Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham v Colchester Utd 22:14 - Sep 20 with 1816 viewssolemio

I seem to remember that for some reason the Gills and Colchester used to be at daggers drawn, but I can't for the life of me remember why.

Anyone know anything about this?

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 22:57 - Sep 20 with 1738 viewsFifeITFC

I seem to remember this. Col U seemed to have a big rivalry with a few teams at a similar time like Barnet and Wycombe, but these stemmed from the Conference title battle days.

Definitely remember Gillingham being a rival, but likewise, not sure why. Don't think the Gills went non League at any point in the 80s/90s?

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 00:10 - Sep 21 with 1653 viewsIllinoisblue

I thought it was Exeter Col U had issues with. After some flag stealing nonsense back in the Layer Road days

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 09:12 - Sep 21 with 1447 viewssolemio

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 22:57 - Sep 20 by FifeITFC

I seem to remember this. Col U seemed to have a big rivalry with a few teams at a similar time like Barnet and Wycombe, but these stemmed from the Conference title battle days.

Definitely remember Gillingham being a rival, but likewise, not sure why. Don't think the Gills went non League at any point in the 80s/90s?

Yes, I think you may be right, Fife. It may have been as simple as a few really hard close matches leading to quite a rivalry over a period of years.
Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 11:29 - Sep 21 with 1352 viewsFifeITFC

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 09:12 - Sep 21 by solemio

Yes, I think you may be right, Fife. It may have been as simple as a few really hard close matches leading to quite a rivalry over a period of years.

As absurd as it may sound, it may have also been because they were one of their most closest geographical neighbours in the division that they'd play regularly.

With us, Norwich, Southend (at that time) etc regularly playing at a higher division, Gillingham could have been more closest opponents that they'd face most often? But I have a feeling it may link back to a certain game or event.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 11:46 - Sep 21 with 1325 viewsbournemouthblue

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 22:57 - Sep 20 by FifeITFC

Wycombe are definitely a side they still don't like

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 11:56 - Sep 21 with 1315 viewscolly

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 11:46 - Sep 21 by bournemouthblue

Wycombe are definitely a side they still don't like

We h8 Wycombe Wanderers ..... OFFICIAL.

Longstanding rivalry going back to the days when we were challenging each other to get into the football league.

The End are number three (apparently.)

Guess who is second?
[Post edited 21 Sep 2019 12:03]
Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 12:36 - Sep 21 with 1268 viewsWD19

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 11:56 - Sep 21 by colly

We h8 Wycombe Wanderers ..... OFFICIAL.

Longstanding rivalry going back to the days when we were challenging each other to get into the football league.

The End are number three (apparently.)

Guess who is second?
[Post edited 21 Sep 2019 12:03]

I dunno. Another regional peer like St Albans City!?
Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 17:47 - Sep 21 with 1150 viewssolemio

Gillingham v Colchester Utd on 12:36 - Sep 21 by WD19

I dunno. Another regional peer like St Albans City!?

Don't mention St Albans City - my local club these days! They have been truly dreadful this season. I don't know how much longer they can stick with their manager, ex-Arsenal and Col U player and former manager of the mighty Barton Rovers in Bedfordshire.

Of whom do I speak? Who knows without googling? Who cares!!

Mind you I haven't looked at today's results.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024