Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. 17:46 - Dec 6 with 2766 viewsmonytowbray

That JLM document is fairly damning if true and I think it’s in the best interests of Labour voters to ensure there is a proper investigation and those people responsible are removed.

However the other part of me is struggling to understand how a man who has protested endlessly his entire life against discrimination is somehow leading a charge of mass anti-Semitism and why anyone would release such a document a week before an election when it will pretty much give the Tories the dictatorship they want for 5 years.

There also seems to be people who have no issues with Johnson and his previous comments who want to push this. You don’t get to pick and choose when discrimination is bad or when it’s fine.

I feel as someone who identifies as an anti-fascist we should speak about the allegations and not ignore it. It’s challenging when there is so much more on the table with current Labour party rifts to say there aren’t other potential factors in play. Corbyn has had every smear imaginable thrown at him in the last few years, many of which turned out to be untrue.

There has been a push from the centre to say the left wing has an anti-Semitism issue in general, yet if this were true I would have expected to have heard at least a little bit myself from my immediate and wider social circles, and I’ve heard none ever. Blurring the line between anti-Semitism and bring critical of the Israeli government is not the same I should add, as this is something I have seen done.

I’ve always felt the one most redeeming feature left wing politics has is when we find out someone or something is not as claimed we admit fault, abandon it for something better aligned or push back.

I’m a firm believer in taking victim claims and discriminatory allegations seriously so you can see why I’m conflicted here. There is literal written and video evidence of the likes of Trump, Farage and Johnson saying considerably toxic things yet people are fine to ignore it, yet I feel concerned just posting this as I’ve already had a few people on Twitter claim having any opinion other than the the most straight forward black and white one makes me a part of the problem.

I’m just trying to have a reasonable discussion, honestly. It’s all a bit confusing.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 17:58 - Dec 6 with 2464 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s confusing because it’s such a politicised issue with several layers, and people have a lot to gain in the different camps. So all sorts of nonsense is being peddled.

The allegations are damning; nobody should expect anything different because they’ve been granted a full inquiry. I’d rather wait to see the outcome before drawing too many conclusions though. I’ve seen nothing first hand either, so can’t really comment either way.

It is blown out of proportion in the media given the relatively small size of the affected community and number of allegations; but that’s not to say the allegations shouldn’t be dealt with and don’t look pretty horrendous of course.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:08 - Dec 6 with 2446 viewshampstead_blue

I think the problem is that whilst he says one thing his actions are somewhat different.

He's gone on the record slamming our armed forces, supporting terrorists who want to wipe Israel off the map and murder innocent British citizens and soldiers.

He now wants to remain neutral on Brexit.

He can't tell the truth as it's just to foul for the British public to support. If he did then he would be gone.
How can you spend so much time and effort on supporting Hezbollah and NOT agree with their objectives. Same with the IRA.

He also supports Chavez in Venezuela.

Somehow he has a pied piper effect on his supporters who can't admit to what is his life's work.

The rise in complaints since he became leader is near vertical and very high. Why? If he's telling the truth then this would not happen.
Also his cohort and mates are the ones doing the vile stuff now, he's not going to get his hands dirty.

Sorry but he is not fit to be a Scout Leader, leave alone PM.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:23 - Dec 6 with 2402 viewsElephantintheRoom

Why not forget all that nonsense... ans maybe even forget Tory cabinet members supporting candidates accused of anut-muslim views - and vote for the constituent in your contituency that impresses you the most?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:24 - Dec 6 with 2397 viewsHerbivore

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:08 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

I think the problem is that whilst he says one thing his actions are somewhat different.

He's gone on the record slamming our armed forces, supporting terrorists who want to wipe Israel off the map and murder innocent British citizens and soldiers.

He can't tell the truth as it's just to foul for the British public to support. If he did then he would be gone.
How can you spend so much time and effort on supporting Hezbollah and NOT agree with their objectives. Same with the IRA.

Somehow he has a pied piper effect on his supporters who can't admit to what is his life's work.

The rise in complaints since he became leader is near vertical and very high. Why? If he's telling the truth then this would not happen.
Also his cohort and mates are the ones doing the vile stuff now, he's not going to get his hands dirty.

I see reasonable and nuanced debate remains well beyond you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:33 - Dec 6 with 2377 viewsBLUEBEAT

Callis, maybe look at the overriding issues here?

It really isn’t about particular people, even if they are the party leader, it is about policies.

I think the choice is very clear when you line up the 3 main party policies.

Voting for the many not the few will make a post-Brexit Britain a happier Britain. Or not a post-Brexit Britain at all!

Poll: W or W

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:43 - Dec 6 with 2363 viewshampstead_blue

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:24 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I see reasonable and nuanced debate remains well beyond you.

My points are based on fact and are written in a manner, I hope, not be argumentative.

Fact is a reasonable stance. I'm surprised his fans are still denying it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:44 - Dec 6 with 2359 viewsHerbivore

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:43 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

My points are based on fact and are written in a manner, I hope, not be argumentative.

You wouldn't know a fact if it slapped you round the face.

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:09 - Dec 6 with 2308 viewsmrshallisfit

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:43 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

So. Do you think Boris Johnson is fit to be a leader?
Login to get fewer ads

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:17 - Dec 6 with 2296 viewshampstead_blue

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:44 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

You wouldn't know a fact if it slapped you round the face.

That's just rude and unnecessary.
Stop circling around my posts and look at the OP.

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:18 - Dec 6 with 2293 viewshampstead_blue

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:09 - Dec 6 by mrshallisfit

So. Do you think Boris Johnson is fit to be a leader?

No. I wanted Hunt.

However, JC will lead us not into temptation but into caves. We will be bankrupt and in a deeper hole than you could imagine.

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:26 - Dec 6 with 2254 viewsBLUEGOLD

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:18 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

No. I wanted Hunt.

However, JC will lead us not into temptation but into caves. We will be bankrupt and in a deeper hole than you could imagine.

That is total nonsense.

Labour will reduce poverty and the need for food banks.

The wealthy elite won’t be happy with that hence all of the anti Corbyn guff.

He has protested against racism his whole life as a back bencher not seeking to be PM.

He has spoken to terrorists as did Thatcher, but you’ll forgive her that of course.

Someone will need to speak to Isis and Daech too in the future. That’s how you get peace.

He doesn’t want to obliterate Israel, he wants a 2 state solution like most people.

Perhaps if the Israelis stopped building in the disputed territories that would help matters too.

Oh and Chávez died about 6 years ago.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2019 19:39]
Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:29 - Dec 6 with 2272 viewsSomethingBlue

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 18:08 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

Yet you'd allow Johnson in so that he ... errrrr ... gets out quickly, according to your odd logic.

If you can't see what you are paving the way towards by allowing your guy in — because he is your guy, if you're going to help him get in, and everything that subsequently comes to pass will be partly on you — then heaven help you.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:49 - Dec 6 with 2222 viewsmrshallisfit

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:18 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

No. I wanted Hunt.

So if you don't think Boris is fit to be leader why don't you occasionally have a rant against him once in a while. Spice it up. You might enjoy it.
Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 19:54 - Dec 6 with 2214 viewsHerbivore

No. I wanted Hunt.

You really do talk a load of old guff. Plenty of economists disagree with you:

https://www.ft.com/content/d29b4cbe-0fa4-11ea-a225-db2f231cfeae

And this Tory Party combined with a potential (even likely) no deal Brexit is a much bigger risk to the economy than Corbyn and Labour:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50628644

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 20:07 - Dec 6 with 2200 viewsOldsmoker

I'm walking on egg-shells.
1) The global population of people who identify as Jews is 14.6 million.
30% live in Israel.
So fact 1 - A large proportion of Jews are not from Israel.
2) The population of Israel is 74% Jewish.
So Fact 2 - Not all Israelis are Jews.
3) Only some of the voters in Israel support Netanyahu.
So Fact 3 - Netanyahu cannot form a coalition government because he doesn't have the support.

I do not confuse the Jewish religion with the Israeli Government. I firmly believe that a large proportion of Jews do not support the policies of the previous Israeli
Government led by Netanyahu.

So, to criticise the Israeli government led by Netanyahu is in no way anti-semetic in my view. This is Corbyns argument and I agree with him entirely.

Shoot me down if you wish.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2019 20:09]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 20:12 - Dec 6 with 2186 viewsGaryCooper

It is genuinely cat sh1te or dog sh1te, to avoid certain disappointment don't nail your hopes to any of the lying fekkers.
Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 21:08 - Dec 6 with 2143 viewsSteve_M

Re: your second paragraph. I think there’s an element of leftish thinking whereby Jews are white and often rich so can’t be the victims of prejudice. Corbyn just can’t see anti-semitism as racism. Which, for all that some accusations are opportunistic, is why this has dragged on for years.

Your criticism of Johnson is broadly correct, far too many only care about racism when it can be used to bash an opponent.

The reflective nature of this post is very much a good thing btw.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 07:46 - Dec 7 with 2026 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hi Callis. That is one of the most considered posts on the subject I’ve seen from somebody who intends to vote Labour.

You’ve read the evidence submitted by the Jewish Labour Movement and rather put your fingers your ears whilst shouting “Tory Islamophobia”, it’s made you feel very uneasy and at least question the current Labour leadership, it’s role in enabling antisemitism in the Labour Party and it’s failure, or lack of will, to deal with the issue.

Your post deserves a considered reply.

The EHRC doesn’t open a statutory investigation lightly. The evidence threshold is very high and Labour are only the second political party to come under a statutory investigation, the BNP being the other.

Besides the evidence submitted by the JLM, current and former Jewish MP’s have given evidence under oath but even more shocking is that 70 Labour staffers have come forward and given evidence under oath. Not only does that evidence contain endless examples of Jew hate in the Labour Party but evidence that the Labour leadership attempted to intervene in cases to let their mates off.

I know the following will resonate with you. When several of the staffers opened up about the mental health issues they suffered as a result of the bullying and intimidation they received for trying to do their job (one staffer revealed he had considered committing suicide), the leadership instigated a media campaign to discredit them as politically motivated opportunists.

The Labour Party stands accused of not only having a serious issue with antisemitism but being institutionally antisemitic. That doesn’t mean that there are more labour members who are antisemitic than not. It means that it’s process of complaint, how it deals with those who are guilty of antisemitism is compromised from top to bottom. And discriminated against the victims of antisemitism.

The following case of Alan Bull, a notorious holocaust denier, is a perfect example of institutional antisemitism. It’s one case but it highlights why the EHRC have opened their investigation. This really is worth five minutes of your time to read.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1194623722008662019.html

With regards to the question you pose regarding Corbyn being a lifelong anti racist. Corbyn doesn’t see himself as antisemitic. He sees himself as being anti globalist, anti Zionist and a defender of Palestinian rights. Unfortunately his commitment to Palestinian rights has seen him swim in the sewer with a great number of antisemites, holocaust deniers and blood libellers. That’s not to say that he agrees with these people but he sees them as fellow travellers and has been happy to turn a blind eye to their vile views. He’s also engaged in in antisemitic conspiracies. He’s defended antisemitic murals, hosted events comparing to state of a Israel to the Nazis, repeated that trope on more than one occasion, invited James Thring(a neo Nazi friend of David Duke and defender of David Irving) to one of his “anti Zionist” events,othered British Jews as not getting English irony (imagine if Boris had said that despite living here all there lives British a Muslims still didn’t get English irony), continued to donate to and support Holocaust denier Paul Eisen years after Eisen outed himself as a holocaust denier. That’s just skimming the surface.

But Corbyn doesn’t see Jews as an ethnicity minority. He sees them as predominately white, rich, powerful, supporters of the state of Israel. How can such people be victims of racism. It just doesn’t compute with him.

I think Deborah Lipstadt, American historian who took on in court and won against holocaust denier David Irving, author of the books Denying the Holocaust, History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier, The Eichmann Trial, and Antisemitism: Here and Now and is Professor of Modern Jewish History and Holocaust Studies at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, United States sums it up far better than I.

“When someone like Corbyn sees a Jew, they see someone who is white, someone who wealthy, someone who is powerful. Therefore [they believe] that person cannot be a victim of prejudice. Therefore if you can't be a victim and I can't be prejudiced, then you must have an ulterior motive [for your claims]; you want to harm the Labour Party, you support Israel”

She also goes in to say, and this really nails it for me, “Is Jeremy Corbyn an antisemite? My response would be that that is the wrong question. The right questions to ask are: has he facilitated and amplified expressions of antisemitism?

Has he been consistently reluctant to acknowledge expressions of antisemitism unless they come from white supremacist neo-Nazis?

Will his actions further facilitate the institutionalisation of antisemitism among other progressives?

“The answer to those questions is yes”

since writing those words Professor Lipstadt Has written that Corbyn has become so vehement in his rejection of any criticism about the issue, that "it is hard now to believe he is not antisemitic."

I hope that answers some if your questions and thanks for at least taking the time and trouble to give this issue some consideration. It may not change how you vote but at least you do so without wearing rise tinted glasses.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 7:48]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 08:01 - Dec 7 with 2006 viewsGlasgowBlue

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 17:58 - Dec 6 by Swansea_Blue

It’s confusing because it’s such a politicised issue with several layers, and people have a lot to gain in the different camps. So all sorts of nonsense is being peddled.

The allegations are damning; nobody should expect anything different because they’ve been granted a full inquiry. I’d rather wait to see the outcome before drawing too many conclusions though. I’ve seen nothing first hand either, so can’t really comment either way.

It is blown out of proportion in the media given the relatively small size of the affected community and number of allegations; but that’s not to say the allegations shouldn’t be dealt with and don’t look pretty horrendous of course.

“It is blown out of proportion in the media given the relatively small size of the affected community and number of allegations.

Jews make up only 0.5% of the U.K. population but according to home office figures last year, Jews were the targetted in 18 % of the total number of hate crimes.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 8:06]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 09:30 - Dec 7 with 1931 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 21:08 - Dec 6 by Steve_M

Re: your second paragraph. I think there’s an element of leftish thinking whereby Jews are white and often rich so can’t be the victims of prejudice. Corbyn just can’t see anti-semitism as racism. Which, for all that some accusations are opportunistic, is why this has dragged on for years.

Your criticism of Johnson is broadly correct, far too many only care about racism when it can be used to bash an opponent.

The reflective nature of this post is very much a good thing btw.

Tbh....I think that first paragraph is a figment of your immagination.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 09:48 - Dec 7 with 1913 viewsNewcyBlue

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 08:01 - Dec 7 by GlasgowBlue

“It is blown out of proportion in the media given the relatively small size of the affected community and number of allegations.

Jews make up only 0.5% of the U.K. population but according to home office figures last year, Jews were the targetted in 18 % of the total number of hate crimes.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 8:06]

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

Just look at figure 2. Yet people say that the EU referendum had no effect on hate crimes.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 10:22 - Dec 7 with 1883 viewsHerbivore

No. I wanted Hunt.

Found even more people who disagree with you, apologies for linking to the Torygraph but it seemed relevant: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 10:30 - Dec 7 with 1876 viewsbluelagos

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 07:46 - Dec 7 by GlasgowBlue

Hi Callis. That is one of the most considered posts on the subject I’ve seen from somebody who intends to vote Labour.

You’ve read the evidence submitted by the Jewish Labour Movement and rather put your fingers your ears whilst shouting “Tory Islamophobia”, it’s made you feel very uneasy and at least question the current Labour leadership, it’s role in enabling antisemitism in the Labour Party and it’s failure, or lack of will, to deal with the issue.

Your post deserves a considered reply.

The EHRC doesn’t open a statutory investigation lightly. The evidence threshold is very high and Labour are only the second political party to come under a statutory investigation, the BNP being the other.

Besides the evidence submitted by the JLM, current and former Jewish MP’s have given evidence under oath but even more shocking is that 70 Labour staffers have come forward and given evidence under oath. Not only does that evidence contain endless examples of Jew hate in the Labour Party but evidence that the Labour leadership attempted to intervene in cases to let their mates off.

I know the following will resonate with you. When several of the staffers opened up about the mental health issues they suffered as a result of the bullying and intimidation they received for trying to do their job (one staffer revealed he had considered committing suicide), the leadership instigated a media campaign to discredit them as politically motivated opportunists.

The Labour Party stands accused of not only having a serious issue with antisemitism but being institutionally antisemitic. That doesn’t mean that there are more labour members who are antisemitic than not. It means that it’s process of complaint, how it deals with those who are guilty of antisemitism is compromised from top to bottom. And discriminated against the victims of antisemitism.

The following case of Alan Bull, a notorious holocaust denier, is a perfect example of institutional antisemitism. It’s one case but it highlights why the EHRC have opened their investigation. This really is worth five minutes of your time to read.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1194623722008662019.html

With regards to the question you pose regarding Corbyn being a lifelong anti racist. Corbyn doesn’t see himself as antisemitic. He sees himself as being anti globalist, anti Zionist and a defender of Palestinian rights. Unfortunately his commitment to Palestinian rights has seen him swim in the sewer with a great number of antisemites, holocaust deniers and blood libellers. That’s not to say that he agrees with these people but he sees them as fellow travellers and has been happy to turn a blind eye to their vile views. He’s also engaged in in antisemitic conspiracies. He’s defended antisemitic murals, hosted events comparing to state of a Israel to the Nazis, repeated that trope on more than one occasion, invited James Thring(a neo Nazi friend of David Duke and defender of David Irving) to one of his “anti Zionist” events,othered British Jews as not getting English irony (imagine if Boris had said that despite living here all there lives British a Muslims still didn’t get English irony), continued to donate to and support Holocaust denier Paul Eisen years after Eisen outed himself as a holocaust denier. That’s just skimming the surface.

But Corbyn doesn’t see Jews as an ethnicity minority. He sees them as predominately white, rich, powerful, supporters of the state of Israel. How can such people be victims of racism. It just doesn’t compute with him.

I think Deborah Lipstadt, American historian who took on in court and won against holocaust denier David Irving, author of the books Denying the Holocaust, History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier, The Eichmann Trial, and Antisemitism: Here and Now and is Professor of Modern Jewish History and Holocaust Studies at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, United States sums it up far better than I.

“When someone like Corbyn sees a Jew, they see someone who is white, someone who wealthy, someone who is powerful. Therefore [they believe] that person cannot be a victim of prejudice. Therefore if you can't be a victim and I can't be prejudiced, then you must have an ulterior motive [for your claims]; you want to harm the Labour Party, you support Israel”

She also goes in to say, and this really nails it for me, “Is Jeremy Corbyn an antisemite? My response would be that that is the wrong question. The right questions to ask are: has he facilitated and amplified expressions of antisemitism?

Has he been consistently reluctant to acknowledge expressions of antisemitism unless they come from white supremacist neo-Nazis?

Will his actions further facilitate the institutionalisation of antisemitism among other progressives?

“The answer to those questions is yes”

since writing those words Professor Lipstadt Has written that Corbyn has become so vehement in his rejection of any criticism about the issue, that "it is hard now to believe he is not antisemitic."

I hope that answers some if your questions and thanks for at least taking the time and trouble to give this issue some consideration. It may not change how you vote but at least you do so without wearing rise tinted glasses.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 7:48]

"swim in the sewer with xyz"

I like that phrase Glassers. Amazing how many people over the years have done similar over a whole range of issues.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 10:35 - Dec 7 with 1871 viewscbower

Downvoted by mistake. Meant to upvote, especially the bit about blurring lines between anti semitism and criticism of Israeli govt policy.

bluescouser

Putting some of my voting confliction out there, potentially open to scrutiny. on 11:46 - Dec 7 with 1814 viewsgordon

There's certainly a self-awareness and reflexivity present in the opening post which is lacking in some of the replies!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024