Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Declan Rice 09:00 - Sep 11 with 4394 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Is he really that good??

I don't see it personally.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Declan Rice on 09:01 - Sep 11 with 4104 viewsBigManBlue

I'm with you - he doesn't look bad by any stretch, but I think a couple of good performances close together last season saw him unnecessarily hyped up to world-beater level.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Declan Rice on 09:08 - Sep 11 with 4071 viewsiamipswich

Agree with both posts above. He's by no means a bad player, but all of the hype would have you believe he's a world class Centre Midfielder. Merits his place in the West Ham and possibly England starting XI but not one of the players I'd be raving about looking to the future.

Poll: Who will return first?

Declan Rice on 09:09 - Sep 11 with 4064 viewsMrTown

Don't really see a world class footballer, just a good footballer.

Is there a huge difference between him and Dier?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Declan Rice on 09:10 - Sep 11 with 4052 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Declan Rice on 09:08 - Sep 11 by iamipswich

Agree with both posts above. He's by no means a bad player, but all of the hype would have you believe he's a world class Centre Midfielder. Merits his place in the West Ham and possibly England starting XI but not one of the players I'd be raving about looking to the future.

I don't think he is needed in the England centre midfield??

Henderson does his job, just better.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Declan Rice on 09:12 - Sep 11 with 4043 viewsBigManBlue

Declan Rice on 09:10 - Sep 11 by TRUE_BLUE123

I don't think he is needed in the England centre midfield??

Henderson does his job, just better.

I think a midfield trio of Henderson, Winks and Maddison would have decent balance - you're right that the two of them would probably hinder us getting forward as quickly as we want to.

Declan Rice on 09:13 - Sep 11 with 4036 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Declan Rice on 09:12 - Sep 11 by BigManBlue

I think a midfield trio of Henderson, Winks and Maddison would have decent balance - you're right that the two of them would probably hinder us getting forward as quickly as we want to.

That would be my 3 as well.

Declan Rice on 09:31 - Sep 11 with 3977 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's only 20 remember. Same age as Dozzell who's someone we see for the future, but playing in the PL.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Declan Rice on 09:33 - Sep 11 with 3966 viewsHalf_Idiot

Did Maddison get any minutes over the last 2 games?

I tend not to follow England games as they're utterly boring to watch unless it's in a competition.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 9:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Declan Rice on 09:35 - Sep 11 with 3960 viewsJakeITFC

I have a theory that players in his position can be pretty close to their peak (in that the role requires excellent mental attributes alongside fairly normal technicals) at a young age and are therefore treated as better than they are because people see a lot of upside potential (which then doesn’t materialise).

See Eric Dier/Luke Hyam.
Declan Rice on 09:36 - Sep 11 with 3953 viewsOsborneOneNil

Declan Rice on 09:33 - Sep 11 by Half_Idiot

I tend not to follow England games as they're utterly boring to watch unless it's in a competition.

Nope. I went to the game last night and hoped to see him feature.

Agree on Rice too, he’s ok. Wouldn’t have both Rice and Hendo in the same team either.
Declan Rice on 09:38 - Sep 11 with 3941 viewsBigManBlue

Declan Rice on 09:33 - Sep 11 by Half_Idiot

I didn't see Bulgaria, but it was Mount and Rashford who came on at the end last night.

Edit - no, he didn't play in either.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 9:41]

Declan Rice on 09:44 - Sep 11 with 3917 viewsitfcjoe

He needs to move to a biggger and better team that is expected to win most weeks - such a different game at West Ham when under a lot of pressure and can play the game on instinct in the main part.

He's obviously very good, but too often when playing for England he looks like a CB playing in midfield

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Declan Rice on 09:53 - Sep 11 with 3884 viewsHalf_Idiot

Declan Rice on 09:38 - Sep 11 by BigManBlue

I didn't see Bulgaria, but it was Mount and Rashford who came on at the end last night.

Edit - no, he didn't play in either.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 9:41]

That's disappointing. I think he'd be quite handy in a midfield 3 alongside Henderson.
Declan Rice on 10:04 - Sep 11 with 3853 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Declan Rice on 09:35 - Sep 11 by JakeITFC

I have a theory that players in his position can be pretty close to their peak (in that the role requires excellent mental attributes alongside fairly normal technicals) at a young age and are therefore treated as better than they are because people see a lot of upside potential (which then doesn’t materialise).

See Eric Dier/Luke Hyam.

Don’t rate Dier at all and never have done. I didn’t understand the hype for Hyam either - clearly a very limited player who put himself about a bit which seemed to blind side many.

Amazes me that amongst many of my friends they were saying things like Hyam will go to the Premier League and then have barely acknowledged Downes until the last month or so. Downes is obviously a decent footballer.

See also Webster.
Declan Rice on 10:31 - Sep 11 with 3783 viewstheinbetweener

I'm not particularly convinced by Winks myself. I think he's another one that's been over hyped very quickly just because he's English and got a few minutes for Spurs. What type of midfielder is he?

I agree with others saying we shouldn't be playing BOTH Henderson & Rice - One or the other for me. The other two IMO should be Maddison and Oxlade (once fully fit).
Declan Rice on 10:35 - Sep 11 with 3767 viewswkj

I certainly don't think that looked any better than Tyrone Mings did last night

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Declan Rice on 10:38 - Sep 11 with 3755 viewssuffolkpoker

He is no Flynn Downes!

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Declan Rice on 10:52 - Sep 11 with 3720 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Declan Rice on 11:52 - Sep 11 with 3636 viewsmidastouch

I saw him outside Portman Road in the car park after the West Ham friendly (he walked over to get into a waiting black 4x4), as hung around for a while after the match to get my lad a Town shirt printed in Planet Blue. I was with my mate who is a Hammer and his son (I dropped them off before the game and they went in with the Hammers and we went and sat in the stand opposite). My mate went up to him to have a chat and he was ever so approachable and was especially nice to the children. Declan seemed a really good chap and I'd like to see him have a really successful career.
As for on the pitch, he has definitely improved. He had a very good game against Arsenal last season as we listened to that on the radio for a game we were driving down to watch at Portman Road. Might of been the Rotherham game. Not sure he's worth as much as that but he's definitely turned some heads with his performances over the last year. When you consider he didn't even get into the West Ham team for the friendly against us he's definitely kicked on a lot since then. It's hard to judge anything now based on the crazy transfer fees reported as it really is silly season in the transfer market. Surely the bubble has to burst somewhere down the line!

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Declan Rice on 12:13 - Sep 11 with 3579 viewschicoazul

I think he's pretty good, although I dont think he is as good yet as Henderson in that role. He didnt play well last night but there were several that had a shocker - him Trent Barkley Maguire the worst culprits. Kosovo are very slick but are a typical eastern European team; great control and passing, one paced, physically powerful, lose their rag & concede plenty.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Declan Rice on 19:42 - Sep 11 with 3329 viewsTerry_Nutkins

He's 20. Loads of potential. Another in a role that is never going to get fans off their feet. He does all the dirty jobs that managers appreciate more than fans (see Skuse). Doesnt excite me but a good player.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Declan Rice on 06:42 - Sep 12 with 3109 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Declan Rice on 10:38 - Sep 11 by suffolkpoker

He is no Flynn Downes!

Poxy West Ham fan on my floor in halls last year spent the whole year telling us all how Rice is the best young player in the premier league and other such nonsense. A personal highlight was when he claimed West Ham played better football than Arsenal. To which my Arsenal supporting mate ruined his argument in about 30 seconds. Never did like the West Ham fan. The tosser once asked me for a couple of horses one afternoon, I gave him a winner and a loser and he blo0dy moaned! Two 7/2 shots. I could’ve head butted him.

Back in Romford this summer and everyone round here has been saying how brilliant Rice is. He’s absolutely loved by all of them. So I can’t wait for West Ham to sell him and they pretend he’s overrated like they did with Payet and Arnautovic.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Declan Rice on 07:00 - Sep 12 with 3094 viewsKropotkin123

I think think it is unfair reconsider Rice in isolation. If you had a young and fresh Currie alongside him, his worth would be more obvious

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Declan Rice on 07:09 - Sep 12 with 3084 viewsWeWereZombies

Declan Rice on 07:00 - Sep 12 by Kropotkin123

I think think it is unfair reconsider Rice in isolation. If you had a young and fresh Currie alongside him, his worth would be more obvious

You are just annoyed at the rest of the thread and taking a pop a' dem, got a chipati on your shoulder?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Declan Rice on 09:22 - Sep 12 with 2977 viewsElephantintheRoom

Declan Rice on 09:36 - Sep 11 by OsborneOneNil

Nope. I went to the game last night and hoped to see him feature.

Agree on Rice too, he’s ok. Wouldn’t have both Rice and Hendo in the same team either.

5-3 full time and 5-1 by half time doesn't quite cut it for you then?

Bearing in mind Kosovo look quite good and their superstar player is Celina, it sort of proves that you don't actually have to be that good to play international football to quite a high standard. Even Bontcho Guenchev got to play in a world cup semi.

He plays for Chelsea and he's young. 2 games and straight into the England team is the current, fashionable mantra. Why not quietly enjoy that there is the core of a decent team developing? Makes a change to see players apparently enjoying playing for their country with a bit of pride.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024