Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This seasons dilemma 13:26 - Mar 29 with 2922 viewsArnieM

To play the games it not , to end the season or not, dilemma.

I think the Problem is that clubs in the relegation zone (say) with games in hand could argue it’s not fair to call a halt as it stands . They’d have a point tbh . But clubs well adrift for relegation or well ahead for promotion (less important really), or in Liverpool’s case , PL winners , I’d say their season is over.

Perhaps What could / should be done is for clubs with games in hand to be allowed to play them behind closed doors in May, then when every club has played the same number of games, that’s it . Table stands. There would be far less games needing to be played, and would be achievable. It would sort the main issues if promotion : relegation and allow Clubs to move toads future contract negotiations with their players .

Thoughts people ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This seasons dilemma on 13:31 - Mar 29 with 1491 viewsHerbivore

If the season can't be finished it'll be expunged. It's not ideal but there are way too many issues with ending the season early and still having promotion and relegation.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This seasons dilemma on 13:36 - Mar 29 with 1463 viewsThe_Tomonator

If the season can be expunged because of the caveat "football is not important" (which is correct). Can they not delay the start of next/chin off the league cup to ease congestion for a few seasons and gradually bring the start date back to normality over a few seasons.
Surely if footy is not that important it can be done?!?!?
This seasons dilemma on 13:37 - Mar 29 with 1457 viewstractorboy1978

This seasons dilemma on 13:36 - Mar 29 by The_Tomonator

If the season can be expunged because of the caveat "football is not important" (which is correct). Can they not delay the start of next/chin off the league cup to ease congestion for a few seasons and gradually bring the start date back to normality over a few seasons.
Surely if footy is not that important it can be done?!?!?

You have to remember that whatever happens, Euro 2021 will be starting mid June.
This seasons dilemma on 14:11 - Mar 29 with 1418 viewsIllinoisblue

This season should be finished one way or another. It’s next season that should be impacted

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This seasons dilemma on 14:30 - Mar 29 with 1403 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 14:11 - Mar 29 by Illinoisblue

This season should be finished one way or another. It’s next season that should be impacted

I tend to agree. We're over three quarters of the way through this season so really it should be a priority to finish it, even if it means next season winds up being shorter.

This seasons dilemma on 15:09 - Mar 29 with 1354 viewstractorboy1978

This seasons dilemma on 14:30 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

I tend to agree. We're over three quarters of the way through this season so really it should be a priority to finish it, even if it means next season winds up being shorter.

I guess there comes a point where next season isn't viable though unless you were to really cut it i.e no cup competitions, play each team once, European competitions straight to knockout.

It's not unreasonable that it could be late July before we start again, taking into account 3 month lockdown and a bit of a "pre season" before competitive games start. I'm also dubious whether when push comes to shove, players and clubs are going to be keen to cram 2 months worth of games into a few weeks (what they've been insinuating). Particularly those clubs still in the European competitions and domestic cup competitions.

A decision is going to have to be made across Europe fairly swiftly.
This seasons dilemma on 15:17 - Mar 29 with 1344 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 13:31 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

If the season can't be finished it'll be expunged. It's not ideal but there are way too many issues with ending the season early and still having promotion and relegation.

I think you are correct.

However, which is preferable? To finish this season when we finally get back under way or to have a different kind of season with the shorter time that will inevitably be available?

Plus, if it is expunged, Norwich get the chance to finish bottom of the Premier League in successive seasons. Would they stick that on their honours board?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This seasons dilemma on 15:17 - Mar 29 with 1345 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:09 - Mar 29 by tractorboy1978

I guess there comes a point where next season isn't viable though unless you were to really cut it i.e no cup competitions, play each team once, European competitions straight to knockout.

It's not unreasonable that it could be late July before we start again, taking into account 3 month lockdown and a bit of a "pre season" before competitive games start. I'm also dubious whether when push comes to shove, players and clubs are going to be keen to cram 2 months worth of games into a few weeks (what they've been insinuating). Particularly those clubs still in the European competitions and domestic cup competitions.

A decision is going to have to be made across Europe fairly swiftly.

I suspect cup comeptetions could get shelved this year too so that the leagues can finish. Next season may well have to be a half season essentially and truncated cup competitions. I think that's probably unavoidable.

Login to get fewer ads

This seasons dilemma on 15:18 - Mar 29 with 1342 viewsArnieM

This seasons dilemma on 14:30 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

So why not get those clubs that have games in hand, played behind closed doors. Then when all clubs have played the same amount of games, the season is ended , short of its normal number of games.

If all clubs have played the same number of games, n9 one can say its unfair , because Clubs are where they are in the league due t9 their form over the season to that last game.

You then start next season more likely, on a normal footing , plus clubs can sort there contracts out.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This seasons dilemma on 15:19 - Mar 29 with 1332 viewsIllinoisblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:17 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

I suspect cup comeptetions could get shelved this year too so that the leagues can finish. Next season may well have to be a half season essentially and truncated cup competitions. I think that's probably unavoidable.

Yes. League Cup, FA Cup would need to be shelved to make a league season viable

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This seasons dilemma on 15:22 - Mar 29 with 1327 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:18 - Mar 29 by ArnieM

So why not get those clubs that have games in hand, played behind closed doors. Then when all clubs have played the same amount of games, the season is ended , short of its normal number of games.

If all clubs have played the same number of games, n9 one can say its unfair , because Clubs are where they are in the league due t9 their form over the season to that last game.

You then start next season more likely, on a normal footing , plus clubs can sort there contracts out.

Sufficient games have been played that your suggestion is as fair as taking it based on the current table using average point per game. The argument against is that not everyone has played the same sides. However, every season teams play different teams at different times when they are on or off form, have injuries and suspensions etc.

This seasons dilemma on 15:23 - Mar 29 with 1328 viewsPecker

Just end the season now. Give Liverpool the title and start afresh when all this is over. Easiest, least complicated way. Everybody stays as they are. This country is going to be in enough of a state after this, without wondering who plays who and when, behind closed doors or not. Just end the thing now.
This seasons dilemma on 15:23 - Mar 29 with 1327 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:18 - Mar 29 by ArnieM

There are tons of issues with that. There's a difference between knowing a season is only going to be 30 games at the start of it and the season being ended abruptly when it's three quarters of the way through. Sides won't have all played an equal number of home and away games so can claim it's not been a fair competition. Also, what if a side is currently third on goal difference but in good form and has six of their last ten games at home and all against sides bottom of the league, whilst the side in second is away in six games and they are exclusively playing top half sides? That wouldn't be very fair either. The stakes for teams in the promotion and relegation battles are too high to just end the season part way through. Much better to finish this season even if it means adjusting next season to make it shorter.

This seasons dilemma on 15:25 - Mar 29 with 1319 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:23 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

There are tons of issues with that. There's a difference between knowing a season is only going to be 30 games at the start of it and the season being ended abruptly when it's three quarters of the way through. Sides won't have all played an equal number of home and away games so can claim it's not been a fair competition. Also, what if a side is currently third on goal difference but in good form and has six of their last ten games at home and all against sides bottom of the league, whilst the side in second is away in six games and they are exclusively playing top half sides? That wouldn't be very fair either. The stakes for teams in the promotion and relegation battles are too high to just end the season part way through. Much better to finish this season even if it means adjusting next season to make it shorter.

Yes, Lambert's rotation policy hasn't paid the dividends it was bound to over the last 10 games yet has it?

This seasons dilemma on 15:26 - Mar 29 with 1321 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:23 - Mar 29 by Pecker

Just end the season now. Give Liverpool the title and start afresh when all this is over. Easiest, least complicated way. Everybody stays as they are. This country is going to be in enough of a state after this, without wondering who plays who and when, behind closed doors or not. Just end the thing now.

If the season is ended now it would need to be expunged. No titles for anyone, no promotion or relegation.

This seasons dilemma on 15:29 - Mar 29 with 1310 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:26 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

If the season is ended now it would need to be expunged. No titles for anyone, no promotion or relegation.

Which is why I wonder if the fairest thing is to arrange next season with a head start for those sides that did well over what happened. A kind of halfway house. It would also allow for an abbreviated season. Maybe every team plays each other once either at home or away and then those that only played once this season play a second time as well.

This seasons dilemma on 15:29 - Mar 29 with 1309 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:25 - Mar 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, Lambert's rotation policy hasn't paid the dividends it was bound to over the last 10 games yet has it?

Our season has been over for a while to be fair so it makes no odds for us, but for the integrity of the completion it's not right to just end it three quarters of the way in and hand out the prizes based on where people are now. Either finish it (preferable IMO) or end it now and pretend it never happened. I don't see anything else being a feasible option.

This seasons dilemma on 15:30 - Mar 29 with 1307 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 15:26 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Then do that. People are dying all over the country, what does a game of football mean in comparison. Anybody who threatens to sue the leagues should be hung from the highest church tower. Just end the bl00dy thing. Start afresh when all is well again. Takes all the stress out of it.
This seasons dilemma on 15:33 - Mar 29 with 1296 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:29 - Mar 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Which is why I wonder if the fairest thing is to arrange next season with a head start for those sides that did well over what happened. A kind of halfway house. It would also allow for an abbreviated season. Maybe every team plays each other once either at home or away and then those that only played once this season play a second time as well.

Possibly, so in essence you kind of end up with a long season stretched over two years I guess. It's an option.

For me, I think finish this season whenever possible and then reduce next season accordingly, might need to be a 24 game season in League 1 where you play every side once either home or away and then a second game against one side (the one you're most closely matched to based on previous finishing position) so that each side has played an equal number of home and away games.

This seasons dilemma on 15:34 - Mar 29 with 1294 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:29 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Our season has been over for a while to be fair so it makes no odds for us, but for the integrity of the completion it's not right to just end it three quarters of the way in and hand out the prizes based on where people are now. Either finish it (preferable IMO) or end it now and pretend it never happened. I don't see anything else being a feasible option.

I have suggested a possible third way.

Nothing is ideal.

There are going to be major financial issues for clubs. I suspect whatever is likely to be seen as financially most advantageous to most clubs will be the most likely eventual outcome.

This seasons dilemma on 15:34 - Mar 29 with 1296 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:30 - Mar 29 by Pecker

Then do that. People are dying all over the country, what does a game of football mean in comparison. Anybody who threatens to sue the leagues should be hung from the highest church tower. Just end the bl00dy thing. Start afresh when all is well again. Takes all the stress out of it.

There's not really any stress currently is there? Football will return at some point, when it returns why not finish the current season?

This seasons dilemma on 15:38 - Mar 29 with 1286 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:34 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

There's not really any stress currently is there? Football will return at some point, when it returns why not finish the current season?

I think the big issue is that no one knows at all when it will return.

Once that is clearer a clearer idea of what can be done will be known.

Warburton was on Sky yesterday pointing out it is very frustrating for players not knowing. They all seem to be training at home in anticipation that the season will restart in a matter of a few weeks. They have to be ready for that eventually so I suppose a clear announcement that it won't would help them. It would mean reality hitting for the fan who just doesn't get the reality of the situation yet, though.

EDIT: He also pointed out that after an extended break there will need to be another pre-season to get the players ready again.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 15:39]

This seasons dilemma on 15:40 - Mar 29 with 1280 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 15:34 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Because you would have to finish this season, hardly no pre season and start again. Sides going up wouldn't have time to adjust there squads...…. can't be bothered. Just end the season now.
This seasons dilemma on 15:44 - Mar 29 with 1263 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:40 - Mar 29 by Pecker

Because you would have to finish this season, hardly no pre season and start again. Sides going up wouldn't have time to adjust there squads...…. can't be bothered. Just end the season now.

I don't think he is suggesting that (next season happening as normal).

I think he is saying commit to finishing this season whenever that can happen and see what you do with next season.

Given that the situation is likely to significantly delay the start of next season, it is a reasonable approach.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 15:45]

This seasons dilemma on 15:44 - Mar 29 with 1255 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:40 - Mar 29 by Pecker

You just have a shorter season next season and move preseason and the transfer windows accordingly. I don't think it's a big problem really.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024