Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Beat 09:46 - Sep 6 with 13490 viewsBlueinBrum

Could one of you old codgers who remembers seeing the Beat in his pomp give some insight into what it was that made him such a special player?

For me having never had the pleasure of watching the truly great ITFC teams (other than some highlight reels), it can be hard to visualise exactly what was so impressive about certain individuals.

What made him stand out? Who would you liken his playing style to him from the modern day game?
The Beat on 09:53 - Sep 6 with 7380 viewshomer_123

Where to start?

Pace, strength, loved a tackle, read the game well, comfortable with the ball at his feet, could pass it and had a more than a decent shot on him.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The Beat on 09:59 - Sep 6 with 7354 viewsOwainG1992

The Beat on 09:53 - Sep 6 by homer_123

Where to start?

Pace, strength, loved a tackle, read the game well, comfortable with the ball at his feet, could pass it and had a more than a decent shot on him.

Could you describe somebody who reminds you of him?
I have been watching football since 1998.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

The Beat on 10:05 - Sep 6 with 7333 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Beat on 09:59 - Sep 6 by OwainG1992

I'm struggling to think of a modern analogy. You'd need to think of a big, imposing defender who looked indistinguishable from an attacker when he went forward. Not too many of those around. Think Richard Naylor x100.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Beat on 10:06 - Sep 6 with 7323 viewsBeckets

The Beat on 10:05 - Sep 6 by Swansea_Blue

I'm struggling to think of a modern analogy. You'd need to think of a big, imposing defender who looked indistinguishable from an attacker when he went forward. Not too many of those around. Think Richard Naylor x100.

Ramos x 20
The Beat on 10:08 - Sep 6 with 7314 viewsBarcaBlue

The Beat on 09:59 - Sep 6 by OwainG1992

The closest I've seen stylewise was Carles Puyol at Barça although I would say Beattie was quicker and more of a goal threat
The Beat on 10:09 - Sep 6 with 7303 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Beat on 10:06 - Sep 6 by Beckets

Ramos x 20

And stronger. Ramos spliced onto the body of someone like Zouma.

The Beat on 10:10 - Sep 6 with 7302 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think what we're trying to say is that he was essentially a god of a footballer.

The Beat on 10:14 - Sep 6 with 7281 viewsBeckets

The Beat on 10:10 - Sep 6 by Swansea_Blue

I think what we're trying to say is that he was essentially a god of a footballer.

Best defender I’ve ever seen for any team let alone us. God of a footballer is an accurate description.
Login to get fewer ads

The Beat on 10:19 - Sep 6 with 7242 viewsElephantintheRoom

Closest modern analogy is probably Teddy Bishop in terms of injury versus career opportunities. Beattie was a superb player whose career petered out due to injury and 'personal issues' he was great until he was 21 (today's hype about Downes puts that into perspective - Beattie was the best in his position in the top division at 18) . He was kept out of the England team by Colin Todd who was hardly an imposing legend and his very few England appearances were at left back instead of, ahem, Mick Mills. 1975 probably sums him up perfectly. Injured in the cup semi final (after being injured in earlier rounds) and absent from the crucial replay after Whymark had to replace him early in the first semi at Villa Park. Storming goal in the meaningless later home win against West Ham 4-1 which is one of the greatest goals you could wish to see.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The Beat on 10:24 - Sep 6 with 7221 viewsitfcjoe

Been lucky enough to hear his former team mates talk about him - and they nicknamed him 'Monster'.

On the pitch they all just say he was the best at everything int he squad, the quickest player, the best passer, the most powerful shot, the strongest, the highest leap etc.

Only going from what I've heard so maybe not what you are looking for, but sounds as though he was similar to Wayne Rooney in that he was a 'man' at 16/17 and had that stature when he broke through into the team.

A few have said that it all came too easy to him, so when he needed to be more discipined later in career with injury and rehab he didn't have it in him to do so as had never needed to do so. Also Mariner esepcially felt that the physio's mistreated him trying to make a name for himself in getting him back early. Guess his knees were like Ledley King by the end, where he would just get wheeled out for the big games and barely trained.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Beat on 10:32 - Sep 6 with 7175 viewsGavTWTD

Why didn't he play more for england? Who was in the squad at the time?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

The Beat on 10:54 - Sep 6 with 7101 viewsmonty_radio

I posted this recently on another thread regarding him:

The phrase "a force of nature" comes to mind. To witness Beattie sweeping across to make an interception that immediately turned into a storming run as sundry opponents bounced off left and right - and to do it regularly; to see a late run into the area and watch as he towered feet and inches and flying mane above everyone; to catch the unrepeatable: goals from inside his own half, headed goals from outside the area - and all with giant's stride and smile - "there's only one ....", was never sung with more truth and appreciation.

As to Gav's query, injuries and playing him at left back to accommodate Norman Hunter, who had played for Revie at Leeds, combined to restrict his Englsnd apps.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The Beat on 11:01 - Sep 6 with 7055 viewsDeano69

Name an attribute required for ANY player on the pitch - yeah, he had it

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

The Beat on 11:04 - Sep 6 with 7055 viewsHeathlander

I was lucky enough to start watching the town in 1974. So for the first 8 years or so Ipswich were one of the best teams in the country and then in Europe.

Kevin Beattie was just a phenomenon. He was lightning quick, he could jump higher than new Ronaldo, he had a harder shot than anyone in today's game, he was as brave as a Tony Adams or John Terry, he could tackle and also he would be able to play from the back like a Harry Maguire. He could also pass the ball like Steven Gerrard. He was a Frankenstein footballer. All the best skills of all the greats mixed into one. He really was that Good. Unfortunately he had a bit of 'Gazza' about him too. Daft as a brush. But also a lovely bloke.

He would be the world record holder transfer fee for a defender if he played now at his peak and would be playing for Barca or real Madrid. He should have played over a 100 times for England. But injuries stopped that. He was a footballing God.

Hopefully that helps youo envisage what he was like.
The Beat on 11:15 - Sep 6 with 7012 viewsChurchman

Where to start?

In addition he had presence. When he came out with the ball, went into a tackle or headed the ball out you could feel everyone in the crowd lift. You could see the opposite on opponents faces.

These were the days of some really fierce footballers. People like the Leeds players, Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris, Souness, Giles. People who would trample all over you. Every team had them along with plenty of brutal forwards, many of whom could give as good as they got (including Paul Mariner despite his appearance). They tended to avoid Beattie or regret the encounter. He was imposing to look at and must have been a nightmare to play against. He had the perfect partner in Allan Hunter too, who in his prime was as good a centre half as any. In the FA Cup Final they ate Malcom McDonald and Frank Stapleton alive.

I can’t think of anyone quite like Kevin Beattie. At that time he was always compared to Duncan Edwards, but of course there is little footage of him and the people that said that are just about gone now. Just think of the best defenders you can think of for the qualities in Homer’s description and add stardust!

If he was playing today in his prime he would be the most valuable defender in the world. I was privileged to see him play.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 11:18]
The Beat on 11:27 - Sep 6 with 6971 viewsPJH

The Beat on 10:32 - Sep 6 by GavTWTD

Why didn't he play more for england? Who was in the squad at the time?

Injuries-it did not matter who was in the squad at the time because The Beat would have been better than any of them.
His low (9) number of caps was nothing to do with someone being ahead of him but purely down to injuries and if he had had a relatively injury free career he would have topped 100 caps.
The Beat on 11:29 - Sep 6 with 6959 viewsPJH

Where to start?

Plus brilliant in the air, the complete footballer in other words although I am not too sure about his goalkeeping capabilities -but he might well even have been good in goal.
The Beat on 11:37 - Sep 6 with 6928 viewsMookamoo

The Beat on 10:06 - Sep 6 by Beckets

Ramos x 20

The closest modern player I think is Virgil van Dijk. He has Beattie's strength and self assurance on the ball. Plus he makes those runs like Beattie did, maybe once every half, where he just carries the ball at the opposition and dares them to get in the way.

That is the Beattie I remember - the whole of Portman Road holding their breath as he took off on a solo charge.
The Beat on 11:54 - Sep 6 with 6873 viewsWeWereZombies

The Beat on 11:15 - Sep 6 by Churchman

In addition he had presence. When he came out with the ball, went into a tackle or headed the ball out you could feel everyone in the crowd lift. You could see the opposite on opponents faces.

These were the days of some really fierce footballers. People like the Leeds players, Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris, Souness, Giles. People who would trample all over you. Every team had them along with plenty of brutal forwards, many of whom could give as good as they got (including Paul Mariner despite his appearance). They tended to avoid Beattie or regret the encounter. He was imposing to look at and must have been a nightmare to play against. He had the perfect partner in Allan Hunter too, who in his prime was as good a centre half as any. In the FA Cup Final they ate Malcom McDonald and Frank Stapleton alive.

I can’t think of anyone quite like Kevin Beattie. At that time he was always compared to Duncan Edwards, but of course there is little footage of him and the people that said that are just about gone now. Just think of the best defenders you can think of for the qualities in Homer’s description and add stardust!

If he was playing today in his prime he would be the most valuable defender in the world. I was privileged to see him play.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 11:18]

Agree with all of that except Johnny Giles as someone who would trample all over you, he was much more quiet and cunning.

To add to what has already said Beattie was a team player, he knew his place and kept to position - except when the pitch opened up to him and he set off on one of those unstoppable runs. And he did not have to go at breakneck speed, there was something almost stately in his progress, he had the ball and for a few minutes he reigned.

Not a perfect comparison but Gareth Bale may be the nearest to a complete and outstanding footballer in recent years.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Beat on 11:57 - Sep 6 with 6865 viewsmanchego

I remember at the time saying that he was routinely the best player on the pitch from either side.
He was also our best midfield player and forward - if he decided to play there.
The Beat on 11:58 - Sep 6 with 6862 viewssolemio

What a lovely thread so far.

He really was as good as everyone has said.
Yes, brilliant in the air without elbows everywhere.
The Beat on 12:04 - Sep 6 with 6843 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Does it help to start by me saying he was better than Van Dijk in EVERY defensive department?

Arguably better than Gerrard in every midfield department.

As someone said he was a Frankenstein footballer. If you'd picked the best bits from every footballer going that's who you'd have made, aside from the finishing of a world class striker.

He was just better at everything than everyone. It was just astonishing to watch.

If Superman had played football in the same era, he'd have been the second name on our team sheet.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The Beat on 12:24 - Sep 6 with 6779 viewsMookamoo

Also worth mentioning how he was everywhere when we were defending, the first to step out of the back and break up attacks, the last man when needed to make a last ditch tackle (and put their number 10 into a Ransomes hoarding for good measure).

Despite carrying the ball forward, he never seemed to be out of position. That might not be giving enough credit to the likes of Hunter, Mills, Osborne and later McCall to fill in the gaps.
The Beat on 12:25 - Sep 6 with 6777 viewsBlueNomad

If you never saw him then you will not have seen anyone to compare. Quite simply he is, to me, THE greatest and we were so fortunate that he played for us.

I did try to draw comparisons with modern day players, around whom there is usually so much hype, but none of them possess the all-round talent and strength that he did.
The Beat on 12:29 - Sep 6 with 6743 viewstrncbluearmy

All the above plus his enthusiasm was infectious but the closest I have seen in the modern game was one of our own, for a brief period with the errors cut out, Titus Bramble was getting there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024