Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? 07:36 - Jun 29 with 5035 viewsPippin1970

Lancaster for myself. Spent millions on university so huge influx in students spending money into the city. Everything improved shops transport links etc etc.
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 07:41 - Jun 29 with 4585 viewsbluelagos

Liverpool, Newcastle centres have been transformed, the suburbs less so.

For me, the big failure has been to regenerate the transport links between the big cities. Try catching cross country trains, they are sh1te. No wonder the roads get clogged uo with all the environmental implications.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 08:49 - Jun 29 with 4501 viewsSuperblue95

Bury St. Edmunds has changed a bit since I lived there as a kid

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:09 - Jun 29 with 4474 viewshatch

Birmingham has transformed in recent years with the new team extension, new Grand Central Station which is a railway lovers wet dream and the development of Paradise Circus. Not to mention the Mailbox and Bullring developments of a decade ago. Even Digbeth on the way to St Andrews is becoming Birmingham’s very own Shoreditch.
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:12 - Jun 29 with 4465 viewsBigManBlue

Sheffield for me. City centre's much less of a dump, but still a lot of decent boozers.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:43 - Jun 29 with 4422 viewsWeWereZombies

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 07:41 - Jun 29 by bluelagos

Liverpool, Newcastle centres have been transformed, the suburbs less so.

For me, the big failure has been to regenerate the transport links between the big cities. Try catching cross country trains, they are sh1te. No wonder the roads get clogged uo with all the environmental implications.

Glasgow and Dundee. But, as you point out, the regeneration only stretches so far. True in Ipswich too, the dockside is quite swanky but a few steps brings you to an intolerable traffic jungle and the wasteland of Cardinal Park. A couple of miles up the Norwich Road and Whitton looks as in need of tender loving care as ever.

I am struggling to think of any town or city that has brought all of its districts up to scratch evenly.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:43 - Jun 29 with 4424 viewsbluejake78

Gt Yarmouth
Great improvement as they've added half a dozen more chip vans to the market.
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:45 - Jun 29 with 4415 viewsfooters

Camden's really come on since they got rid of anything cultural or remotely interesting.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 10:27 - Jun 29 with 4365 viewslinhdi

Leeds city centre - it's brilliant nowadays. And Bristol, which was always relatively ok, is now fab.
Login to get fewer ads

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 12:01 - Jun 29 with 4252 viewsGuthrum

Cardiff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 15:48 - Jun 29 with 4108 viewsclive_baker

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 08:49 - Jun 29 by Superblue95

Bury St. Edmunds has changed a bit since I lived there as a kid

Bury is a lovely place now, it really impressed me when I went there recently. Good for a session on the booze too.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 16:33 - Jun 29 with 4063 viewsstrikalite

Peterborough is growing massively, seems to be a new township springing up every time I'm down one of the parkways, the football ground side is the old side, they're developing all around there now and the old ground stands out like a soar thumb, needs knocking down and moving imo closer to the A1...
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 17:20 - Jun 29 with 4011 viewsroysboys

Rome. You should have seen it before the Romans came.

Blog: Pig Tales - An Old Story Brought Bang Up to Date

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 21:42 - Jun 29 with 3878 viewswallyvincent

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 16:33 - Jun 29 by strikalite

Peterborough is growing massively, seems to be a new township springing up every time I'm down one of the parkways, the football ground side is the old side, they're developing all around there now and the old ground stands out like a soar thumb, needs knocking down and moving imo closer to the A1...

I think I’m right in saying the club now own the freehold, expect within the next 5 years the club to move t out of the centre and a new retail complex etc etc.
Peterborough really is such an enigma. The cathedral, nene park, the steam railway just some of the quaint attractions coupled with the dross in the city centre and some of the surrounding sprawling estates.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 23:56 - Jun 29 with 3780 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:09 - Jun 29 by hatch

Birmingham has transformed in recent years with the new team extension, new Grand Central Station which is a railway lovers wet dream and the development of Paradise Circus. Not to mention the Mailbox and Bullring developments of a decade ago. Even Digbeth on the way to St Andrews is becoming Birmingham’s very own Shoreditch.

Birmingham is a dump.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 00:04 - Jun 30 with 3773 viewsOldsmoker

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 21:42 - Jun 29 by wallyvincent

I think I’m right in saying the club now own the freehold, expect within the next 5 years the club to move t out of the centre and a new retail complex etc etc.
Peterborough really is such an enigma. The cathedral, nene park, the steam railway just some of the quaint attractions coupled with the dross in the city centre and some of the surrounding sprawling estates.

I was driving at 11pm through W Norfolk taking the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed.
After Chatteris I headed for Huntingdon going for the A14 to get on the M6. Somewhere I took a wrong turn and found myself on a 4-lane motorway heading towards Peterboro' that I couldn't get off. It was all lit up and I was the only car on the road.
Peterboro' must have something going for it if it's got that sort of infrastructure.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 07:23 - Jun 30 with 3656 viewsWeWereZombies

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 00:04 - Jun 30 by Oldsmoker

I was driving at 11pm through W Norfolk taking the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed.
After Chatteris I headed for Huntingdon going for the A14 to get on the M6. Somewhere I took a wrong turn and found myself on a 4-lane motorway heading towards Peterboro' that I couldn't get off. It was all lit up and I was the only car on the road.
Peterboro' must have something going for it if it's got that sort of infrastructure.

My theory on that stretch of the A1 is that it was built when John Major was in office and, I guess purely by coincidence, happens to be quite close to John Major's home...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 08:14 - Jun 30 with 3599 viewsTractorWood

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 00:04 - Jun 30 by Oldsmoker

That bit of the A1(M) is absolutely excellent. I've always been puzzled why it's there as it's always very quiet. Didn't know it was because John Major wanted an easy commute.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 08:36 - Jun 30 with 3574 viewsHerbivore

Norwich has improved a lot since I first moved here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:36 - Jun 30 with 3531 viewsPJH

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 08:36 - Jun 30 by Herbivore

Norwich has improved a lot since I first moved here.

Because you moved there?
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:41 - Jun 30 with 3516 viewsHerbivore

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:36 - Jun 30 by PJH

Because you moved there?

I mean it's hard to infer causation but the correlation is undeniable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:46 - Jun 30 with 3505 viewsGeoffSentence

Berlin. It was a right tip in the mid-1940s. It's pretty cool now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:52 - Jun 30 with 3493 viewswellsy700

Worcester

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 13:32 - Jun 30 with 3409 viewsstrikalite

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 21:42 - Jun 29 by wallyvincent

I think if ever they did manage to get into the Championship again they'd move the ground yes, strange ground now, two new stands and two old ones, at least we'll have all the Motorpoint stand behind the goal to generate a good atmosphere..

A lot of restaurant places in the City now, Queensgate still decent and adding a cinema next to John Lewis with all that parking will help the Centre..

Coming straight off the A1 is where it's growing hugely, easy commute to Cambridge once the A14 is sorted, Hampton, Orton Northgate etc are huge now, no real need to go into the City, all good food places in Hampton, Cinema etc straight down the parkway..

Two really good golf courses too, always in great condition, pay as you play too..
Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 19:09 - Jun 30 with 3283 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 09:46 - Jun 30 by GeoffSentence

Berlin. It was a right tip in the mid-1940s. It's pretty cool now.

Was great around 2006 but has gone downhill in the last four years.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 19:25 - Jun 30 with 3270 viewsGeoffSentence

Towns or Cities that have improved in time? on 19:09 - Jun 30 by The_Last_Baron

Was great around 2006 but has gone downhill in the last four years.

But still better than the mid to late 40s though, yeah?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024