Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long will it be... 08:13 - Jun 14 with 6751 viewschicoazul

....before shops and online retailers aren't allowed to use terms like "Men's" to indicate which clothes are intended for men, but have to use something else instead?
I say within 3 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48628678

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How long will it be... on 08:14 - Jun 14 with 3009 viewsDanTheMan

I think you might be overreacting.

However, unisex clothes are becoming more popular.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

How long will it be... on 08:17 - Jun 14 with 2990 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:14 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

I think you might be overreacting.

However, unisex clothes are becoming more popular.

Please, describe my reaction to me. I don't think I have offered an opinion?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

How long will it be... on 08:18 - Jun 14 with 2978 viewsDanTheMan

How long will it be... on 08:17 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

Please, describe my reaction to me. I don't think I have offered an opinion?

You literally said in your opinion within 3 years mens clothing won't be labelled as mens...

How long will it be... on 08:20 - Jun 14 with 2964 viewshampstead_blue

we are swiftly moving toward a world were simply identifying something will get you into deep trouble.

Fear of offence could paralize normal society.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How long will it be... on 08:22 - Jun 14 with 2960 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:18 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

You literally said in your opinion within 3 years mens clothing won't be labelled as mens...

But I havent offered an opinion, so how can I be said to be "overreacting"? If I was offering an opinion I might have said something like for e.g.I think this will lead inevitably to mixed changing rooms meaning my 73 yo mum will be getting changed in the same set of rooms as a 30 yo man and that is wrong.

How long will it be... on 08:22 - Jun 14 with 2940 viewsBackToRussia

How long will it be... on 08:18 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

Go slower for chico mate he's still trying to work out how Tony Blair isn't a Communist.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

How long will it be... on 08:25 - Jun 14 with 2941 viewsDanTheMan

How long will it be... on 08:22 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

But I havent offered an opinion, so how can I be said to be "overreacting"? If I was offering an opinion I might have said something like for e.g.I think this will lead inevitably to mixed changing rooms meaning my 73 yo mum will be getting changed in the same set of rooms as a 30 yo man and that is wrong.

Your opinion is that in 3 years time Mens clothing won't be labelled as Mens, as a reaction to a piece about Gender stereotypes in adverts.

It's right there.

Am I going mad?

How long will it be... on 08:26 - Jun 14 with 2936 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:20 - Jun 14 by hampstead_blue

we are swiftly moving toward a world were simply identifying something will get you into deep trouble.

The link I gave talks about "harmful" gender stereotypes. This implies people know what is harmful and what isnt, and further implies that therefore this harmfulness is a moving target that will develop with time.
I believe it won't be long before retailers arent allowed to use terms like men and women, toilets wont be labelled mens or womens, etc. For the hard of reading allow me to be clear; I don't yet know how I would feel about that.

Login to get fewer ads

How long will it be... on 08:27 - Jun 14 with 2934 viewsartsbossbeard

How long will it be... on 08:25 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

Your opinion is that in 3 years time Mens clothing won't be labelled as Mens, as a reaction to a piece about Gender stereotypes in adverts.

It's right there.

Am I going mad?

You're most certainly the sane one here.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

How long will it be... on 08:28 - Jun 14 with 2926 viewsBlueBadger

Just before Brexit becomes a good idea.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How long will it be... on 08:28 - Jun 14 with 2930 viewsdickie

I fail to see anything negative in this report. Clothing is usually specifically designed for differing body shapes based on gender, age, size etc so I'd very much doubt what you say will come to fruition. However, being a father of both a girl and a boy I would broadly welcome a ban on gender specific children's clothing as the majority seem to reinforce gender based stereotypes - "Cheeky monkey" for boys, "little princess" for girls etc
How long will it be... on 08:28 - Jun 14 with 2928 viewssparks

How long will it be... on 08:22 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

1. You did offer an opinion as your question presupposes it will happen and asks how long it will be.

2. It does not inevitably mean mixed changing rooms

3. Why are mixed changing rooms wrong? I instinctively agree but is interesting to analyse the reasons for it...

I agree with the rule by the way. I also would object strongly to a rule that went so far as to deny difference.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How long will it be... on 08:29 - Jun 14 with 2911 viewsBlueBadger

How long will it be... on 08:20 - Jun 14 by hampstead_blue

Well, you can already be arrested and thrown in jail for saying you're English...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How long will it be... on 08:30 - Jun 14 with 2902 viewschicoazul

It's right there.

Am I going mad?

That's an opinion on what I think will happen, but I havent offered t a view on how I feel about it. So for me, you saying I am "overreacting" is, to me, a way to a) shut down debate and b) dismiss my opinion.

How long will it be... on 08:30 - Jun 14 with 2894 viewsnsblu1

It's right there.

Am I going mad?

You didn’t just ASSUME his opinion did you. Don’t you know you can’t do that nowadays, one must not assume anything about another as if may cause offence.
How long will it be... on 08:31 - Jun 14 with 2884 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:28 - Jun 14 by dickie

I fail to see anything negative in this report. Clothing is usually specifically designed for differing body shapes based on gender, age, size etc so I'd very much doubt what you say will come to fruition. However, being a father of both a girl and a boy I would broadly welcome a ban on gender specific children's clothing as the majority seem to reinforce gender based stereotypes - "Cheeky monkey" for boys, "little princess" for girls etc

Do you think gender based stereotypes are a bad thing? If so, why?

How long will it be... on 08:32 - Jun 14 with 2868 viewshampstead_blue

How long will it be... on 08:29 - Jun 14 by BlueBadger

Well, you can already be arrested and thrown in jail for saying you're English...

only in Tehran...... :-)

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How long will it be... on 08:34 - Jun 14 with 2865 viewsDanTheMan

How long will it be... on 08:30 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

That's an opinion on what I think will happen, but I havent offered t a view on how I feel about it. So for me, you saying I am "overreacting" is, to me, a way to a) shut down debate and b) dismiss my opinion.

It's neither.

You asked a question about how long it will be until you're no longer able to labels clothes as for Men.

You then said 3 years, which is an incredibly small amount of time.

Alongside this, you posted a piece about gender stereotypes in adverts.

I said I think you're overreacting if you think, given the opinion piece you've posted, you think in 3 years you won't be able to label clothes as for Men.

I can't believe I'm having to type this.

How long will it be... on 08:35 - Jun 14 with 2860 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:28 - Jun 14 by sparks

1. You did offer an opinion as your question presupposes it will happen and asks how long it will be.

2. It does not inevitably mean mixed changing rooms

3. Why are mixed changing rooms wrong? I instinctively agree but is interesting to analyse the reasons for it...

I agree with the rule by the way. I also would object strongly to a rule that went so far as to deny difference.

It's an opinion on what will happen, I offered nothing on how I felt about it. To get told I am overreacting is I think quite telling. I am neither seething with bile about nor completely relaxed about my hypothetical scenario. I just thought it was an interesting talking point.

How long will it be... on 08:37 - Jun 14 with 2837 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:34 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

It's neither.

You asked a question about how long it will be until you're no longer able to labels clothes as for Men.

I said I think you're overreacting if you think, given the opinion piece you've posted, you think in 3 years you won't be able to label clothes as for Men.

In that case why are you bothering, as you and others have already decided I am stupid/mad and i'm overreacting? You could tell me why you think i'm wrong, of course.

How long will it be... on 08:39 - Jun 14 with 2829 viewsBlueBadger

How long will it be... on 08:34 - Jun 14 by DanTheMan

It's neither.

I've come to the conclusion that Chico finds and expresses his opinions like dogs chase cats. He flushes them out, then chases up them up a tree and stands there barking at them to the bemusement of others.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 9:41]

How long will it be... on 08:41 - Jun 14 with 2811 viewsdickie

How long will it be... on 08:31 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

Do you think gender based stereotypes are a bad thing? If so, why?

First and foremost yes. And there have been many studies that have shown that gender based stereotypes can contribute to male suicide rates as well as body related issues in females. Also, unless you believe gender equality is a bad thing how can anyone think that gender based stereotypes can be positive at all seeing as they can only undermine the equality of male and female roles in society?
How long will it be... on 08:50 - Jun 14 with 2767 viewschicoazul

How long will it be... on 08:41 - Jun 14 by dickie

First and foremost yes. And there have been many studies that have shown that gender based stereotypes can contribute to male suicide rates as well as body related issues in females. Also, unless you believe gender equality is a bad thing how can anyone think that gender based stereotypes can be positive at all seeing as they can only undermine the equality of male and female roles in society?

Interesting thanks. I dont think there is a good argument against what you say, other than to (as I have) imagine where this drive for equality eventually leads.

How long will it be... on 08:54 - Jun 14 with 2733 viewsBrixtonBlue

How long will it be... on 08:30 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

So you did offer an opinion then..

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How long will it be... on 08:56 - Jun 14 with 2725 viewsDanTheMan

How long will it be... on 08:37 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

In that case why are you bothering, as you and others have already decided I am stupid/mad and i'm overreacting? You could tell me why you think i'm wrong, of course.

Just because I think you are overreacting (which is my opinion) does not mean that you're stupid or mad, just that I thought it was an overreaction.

I think you're wrong because clothing and gender stereotypes in advertisement have relatively little to do with each other.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024