Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supermarket panic buying. 17:27 - Aug 27 with 5248 viewspimballwizard

I very much hope that this is just a fallout from the Bank Holiday but popped into town (Staines) this morning and noticed that some aisles had been emptied of "storable staples " Long life milk , tins of fruit/veg/ eggs !!/flour and a few more things with a longer shelf life than most . Mentioned this to a lady on the checkout and she reckoned that it had been manic over the weekend and was likely to get worse with Brexit panic buying. .*

Sure I read that one of the leading supermarkets were planning on a bit of rationing pre 31 October as smaller retailers would be treating the larger guys as wholesalers to ensure a regular supply. Also that the Italians and Germany would be slimming down FMCG,s across the channel just in case of a snarl up nearer to the Brexit date and not wishing to end up with unsaleable stuff rotting away on the M20.

Anybody got any thoughts or experiences of this ??

* Sainsburys.

Supermarket panic buying. on 17:58 - Aug 27 with 5120 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Staines innit!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:01 - Aug 27 with 5096 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well if it wasn't panic buying before her sales pitch sure is likely to make it so from now on.

Just logging off to visit every supermarket and buy all I can find.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:29 - Aug 27 with 5013 viewsBlueBadger

We were short on a fair few key emergency medications at *redacted* hospital back in March when it still appeared that a no-deal Brexit twas happening then. I fully expect it to be the same and to go for longer under the current bunch of reality-swerving incompetents.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:44 - Aug 27 with 4953 viewsTractorWood

Stocking up on things that have a massive shelf life seems pointless. To me the issue will be with perishables and maybe meat as the ports will be bottlenecked and the supply chain protracted, which overnight, will massively reduce the viability of perishables.

Can't believe we are pressing on with this madness against all reasonable logic.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:45 - Aug 27 with 4943 viewsfactual_blue

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:29 - Aug 27 by BlueBadger

We were short on a fair few key emergency medications at *redacted* hospital back in March when it still appeared that a no-deal Brexit twas happening then. I fully expect it to be the same and to go for longer under the current bunch of reality-swerving incompetents.

Is a reality swerve greater or smaller than a Glasgow Swerve?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:58 - Aug 27 with 4905 viewsBlueBadger

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:45 - Aug 27 by factual_blue

Is a reality swerve greater or smaller than a Glasgow Swerve?

Sometimes, they can be the same thing...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:05 - Aug 27 with 4888 viewshomer_123

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:44 - Aug 27 by TractorWood

Stocking up on things that have a massive shelf life seems pointless. To me the issue will be with perishables and maybe meat as the ports will be bottlenecked and the supply chain protracted, which overnight, will massively reduce the viability of perishables.

Can't believe we are pressing on with this madness against all reasonable logic.

You cant stock up on perishables...the clues in the name.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:09 - Aug 27 with 4875 viewsGaryCooper

I'd like to ask why were the stocks short on key emergency medications please?
Login to get fewer ads

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:29 - Aug 27 with 4820 viewsjeera

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:09 - Aug 27 by GaryCooper

Because Sainsbury's had sold out.

Do keep up.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:33 - Aug 27 with 4804 viewsBlueBadger

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:09 - Aug 27 by GaryCooper

Because people had been buying them.
What happened was they got used as usual, then there was none left.

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:42 - Aug 27 with 4780 viewslowhouseblue

so what's everyone planning to panic buy? it needs be something that can eaten / drunk uncooked when the gas and electricity fails. and which is calming when the predicted mental health crisis kicks in. and ideally has pain killing / antiseptic properties so it will make up for the lack of medicines. basically it's got to be imported booze hasn't it. but are glass bottles robust enough to survive once the civil unrest starts? decisions, decisions.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Supermarket panic buying. on 20:11 - Aug 27 with 4705 viewsSpruceMoose

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:42 - Aug 27 by lowhouseblue

so what's everyone planning to panic buy? it needs be something that can eaten / drunk uncooked when the gas and electricity fails. and which is calming when the predicted mental health crisis kicks in. and ideally has pain killing / antiseptic properties so it will make up for the lack of medicines. basically it's got to be imported booze hasn't it. but are glass bottles robust enough to survive once the civil unrest starts? decisions, decisions.

Baked beans.

A small rifle.

Snug underpants.

[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 20:12]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Supermarket panic buying. on 22:15 - Aug 27 with 4483 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:05 - Aug 27 by homer_123

You cant stock up on perishables...the clues in the name.

Do you mean filling my kitchen with fresh bread, milk and fruit was a mistake?

How long does the milk that didn't fit in the fridge last? It will only be a few days after 31 Oct I need it for won't it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Supermarket panic buying. on 23:44 - Aug 27 with 4396 viewsOldsmoker

I went to pick up my repeat scrip last week. There were 2 drugs that they gave me half of what was on the scrip. They said they would text me when the shortfall was in so I could collect. I dropped in on the off chance today and they said no text because no drugs. They had received some drugs but they had gone to other people who had had a shortfall before me. There were others in the queue that said the same had happened to them.
It seems that these shortages have been going on for about a month now.
It's a local pharmacy and the woman behind the till says that the big pharmacy chains may have used their muscle to overstock before Brexit leaving the small pharmacies like them at a disadvantage.
No problem - I'll just switch to one of the big boys so I don't go without and gamble that the local pharmacy don't go to the wall.
Market forces - dontcha just hate them.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Supermarket panic buying. on 00:21 - Aug 28 with 4363 viewsMVBlue

Supermarket panic buying. on 18:44 - Aug 27 by TractorWood

Meat that can be frozen is on my list. Another thing I’m thinking over, is food made from multiple sources, often not listed as EU supplied. So pizzas, sandwhich filling, battered or breaded fish, stuffed pasta, easy cook meals like curries, marinated meats. Things like that. How much flour comes from abroad for our bread? Things like that where there’s a supply chain. It’ll soon be an issue, with modern JIT stocking, issues will quickly arrive. Elsewhere on paddy power I found the betting odds politics section which contained many rationing odds including petrol at 5/1 after Brexit.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Supermarket panic buying. on 00:26 - Aug 28 with 4352 viewsOldsmoker

Supermarket panic buying. on 00:21 - Aug 28 by MVBlue

Meat that can be frozen is on my list. Another thing I’m thinking over, is food made from multiple sources, often not listed as EU supplied. So pizzas, sandwhich filling, battered or breaded fish, stuffed pasta, easy cook meals like curries, marinated meats. Things like that. How much flour comes from abroad for our bread? Things like that where there’s a supply chain. It’ll soon be an issue, with modern JIT stocking, issues will quickly arrive. Elsewhere on paddy power I found the betting odds politics section which contained many rationing odds including petrol at 5/1 after Brexit.

A petrol siphoning kit is high on my list - not that I would (tell anyone).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Supermarket panic buying. on 00:35 - Aug 28 with 4337 viewsJ2BLUE

Supermarket panic buying. on 23:44 - Aug 27 by Oldsmoker

I went to pick up my repeat scrip last week. There were 2 drugs that they gave me half of what was on the scrip. They said they would text me when the shortfall was in so I could collect. I dropped in on the off chance today and they said no text because no drugs. They had received some drugs but they had gone to other people who had had a shortfall before me. There were others in the queue that said the same had happened to them.
It seems that these shortages have been going on for about a month now.
It's a local pharmacy and the woman behind the till says that the big pharmacy chains may have used their muscle to overstock before Brexit leaving the small pharmacies like them at a disadvantage.
No problem - I'll just switch to one of the big boys so I don't go without and gamble that the local pharmacy don't go to the wall.
Market forces - dontcha just hate them.

I strongly recommend signing up to https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/

They deliver your prescription to your door for free and have a much larger stash of medicines than individual pharmacies. Prescriptions are delivered from a large warehouse so I guess they keep plenty in and would be an even better bet than the supermarkets.

They also get paid less by the NHS per item so you save the NHS some money.

They even deal with getting your prescription from your doctor each time you need a refill. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch but it sounds like people could use the info if this is going to become a more frequent problem.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Supermarket panic buying. on 06:57 - Aug 28 with 4217 viewsGaryCooper

Supermarket panic buying. on 19:33 - Aug 27 by BlueBadger

Because people had been buying them.
What happened was they got used as usual, then there was none left.

Ok, thanks.
Supermarket panic buying. on 15:58 - Aug 28 with 4000 viewsNaylorsboots

Panic buying only causes the problem. There is no problem at the minute. So, news items come out like your message and then causes a problem that isnt there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024