Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much worse can it get in Australia 06:32 - Dec 31 with 2294 viewsgerryitfc

I can't think of anything more terrifying. Even if you make it to the beach there is a risk of suffocation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50952253
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 6:41]
How much worse can it get in Australia on 08:22 - Dec 31 with 2200 viewsElephantintheRoom

People who live in hot places shouldnt send unimaginably vast tonnages of coal to China.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

How much worse can it get in Australia on 09:08 - Dec 31 with 2151 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How much worse can it get in Australia on 08:22 - Dec 31 by ElephantintheRoom

People who live in hot places shouldnt send unimaginably vast tonnages of coal to China.

Good to see you are as sympathetic as ever.

I'm sure many of the deceased were directly involved in international trade deals weren't they.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How much worse can it get in Australia on 09:33 - Dec 31 with 2128 viewsChrisd

Some of the scenes are like something out of a Hollywood movie, a really scary situation and so sad to see.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

How much worse can it get in Australia on 09:38 - Dec 31 with 2120 viewsvapour_trail

Sadly, a lot worse is exactly what it is going to get for the Aussies. It’s pretty grim.

It’s also beyond belief that they’ve elected a climate change denier to lead them.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

How much worse can it get in Australia on 09:58 - Dec 31 with 2080 viewsElephantintheRoom

Things ARE unusually bad in the former penal colony right now and 24 hour news will hype it up before moving on but the sad fact is that death tolls from bush fires in Australia spike with alarming regularity - and always have done. There were equally bad, probably far worse years given the relative populations in the 20s, 40s, 70s and 80s.

It's trendy to blame global warming.... but if you look at the data it doesn't really add up. bush fires like weather patterns are cyclic.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

How much worse can it get in Australia on 10:09 - Dec 31 with 2058 viewsLord_Lucan

How much worse can it get in Australia on 09:58 - Dec 31 by ElephantintheRoom

Things ARE unusually bad in the former penal colony right now and 24 hour news will hype it up before moving on but the sad fact is that death tolls from bush fires in Australia spike with alarming regularity - and always have done. There were equally bad, probably far worse years given the relative populations in the 20s, 40s, 70s and 80s.

It's trendy to blame global warming.... but if you look at the data it doesn't really add up. bush fires like weather patterns are cyclic.

On top of that the green environmentalist lobby have stopped back burning which according to some bloke who was live on the radio this morning getting into a boat to flee the fire has been catastrophic**

**I am not an expert on this, just reporting what the chap said.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How much worse can it get in Australia on 10:27 - Dec 31 with 2020 viewsvapour_trail

Impossible of course to direct link any specific weather event to the wider warming issue, but if you believe date you’ve been fed suggesting current rises both in temperatures and prevalence of fires in Australia, and indeed other parts of the globe, is a cyclical occurrence, I’ll politely suggest you have not been provided with the full data set.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

How much worse can it get in Australia on 11:57 - Dec 31 with 1941 viewsSwansea_Blue

How much worse can it get in Australia on 09:08 - Dec 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Good to see you are as sympathetic as ever.

I'm sure many of the deceased were directly involved in international trade deals weren't they.

The people who make the decisions are rarely the ones who suffer, which is why it’s incumbent on us to not vote for climate change denying, xenophobic and in other ways heartless arseholes who’ll make people’s lives hell.

The Aus government aren’t directly responsible of course, but equally they’re not being good custodians.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

How much worse can it get in Australia on 12:13 - Dec 31 with 1929 viewschicoazul

How much worse can it get in Australia on 10:09 - Dec 31 by Lord_Lucan

On top of that the green environmentalist lobby have stopped back burning which according to some bloke who was live on the radio this morning getting into a boat to flee the fire has been catastrophic**

I am on FB with a few Aussies one of whom's Dad owns a very large stud farm in NSW and he says exactly the same thing; environmental policies have made this situation worse because they havent been able to carry out the controlled fires they have done many times in the past.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How much worse can it get in Australia on 12:14 - Dec 31 with 1927 viewseireblue

How much worse can it get in Australia on 10:09 - Dec 31 by Lord_Lucan

The chap in the boat was wrong.

Professor David Bowman, director of the Fire Centre Research Hub at the University of Tasmania, said it was becoming harder to carry out preventive burns.
Professor Bowman said there were risks to preventive burning and fire agencies were limited by things like weather.

“The weather windows are shrinking and if you burn in the wrong conditions you can also smoke out cities and create ill health,” he told news.com.au.
Some vegetation types were hard to burn safely including wet forests because they are really combustible so can easily turn into a bushfire.
As fires burn around Australia, debate is raging as to the impact of hazard reduction burns and climate change.

Certain types of terrain are also dangerous because people can get trapped during burns and Professor Bowman said some people had died this way.

He said the suggestion that The Greens had a “controlling voice or are an influence in any way” was not true.
“It’s sort of wishful thinking because the reality is the Greens don’t have much power over fire management,” he said.
How much worse can it get in Australia on 13:21 - Dec 31 with 1884 viewsLord_Lucan

How much worse can it get in Australia on 12:14 - Dec 31 by eireblue

The chap in the boat was wrong.

Professor David Bowman, director of the Fire Centre Research Hub at the University of Tasmania, said it was becoming harder to carry out preventive burns.
Professor Bowman said there were risks to preventive burning and fire agencies were limited by things like weather.

“The weather windows are shrinking and if you burn in the wrong conditions you can also smoke out cities and create ill health,” he told news.com.au.
Some vegetation types were hard to burn safely including wet forests because they are really combustible so can easily turn into a bushfire.
As fires burn around Australia, debate is raging as to the impact of hazard reduction burns and climate change.

Certain types of terrain are also dangerous because people can get trapped during burns and Professor Bowman said some people had died this way.

He said the suggestion that The Greens had a “controlling voice or are an influence in any way” was not true.
“It’s sort of wishful thinking because the reality is the Greens don’t have much power over fire management,” he said.

You are suggesting that one persons opinion overrules everyone else?

That is very Koontish IMHO, maybe Professor David Bowman should join TWTD.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

How much worse can it get in Australia on 13:49 - Dec 31 with 1856 viewsMalcolmBlue

How much worse can it get in Australia on 13:21 - Dec 31 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, we've all had enough of experts anyway

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:00 - Dec 31 with 1842 viewsNthQldITFC

There are global tipping points which we all should be aware of (permafrost, methane clathrates, gulf stream, albedo, Amazon etc.), but I guess there are also local feedback loops / tipping points such as unburned areas being dried out by adjacent fires, and thermally generated winds and lightning strikes, so in answer to the title of your post, probably significantly worse, unless there's a good lot of rain on the horizon.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 14:03]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:03 - Dec 31 with 1836 viewsLord_Lucan

How much worse can it get in Australia on 13:49 - Dec 31 by MalcolmBlue

Yeah, we've all had enough of experts anyway

Get 10 experts in a room and they will disagree

How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:07 - Dec 31 with 1829 viewsWeWereZombies

How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:03 - Dec 31 by Lord_Lucan

But you will learn a lot more from the discussion they have than you would if everyone stayed schtum...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:14 - Dec 31 with 1813 viewsHARRY10

whereas they actually don't

check the consensus among 'experts' on the causes and current effects of the climate crisis

it is only a few fringe right wing nutters that disagree, the same sort of cretins who oppose caccination

"Authorities had urged people in the region - many of them tourists - to stay put because by Monday it was too late and dangerous to evacuate."

I expect Rees-Mogg to have an opposite view

[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 14:28]
How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:27 - Dec 31 with 1785 viewseireblue

How much worse can it get in Australia on 13:21 - Dec 31 by Lord_Lucan

No.

I would suggest you should first establish facts.

From that you can inform opinions.

The professor stated some facts.
How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:41 - Dec 31 with 1754 viewseireblue

That’s economists.

Meanwhile,

A former NSW fire and rescue commissioner, Greg Mullins, has written this week that the hotter and drier conditions, and the higher fire danger ratings, were preventing agencies from carrying out prescribed burning.

He said: “Blaming ‘greenies’ for stopping these important measures is a familiar, populist, but basically untrue claim.”
How much worse can it get in Australia on 15:57 - Dec 31 with 1707 viewsGeoffSentence

Scott and Charlene could get divorced.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How much worse can it get in Australia on 17:26 - Dec 31 with 1651 viewsStokieBlue

That's simply nonsense, especially the last line.

To think someone voted for you as best new poster when you post pseudoscientific stuff like this.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How much worse can it get in Australia on 18:12 - Dec 31 with 1599 viewsLord_Lucan

How much worse can it get in Australia on 14:14 - Dec 31 by HARRY10

whereas they actually don't

check the consensus among 'experts' on the causes and current effects of the climate crisis

it is only a few fringe right wing nutters that disagree, the same sort of cretins who oppose caccination

"Authorities had urged people in the region - many of them tourists - to stay put because by Monday it was too late and dangerous to evacuate."

I expect Rees-Mogg to have an opposite view

[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 14:28]

Everyone who doesn't agree with you is a right wing nutter.

You are one of the most closed minded people on this board, you refuse to accept that anything is debatable.

You were convinced you were correct in your view of how the election was going to pan out and then went missing when you got it completely arse about face.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024