Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue 13:11 - Jul 31 with 3132 viewsitfcjoe

ANyone driven around Ipswich much over last few weeks, there are just bollards everywhere and new cycle lanes, which are a pain in the backside for the drivers (and the ambulances and fire engines getting around the bypass)

I went down to Portman Road today, which is now closed at the Princes Street entrance up until Sir Alf Ramsey Way for cars, and there is the bollards the whole way up the road now so no parking there at all to go to the shop - apparently they were unaware this was being done which isn't a great look from the council.

So anyone wanting to pop to the shop, you now have to pay to park in the big car park there rather than street parking which is a pain.

Also, I tried to get the home shirt for both my boys - but it's not available. Not able to pre order it now as that period is closed, but not able to buy it as that period isn't open. "Come back next week, but maybe at the end of the week as might not be ready".

I'm not Jeff Bezos, but if someone is in your shop wanting to spend £100 you make sure they don't leave without taking their money of them surely?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:20 - Jul 31 with 3071 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This is typical of the Evans era unfortunately.

As you say, next week they will have £100 worth of shirts there for you which you may now have spent elsewhere.

Just take your money, reserve them for you. It really doesn't affect anything other than diminishes the stock levels by two. Two shirts they were then going to try to sell, to someone like you, for the same amount you were willing to pay!

Utter madness.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:23 - Jul 31 with 3056 viewsitfcjoe

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:20 - Jul 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

As you say, next week they will have £100 worth of shirts there for you which you may now have spent elsewhere.

Just take your money, reserve them for you. It really doesn't affect anything other than diminishes the stock levels by two. Two shirts they were then going to try to sell, to someone like you, for the same amount you were willing to pay!

Utter madness.

The problem with it is that I am effectively a captive audience, because they weren't there I'm not going to spend it on a West Ham shirt instead......but they take that to the extreme at times and forget that I'm still a customer and the rules still apply.

I could have pre-ordered it, but didn't because when i went to do so there was a £4-6 postage charge as they said they couldn't do in store collections, even though the shop was open at the time....

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:25 - Jul 31 with 3032 viewsJ2BLUE

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:20 - Jul 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Utter madness.

Don't worry, our next owner will probably be better at selling Sports stuff Direct to fans.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:47 - Jul 31 with 2975 viewsLibero

Yeah, I can't go into too much detail but lets just say the fella who green lit that is getting a bit of heat for it (amongst other things)

Peter Crouch wasn't wrong, never trust Karl's with a K.
The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:56 - Jul 31 with 2941 viewsitfcjoe

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:47 - Jul 31 by Libero

Yeah, I can't go into too much detail but lets just say the fella who green lit that is getting a bit of heat for it (amongst other things)

I've twice seen Ambulances struggling to get down valley Road this week, there is nowhere for the cars to go when they come because of how the bollards are positioned - they look ugly as sin as well

The Portman Road ones will last one game when both sets of fans are there!

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 14:30 - Jul 31 with 2872 viewsBaggio_is_magic

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:56 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

I've twice seen Ambulances struggling to get down valley Road this week, there is nowhere for the cars to go when they come because of how the bollards are positioned - they look ugly as sin as well

They also aren’t positioned well as you approach the roundabouts. I have now seen two near misses from cars swerving the same bollard on the roundabout which connects Valley Rd and Westerfield Rd.
The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 14:59 - Jul 31 with 2808 viewsitfcjoe

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 14:30 - Jul 31 by Baggio_is_magic

They also aren’t positioned well as you approach the roundabouts. I have now seen two near misses from cars swerving the same bollard on the roundabout which connects Valley Rd and Westerfield Rd.

It's still on the old layout, so you go in the outside lane around the roundabout to go straight then all of a sudden there are bollards in the way

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:13 - Jul 31 with 2788 viewsEastTownBlue

Taking out the filter lane on Bixley Road for the right turn to Broke Hall is rather poor judgement.
Login to get fewer ads

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:24 - Jul 31 with 2751 viewsJ2BLUE

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:13 - Jul 31 by EastTownBlue

Taking out the filter lane on Bixley Road for the right turn to Broke Hall is rather poor judgement.

Agreed. Bloody stupid. Now if you want to turn right you block the entire lane.

Apparently Broke Hall residents are trying to make it left turn only out of Ashdown Way on to Bixley Road to prevent it getting backed up.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:30 - Jul 31 with 2721 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:56 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

Same on Bixley Road. The positioning at this end of town makes no sense either - using Heath Road heading towards Bixley Road as an example, the bollards are on Heath Road but then stop when an extra lane is needed approaching the roundabout, and then start again on Bixley after the roundabout. But for a cyclist the roundabout is surely the biggest risk

I’m all for improving cycling infrastructure but if it’s going to be done it needs proper investment and thought, not some half-a*sed bollards which offer no benefit and just make things worse for cars!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:48 - Jul 31 with 2679 viewsitfcjoe

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:30 - Jul 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Same on Bixley Road. The positioning at this end of town makes no sense either - using Heath Road heading towards Bixley Road as an example, the bollards are on Heath Road but then stop when an extra lane is needed approaching the roundabout, and then start again on Bixley after the roundabout. But for a cyclist the roundabout is surely the biggest risk

I’m all for improving cycling infrastructure but if it’s going to be done it needs proper investment and thought, not some half-a*sed bollards which offer no benefit and just make things worse for cars!

That's because they just spent months sorting that roundabout so too soon to undo it - that didn't worry them at the Sidegate Lane roundabout!

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 17:27 - Jul 31 with 2560 viewsTractorWood

Is this the same club shop that stops selling tickets just before games? Aka the one time people want to buy tickets in person.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 22:28 - Jul 31 with 2399 viewsstonojnr

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 13:47 - Jul 31 by Libero

its government policy now, so the fella that green lit it lives in Number 10 downing street, hes called Boris, you might have heard of him, he likes cycling, and I think he trumps any local NIMBY moaners who cant drive their gas guzzling 4x4s everywhere they please anymore.

and good on them, for too long weve spent billions pursuing this motorcentric vision such that people feel the only & best options they have is to drive everywhere

as in this case just to buy a football shirt from Planet Blue,someone chose to drive there just to park outside the shop, because it used to be more conveniant than spend £4.60 on postage.

£4.60, thats barely 1 and a bit pints of Ghost ship,
The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 22:42 - Jul 31 with 2378 viewsstonojnr

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 15:30 - Jul 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I dont recall any bollards on Heath Rd/Bixley road near any roundabouts, there are some bollards on the Ashdown Way junction, but that is only part of cycle infra on the left turn out of Ashdown way as it provides a clear path for cyclists to get to the junction and turn left.

theres a 1.5metre cycle lane thats been painted, seems ok to me. Whilst roundabouts are the biggest risk the only way to fix them is to dutchify them as per this https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/video-how-to-use-the-uk-s-first-dutc but it costs best part of a million pounds, and these schemes dont have that kind of money...yet.

the bollards provide lots of benefit, they guarantee people in metal boxes that can crush and kill you if they hit you, stay away from you, it means people who arent confident riding 6inches away from a 40tonne truck can feel safer riding a bike.

the bollards are temporary, and cheap as chips, and are there just to prove whether the guaranteed safety they provide is beneficial, if they are theyll be converted into permanent schemes with kerbing and painted lanes, like you see in London, or Manchester now, or most of Holland who go with this stuff more than 40 years ago. If they arent, theyll be removed and you can sit nose to tail in another traffic jam caused by people driving instead, cars ultimately make things worse for cars, its the car in front holding you up, not the cyclist in a cycling lane next to you.
The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 00:04 - Aug 1 with 2313 viewsFreddies_Ears

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 22:42 - Jul 31 by stonojnr

I dont recall any bollards on Heath Rd/Bixley road near any roundabouts, there are some bollards on the Ashdown Way junction, but that is only part of cycle infra on the left turn out of Ashdown way as it provides a clear path for cyclists to get to the junction and turn left.

theres a 1.5metre cycle lane thats been painted, seems ok to me. Whilst roundabouts are the biggest risk the only way to fix them is to dutchify them as per this https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/video-how-to-use-the-uk-s-first-dutc but it costs best part of a million pounds, and these schemes dont have that kind of money...yet.

the bollards provide lots of benefit, they guarantee people in metal boxes that can crush and kill you if they hit you, stay away from you, it means people who arent confident riding 6inches away from a 40tonne truck can feel safer riding a bike.

the bollards are temporary, and cheap as chips, and are there just to prove whether the guaranteed safety they provide is beneficial, if they are theyll be converted into permanent schemes with kerbing and painted lanes, like you see in London, or Manchester now, or most of Holland who go with this stuff more than 40 years ago. If they arent, theyll be removed and you can sit nose to tail in another traffic jam caused by people driving instead, cars ultimately make things worse for cars, its the car in front holding you up, not the cyclist in a cycling lane next to you.

Short reply to an excellent long post. I really want to cycle in and around Ipswich. I won't do it until I feel safe - I am a confident cyclist but there are too many idiots in cars who show no respect, deliberately or otherwise. The changes so far aren't quite enough to get me cycling - doesn't yet cover enough of the difficult bits of road I'd need, from east Ipswich into and around town, but I am optimistic that it'll happen within a few months.

This afternoon I drove around this side of town for about an hour, doing various errands. It wouldn't have taken much longer on a bicycle, and, with improving cycle infrastructure, there's a chance my car might be one less on the roads in the future.
The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 01:09 - Aug 1 with 2264 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 22:42 - Jul 31 by stonojnr

I’m talking about Heath Road coming from the hospital, heading towards Bixley Road, not the Ashdown Way end of Bixley. There are bollards there (or at least were when I headed down there a couple of days ago)

Not really sure why you’ve got the hump so much - the idea of improving cycling infrastructure is a good one however the actual changes that have been made are by and large pointless at best and at worst have made things worse for everyone, so if they really are a trial then it’s doomed to fail. Even the poster that has agreed with you has seemingly acknowledged that there isn’t enough that has been done to actually encourage cycling

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 06:33 - Aug 1 with 2171 viewsbluelagos

The new cycle lanes around Ipswich, and the Planet Blue on 00:04 - Aug 1 by Freddies_Ears

Short reply to an excellent long post. I really want to cycle in and around Ipswich. I won't do it until I feel safe - I am a confident cyclist but there are too many idiots in cars who show no respect, deliberately or otherwise. The changes so far aren't quite enough to get me cycling - doesn't yet cover enough of the difficult bits of road I'd need, from east Ipswich into and around town, but I am optimistic that it'll happen within a few months.

This afternoon I drove around this side of town for about an hour, doing various errands. It wouldn't have taken much longer on a bicycle, and, with improving cycle infrastructure, there's a chance my car might be one less on the roads in the future.

Many Ipswich car drivers do seem to struggle with cyclists. Many other cities the cyclist is rightly given priority at many junctions, cycle lanes etc. The critical mass means cars get used to them , some even checking their mirrors occasionally.

I'd encourage you to give it a go, the more we use the roads the easier it becomes. I genuinely think I will be able to beat car drivers back to the pub on a matchday (about 10 miles). Will give it a go for sure :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024