Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50k extra nurses 12:08 - Nov 28 with 5664 viewsBluefish

This is moving into Abbott levels of farce

They need to answer the question properly!

I can only assume he is trying to say they are recruiting 50k extra but normally I would need 69k extra to add 50k. Either that or maybe 19k are on temporary contracts and now they will be on permanent. Who bloody knows? I have avoided most of it but the bits I've seen and contradictory although he says there is currently 280k and there will he 330k so that is a 50k increase.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

50k extra nurses on 12:13 - Nov 28 with 3358 viewslowhouseblue

i assume they mean adding 50k to the total number in post. how much your rate of recruitment needs to rise to achieve that depends on the rate at which existing people leave each year. it's all a question of turnover.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

50k extra nurses on 12:15 - Nov 28 with 3354 viewsitfcjoe

18.5k are nurses who are expected to leave the industry but will be persuaded to stay.

It's like when people claim that a player extending their contract with a year or two to run is a new signing.

They won't answer it properly because they don't need to, there is so little scrutiny applied to the Tory party

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

50k extra nurses on 12:18 - Nov 28 with 3314 viewsBluefish

50k extra nurses on 12:15 - Nov 28 by itfcjoe

18.5k are nurses who are expected to leave the industry but will be persuaded to stay.

It's like when people claim that a player extending their contract with a year or two to run is a new signing.

They won't answer it properly because they don't need to, there is so little scrutiny applied to the Tory party

Which would make sense as a terrible lie/spin until they then categorically confirmed that it goes from 280k to 330k

I think it is being scrutinised

50k extra nurses on 12:25 - Nov 28 with 3283 viewsSwansea_Blue

And interestingly, of those 18,500 'not new' nurses, there is already a funded commitment to reduce retention by 2% by 2025, which will be the equivalent to about 12,400 nurses.

So their plan is actually to:
- recruit 31,500 genuinely new nurses
- retain an additional 6,100 nurses over current retention targets, who would otherwise have left

I'm not sure why they couldn't have said they plan to recruit and extra 30k+, and increase retention rates. Maybe they want everyone talking about the semantics of the numbers instead of concentrating on their terrible record with the NHS?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

50k extra nurses on 12:26 - Nov 28 with 3282 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If the explanation was that there will be 50k more nurses then that’s fine - in fact trying to retain nurses is entirely logical, and just focusing on new ones misleading as you could actually hire 50k new ones and end up with less of say 60k leave

However the issue is surely that the policy is quite simply obviously b*llocks, with the fact the Tories are now scrambling around trying to justify how they’ll do it showing how little it has been thought out

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

50k extra nurses on 12:27 - Nov 28 with 3279 viewsjontysnut

50k extra nurses on 12:13 - Nov 28 by lowhouseblue

i assume they mean adding 50k to the total number in post. how much your rate of recruitment needs to rise to achieve that depends on the rate at which existing people leave each year. it's all a question of turnover.

(a) If you have 100 nurses and no one leaves or joins then in 5 years you still have 100 nurses

(b) If you have 100 hundred nurses and over 5 years 20 leave and no-one joins you will have 80 nurses. This is 20 less than now.

(c) If you have 100 nurses, you retain those that would have left and recruit 20 nurses you will have 120 nurses. This is 40 more than you would have had after 5 years in situation (b) but only 20 more than you have now. That is only 20 'new' nurses.

To claim 40 more nurses is misleading in my book as most people would assume that the comparison is with what we have now than what we might notionally have in five years time
50k extra nurses on 12:30 - Nov 28 with 3263 viewslowhouseblue

50k extra nurses on 12:27 - Nov 28 by jontysnut

(a) If you have 100 nurses and no one leaves or joins then in 5 years you still have 100 nurses

(b) If you have 100 hundred nurses and over 5 years 20 leave and no-one joins you will have 80 nurses. This is 20 less than now.

(c) If you have 100 nurses, you retain those that would have left and recruit 20 nurses you will have 120 nurses. This is 40 more than you would have had after 5 years in situation (b) but only 20 more than you have now. That is only 20 'new' nurses.

To claim 40 more nurses is misleading in my book as most people would assume that the comparison is with what we have now than what we might notionally have in five years time

absolutely. you need to rise the steady state by 40 in order to say you have 40 more.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

50k extra nurses on 12:34 - Nov 28 with 3238 viewsBlueNomad

50k extra nurses on 12:27 - Nov 28 by jontysnut

And the 20,000 "new" police officers - forgetting the 21,000 posts they got rid of.

I'm not sure how they can be so sure that 19,000 demoralised nurses can be persuaded to stay - what's the incentive that is going to make them think everything is so much better?
Login to get fewer ads

50k extra nurses on 12:34 - Nov 28 with 3236 viewsBluefish

50k extra nurses on 12:30 - Nov 28 by lowhouseblue

absolutely. you need to rise the steady state by 40 in order to say you have 40 more.

But they are saying 280 to 330 so it is 50 extra

50k extra nurses on 12:41 - Nov 28 with 3208 viewsDubtractor

50k extra nurses on 12:34 - Nov 28 by Bluefish

But they are saying 280 to 330 so it is 50 extra

You claim to be anti tory and labour at the mo, yet go in with both feet on anything labour do, and somehow try to justify a tory policy which even Boris has admitted is about 19000 nurses being retained.

Just saying.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

50k extra nurses on 12:50 - Nov 28 with 3180 viewsBluefish

50k extra nurses on 12:41 - Nov 28 by Dubtractor

You claim to be anti tory and labour at the mo, yet go in with both feet on anything labour do, and somehow try to justify a tory policy which even Boris has admitted is about 19000 nurses being retained.

Just saying.

Bit of an odd take there. I have raised this as a shambles and I am trying to scrutinise it because it doesn't make sense. The fact remains they have said clearly that it will go from 280 to 330 so that is why I want to know where this shambles is coming from

50k extra nurses on 12:56 - Nov 28 with 3156 viewsZedRodgers

If you can't discuss a falsification like this without equating it to Diane Abbott then you're probably either racist or a misogynist, or both.

No, not at the moment

50k extra nurses on 12:59 - Nov 28 with 3148 viewsBluefish

50k extra nurses on 12:56 - Nov 28 by ZedRodgers

If you can't discuss a falsification like this without equating it to Diane Abbott then you're probably either racist or a misogynist, or both.

That's impressive stuff after you crying at GB mentioning anti semitism to you earlier.

I fear you might unravel completely by the 13th

50k extra nurses on 12:59 - Nov 28 with 3145 viewslowhouseblue

50k extra nurses on 12:50 - Nov 28 by Bluefish

Bit of an odd take there. I have raised this as a shambles and I am trying to scrutinise it because it doesn't make sense. The fact remains they have said clearly that it will go from 280 to 330 so that is why I want to know where this shambles is coming from

if it goes from 280 to 330, however that is achieved (recruitment, retention, cloning …) then I think it would be fair to say that they have added 50. logically speaking and all that.

50k extra nurses on 13:00 - Nov 28 with 3143 viewsBrixtonBlue

50k extra nurses on 12:26 - Nov 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If the explanation was that there will be 50k more nurses then that’s fine - in fact trying to retain nurses is entirely logical, and just focusing on new ones misleading as you could actually hire 50k new ones and end up with less of say 60k leave

However the issue is surely that the policy is quite simply obviously b*llocks, with the fact the Tories are now scrambling around trying to justify how they’ll do it showing how little it has been thought out

The way you defend them in your first para is incredible. You can't say it's 50k MORE nurses if some of them are already nurses.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Piers Morgan here.

(from 3:20)

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

50k extra nurses on 13:01 - Nov 28 with 3136 viewsBluefish

50k extra nurses on 12:59 - Nov 28 by lowhouseblue

if it goes from 280 to 330, however that is achieved (recruitment, retention, cloning …) then I think it would be fair to say that they have added 50. logically speaking and all that.

So why are they struggling with the maths to get there then? Why is he saying add 31k?
[Post edited 28 Nov 2019 13:03]

50k extra nurses on 13:06 - Nov 28 with 3096 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

50k extra nurses on 13:00 - Nov 28 by BrixtonBlue

The way you defend them in your first para is incredible. You can't say it's 50k MORE nurses if some of them are already nurses.

What? I’m saying if the end result is 50k more nurses than there are today then it’s fine, the issue is that there clearly isn’t any intention to do so as you can tell by their desperate attempts to scramble some sort of explanation

Not sure how you concluded I was defending them - in fact I think you’ve completely misunderstood the point tbh

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

50k extra nurses on 13:07 - Nov 28 with 3091 viewshomer_123

He's clearly not saying that.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

50k extra nurses on 13:09 - Nov 28 with 3074 viewsBluefish

You and Piers are incredibly similar in your ways

50k extra nurses on 13:12 - Nov 28 with 3059 viewsElephantintheRoom

40,000 nurse vacancies largely due to devaluation of the £ after the referendum..... quite why would you want to analyse or believe their latest lies.

Nurse numbers will continue to drop

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

50k extra nurses on 13:18 - Nov 28 with 3043 viewsBlueNomad

50k extra nurses on 13:12 - Nov 28 by ElephantintheRoom

40,000 nurse vacancies largely due to devaluation of the £ after the referendum..... quite why would you want to analyse or believe their latest lies.

Nurse numbers will continue to drop

Last year my wife was seriously ill in one of the largest, most prestigeous teaching hospitals in the country. They were closing wards and cancelling operations because so many nurses had gone back to Spain & Portugal. All the Tories are doing is suggesting that they WILL replace those people by persuading disillusioned staff to remain or encourage others to suddenly enter the profession.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2019 13:21]
50k extra nurses on 13:22 - Nov 28 with 3023 viewsBrixtonBlue

50k extra nurses on 13:06 - Nov 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What? I’m saying if the end result is 50k more nurses than there are today then it’s fine, the issue is that there clearly isn’t any intention to do so as you can tell by their desperate attempts to scramble some sort of explanation

Not sure how you concluded I was defending them - in fact I think you’ve completely misunderstood the point tbh

What does this bit mean then: "and just focusing on new ones misleading as you could actually hire 50k new ones and end up with less of say 60k leave."

Of course, if there are 50k more nurses in 5 years than there are now then it is fine. But that's not what they're saying. That 50k figure is including 19k who are already nurses that they hope to retain.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

50k extra nurses on 13:24 - Nov 28 with 3014 viewsBluefish

50k extra nurses on 13:18 - Nov 28 by BlueNomad

Last year my wife was seriously ill in one of the largest, most prestigeous teaching hospitals in the country. They were closing wards and cancelling operations because so many nurses had gone back to Spain & Portugal. All the Tories are doing is suggesting that they WILL replace those people by persuading disillusioned staff to remain or encourage others to suddenly enter the profession.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2019 13:21]

Then that doesn't make the 280 to 330 stack up. They have either left and will come back or they won't be leaving it doesn't make sense

50k extra nurses on 13:24 - Nov 28 with 3013 viewsBrixtonBlue

50k extra nurses on 13:07 - Nov 28 by homer_123

He's clearly not saying that.

Why is he talking about retainment then? It's neither here nor there. Retainment should happen anyway, and that would be a bonus (i.e. nothing to do with the 50k figure).

50k extra nurses on 13:26 - Nov 28 with 3008 viewsFPL_Tractor

Given the lack of basic numeracy across all political parties around one wonders why a black left-wing woman is the only one who seems to have picked up the "I can't add up" memes and comments.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024