Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England vs. France U21s 20:34 - Jun 18 with 1741 viewschristiand

An entertaining game thus far, some really good football on show.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

England vs. France U21s on 20:36 - Jun 18 with 1737 viewssundaze

I just wrote to you on the VAR thread regarding Henderson's penalty save.
England vs. France U21s on 20:39 - Jun 18 with 1726 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 20:36 - Jun 18 by sundaze

Are they not using VAR in this tournament? I missed the replay, but a decent save but no doubt Henderson was off his line before the penalty was taken.

Your response was to Radlett Blue in the other thread.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:40]

England vs. France U21s on 20:43 - Jun 18 with 1711 viewssundaze

England vs. France U21s on 20:39 - Jun 18 by christiand

Are they not using VAR in this tournament? I missed the replay, but a decent save but no doubt Henderson was off his line before the penalty was taken.

Your response was to Radlett Blue in the other thread.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:40]

No VAR, which in itself is strange. I thought he went early, so watched it back and he went way off his line and made the save.
This is why I think it was harsh last night to award a yellow card when the goalkeeper didn't save the penalty. It's different if the keeper, such as Henderson this evening affects the game.
England vs. France U21s on 20:52 - Jun 18 with 1692 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 20:43 - Jun 18 by sundaze

No VAR, which in itself is strange. I thought he went early, so watched it back and he went way off his line and made the save.
This is why I think it was harsh last night to award a yellow card when the goalkeeper didn't save the penalty. It's different if the keeper, such as Henderson this evening affects the game.

That’s fair. Bent Double was making the same point in the VAR thread, which does seem more logical giving it more thought. The problem is, it’s not necessarily VAR that’s the problem but the rules/procedures that have been put in place....if this occurs, then X happens.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:54]

England vs. France U21s on 20:58 - Jun 18 with 1674 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

What channel is it mate

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

England vs. France U21s on 20:59 - Jun 18 with 1670 viewssundaze

England vs. France U21s on 20:52 - Jun 18 by christiand

That’s fair. Bent Double was making the same point in the VAR thread, which does seem more logical giving it more thought. The problem is, it’s not necessarily VAR that’s the problem but the rules/procedures that have been put in place....if this occurs, then X happens.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:54]

I do think the keepers are going to find it very difficult to stay on their line until the ball is kicked. Penalty takers are going to use every trick in the book to get them to move off their line.
Yet another chance to get a player booked and with the amount of times penalties are going to be given this season for ball hitting hands and arms, the reserve keepers could be getting more game time.
England vs. France U21s on 21:00 - Jun 18 with 1669 viewssundaze

England vs. France U21s on 20:58 - Jun 18 by TRUE_BLUE123

What channel is it mate

Sky 403
England vs. France U21s on 21:11 - Jun 18 with 1651 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 21:00 - Jun 18 by sundaze

Sky 403

That’s the one! 👍

Login to get fewer ads

England vs. France U21s on 21:13 - Jun 18 with 1648 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 20:59 - Jun 18 by sundaze

I do think the keepers are going to find it very difficult to stay on their line until the ball is kicked. Penalty takers are going to use every trick in the book to get them to move off their line.
Yet another chance to get a player booked and with the amount of times penalties are going to be given this season for ball hitting hands and arms, the reserve keepers could be getting more game time.

They’re certainly going to need to be creative.

England vs. France U21s on 21:27 - Jun 18 with 1620 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 20:36 - Jun 18 by sundaze

VAR has sprung into life! They don’t seem to be checking whether Henderson moved off his line for those two French penalties.

England vs. France U21s on 21:44 - Jun 18 with 1587 viewssundaze

England vs. France U21s on 21:27 - Jun 18 by christiand

VAR has sprung into life! They don’t seem to be checking whether Henderson moved off his line for those two French penalties.

I find it confusing, commentators said it was VAR less.

Good that Henderson is still in goal though, he has been brilliant.
England vs. France U21s on 21:47 - Jun 18 with 1580 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 21:44 - Jun 18 by sundaze

I find it confusing, commentators said it was VAR less.

Good that Henderson is still in goal though, he has been brilliant.

He certainly does. I wonder if Manchester United will loan him out to the Blades again?

England vs. France U21s on 21:53 - Jun 18 with 1561 viewssundaze

England vs. France U21s on 21:47 - Jun 18 by christiand

He certainly does. I wonder if Manchester United will loan him out to the Blades again?

Wouldn't do him any harm having a season of experience in the premier league.
Defending has been poor tonight from England.
England vs. France U21s on 22:27 - Jun 18 with 1502 viewsRadlett_blue

England vs. France U21s on 20:59 - Jun 18 by sundaze

It's very simple for a goalkeeper to stay on their line when they face a penalty kick if they choose to do so. However, most of them choose to cheat as it makes it more likely that they can save the kick. That's professional sport - what you get away with is OK.
However, if there is a sanction e.g. the kick being re-taken if not scored and a yellow card for the keeper, then they might change their behaviour & play within the laws.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England vs. France U21s on 06:57 - Jun 19 with 1387 viewschristiand

England vs. France U21s on 22:27 - Jun 18 by Radlett_blue

It's very simple for a goalkeeper to stay on their line when they face a penalty kick if they choose to do so. However, most of them choose to cheat as it makes it more likely that they can save the kick. That's professional sport - what you get away with is OK.
However, if there is a sanction e.g. the kick being re-taken if not scored and a yellow card for the keeper, then they might change their behaviour & play within the laws.

If it was me, I think I'd try starting behind my goal line, walk forwards as the penalty taker begins their run up just to ensure part of my foot is on the line as the ball is struck. I'm sure we're going to see some creative approaches from goalkeepers in the EPL next season.

England vs. France U21s on 08:38 - Jun 19 with 1327 viewssundaze

England vs. France U21s on 22:27 - Jun 18 by Radlett_blue

Yes it's simple to stay in the line, however if players choose to stutter their run up and try to deceive the keeper it is not so simple to judge the run and wait for the ball to move.
Keepers need to watch the player to try and work out where they think the ball is going to be placed, if they have to have eyes on the ball rather than the player, it makes their job more difficult than before.
I have no problem with yellow cards for cheating, but it should also apply to penalty takers stuttering their run up to try and make the keeper move. I would also make a penalty either hit or miss between the penalty taker and the keeper, just like penalty shoot outs, no other players over the half way line, this would stop the encroachment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024