Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst footballing genius 15:54 - Oct 6 with 4931 viewsBackToRussia

Seems as though he didn't rate Daniel James either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49925099

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:01 - Oct 6 with 4554 viewsTheBoyBlue

Although to be fair Shrewsbury coped OK without him. And Daniel James has only appeared to blossomed relatively recently.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:19 - Oct 6 with 4516 viewspennblue

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:01 - Oct 6 by TheBoyBlue

Although to be fair Shrewsbury coped OK without him. And Daniel James has only appeared to blossomed relatively recently.

If you accept that Hurst never had the budget to compete properly in the Championship, it could be argued, that his purchases were ok.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 19:19]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:22 - Oct 6 with 4488 viewsDubtractor

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:19 - Oct 6 by pennblue

If you accept that Hurst never had the budget to compete properly in the Championship, it could be argued, that his purchases were ok.

No it couldn't.

He had a more generous budget than McCarthy and used it far less well.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:26 - Oct 6 with 4455 viewsTheBoyBlue

Ironically his purchases are serving us well this season now we're a division below.

If he'd supplemented his purchases (either by buying some in or keeping hold of Waghorn and/or Webster - though I appreciate that may have been out of his hands) with some more experience we'd have had a decent team.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:32 - Oct 6 with 4410 viewsBlueBadger

The only Town manager to use a budget less wisely than Hurst was Keane.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:07 - Oct 6 with 4188 viewsbraveblue

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:22 - Oct 6 by Dubtractor

No it couldn't.

He had a more generous budget than McCarthy and used it far less well.

During his first transfer window we made about £5m net. Not much of a budget!!

Not a fan of Hurst but we need to be fair. Some of his incoming transfers are starting to look good.
Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:12 - Oct 6 with 4169 viewsMullet

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:26 - Oct 6 by TheBoyBlue

Ironically his purchases are serving us well this season now we're a division below.

If he'd supplemented his purchases (either by buying some in or keeping hold of Waghorn and/or Webster - though I appreciate that may have been out of his hands) with some more experience we'd have had a decent team.

Hmmmmm

Donacien, Toto, Edwards, Nolan, Jackson probably sit in order of usefulness. Imagine how useful they'd be had he utilised Nydam and Dozzell correctly, let alone not sold off anyone worth more than a bag of Maltesers for small change and a chance to buy someone for 8 times their value.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:14 - Oct 6 with 4161 viewsDubtractor

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:07 - Oct 6 by braveblue

Not a fan of Hurst but we need to be fair. Some of his incoming transfers are starting to look good.

I'm only interested in his transfers in in this context, for quite a lot of money (by our standards) he bought:

Nolan
Edwards
Nsiala
Donacien
Harrison
Jackson

Plus Roberts on a free and a host of mostly ineffective loads.

Of that lot Nolan and Jackson have started looking decent, the rest were miles short of championship standard.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:32 - Oct 6 with 4101 viewsMelford

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 19:32 - Oct 6 by BlueBadger

The only Town manager to use a budget less wisely than Hurst was Keane.

Whenever a manager of ours has money to spend it generally goes tits up. Burley didn't spend well, neither did Jim when Marcus gave him bundles of cash when he first came in, Keane was by far the worst though. This bit of Wikipedia sums it up

Martin joined Ipswich Town on 6 July 2009 for an undisclosed fee thought to be around £1.5 million, signing a four-year contract with the club managed by former Manchester United captain Roy Keane

Martin was one of eight players made available for transfer by manager Roy Keane at the end of the 2009—10 season.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 22:37 - Oct 6 with 3959 viewswkj

His signings look good at this level, and they might improve to championship quality, but we were a team trying to grow out of mid table championship finishes, none of the players were good enough for that. The fact he let KVY slip through the cracks, yet he seems more likely to succeed in the Championship than any of Hursts signings speak volumes.

While his signings might eventually come good, it was simply poor vision on his part to expect them to make an immediate impact, which is what they were signed to do.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 23:41 - Oct 6 with 3839 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:32 - Oct 6 by Melford

Whenever a manager of ours has money to spend it generally goes tits up. Burley didn't spend well, neither did Jim when Marcus gave him bundles of cash when he first came in, Keane was by far the worst though. This bit of Wikipedia sums it up

Martin joined Ipswich Town on 6 July 2009 for an undisclosed fee thought to be around £1.5 million, signing a four-year contract with the club managed by former Manchester United captain Roy Keane

Martin was one of eight players made available for transfer by manager Roy Keane at the end of the 2009—10 season.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If there's one player who epitomises the lack of direction, supervision and attention detail of the ME era, it's Martin.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 23:45 - Oct 6 with 3821 viewsBlueBadger

'some of his transfers are starting to look good' isn't really the endorsement you think it is.

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 09:13 - Oct 7 with 3498 viewsStadiumofdark

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 23:45 - Oct 6 by BlueBadger

'some of his transfers are starting to look good' isn't really the endorsement you think it is.

He was trying to assemble a team that could have a good push for promotion from league 1.... the problem was obvious....
Paul Hurst footballing genius on 09:19 - Oct 7 with 3482 viewsMrTown

That falls at the first hurdle when he bought Donancien for 750k instead of KVY for a compensation fee

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 09:43 - Oct 7 with 3438 viewsPJH

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 23:45 - Oct 6 by BlueBadger

I think that they should be looking good now because they were and are good(ish) lower league players.
The problems last season were firstly that that was all they were and secondly there was too many of them.
Paul Hurst footballing genius on 13:04 - Oct 7 with 3208 viewsBiGDonnie

Disagree with that. Hurst wasted loads on players we didn't need who simply blocked the path to the first team for our yoots.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 13:22 - Oct 7 with 3129 viewshoppy

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 09:43 - Oct 7 by PJH

I think that they should be looking good now because they were and are good(ish) lower league players.
The problems last season were firstly that that was all they were and secondly there was too many of them.

But more importantly, at that point, we weren't a League One team ourselves, so he was assembling a team for League One, when it should've been putting together a Championship team...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 13:44 - Oct 7 with 3073 viewsMalcolmBlue

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 21:14 - Oct 6 by Dubtractor

I'm only interested in his transfers in in this context, for quite a lot of money (by our standards) he bought:

Nolan
Edwards
Nsiala
Donacien
Harrison
Jackson

Plus Roberts on a free and a host of mostly ineffective loads.

Of that lot Nolan and Jackson have started looking decent, the rest were miles short of championship standard.

I'm sure when Toto is up to match fitness he'll be in that category too, every time he played last season he seemed to get better and better and I don't think I've seen him miss a header.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 13:46 - Oct 7 with 3062 viewsPJH

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 13:22 - Oct 7 by hoppy

But more importantly, at that point, we weren't a League One team ourselves, so he was assembling a team for League One, when it should've been putting together a Championship team...

Yep, what was needed was a bit of building on what we already had along with keeping what we already had.
What actually happened, to quote Mr M. Python, was something completely different.
Paul Hurst footballing genius on 14:01 - Oct 7 with 3027 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If you view them individually in a bubble then maybe, but in one swoop he decimated a Championship core and relaxed them with a number of players who were not of the same quality, ending with us being relegated rock bottom of the table

In no way is his business starting to look ‘good’

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 14:49 - Oct 7 with 2949 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Hurst footballing genius on 13:44 - Oct 7 by MalcolmBlue

I'm sure when Toto is up to match fitness he'll be in that category too, every time he played last season he seemed to get better and better and I don't think I've seen him miss a header.

...loose balls, tackles and runners however....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024