Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awwww ... the romance of modern football 14:41 - Jul 12 with 2374 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

16 year old striker Louie Barry has left West Bromwich Albion for Barcelona.

West Brom are fuming at the arrogance of Barcelona for unveiling him before the deal was even completed.

Barcelona managed to get one of the hottest kids in world football for peanuts on the basis that they are a foreign club, meaning West Brom seriously miss out financially on a kid deemed good enough for the biggest club on the planet.

Meanwhile, Paris St Germain tried to hijack the deal by offering Barry's dad 3 million euros!

It makes you wonder what Barcelona have promised a 16 year old and his family.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:43 - Jul 12 with 2344 viewsBlueNomad

It's more and more obscene
Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:47 - Jul 12 with 2328 viewsitfcjoe

Regardless of the money side, I think a 16 year old midlander getting the opportunity to go and play for Barcelona and learn and study at La Masia is pretty romantic.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Barca behaving like assholes shocker (n/t) on 14:49 - Jul 12 with 2301 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:49 - Jul 12 with 2299 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:47 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

Regardless of the money side, I think a 16 year old midlander getting the opportunity to go and play for Barcelona and learn and study at La Masia is pretty romantic.

Indeed, he must be absolutely made up

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:59 - Jul 12 with 2246 viewsReusersTown

More or less romantic than playing at your local team that you have been at since 6, and presumably support. For the sake of money? I'd say less, much less.
Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:59 - Jul 12 with 2239 viewshomer_123

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:43 - Jul 12 by BlueNomad

It's more and more obscene

It is more and more a business.

Not that your comment was wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 15:04 - Jul 12 with 2218 viewsitfcjoe

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:59 - Jul 12 by ReusersTown

More or less romantic than playing at your local team that you have been at since 6, and presumably support. For the sake of money? I'd say less, much less.

He's an Aston Villa fan.

It's not for the sake of money though, anyone who can't see that it is a fantastic opportunity for the boy to develop in an incredible environment is being incredibly myopic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Barca behaving like assholes shocker (n/t) on 15:06 - Jul 12 with 2192 viewsFixed_It

Barca behaving like assholes shocker (n/t) on 14:49 - Jul 12 by Dyland

Yeah - but they didn't succeed in their late bid for Luke Garbutt though, did they?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 15:07 - Jul 12 with 2191 viewsKieran_Knows

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 14:59 - Jul 12 by ReusersTown

You do realise he's joined Barcelona? Whether its for the money or not, we're talking about leaving West Brom for one of, if not, the biggest football clubs in world football. He may never make an appearance for them, but what a 2/3 years he will have at La Masia.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 16:30 - Jul 12 with 2082 viewsallezlesbleus

Shows how wrong modern football is.

WBA have been investing in the lad since he was 6 and they only get about 1/4 of a mill in compensation.

He will probably never play for Barca's 1st team, but will be set up for life by the time he hits 20.

Back in the good old days, he would have played 2 or 3 seasons for Albion, got on the fringes of the England team and then gone to a "big" club where he would play most games.

Good luck to him though.
Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 16:32 - Jul 12 with 2072 viewsBigManBlue

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 16:30 - Jul 12 by allezlesbleus

WBA have been investing in the lad since he was 6 and they only get about 1/4 of a mill in compensation.

He will probably never play for Barca's 1st team, but will be set up for life by the time he hits 20.

Back in the good old days, he would have played 2 or 3 seasons for Albion, got on the fringes of the England team and then gone to a "big" club where he would play most games.

Good luck to him though.

Agreed! Fair play to the kid though, I mean how many 16 year olds don't dream of getting signed by Barca? Not his fault the system is rotten, I just hope he enjoys himself out there and makes the most of it.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 17:10 - Jul 12 with 1994 viewsITFC_Forever

Good luck to him though.

I would say him and his family are probably set up for life now he's joined Barcelona, never mind by the time he's 20.

If PSG were going to hijack the deal for €3m, then Barcelona are presumably paying a figure that's at least two-thirds of that.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 17:24 - Jul 12 with 1954 viewsstrikalite

Good luck to him though.

Yep you can't blame the lad obviously, but from a WBA point of view you tend to think what's the point of an academy, even worse for Cat 2 Clubs, losing CB to Chelsea still makes my blood boil, just to name one..

What chance do 95% of Clubs have now....
Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 18:31 - Jul 12 with 1865 viewsElephantintheRoom

This may come as a bit of a shock to you - but given a choice between Barcelona and West Brom, not many would choose the vile, grimy midlands - even without the carrot of unimaginable wealth.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Awwww ... the romance of modern football on 19:11 - Jul 12 with 1806 viewsAce_High1

Exactly, incredible opportunity and the lifestyle will be much better.

No better education in football than La Masia.

What I would give to be 16 again and have that chance!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024