Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The tactical conundrum 12:08 - Nov 24 with 1188 viewspointofblue

I thought yesterday was our best performance of the season as a whole except for the final third. We managed to maintain control of midfield for the most part and put some lovely moves together going forward, which unfortunately had no end product.

And this is where our issue lies as I think Norwood would struggle as much as Jackson does as a lone striker, particularly as our wingers fail to support the one up top adequately. The number of times Edwards and Rowe got into good positions yesterday only to cross straight to the goalkeeper or have an attempt blocked was infuriating.

4-3-3 worked well in terms of dominating possession, particularly in the second half, but without two up front we lack the final killer strike. But if we return to the Norwood and Jackson pairing we’ll probably lose the control of the game in midfield.

Our lack of suitable wingers is very much hurting us now and will do until January at the earliest, possibly longer than that if we don’t bring anyone else in which is likely. The question is what do we do for now to try and join the dots, allowing us to maintain control whilst having a cutting edge? Do we stick to 4-3-3, maybe with Norwood replacing Jackson when fit, hoping he can fulfil the role? Wait until KVY is fit and risk a diamond again trying to utilise his and Garbutt’s attacking instincts? Return to a flat 4-4-2 and see if we can sacrifice control for potency.

It’s frustrating as it feels like we’re so close to an answer yet, at the same time, some way off.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The tactical conundrum on 12:27 - Nov 24 with 1136 viewsHerbivore

I think 4-3-3 can work but not with our wide midfielders. Play Jackson as a wide forward, when Sears is back also play him as a wide forward. That way the central striker, Norwood most likely, won't be so isolated. For now I'd go Jackson one side then it's really a toss up between Edwards, Rowe and Georgiou. None are great, I think Edwards carries the biggest goal threat but he's frustrating at times. If we're going gutsy, Dobra could also be worth a try.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The tactical conundrum on 12:46 - Nov 24 with 1100 viewspointofblue

The tactical conundrum on 12:27 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

I think 4-3-3 can work but not with our wide midfielders. Play Jackson as a wide forward, when Sears is back also play him as a wide forward. That way the central striker, Norwood most likely, won't be so isolated. For now I'd go Jackson one side then it's really a toss up between Edwards, Rowe and Georgiou. None are great, I think Edwards carries the biggest goal threat but he's frustrating at times. If we're going gutsy, Dobra could also be worth a try.

I’d like to see Dobra given a run out but I think KVY would have to be at right back for that to work. Until Norwood’s fit I wonder whether it might be worth giving El Mizouni a run out in the wide left position? The supply from the guys out wide was pretty poor yesterday and Georgiou did very little when he came on.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The tactical conundrum on 12:50 - Nov 24 with 1090 viewstextbackup

The tactical conundrum on 12:27 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

Dobra over Edwards every single day of the week. that said i'd take the golden gamble man over Edwards.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The tactical conundrum on 12:57 - Nov 24 with 1082 viewsHerbivore

The tactical conundrum on 12:50 - Nov 24 by textbackup

Dobra over Edwards every single day of the week. that said i'd take the golden gamble man over Edwards.

Edwards is an odd one. He's VERY frustrating and gets knocked off the ball far too easily but he does get goals fairly consistently when playing further up the pitch.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The tactical conundrum on 13:45 - Nov 24 with 1037 viewsBlueBadger

The tactical conundrum on 12:50 - Nov 24 by textbackup

I'd play myself over Edwards.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 13:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The tactical conundrum on 14:08 - Nov 24 with 973 viewswrightsrightglove

The tactical conundrum on 13:45 - Nov 24 by BlueBadger

I'd play myself over Edwards.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 13:45]

I'd play with myself over Edwards.....wait.....no.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024