Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes 14:53 - Jul 29 with 2670 viewsSteve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/29/edgbaston-ashes-england-australia-

Obviously this will mainly be SWGF this week......

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:59 - Jul 29 with 2641 viewsBlueRaider

I was there for the semi, and it was like football

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:02 - Jul 29 with 2632 viewsJakeITFC

I’ve managed to snag a corporate jolly to day one, so I will very much be joining in.
Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:06 - Jul 29 with 2627 viewsReuser_is_God

I was there in 2012 for a test against West Indies & the 1st 2 days had been raine doff so I saw the toss on day 3.

Absolutely nothing on the game, England played a second string but the atmosphere was quality.

I'd love to be there this week.

Give it to 'em.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 15:06]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:48 - Jul 29 with 2588 viewsSWGF

Correct. Twenty tickets for Days 1 and 2.

Have been in the Eric Hollies a few times. Way back in 2009, was front row and gave Johnson dogs' abuse all day; I was so very, very drunk. To be fair, during the Champions Trophy match against the Aussies in 2017, I was also in the Hollies and people couldn't STAND at midday. Chatting to a group of chaps next to us and they'd met in their local at 7am to ensure they were well-oiled for the start.

It's a good place to start things off.

Edit: Hope I get to see more cricket than I did at Lord's on Friday!
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 15:59]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:23 - Jul 29 with 2536 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:48 - Jul 29 by SWGF

Have been in the Eric Hollies a few times. Way back in 2009, was front row and gave Johnson dogs' abuse all day; I was so very, very drunk. To be fair, during the Champions Trophy match against the Aussies in 2017, I was also in the Hollies and people couldn't STAND at midday. Chatting to a group of chaps next to us and they'd met in their local at 7am to ensure they were well-oiled for the start.

Remember watching that 2017 game on the telly & the atmosphere really came across.

It seems Warner is already crying off with a bruised knee.

Evans out

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:28 - Jul 29 with 2530 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:23 - Jul 29 by Reuser_is_God

Remember watching that 2017 game on the telly & the atmosphere really came across.

It seems Warner is already crying off with a bruised knee.

He'll have to explain that to Steve Waugh!

That's the same Steve Waugh who was batting with Dean Jones in 110f heat in India and turned to Steve Waugh after vomiting several times and said " can't go on skip it's too hot I have to go off" to which Steve Waugh turned round and said " go on then Feck off and we'll get a proper Aussie out to replace you "

I don't think a bruised knee will cut much ice with Mr Waugh!
Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:35 - Jul 29 with 2521 viewsBrianTablet

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:28 - Jul 29 by IpswichKnight

That's the same Steve Waugh who was batting with Dean Jones in 110f heat in India and turned to Steve Waugh after vomiting several times and said " can't go on skip it's too hot I have to go off" to which Steve Waugh turned round and said " go on then Feck off and we'll get a proper Aussie out to replace you "

Steve "Best batsman in the world? He's not even the best batsman in his family." Waugh

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:41 - Jul 29 with 2499 viewsHerbivore

I went last year for the India test and it was quality. I had tickets for this coming Sunday but sold them on to a mate as I couldn't justify the additional costs for travel, accommodation, and copious beers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:53 - Jul 29 with 2489 viewsSWGF

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:35 - Jul 29 by BrianTablet

Steve "Best batsman in the world? He's not even the best batsman in his family." Waugh

Was at the SCG in 2003 when he scored a century in the day, scoring a four off of the last ball of the day, to take him to 100. He also passed 10,000 Test runs that innings and equalled Bradman's number of centuries.

Now THAT was loud!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 17:17 - Jul 29 with 2456 viewsBrianTablet

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:53 - Jul 29 by SWGF

Was at the SCG in 2003 when he scored a century in the day, scoring a four off of the last ball of the day, to take him to 100. He also passed 10,000 Test runs that innings and equalled Bradman's number of centuries.

Now THAT was loud!

I was at Edgbaston on the Sunday in 2005.
It went from raucous to excited to nervous to pin drop to funereal to deafening....
Most tense two hours of live sport I've ever watched.

"You should have batted first..."

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 17:19 - Jul 29 with 2442 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:48 - Jul 29 by SWGF

You'll probably remember more from Friday though.....

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 22:08 - Jul 29 with 2318 viewsPlums

Been in the Hollies or Bank as it was a few times. The first was 1997 against the Aussies, that day lives long in the memory. We arrived at 1030 and sat in front of a group of Brum City fans who had a chilled bottle of vodka each. By mid day, the place was a good natured riot.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 22:09 - Jul 29 with 2315 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 22:08 - Jul 29 by Plums

Been in the Hollies or Bank as it was a few times. The first was 1997 against the Aussies, that day lives long in the memory. We arrived at 1030 and sat in front of a group of Brum City fans who had a chilled bottle of vodka each. By mid day, the place was a good natured riot.

‘Good natured riot’

Excellent description.

Evans out

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 22:17 - Jul 29 with 2298 viewsBlueStreak

I've got tickets for the first day at Lords. Will be a little more sedate I imagine! Fecking give them hell!
Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:06 - Jul 31 with 2164 viewsSteve_M

Hmmm....

Fighting talk on 14:09 - Jul 31 with 2158 viewsDyland

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:06 - Jul 31 by Steve_M

Hmmm....

Good for him :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:09 - Jul 31 with 2156 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:06 - Jul 31 by Steve_M

Hmmm....

That could bite him on the arse.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:18 - Jul 31 with 2145 viewsCoastalblue

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:45 - Jul 31 with 2126 viewsReuser_is_God

Hmmm....

Has Tim Paine even played at 15 different cricket grounds?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 14:46]

Evans out

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:27 - Jul 31 with 2095 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 14:09 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

That could bite him on the arse.

Usual pre-match chat, which usually doesn't mean a thing, but it gives the media something to write about.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:54 - Jul 31 with 2086 viewspatrickswell

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:28 - Jul 29 by IpswichKnight

Pedant alert - it was Allan Border who said that to Jones. Nevertheless, Steve Waugh came back from a torn calf muscle in the 3rd Test of the 2001 series so he could play in the 5th and final Test - all due to trying to make England nervous after we’d won the 4th Test.
Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 16:25 - Jul 31 with 2071 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket: Piece on Edgabston's raucousness ahead of The Ashes on 15:54 - Jul 31 by patrickswell

Pedant alert - it was Allan Border who said that to Jones. Nevertheless, Steve Waugh came back from a torn calf muscle in the 3rd Test of the 2001 series so he could play in the 5th and final Test - all due to trying to make England nervous after we’d won the 4th Test.

I also recall when Jones objected to Curtly Ambrose wearing a wrist band as he said it made it difficult to pick up the ball. The umpire asked Curtly to remove the band, which he did, but he then started bowling about 10mph faster & finished with a match winning 5-32. I believe the after match conversation went something like this:
AB: Deano?
DJ: Yes AB.
AB: Don't pi$$ Curtly again.
DJ: Okay, AB.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024