Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City 14:51 - Jul 15 with 5477 viewsMaySixth

if anyone interested

Hi Sam, could you let me know how Ben Knight is progressing?

Sam Lee
STAFF
40m ago

Thanks very much, and interesting question. He’s been good but I think that shine has dimmed a little, the expectation around him that he had when he left Ipswich isn’t quite there at the moment (or before lockdown anyway). He’s obviously a very good player but from what I’ve seen and heard he doesn’t especially stand out in the teams he’s in. Maybe that’s due to playing up an age group, but I also don’t think he’s been training with the first team recently, and a lot of others his age have been. He’ll end up at a good level but probably not City - you could say that about 95% of them as that’s the nature of the beast

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 14:53 - Jul 15 with 4146 viewsLibero

When can we start intermittently loaning him back?

Jokes aside, interesting assessment.

I believe Klug had referred to Knight as the best he has ever worked with, which is some accolade.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:54]
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 14:56 - Jul 15 with 4101 viewsportmanking

Potentially another classic example of why it's increasingly better to be a big fish in a small pond at a young age. Had Knight stayed with Town and ripped it up for a few seasons, he would arguably have more potential to compete for top-flight first teams than graduating straight from the City Academy.

C'est la vie.
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:09 - Jul 15 with 4005 viewsuefacup81

Given your rich and storied history of posting absolute BS, would you care to add a source to that?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:11 - Jul 15 with 3990 viewsLibero

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:09 - Jul 15 by uefacup81

Given your rich and storied history of posting absolute BS, would you care to add a source to that?

Looks to me like it's potentially come from the Atheltic's Man City correspondent, Sam Lee.

https://theathletic.co.uk/author/sam-lee/
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:14 - Jul 15 with 3948 viewssparks

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 14:56 - Jul 15 by portmanking

Potentially another classic example of why it's increasingly better to be a big fish in a small pond at a young age. Had Knight stayed with Town and ripped it up for a few seasons, he would arguably have more potential to compete for top-flight first teams than graduating straight from the City Academy.

C'est la vie.

Absolutely.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:25 - Jul 15 with 3897 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

C'est la vie.

It’s not though, statistically you are much more likely to make it at some level in the pro game from the academy of a bigger club

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:27 - Jul 15 with 3888 viewsLibero

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:25 - Jul 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s not though, statistically you are much more likely to make it at some level in the pro game from the academy of a bigger club

I think there's merit in both views.

Ultimately what was offered to Knight and his family was staggering, life changing really.
You'd be hard pressed to find a regular family who would reject that kind of opportunity for their son or daughter.
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:28 - Jul 15 with 3888 viewsDubtractor

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:25 - Jul 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I was going to say similar.

You're starting from the highest point so have plenty of stops on the way down if it doesn't work out.

See Lee Martin as an example of this, vs for example the current prospects for Dozzell.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:34 - Jul 15 with 3832 viewsBasuco

C'est la vie.

I would say that training and playing along side players who are equal or better than you are is the best way to push you to a higher level. If you have got the talent to rise to that challenge you will thrive. But it must be really difficult to go from being top dog to being an ordinary player.
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:02 - Jul 15 with 3705 viewsitfcjoe

C'est la vie.

Had Knight stayed at ITFC he'd have not been in the first team here and potentially never making it into the first team

He's secured his future in both financial and footballing terms by signing a long deal at City, something he wouldn't have been able to do here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:07 - Jul 15 with 3658 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:02 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

Had Knight stayed at ITFC he'd have not been in the first team here and potentially never making it into the first team

He's secured his future in both financial and footballing terms by signing a long deal at City, something he wouldn't have been able to do here

Any idea what sort of deal he picked up?

I agree with others, even if he moves on without making the grade at city, there will be plenty of clubs in a better position than us sniffing around.

There are loads of players who didnt make the grade at City and have made a decent career since. (I bet Emyr Huws has a healthy bank balance).

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:37 - Jul 15 with 3510 viewssparks

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:34 - Jul 15 by Basuco

I would say that training and playing along side players who are equal or better than you are is the best way to push you to a higher level. If you have got the talent to rise to that challenge you will thrive. But it must be really difficult to go from being top dog to being an ordinary player.

In principle- yes. In practice, the players around him have been full of ability, but playing in the rarified atmosphere of prem U23s.

Playing in a competitive environment counts for a lot- and would often be against players who are better, all round, than those academy kids.

It takes time to learn how to look after yourself on a football pitch.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:46 - Jul 15 with 3482 viewsportmanking

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:02 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

I don't dispute whatsoever that it makes complete sense from a financial perspective.

I do dispute that Academy football is better than playing competitively in League One and the benefits that come from playing for three points week in, week out. If Knight is as good a prospect as Klug says he is, surely at the age of 18 we would have been looking at him playing a reasonable role in 2020/21?
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:48 - Jul 15 with 3474 viewsflimflam

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 15:27 - Jul 15 by Libero

I think there's merit in both views.

Ultimately what was offered to Knight and his family was staggering, life changing really.
You'd be hard pressed to find a regular family who would reject that kind of opportunity for their son or daughter.

I was told Pochettino came up in person as wanted him to sign so badly for Spurs but ultimately money talks and off he went to City. Not sure how true that is.

At the end of the day the parents have invested a lot of time and travel and I am guessing they will not have a mortgage to pay anymore at the very least. The money was on the table to set them up for life and who knows that a serious injury was not just around the corner for Ben and then thats game over.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:48 - Jul 15 with 3474 viewsitfcjoe

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:07 - Jul 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Any idea what sort of deal he picked up?

I agree with others, even if he moves on without making the grade at city, there will be plenty of clubs in a better position than us sniffing around.

There are loads of players who didnt make the grade at City and have made a decent career since. (I bet Emyr Huws has a healthy bank balance).

You hear the rumours of a 7 figure signing on fee, and they probably aren't that far wide off the mark.

His deal would have been a 4 year one at a level which would have made him one of, if not, our highest paid player - he's a long way from that here but it is chicken feed up there

Also, now in a position that when he gets put out on loan he will have a super powerful club dictating that he has to play x games or heavy penalty fees etc. It's a no brainer move for kids like that unless their previous cluibs can guarantee them first team football at a young age, which we haven't even been able to do for Dozzell

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:49 - Jul 15 with 3466 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:48 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

You hear the rumours of a 7 figure signing on fee, and they probably aren't that far wide off the mark.

His deal would have been a 4 year one at a level which would have made him one of, if not, our highest paid player - he's a long way from that here but it is chicken feed up there

Also, now in a position that when he gets put out on loan he will have a super powerful club dictating that he has to play x games or heavy penalty fees etc. It's a no brainer move for kids like that unless their previous cluibs can guarantee them first team football at a young age, which we haven't even been able to do for Dozzell

Crikey. Yes, can totally understand the move.

...and aside from the financial benefits, its one hell of an education.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:52 - Jul 15 with 3456 viewsMattinLondon

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:46 - Jul 15 by portmanking

I don't dispute whatsoever that it makes complete sense from a financial perspective.

I do dispute that Academy football is better than playing competitively in League One and the benefits that come from playing for three points week in, week out. If Knight is as good a prospect as Klug says he is, surely at the age of 18 we would have been looking at him playing a reasonable role in 2020/21?

Competitive league football is much better than Academy football. Possibly that’s why the big clubs want their U21 teams to be in L1 or L2 like they are on the continent.
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:02 - Jul 15 with 3402 viewsitfcjoe

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:46 - Jul 15 by portmanking

I think the type of player he is would have struggled to make an impact here - how many 8 stone, 5'8 attacking midfielders are going to make any impact in L1?

For all his talent that he showed on ocassion, there were games like Youth Cup game v Blackpool U18s (when he was an U16) that he just got bullied out of, he wasn't the profile or type of polayer that was going to transition to 1st team football early like some do, an obvious example someone like Connor Wickham.

He could easily have stayed behind likes of El Mizouni who physically has really kicked on as well as being a fantastic player. Zak Brown was an England U16 international but now finds himself behind Tyreece Simpson who is a year younger than him.

It's difficult to hang around when the offer is there and think for the player he is it was probably the right decision

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:04 - Jul 15 with 3388 viewsitfcjoe

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 16:48 - Jul 15 by flimflam

I was told Pochettino came up in person as wanted him to sign so badly for Spurs but ultimately money talks and off he went to City. Not sure how true that is.

At the end of the day the parents have invested a lot of time and travel and I am guessing they will not have a mortgage to pay anymore at the very least. The money was on the table to set them up for life and who knows that a serious injury was not just around the corner for Ben and then thats game over.

I don't think it is money talking, Spurs offered us more than Man City, and sure they'd have matched what was on offer there - but they had shown the greatest interest for the longest time and obviously impressed him and his family

Players who have every club after them at that age don't need to chase money, they chase the career

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:17 - Jul 15 with 3328 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Shock horror, Young’s talent lured to big bright lights of a club to have their own light ‘dimmed’ before even making a first team appearance.

Yet another example there isn’t that pathway when these clubs want to biggest superstars ready made.

The same will happen with Charlie Brown, the same will happen will Marcelo Flores, just as it has happened with Kundai Benyu.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:17 - Jul 15 with 3327 viewsMattinLondon

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:04 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

I don't think it is money talking, Spurs offered us more than Man City, and sure they'd have matched what was on offer there - but they had shown the greatest interest for the longest time and obviously impressed him and his family

Players who have every club after them at that age don't need to chase money, they chase the career

Is it fairly common for a player to create as much interest as what Ben Knights did? Obviously we won’t hear about it if the smaller club is for example Yeovil.

Do you know how well the other players are doing who left us- think a couple went to arsenal and Chelsea?
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:21 - Jul 15 with 3307 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

That’s more of a reflection on Andre Dozzell than it is on us in that instance.

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:23 - Jul 15 with 3294 viewsLibero

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:17 - Jul 15 by TheTrueBlue1878

Shock horror, Young’s talent lured to big bright lights of a club to have their own light ‘dimmed’ before even making a first team appearance.

Yet another example there isn’t that pathway when these clubs want to biggest superstars ready made.

The same will happen with Charlie Brown, the same will happen will Marcelo Flores, just as it has happened with Kundai Benyu.

You really cannot group Benyu with the players you have, completely different case.
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:24 - Jul 15 with 3289 viewsMattinLondon

If he hadn’t have had quite a serious injury early in his career, Dozzell might well have played a lot more games for the first team.
Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 18:16 - Jul 15 with 3128 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Insight on Ben Knight at Man City on 17:23 - Jul 15 by Libero

You really cannot group Benyu with the players you have, completely different case.

Why not...? The principle is the same, going to big clubs, get lost in the fog.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024