798 viewslowhouseblue

lightning on 18:45 - Jun 11 by Sarge

Tall structures offer the most ‘attractive’ path to the ground but lightning can still strike anywhere, regardless of what’s around. Sensible to get players off the pitch.

Edit: I should add that things have to be really quite tall to be attractive for lightning, less than 50ft and it’s not going to make a lot of difference.

the stands look tall to me. i thought modern lightning protection was intended to attract the lightning? so it never actually hits the structure it just hits the lightning rod? i've had that system installed on buildings and have been assured that I was getting an umbrella of protection across other nearby buildings because the lightning would always seek out the lightning protection. perhaps i was sold a pup.

lightning on 19:00 - Jun 11 with 1775 viewsjeera

lightning on 18:45 - Jun 11 by Sarge

What about Peter Crouch?

lightning on 19:08 - Jun 11 with 1747 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

lightning on 19:00 - Jun 11 by jeera

What about Peter Crouch?

Spotted on his way to the ground to help out as a lightning conductor....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

lightning on 20:28 - Jun 11 with 1638 viewsSimonds92

Im sure i had a video of 'own goals and gaffes' where a waterlogged pitch got struck by lightning, and gave a shock to all those on the pitch with some being stretched off. Probably didnt have a roof on the stadium though tbf.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 21:44]
lightning on 11:10 - Jun 12 with 1452 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024