Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The US has overtaken China in total infections 22:07 - Mar 26 with 1524 viewsStokieBlue

Just announced they are at 81,378 which puts them past China (usual caveats apply with regards to Chinese numbers).

It's looking really bad over there, they don't seem to be anywhere close to their peak. It's impossibly hard when you have to battle a virus and your own president.

SB
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 22:12]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:11 - Mar 26 with 1496 viewsmonytowbray

your* ;)

It's utterly terrifying out there. My daughter's Great Grandma is in quarantine with it right now. She told me last week her family had been carrying on as normal but she was being sensible. I told her to do as much social distancing as she could and be extremely hygienic. Her Mum's side are all very typical low income Americans though, a lot of drama and some of the stuff my daughter tells me about her life there worries me. She's so used to it though and doesn't bat an eyelid at the fact her younger brother has his own gun.

I wish I could fly her out here really.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:13 - Mar 26 with 1487 viewsWicklowBlue

They are in serious trouble over there, Trump has his head buried in the sand while New York's infection rate is spiralling out of control. Haven't seen today's figures yet but yesterday NY had 5k infections.

I work with a lot of colleagues on the West Coast who have been told to stay at home. I believe at least one has had Covid and recovered but doesn't know as they weren't tested. Worrying times globally but USAs growth chart is horrendous even compared to Italy and China!
The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:14 - Mar 26 with 1476 viewsvapour_trail

Total measured and reported infections.

This is a bit of a meaningless stat really, stokie.

You question the Chinese number but given the deprioritisation of testing in the uk, we’ve not a scooby what our figure is.

I’m not sure there’s even a point in reporting that stat.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:23 - Mar 26 with 1436 viewsStokieBlue

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:14 - Mar 26 by vapour_trail

Total measured and reported infections.

This is a bit of a meaningless stat really, stokie.

You question the Chinese number but given the deprioritisation of testing in the uk, we’ve not a scooby what our figure is.

I’m not sure there’s even a point in reporting that stat.

I don't think that's totally fair, the BBC are reporting it at this very moment on the news :).

A few minor points:

- I've not mentioned our number at all so not sure why you have mentioned it?

- The UK is 6th in the world for the number of tests undertaken but I agree it should be more. The focus seems to be on the antibody test at the moment.

- The US has tested less than China so a direct comparison isn't unreasonable.

- The US curve is shocking and increasing rapidly and that's not just because of the increase in their testing.

I agree there are are loads of unknowns in all the stats and modelling around Covid-19 and it they should be taken in that context but I don't think that means they shouldn't be considered.

SB
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 22:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:34 - Mar 26 with 1397 viewsvapour_trail

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:23 - Mar 26 by StokieBlue

I don't think that's totally fair, the BBC are reporting it at this very moment on the news :).

A few minor points:

- I've not mentioned our number at all so not sure why you have mentioned it?

- The UK is 6th in the world for the number of tests undertaken but I agree it should be more. The focus seems to be on the antibody test at the moment.

- The US has tested less than China so a direct comparison isn't unreasonable.

- The US curve is shocking and increasing rapidly and that's not just because of the increase in their testing.

I agree there are are loads of unknowns in all the stats and modelling around Covid-19 and it they should be taken in that context but I don't think that means they shouldn't be considered.

SB
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 22:26]

Not a pop at you. I just don’t think there’s any integrity to these reported infection stats we are being fed by governments the the media will then compare or use to cite most infections here, there or anywhere else.

Apples and pears.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:37 - Mar 26 with 1377 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:34 - Mar 26 by vapour_trail

Not a pop at you. I just don’t think there’s any integrity to these reported infection stats we are being fed by governments the the media will then compare or use to cite most infections here, there or anywhere else.

Apples and pears.

Is apples and pears the same as false equivalence.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:55 - Mar 26 with 1353 viewsitfcjoe

This is interesting

https://www.ibtimes.sg/china-hiding-covid-19-death-toll-21-million-cell-phones-d

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 23:17 - Mar 26 with 1299 viewscatch74

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 22:55 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

This is interesting

https://www.ibtimes.sg/china-hiding-covid-19-death-toll-21-million-cell-phones-d

I still keep looking at the figures - mortality still at 16% for reported cases that have had an outcome. That’s staggering. There are now over 500, 000 cases, with a curve that’s not slowing.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Login to get fewer ads

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 23:18 - Mar 26 with 1287 viewsmonytowbray

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 23:17 - Mar 26 by catch74

I still keep looking at the figures - mortality still at 16% for reported cases that have had an outcome. That’s staggering. There are now over 500, 000 cases, with a curve that’s not slowing.

So many grey areas though in regards to people who have had it and recovered with the testing factor.

TWTD never forgets…

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 23:29 - Mar 26 with 1273 viewscatch74

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 23:18 - Mar 26 by monytowbray

So many grey areas though in regards to people who have had it and recovered with the testing factor.

Indeed, but we’re not inside for no reason. I don’t think you’ll find any figures anywhere without a line going steeply upwards. Be nice to see some evening out!

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 01:08 - Mar 27 with 1202 viewsmonytowbray

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 23:29 - Mar 26 by catch74

Indeed, but we’re not inside for no reason. I don’t think you’ll find any figures anywhere without a line going steeply upwards. Be nice to see some evening out!

Not going to happen for a couple of weeks at least I’d guess.

The countries doing more testing have a lower mortality rate though, and that tells us something I’d hope.

Every now and then I suddenly remember I’ve been stuck inside for over 2 weeks because there’s a new virus on the lose and it’s still a bit surreal.

Honestly, I hope this opens up discussion about food chains around the world. Every illness we’ve faced like this has stemmed from animals.

TWTD never forgets…

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 01:22 - Mar 27 with 1190 viewscatch74

The US has overtaken China in total infections on 01:08 - Mar 27 by monytowbray

Not going to happen for a couple of weeks at least I’d guess.

The countries doing more testing have a lower mortality rate though, and that tells us something I’d hope.

Every now and then I suddenly remember I’ve been stuck inside for over 2 weeks because there’s a new virus on the lose and it’s still a bit surreal.

Honestly, I hope this opens up discussion about food chains around the world. Every illness we’ve faced like this has stemmed from animals.

I’ve not tried raw bat yet. Definitely some massive issues that need sorting.

We’d just started using pasture fed beef at the pub, grass fed only means 40% outside, these ones have to be out grazing 100%. The taste is incredible, the pasture required means carbon negative. Crazily the meat is cheaper for me, cutting out a number of middle men.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024