Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick's pragmatism 11:20 - Oct 13 with 9324 viewsKeaneish

Did he shoot himself in the foot yesterday accepting a draw at Georgia? They now need a win from either of their last two games. Don't fancy them away at Switzerland and a draw isn't much use which could see it go to the final game against Denmark.

Georgia were poor yesterday as we're ROI but there was little in the Irish performance to say Mick went for the 3 points to all but guarantee a place in the Euros. It was another "nowt bad as an away point" display but is it enough?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick's pragmatism on 11:25 - Oct 13 with 6349 viewsclive_baker

He’s getting a lot of stick from Ireland fans for his approach. They were awful.

#BCWYWF

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mick's pragmatism on 11:30 - Oct 13 with 6336 viewsKeaneish

Mick's pragmatism on 11:25 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

He’s getting a lot of stick from Ireland fans for his approach. They were awful.

#BCWYWF

I had a 20 minute doze after the 60 minute mark when I realised he had no ambition to change the game. All too obvious but a nice reality check from what we had to the philosophy at the club now.

#BCWYWF indeed

Mick's pragmatism on 11:41 - Oct 13 with 6290 viewsCoco

Mick's pragmatism on 11:30 - Oct 13 by Keaneish

I had a 20 minute doze after the 60 minute mark when I realised he had no ambition to change the game. All too obvious but a nice reality check from what we had to the philosophy at the club now.

#BCWYWF indeed

Hate or loathe him, this was Roy Keanes gripe with him 17 years ago

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Mick's pragmatism on 11:48 - Oct 13 with 6281 viewsJakeITFC

Very little quality in that Ireland squad, I think they are probably better suited to nicking a result against the Swiss or Danes than dominating a game v Georgia.

It was hard to watch yesterday, horrible memories of our midfield just hacking the ball forward on the first touch without looking, aimless balls down from the full backs and making rubbish opponents look good.
Mick's pragmatism on 12:02 - Oct 13 with 6242 viewsJ2BLUE

I read on BBC how he was happy with the point. Massive shock there.

Frankly, I miss him less with each day. I find myself pointing out things he does with Ireland and saying 'see? that's what he did with us! That's why so many agreed it was time for him to go!'. They had no idea.

He is clearly an excellent man manager. He could achieve more by taking a slightly more attacking approach in games like yesterday or here at home to Hull/Rotherham. I don't think they will qualify now and they'll be no one else to blame. They might still qualify but it's hard to believe the masterplan was to leave themselves needing a win against Denmark or Switzerland.

If Switzerland beat them it doesn't look like a win against Denmark will seal it for them?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick's pragmatism on 12:28 - Oct 13 with 6174 viewsTractorCam

Mick's pragmatism on 12:02 - Oct 13 by J2BLUE

Frankly, I miss him less with each day. I find myself pointing out things he does with Ireland and saying 'see? that's what he did with us! That's why so many agreed it was time for him to go!'. They had no idea.

He is clearly an excellent man manager. He could achieve more by taking a slightly more attacking approach in games like yesterday or here at home to Hull/Rotherham. I don't think they will qualify now and they'll be no one else to blame. They might still qualify but it's hard to believe the masterplan was to leave themselves needing a win against Denmark or Switzerland.

If Switzerland beat them it doesn't look like a win against Denmark will seal it for them?

And then a nice desk slam "i'm outta here" in the press conference.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Mick's pragmatism on 12:50 - Oct 13 with 6115 viewsJohnny_Boy

Mick's pragmatism on 11:25 - Oct 13 by clive_baker

#BCWYWF

But they knew exactly what they were getting, in him returning to the position he had all those years ago.
Mick's pragmatism on 12:55 - Oct 13 with 6095 viewsBrianTablet

It's so ironic that he celebrates attaining a point when, for so many of us, he made going to watch football so pointless.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Login to get fewer ads

Mick's pragmatism on 13:02 - Oct 13 with 6083 viewsAce_High1

For everything Mick did, this is what turned me off from attending games over the second half of his tenure at PR.

Yes we had a limited budget etc but his defensive, safety first, the opposition are so good, any point is a good point mentality is so defeatist, glass half full and negative.

Football is a relatively simple game, the aim is to score goals and win. You should never set up for a point, always try and win. Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't but at-least have the right mentality.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 13:03]
Mick's pragmatism on 13:15 - Oct 13 with 6058 viewsParisBlue

Mick's pragmatism on 13:02 - Oct 13 by Ace_High1

For everything Mick did, this is what turned me off from attending games over the second half of his tenure at PR.

Yes we had a limited budget etc but his defensive, safety first, the opposition are so good, any point is a good point mentality is so defeatist, glass half full and negative.

Football is a relatively simple game, the aim is to score goals and win. You should never set up for a point, always try and win. Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't but at-least have the right mentality.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2019 13:03]

Exactly. For years my view has been that 21-22 wins a season (plus a splattering of draws) will get you close to play offs. So just try to win every game.

Towards the end of MMs reign I recall our game Vs Hull was postponed (the Beast from the East). Adam Webster was interviewed and spoke about how disappointed they were as they'd spent all week working out how to stop Hull (as opposed to how to beat them).

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Mick's pragmatism on 13:23 - Oct 13 with 6000 viewsHerbivore

So much bitterness.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick's pragmatism on 15:06 - Oct 13 with 5882 viewsFtnfwest

Far more sexy football than we’re getting at the moment, clearly
Mick's pragmatism on 15:50 - Oct 13 with 5816 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mick's pragmatism on 12:02 - Oct 13 by J2BLUE

Quite. And a number of us pointed these things out at the time but we’re told to shut up and the bcwywf etc (not aimed at you btw).

He sucks the life out of a great sport. Which is a bit strange really as he’s got a wonderfully dry wit about him personally. I’m sure he’s a great bloke, but oh god his football .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mick's pragmatism on 16:12 - Oct 13 with 5774 viewsGluedtoBlue

I think the fact ROI are in with a realistic shout of qualification at this stage is an achievement in itself.

It's not like they're blessed with attacking talent like Kane, Sterling and Sancho.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Mick's pragmatism on 16:37 - Oct 13 with 5727 viewsmonty_radio

Mick's pragmatism on 13:23 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

So much bitterness.

But he probably doesn't really mean it.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Mick's pragmatism on 17:12 - Oct 13 with 5652 viewsEpiphone

As he would say “That went well!”
Mick's pragmatism on 17:53 - Oct 13 with 5584 viewsistanblue

"Everybody has seen tonight they [Georgia] are a good side. I'm happy. We took a point. If somebody had said before the start that we would have taken four points from the games against Georgia, I would have taken that'' - MM

Ireland have become incredibly dull to watch in recent years - didn't even have a shot on target until the second half against Georgia IIRC. Yesterday was a real chance for ROI to almost book a place in the Euros. If they don't beat either Switzerland or Denmark then it's curtains and MM will be to blame. So glad he and his negative football have gone. The contrast between MM and PL is stark.
Mick's pragmatism on 18:32 - Oct 13 with 5528 viewshaynes_toe1

Mick's pragmatism on 17:53 - Oct 13 by istanblue

"Everybody has seen tonight they [Georgia] are a good side. I'm happy. We took a point. If somebody had said before the start that we would have taken four points from the games against Georgia, I would have taken that'' - MM

Ireland have become incredibly dull to watch in recent years - didn't even have a shot on target until the second half against Georgia IIRC. Yesterday was a real chance for ROI to almost book a place in the Euros. If they don't beat either Switzerland or Denmark then it's curtains and MM will be to blame. So glad he and his negative football have gone. The contrast between MM and PL is stark.

This comparison between PL and MM is all very conveniently missing a slight difference.

PL has a squad which should easily be top 2 in League One. Shocker, we're winning games and scoring goals.

Most of PL games last season were absolutely dreadful. Just as boring as MM football but without the bonus of actually winning some games.

Can't help but feel that MM would have us scoring goals and winning games in the third tier of English football...
Mick's pragmatism on 18:37 - Oct 13 with 5500 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 18:32 - Oct 13 by haynes_toe1

This comparison between PL and MM is all very conveniently missing a slight difference.

PL has a squad which should easily be top 2 in League One. Shocker, we're winning games and scoring goals.

Most of PL games last season were absolutely dreadful. Just as boring as MM football but without the bonus of actually winning some games.

Can't help but feel that MM would have us scoring goals and winning games in the third tier of English football...

We're not scoring that many goals really, Tranmere and Bolton games aside. We've had four 1-0 wins in our opening 11 games and five of our 8 wins have come by a margin of one goal. The football has only been good in patches if we're honest. It's actually been quite Mick-like at times, just a division lower and with the best squad in the league. What the good feeling shows is that people like winning football matches first and foremost.

Mick's pragmatism on 18:44 - Oct 13 with 5506 viewsHipsterectomy

Watched one of those Sky Sports youtube videos and the nicest thing the Irish pundit could say about MM is that his style is 'interesting' lol

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Mick's pragmatism on 18:55 - Oct 13 with 5474 viewsblueislander

Mick's pragmatism on 18:37 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

We're not scoring that many goals really, Tranmere and Bolton games aside. We've had four 1-0 wins in our opening 11 games and five of our 8 wins have come by a margin of one goal. The football has only been good in patches if we're honest. It's actually been quite Mick-like at times, just a division lower and with the best squad in the league. What the good feeling shows is that people like winning football matches first and foremost.

There is indeed still too much hoofball, which is ridiculous given the talent we have in midfield, but what about Woolfenden’s 50 yard pass to Garbutt against Tranmere. That was “Beatiesque”
Mick's pragmatism on 19:40 - Oct 13 with 5410 viewsKeaneish

Mick's pragmatism on 13:23 - Oct 13 by Herbivore

So much bitterness.

Here he is, bang on cue to troll another civil post and discussion - predictably waiting in the wings to provoke an argument out of nothing. Boring, as ever.

The tone of my post would imply there's no bitterness or malice; it's just a discussion about the game yesterday and whether Mick's approach will be his undoing after a lot of good work.

Why do you crave attention so much?

Mick's pragmatism on 19:47 - Oct 13 with 5394 viewsPositivelyPortman

Mick's pragmatism on 19:40 - Oct 13 by Keaneish

Here he is, bang on cue to troll another civil post and discussion - predictably waiting in the wings to provoke an argument out of nothing. Boring, as ever.

The tone of my post would imply there's no bitterness or malice; it's just a discussion about the game yesterday and whether Mick's approach will be his undoing after a lot of good work.

He’s not all there.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Mick's pragmatism on 19:49 - Oct 13 with 5382 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 19:40 - Oct 13 by Keaneish

I don't crave attention, dear. My response was to the thread in general as opposed to your OP. I do find the number of threads started about Mick rather odd though. He left 18 months ago and we've been through two managers and a relegation since then.

Mick's pragmatism on 19:50 - Oct 13 with 5379 viewsHerbivore

Mick's pragmatism on 19:47 - Oct 13 by PositivelyPortman

He’s not all there.

Ooh, Mrs Hurst is in the house.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024