Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dolly Ponders 13:40 - Oct 17 with 12421 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've been pondering again.

Religious folk believe that God created the universe. Fine. Those of you who are atheists, therefore, must surely believe the possibility that there are (or have been) lots of universes?

My thinking is this - we know a universe can come into being from, essentially, nothing. Because we're in one. And within that universe there is never just one of something. There are at least 2,500 species of moth in the UK alone, for example.

So it seems unlikely that only one universe would have developed. If it can happen as easily as it seems to have - and with no outside influence as you atheists believe - then it should have happened countless times? And presumably evolution would have happened in a similar way in all of these times?

I know the multi-verse theory isn't particularly new, but would you agree that if you don't believe God created one universe then it's highly like there are many, many universes (we just can't see/get to them because we're in this one)? When compared to all other events that are able to happen due to the laws of nature/physics etc. it's surely very very unlikely a universe would only come about just one time ever?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dolly Ponders on 13:43 - Oct 17 with 3644 viewsfactual_blue

It's easier to believe the Giant's Causeway is 6,000 years old.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dolly Ponders on 13:44 - Oct 17 with 3642 viewssparks

The only valid answer is 'we dont know'.

The premises in para 3 are not remotely sound. The rest does not therefore follow. Even if the logic was viable. Which I question...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dolly Ponders on 13:47 - Oct 17 with 3627 viewsjeera

I'm not sure most religious folk I've known have shown any particular interest in the Universe really.

Most speak of the Earth being created by God but get a bit vague about the rest of the place.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Dolly Ponders on 13:49 - Oct 17 with 3615 viewsGuthrum

Altho that multiplicity of species, etc., existing within this universe and its framework of laws doesn't mean it will necessarily do so elsewhere (insofar as the concept of "elsewhere" exists at all).

It's equally possible that this is the only universe and there is nothing else.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dolly Ponders on 13:52 - Oct 17 with 3602 viewsOldsmoker

Douglas Adams said this.

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Dolly Ponders on 13:53 - Oct 17 with 3590 viewsDarth_Koont

But the universe means everything and one everything is perfectly logical.

Doesn't discount multiple universes but there's nothing in logic terms to suggest there should be.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dolly Ponders on 13:59 - Oct 17 with 3569 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 13:44 - Oct 17 by sparks

The only valid answer is 'we dont know'.

The premises in para 3 are not remotely sound. The rest does not therefore follow. Even if the logic was viable. Which I question...

Do elaborate on what you think isn't sound and why.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Er... on 14:01 - Oct 17 with 3566 viewsDyland

"And within that universe there is never just one of something. There are at least 2,500 species of moth in the UK alone, for example."

Er, what?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Dolly Ponders on 14:02 - Oct 17 with 3556 viewsfooters

Have you been on the jazz woodbines recently, buh?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Er... on 14:03 - Oct 17 with 3553 viewsjeera

Er... on 14:01 - Oct 17 by Dyland

"And within that universe there is never just one of something. There are at least 2,500 species of moth in the UK alone, for example."

Er, what?

There are lots of moths so it stands to reason there are probably several universes.

I dunno Dyland. You can't have everything explained to you mate.

One day you're going to have to think for yourself.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Dolly Ponders on 14:03 - Oct 17 with 3552 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 13:49 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

Altho that multiplicity of species, etc., existing within this universe and its framework of laws doesn't mean it will necessarily do so elsewhere (insofar as the concept of "elsewhere" exists at all).

It's equally possible that this is the only universe and there is nothing else.

The fact that it's happened (and happened/developed so easily) it would surely seem unlikely to be a one off. If spontaneous universe creation is allowed then why would it only happen one time?

Dolly Ponders on 14:06 - Oct 17 with 3542 viewsOldsmoker

The problem I have with the universe is that it is big.
Big, Vast, Ginormous, Colossal are words that don't even come close to describe it.
There are billions of Galaxies and within those galaxies are billions of stars each kicking out vast amounts of energy.
I can't do the math but that is a lot of energy and all of that energy, because of the law of physics, has to have been there at the start because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed.

That's a lot of stuff to come from nothing.

Dolly Ponders on 14:07 - Oct 17 with 3536 viewsbaxterbasics

It's baffling isn't it, how anything can possibly exist?

Whether you are taking a religious or pure science view of it, the idea of a 'beginning' and the limits of space-time are beyond comprehension.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Dolly Ponders on 14:07 - Oct 17 with 3534 viewsBackToRussia

Dunno. Have you worked out how to tie a towel around your waist yet?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Dolly Ponders on 14:07 - Oct 17 with 3532 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dolly Ponders on 13:53 - Oct 17 by Darth_Koont

But the universe means everything and one everything is perfectly logical.

Doesn't discount multiple universes but there's nothing in logic terms to suggest there should be.

I just think if it can happen, then over billions upon billions of years there'd surely be another one. Even just a small one! Seems odd to me that something so fundamental would be a one off event.

Dolly Ponders on 14:09 - Oct 17 with 3524 viewsDyland

Dolly Ponders on 14:02 - Oct 17 by footers

Have you been on the jazz woodbines recently, buh?

Meth maybe. And I mean the spirits not the crystals.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Er... on 14:09 - Oct 17 with 3525 viewsBrixtonBlue

Er... on 14:01 - Oct 17 by Dyland

Er, what?

It's written in English Dyllers. I'm not sure what else I can do for you.

Dolly Ponders on 14:11 - Oct 17 with 3515 viewsOldsmoker

Dolly Ponders on 14:07 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

I just think if it can happen, then over billions upon billions of years there'd surely be another one. Even just a small one! Seems odd to me that something so fundamental would be a one off event.

There is a possibility that when God created the universe he thought "oh sh*t, I won't make that mistake again".

Er... on 14:12 - Oct 17 with 3514 viewsBrixtonBlue

Er... on 14:03 - Oct 17 by jeera

There are lots of moths so it stands to reason there are probably several universes.

I dunno Dyland. You can't have everything explained to you mate.

One day you're going to have to think for yourself.

Or more to the point - there are lots of everything (as allowed by nature/the laws of physics etc). So why just one universe? If multiple things can come about - and the universe is a thing that obeys the same laws...

Dolly Ponders on 14:12 - Oct 17 with 3511 viewsDarth_Koont

Probably because it is so fundamental.

Maybe it's a universe that expands and contracts back to nothing. From a Big Bang to a Big Crunch. Then starts again from that state. So multiple universes in series not in parallel.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dolly Ponders on 14:12 - Oct 17 with 3513 viewssparks

Dolly Ponders on 13:59 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

Do elaborate on what you think isn't sound and why.

We dont know if the universe was created or developed from nothing. We dont know if it was easy. We dont know if there is never just one of something. We have no reason to equate the universe with moths or anything else.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dolly Ponders on 14:13 - Oct 17 with 3508 viewsSpruceMoose

At the bottom of all of these type of questions is a kind of hubris. Our egos are hesitant to accept our own unimportance.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dolly Ponders on 14:13 - Oct 17 with 3503 viewsGuthrum

Dolly Ponders on 14:03 - Oct 17 by BrixtonBlue

The fact that it's happened (and happened/developed so easily) it would surely seem unlikely to be a one off. If spontaneous universe creation is allowed then why would it only happen one time?

You say 'is allowed to happen', but we don't know the circumstances under which it did. There may never have been more than one universe.

Also, it wasn't created from nothing, it expanded from a point singularity. A more pertinent question is how that singularity came to be, which might tell us whether others might have existed.

Dolly Ponders on 14:15 - Oct 17 with 3494 viewsGuthrum

Outside of our universe, there is no such thing as 'billions and billions of years'.

Dolly Ponders on 14:17 - Oct 17 with 3485 viewsOldsmoker

Dolly Ponders on 14:13 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

You say 'is allowed to happen', but we don't know the circumstances under which it did. There may never have been more than one universe.

Also, it wasn't created from nothing, it expanded from a point singularity. A more pertinent question is how that singularity came to be, which might tell us whether others might have existed.

Are you suggesting that there were multiple singularities?
Let me get my brain around that....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024