Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A picture from the IPCC report 19:10 - Aug 13 with 1654 viewseireblue

Just in case any bee friendly people want to do their bit to mitigate climate change and help bees.

[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 19:10]
A picture from the IPCC report on 19:11 - Aug 13 with 1640 viewsSpruceMoose

Bees don't pollinate fish silly!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A picture from the IPCC report on 19:16 - Aug 13 with 1626 viewsJ2BLUE

What about the low carb diet where they base meals on animal products?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A picture from the IPCC report on 19:33 - Aug 13 with 1584 viewseireblue

A picture from the IPCC report on 19:11 - Aug 13 by SpruceMoose

Bees don't pollinate fish silly!

Hmmmm, I may have done more damage to bees that I first anticipated, but they really did look like they were waving.
A picture from the IPCC report on 19:44 - Aug 13 with 1562 viewseireblue

A picture from the IPCC report on 19:16 - Aug 13 by J2BLUE

What about the low carb diet where they base meals on animal products?

In the report it talks about replacing ruminant meet with other meat, whilst maintaining nutritional values.

Ruminants meat being really bad.

So either, the report was written by a vegan, and a top eight is enough typing, or since they are illustrating reducing Green House Gases, and they make the point in the report about runimants, your diet could be covered by the Climate Carnivore section.

Section 5 has the discussion diets and GHG contribution, but that is the top eight they produced.
A picture from the IPCC report on 21:02 - Aug 13 with 1489 viewsMugwump

I don’t want to enter a food minefield argument - but if we were in a vegan world surely it would mean growing all the crops chemically as there would be no manure?
A picture from the IPCC report on 21:07 - Aug 13 with 1466 viewsClapham_Junction

A picture from the IPCC report on 21:02 - Aug 13 by Mugwump

I don’t want to enter a food minefield argument - but if we were in a vegan world surely it would mean growing all the crops chemically as there would be no manure?

This is already the case for a large number of farms. My Dad hasn't had any manure since he went arable only.

Also, if we had a more comprehensive food and garden waste service and more compostable products, there would potentially be a decent amount of material available from that for spreading on fields.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 21:08]
A picture from the IPCC report on 21:18 - Aug 13 with 1422 viewsStokieBlue

A picture from the IPCC report on 21:07 - Aug 13 by Clapham_Junction

This is already the case for a large number of farms. My Dad hasn't had any manure since he went arable only.

Also, if we had a more comprehensive food and garden waste service and more compostable products, there would potentially be a decent amount of material available from that for spreading on fields.

That's interesting. What is the yield vs either chemical or manure based fertiliser (if you know off hand)?

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:02 - Aug 13 with 1386 viewseireblue

A picture from the IPCC report on 21:18 - Aug 13 by StokieBlue

That's interesting. What is the yield vs either chemical or manure based fertiliser (if you know off hand)?

SB

As well as the nostock link I sent.

This may be interesting for you.

https://www.cimmyt.org/news/what-is-green-manure-and-how-is-it-helping-maize-far

Manure is mentioned in the IPCC report.

Also, for a UK perspective, this is quite good.

http://animal.law.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/Eating-Away-at-Climate-Change-w
Login to get fewer ads

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:15 - Aug 13 with 1363 viewsClapham_Junction

A picture from the IPCC report on 21:18 - Aug 13 by StokieBlue

SB

No idea, but I imagine it would be more of a long-term boost to soil productivity rather than short term as the material would take a while to break down completely, as opposed to artificial fertiliser which has an instant impact.

Artificial fertilisers will always be the best yield-wise as they can be targeted exactly where needed both in terms of being drilled with the seeds, and more being added in certain parts of fields using GPS.
A picture from the IPCC report on 22:21 - Aug 13 with 1345 viewsStokieBlue

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:15 - Aug 13 by Clapham_Junction

No idea, but I imagine it would be more of a long-term boost to soil productivity rather than short term as the material would take a while to break down completely, as opposed to artificial fertiliser which has an instant impact.

Artificial fertilisers will always be the best yield-wise as they can be targeted exactly where needed both in terms of being drilled with the seeds, and more being added in certain parts of fields using GPS.

What would be your view (and eireblues) on naturally fertilised genetically engineered crops?

That would give likely higher yield combined with the long-term boost to soil productivity.

SB

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:32 - Aug 13 with 1325 viewsDubtractor

A picture from the IPCC report on 21:07 - Aug 13 by Clapham_Junction

Worth noting that more than 4 million tonnes of food and garden waste from households in England was collected for composting last year.

Almost all of that, post compost process (which will lose a lot of water) will have ended up spread on agricultural land.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:38 - Aug 13 with 1319 viewsClapham_Junction

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:21 - Aug 13 by StokieBlue

What would be your view (and eireblues) on naturally fertilised genetically engineered crops?

That would give likely higher yield combined with the long-term boost to soil productivity.

SB

I have no objections to it from a food production basis, and I think it has significant benefits in terms of reducing chemical use (both fertiliser and herbicide/pesticides) and the amount of land needed for agriculture.

A bigger concern for me is that companies will try to create a captive market with strains of cereals that can only be grown in combination with their herbicides or pesticides, meaning farmers are forced to buy certain products and that those in poorer countries miss out. IMO it would be better if this area of research was more public sector-led (e.g. by universities or national agricultural agencies), which would mean it the new varieties could be patent-free or available at non-inflated prices. I think there is certainly a public interest argument for this, particularly in developing countries.
A picture from the IPCC report on 22:54 - Aug 13 with 1297 viewsClapham_Junction

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:32 - Aug 13 by Dubtractor

Worth noting that more than 4 million tonnes of food and garden waste from households in England was collected for composting last year.

Almost all of that, post compost process (which will lose a lot of water) will have ended up spread on agricultural land.

To put that into perspective, the amount of animal manure used on farms is in the order of 100m tonnes.

However, I guess the 4 million tonnes could be increased significantly if all households and businesses had compostable waste collections and people actually put everything they could it.
A picture from the IPCC report on 22:54 - Aug 13 with 1296 viewsStokieBlue

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:38 - Aug 13 by Clapham_Junction

I have no objections to it from a food production basis, and I think it has significant benefits in terms of reducing chemical use (both fertiliser and herbicide/pesticides) and the amount of land needed for agriculture.

A bigger concern for me is that companies will try to create a captive market with strains of cereals that can only be grown in combination with their herbicides or pesticides, meaning farmers are forced to buy certain products and that those in poorer countries miss out. IMO it would be better if this area of research was more public sector-led (e.g. by universities or national agricultural agencies), which would mean it the new varieties could be patent-free or available at non-inflated prices. I think there is certainly a public interest argument for this, particularly in developing countries.

I think we are pretty much in agreement on this angle. It is unfortunate that company will seek to monopolise their engineered crops but that is the way of the commercially driven sector.

Perhaps golden rice, produced by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in a not-for-profit manner would be a good model to follow. I know it's not based around yield increases but the concept is essentially the same.

SB

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:59 - Aug 13 with 1286 viewsDubtractor

A picture from the IPCC report on 22:54 - Aug 13 by Clapham_Junction

To put that into perspective, the amount of animal manure used on farms is in the order of 100m tonnes.

However, I guess the 4 million tonnes could be increased significantly if all households and businesses had compostable waste collections and people actually put everything they could it.

No, it probably wouldn't be increased that dramatically to be honest, not compared to the animal manure figure anyway.

Maybe by 1 or 2 million tonnes at most from garden waste anyway, even though a lot of areas now charge for garden waste, the people that have bigger gardens tend to still pay for the service, and the people opting out have smaller gardens or live in flats.

More food could be collected, but that has a REALLY high water content and wouldn't actually create much compost. Plus the right thing to do for food is to stop people wasting it!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024