Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit Q Part II. I know... 09:21 - Sep 8 with 790 viewsartsbossbeard

So, we get royal ascension tomorrow BUT does this mean that JC must play ball and agree to an election? Can he hold off 'til they all quit.

Genuine question, I don't know the answer.

Thanks in advance.

ABB

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:35 - Sep 8 with 738 viewssolemio

Probably assent rather than ascension, although I suppose Madge may ascend into heaven.

Madge the Queen that is.
Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:36 - Sep 8 with 744 viewsGuthrum

Under Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, in order to trigger a General Election before the 5-year term is up, a two-thirds majority of all MPs (not just those taking part in the vote) must be achieved. 433 votes in favour, in other words.

Johnson's Conservatives cannot do that on their own, would need the help of at least some opposition MPs. If and when such assistance might be given is entirely up to the opposition parties and their MPs.

Given they don't trust Johnson not to try changing the date of the election after it has been voted for, or by some other procedural shenanigans use it to avoid asking for an extension on Oct 19th, the other parties are fairly united in wanting to wait until an extension has not just been legally mandated (as it will be on Monday), but actually secured.

That does have the added tactical benefit of giving the government more time to fall apart and for Johnson to fail to secure the deal he's saying he can get (or possibly to present something more moderate which the Commons could conceivably vote for, maybe a rewritten and rebadged version of the May deal).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:42 - Sep 8 with 726 viewsGuthrum

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:36 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

Under Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, in order to trigger a General Election before the 5-year term is up, a two-thirds majority of all MPs (not just those taking part in the vote) must be achieved. 433 votes in favour, in other words.

Johnson's Conservatives cannot do that on their own, would need the help of at least some opposition MPs. If and when such assistance might be given is entirely up to the opposition parties and their MPs.

Given they don't trust Johnson not to try changing the date of the election after it has been voted for, or by some other procedural shenanigans use it to avoid asking for an extension on Oct 19th, the other parties are fairly united in wanting to wait until an extension has not just been legally mandated (as it will be on Monday), but actually secured.

That does have the added tactical benefit of giving the government more time to fall apart and for Johnson to fail to secure the deal he's saying he can get (or possibly to present something more moderate which the Commons could conceivably vote for, maybe a rewritten and rebadged version of the May deal).

It could also be done via a simple majority in a Vote of No Confidence (tho that process is somewhat more complicated), or by amending or repealing the FTPA2011. Currently the Government does not have the majority in the Commons to do either on their own (even including the DUP).

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:56 - Sep 8 with 684 viewsartsbossbeard

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:35 - Sep 8 by solemio

Probably assent rather than ascension, although I suppose Madge may ascend into heaven.

Madge the Queen that is.

Gah! I blame the lack of coffee.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:57 - Sep 8 with 676 viewsartsbossbeard

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:42 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

It could also be done via a simple majority in a Vote of No Confidence (tho that process is somewhat more complicated), or by amending or repealing the FTPA2011. Currently the Government does not have the majority in the Commons to do either on their own (even including the DUP).

Thank you.

So, no commitment to the process and the ability to watch it all implode from the sidelines.

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:58 - Sep 8 with 666 viewssolemio

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:56 - Sep 8 by artsbossbeard

Gah! I blame the lack of coffee.

We've all been there - some of us every day!
Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 10:00 - Sep 8 with 664 viewsGuthrum

Brexit Q Part II. I know... on 09:57 - Sep 8 by artsbossbeard

Thank you.

So, no commitment to the process and the ability to watch it all implode from the sidelines.

Yep. The opposition parties hold all the cards on timing of a GE. The Government's own fault for going with an aggressive approach, rather than keeping their party together and trying to carry others with them.

Johnson's only hope now is to find and present some kind of reasonably acceptable deal. Something which, by the sounds of it, he hasn't been trying particularly hard to set up.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 10:02]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024