Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big night for Lambert.... 10:20 - Oct 23 with 3836 viewsunstableblue

.... whilst the season so far has been great, especially with the rise of young players such as Downes, Wolfenden, El Mizouni and the onboarding of KVY, and with the league standard having been generally better than expected (bar poor finishing from the opposition), question marks still remain about Lambert's system, team selection/rotation and the effectiveness of attack and defence questionable...... I think tonight he needs to pull one out of the bag, get the team prepared, motivated and set-up correctly and lets really outplay Rotherham and get the fans rocking.

Rotherham's form seems sketchy = beating Doncaster and Blackpool, but losing to (EDIT) high flying Bristol Rovers and Oxford.

Need to make Accrington a blip.... Peterborough and Sunderland on the rise?!
[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 10:35]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:25 - Oct 23 with 3225 viewsMrTown

Agree with most of that. Don't agree with standard of the league been better than expected, I think it has been worse bar the expection of the odd team.

How unclinical teams are is ridiculous.

We've got a long way to go.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:26 - Oct 23 with 3207 viewsStokieBlue

Obviously it would be good if we get a performance but all this talk about Lambert seems excessive to me. We are still top with 2 games in hand.

Oxford aren't low flying - they have been battering teams lately.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:27 - Oct 23 with 3211 viewshaynes_toe1

The standard of the league has been the lowest of the low. In fact, i'm not sure I remember a time in the last 10 years when League One was quite THIS weak overall.
Big night for Lambert.... on 10:31 - Oct 23 with 3192 viewsRyorry

Difficult with injuries of course, but we really, really need to establish a core, settled side and system.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Goodness..... on 10:31 - Oct 23 with 3190 viewsBloots

.....the standard of this league is appalling, that's why we are top!

"Low flying" Bristol Rovers and Oxford?? Have you looked at the league table?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:35 - Oct 23 with 3158 viewsHerbivore

I'd say the fact we aren't playing well and yet we're top with 2 games in hand suggests this league is utter toss.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 10:43 - Oct 23 with 3116 viewsunstableblue

.. have edited.

As for league standard - Accrington were good on Saturday, and would have given a Championship side a test, but again weak up front. Peterborough were good, Doncaster were good, Tranmere had moments, Burton were half decent. MK Dons, Bolton, Shrews were pony

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:43 - Oct 23 with 3114 viewsRyorry

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:35 - Oct 23 by Herbivore

I'd say the fact we aren't playing well and yet we're top with 2 games in hand suggests this league is utter toss.

Only 1 in hand with some teams.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 10:49 - Oct 23 with 3084 viewsStokieBlue

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 10:43 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

.. have edited.

As for league standard - Accrington were good on Saturday, and would have given a Championship side a test, but again weak up front. Peterborough were good, Doncaster were good, Tranmere had moments, Burton were half decent. MK Dons, Bolton, Shrews were pony

Not sure about that either.

Accrington were fine but that was mainly because our selection was bizarre. If we had started 442 or a diamond without Toto and Edwards at the back we would have won I believe. Even Donacien playing RB would be better than Edwards.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:50 - Oct 23 with 3091 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I am not sold on Lambert. We are going well at the moment but if we don't find a pattern of play soon, we will come unstuck by teams who are getting in to the league.

If we keep winning I wont be complaining, but I must admit I have my reservations.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:00 - Oct 23 with 3050 viewsdavblue

Big night for Lambert.... on 10:50 - Oct 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

I am not sold on Lambert. We are going well at the moment but if we don't find a pattern of play soon, we will come unstuck by teams who are getting in to the league.

If we keep winning I wont be complaining, but I must admit I have my reservations.

We've had moments where players have won us games rather than fantastic play in general, im yet to watch us this season and think yeah we are a really good side.

I think we are getting through games with the quality of players for this league but im yet to be convinced we will win the league through our style of play.

Im reluctant to say this but we are a year into Lambert's reign so still early days in the bigger picture of his overall reign and he perhaps hasn't been able to get the type of player he ideally would like longer term because of our league position.

Next year will be the real time to judge him, he will have had 4 transfer windows by then to build his team and this was never going to be a quick fix.
Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 11:05 - Oct 23 with 3015 viewsHerbivore

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 10:43 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

.. have edited.

Accrington were rubbish. We were just terrible ourselves. This league is trash, I don't like being disrespectful to other teams but it's been even worse than I expected and I expected it to be poor (hence my confident prediction we'd get promoted).

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:09 - Oct 23 with 3005 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:00 - Oct 23 by davblue

We've had moments where players have won us games rather than fantastic play in general, im yet to watch us this season and think yeah we are a really good side.

I think we are getting through games with the quality of players for this league but im yet to be convinced we will win the league through our style of play.

Im reluctant to say this but we are a year into Lambert's reign so still early days in the bigger picture of his overall reign and he perhaps hasn't been able to get the type of player he ideally would like longer term because of our league position.

Next year will be the real time to judge him, he will have had 4 transfer windows by then to build his team and this was never going to be a quick fix.

Good post.

If he gets us out of this league first time of asking he has done well. We are top of the league with games in hand, so I am in no real position to moan.

I just don't see us at the moment being able to keep getting results without playing well, especially as teams are seemingly starting to improve and putting opposition away comfortably.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:25 - Oct 23 with 2951 viewsGuthrum

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:09 - Oct 23 by TRUE_BLUE123

Good post.

If he gets us out of this league first time of asking he has done well. We are top of the league with games in hand, so I am in no real position to moan.

I just don't see us at the moment being able to keep getting results without playing well, especially as teams are seemingly starting to improve and putting opposition away comfortably.

I think we have been playing quite well, but in terms of gaining a lead and holding onto it, or frustrating the opposition and scoring later on, rather than free-flowing lovely football with lots of goals. Hence scoring not all that many, but conceding very few and winning lots of games 1 - 0.

It's effective, in that a one-goal margin gets you the same number of points as six. But it appears less fluent than we hope for.

Plus we have used the early part of the season well to gain a head start.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:27 - Oct 23 with 2941 viewsHerbivore

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:25 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

I think we have been playing quite well, but in terms of gaining a lead and holding onto it, or frustrating the opposition and scoring later on, rather than free-flowing lovely football with lots of goals. Hence scoring not all that many, but conceding very few and winning lots of games 1 - 0.

It's effective, in that a one-goal margin gets you the same number of points as six. But it appears less fluent than we hope for.

Plus we have used the early part of the season well to gain a head start.

People lost their rag when I said we've been quite Mick-like in our performances but that really is how we've been playing this season. Bit disjointed in terms of fluency of play but a few quality players producing to get us narrow wins whilst we (usually) effectively shut down the opposition.

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:30 - Oct 23 with 2932 viewsdavblue

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:27 - Oct 23 by Herbivore

People lost their rag when I said we've been quite Mick-like in our performances but that really is how we've been playing this season. Bit disjointed in terms of fluency of play but a few quality players producing to get us narrow wins whilst we (usually) effectively shut down the opposition.

i said the same about Roy Keane and Mick, that their playing styles were very similar when Mick was having his good spell and got shouted down.

Who was right?
Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 11:32 - Oct 23 with 2921 viewsNthsuffolkblue

.. have edited.

Accrington were allowed to physically bully our weakened side off the ball.

We were poor. They were well organised with a decent finisher. Quite clearly they did something better than they have been doing all season. We were clearly worse than we have been. Without Downes and Norwood we missed a physical presence. I would like to think in similar circumstances Roberts will come into Lambert's thinking and he won't rely so much on Judge/Dozzell/Dobra/Georgiou in such a physical battle.

Nsiala remains a liability.

Accrington have become a bogey side for us. Hopefully not when we play them at PR.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:32 - Oct 23 with 2911 viewsHerbivore

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:30 - Oct 23 by davblue

i said the same about Roy Keane and Mick, that their playing styles were very similar when Mick was having his good spell and got shouted down.

Who was right?

In Mick's good spell we actually won games.

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:46 - Oct 23 with 2863 viewsdavblue

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:32 - Oct 23 by Herbivore

In Mick's good spell we actually won games.

That was the only difference, I'm talking about style of play.
Big night for Lambert.... on 12:03 - Oct 23 with 2789 viewsGuthrum

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:27 - Oct 23 by Herbivore

We are, like when McCarthy first arrived, recovering from a disaster where everything rather fell apart. Defensive solidity seems to be the way to go in those circumstances.

It all depends if and how Lambert develops from here (McCarthy didn't, really). He does seem keen on wingers and has recruited some better strikers. But we'll have to wait and see.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 12:43 - Oct 23 with 2681 viewsMrTown

.. have edited.

Accrington were good against us on Saturday, deserved to win but was mainly down to the fact we were exposed on the wider areas with their system doubleing up on our 1 wing back.

To suggest they would give Championship side a test is bit of stretch though.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

I do find it funny... on 12:53 - Oct 23 with 2637 viewsunstableblue

Big night for Lambert.... on 11:00 - Oct 23 by davblue

... that Lambert's performances get so much criticism... when during that passage of 1-1s last season, and in games like MK Dons, Sunderland, Tranmere, etc (all be it halves) we've played easily our best passing and attacking play for years - watch the Downes diving header for one. Some of the performances under Mick and Paul were so much worse.

But yes I agree we've yet to put in THAT performance; 80mins of dominant pass and move.MK Dons first half I thought was fanstastic, albeit against dross.

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 12:55 - Oct 23 with 2619 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Whoops - Bristol Rovers and Oxford book end us in the 6 game form table... on 12:43 - Oct 23 by MrTown

Accrington were good against us on Saturday, deserved to win but was mainly down to the fact we were exposed on the wider areas with their system doubleing up on our 1 wing back.

To suggest they would give Championship side a test is bit of stretch though.

Dunno, they probably would have beaten a Championship side I’d say...

...if that Championship side was Ipswich Town 2018/19

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I do find it funny... on 12:56 - Oct 23 with 2614 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I do find it funny... on 12:53 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

... that Lambert's performances get so much criticism... when during that passage of 1-1s last season, and in games like MK Dons, Sunderland, Tranmere, etc (all be it halves) we've played easily our best passing and attacking play for years - watch the Downes diving header for one. Some of the performances under Mick and Paul were so much worse.

But yes I agree we've yet to put in THAT performance; 80mins of dominant pass and move.MK Dons first half I thought was fanstastic, albeit against dross.

It’s probably because up until this season his win % was in single figures, and we’ve only started winning games now we’re in the third division

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I do find it funny... on 13:01 - Oct 23 with 2575 viewsunstableblue

I do find it funny... on 12:56 - Oct 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s probably because up until this season his win % was in single figures, and we’ve only started winning games now we’re in the third division

Agreed.

I remember listening to the Blue Monday end of season podcast, and agreeing with the summary that it was overall an awful season, but during the 1-1 run we did play some excellent passing with good shape, but just completely toothless in front of goal, Stoke away, Leeds at home, etc etc.

That gave me a lot of hope!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024