Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Get back to the office' they said... 10:43 - Sep 17 with 7048 viewsuefacup81

Well that looks to have lasted all of five minutes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-work-home-office-clo

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 10:51 - Sep 17 with 3982 viewsSwansea_Blue

I liked how they were subsidising people to go out to the pubs and now they're blaming people going to pubs for the surge in cases.

There are some spectacular levels of doublethink (or just plain stupidity) on show at the moment.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 10:58 - Sep 17 with 3938 viewsgiant_stow

'Get back to the office' they said... on 10:51 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

I liked how they were subsidising people to go out to the pubs and now they're blaming people going to pubs for the surge in cases.

There are some spectacular levels of doublethink (or just plain stupidity) on show at the moment.

it'd be nice to think they'll be some kind of reckonning when this sh1tshow is all over, but I spose thats pie in the sky.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:01 - Sep 17 with 3918 viewshomer_123

Given nothing has materially changed with Covid (it's still there, we don't have a cure etc etc, it's still contagious) what 'exactly' are people expecting when we relax things?

How can returning to school or work not increase numbers?

How would the Eat out Scheme not result in helping with the increase in numbers?

What do people think will happen when we let 1,000 go to a football match?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:01 - Sep 17 with 3916 viewsEly_Blue

Indeed they were subsidising people to go to pubs and restaurants

They were also still expecting people to observe social distancing guidance, I suppose it’s the governments fault if people are too thick to keep to the advice such as this?

I guess your going to blame the government for opening up travel corridors but then closing them from high risk countries but not advising people to isolate on return? Oh wait they did advise quarantine on return.... another one that the great people of this country ignored in their masses.

Ffs some people need to take some responsibility rather than expecting their backsides to be wiped at every turn

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:02 - Sep 17 with 3911 viewsSwansea_Blue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 10:58 - Sep 17 by giant_stow

it'd be nice to think they'll be some kind of reckonning when this sh1tshow is all over, but I spose thats pie in the sky.

Almost certainly pie in the sky. A nice comfy seat in the Lords, a £multi-hundred salary to sit on a board somewhere. That's the more likely outcome for these incompetents (and it's not a problem unique to the Tories, even if they are the best at it).

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:04 - Sep 17 with 3899 viewsDanTheMan

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:01 - Sep 17 by Ely_Blue

They were also still expecting people to observe social distancing guidance, I suppose it’s the governments fault if people are too thick to keep to the advice such as this?

I guess your going to blame the government for opening up travel corridors but then closing them from high risk countries but not advising people to isolate on return? Oh wait they did advise quarantine on return.... another one that the great people of this country ignored in their masses.

Ffs some people need to take some responsibility rather than expecting their backsides to be wiped at every turn

I think people do need to take responsibility.

However for things like working and schools, if they say you should be going back, then it's not really up to people, especially if they are told to come in.

Little bit different to a holiday.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:05 - Sep 17 with 3888 viewshomer_123

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:04 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

However for things like working and schools, if they say you should be going back, then it's not really up to people, especially if they are told to come in.

Piece on the R4 yesterday. School Heads are looking at whether they can 'stop' teachers going abroad during half term....as many might have to quarantine on their return.

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:08 - Sep 17 with 3878 viewsEly_Blue

I don’t disagree with that but the poster specifically tried to lay the blame at the govt for encouraging people to eat out.

As the father of a child who has just gone back to school from what I’ve seen the schools are doing their best to minimise the risks and they are putting as many measures in place with year bubbles etc to try and mitigate these risks.

Again employers need to take some responsibility in the same way the schools are doing to try and mitigate risks.

I visited a customer in their office a few days ago and it was mandatory for mask wearing, temperature checks and recording before you were even allowed on to site, it wasn’t much of an inconvenience and the temp check took all of 10 seconds, surely it’s not so hard for people to put these measures in place to at least reduce some risks?

Login to get fewer ads

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:09 - Sep 17 with 3878 viewsSwansea_Blue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:01 - Sep 17 by Ely_Blue

It's pretty inevitable that mixing people is going to increase the risk of transmission, especially in closed spaces. Throw in alcohol and it's about as bleedin obvious as you can get.

Leaving it down to the people is a recipe for disaster when we have so many nutters around who think it's a hoax or that masks are muzzles or that Bill Gates invented Covid because he'd already made a vaccine. Sometimes the people have to be saved from themselves - I'd say this is a rare time when we did need stronger government. Same with quarantine - no good advising it when people would be losing their salary when they quarantine. We needed a stricter system as many other countries had, with safeguards in place to soften the financial loss and inconvenience of being made to quarantine.

They're just passing the buck over and over.

Edit - We need both. Competent, strong leadership and people taking some responsibility by adhering to guidelines (although there's a problem there when guidelines aren't clear) and not being sucked in to all the conspiracy nonsense being spread around.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 11:17]

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:11 - Sep 17 with 3869 viewsStokieBlue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:05 - Sep 17 by homer_123

Piece on the R4 yesterday. School Heads are looking at whether they can 'stop' teachers going abroad during half term....as many might have to quarantine on their return.

Do they need to go abroad?

I cancelled two holidays abroad thus far as it's the sensible thing to do.

I don't think they should be forced by the school to not go abroad, that is wrong, just perhaps everyone can take a bit of personal responsibility for the greater good?

It's an extraordinary situation and thus people should treat it as such. There seems very little good that can come for the general cause in going abroad. It's just another risk factor to bring into all the calculations.

I fully accept that the intended fuzziness around the rules from the government doesn't help at all.

SB
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 11:11]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:15 - Sep 17 with 3829 viewsDanTheMan

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:08 - Sep 17 by Ely_Blue

I don’t disagree with that but the poster specifically tried to lay the blame at the govt for encouraging people to eat out.

As the father of a child who has just gone back to school from what I’ve seen the schools are doing their best to minimise the risks and they are putting as many measures in place with year bubbles etc to try and mitigate these risks.

Again employers need to take some responsibility in the same way the schools are doing to try and mitigate risks.

I visited a customer in their office a few days ago and it was mandatory for mask wearing, temperature checks and recording before you were even allowed on to site, it wasn’t much of an inconvenience and the temp check took all of 10 seconds, surely it’s not so hard for people to put these measures in place to at least reduce some risks?

But they DID encourage people to eat out, I don't think they ever did that with holidays. Sure they didn't you couldn't go but I don't think they ever encouraged people.

Whereas we had Government ministers touting "Eat out to help out". I mean even the name suggests by doing this you are helping.

So that one is on the Government.

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:22 - Sep 17 with 3775 viewsthebooks

I think it's about them getting the balance right. If you encourage people to eat out there will obviously be a rise in transmissions, regardless of how individuals act. Same with schools going back.

The problem is if you don't have a properly-functioning testing and tracing system in place it's hard to manage the resulting increase in infections.

I'm not sure whether the eating out thing was a good idea, but sending kids back to school definitely was (IMO). They just seem to be pulling in different directions – the chancellor appears to be more hawkish than, say, the PM, and this encourages a more laissez-faire attitude from some businesses than, say, schools.

The main problem for me is that they are just ideologically wrong for this situation. A weird mix of Tory amateurism, libertarianism and free market extremists is not what we need now.
'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:24 - Sep 17 with 3760 viewsEly_Blue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:15 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

But they DID encourage people to eat out, I don't think they ever did that with holidays. Sure they didn't you couldn't go but I don't think they ever encouraged people.

Whereas we had Government ministers touting "Eat out to help out". I mean even the name suggests by doing this you are helping.

So that one is on the Government.

Possible slightly worded incorrectly in my original reply. Yes the govt did advise people to eat out to help out, they didn’t advise people to pack like sardines into pubs and drink themselves stupid though did they?

The government advised people to go back to the high street, the hairdressers, the gym etc but I don’t see any of this being blamed, why? Because people seem to be able to stick to the rules in these places, why single out eat out to help out?

Did you partake in eat out to help out?

Was it any more crowded than the supermarket you go to for your groceries?

Everywhere I went had reduced table numbers and robust systems in place, also these places were subject to random inspections as they still are and if the guidelines aren’t being followed they can be forced to close
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 11:28]

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:35 - Sep 17 with 3717 viewshomer_123

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:11 - Sep 17 by StokieBlue

Do they need to go abroad?

I cancelled two holidays abroad thus far as it's the sensible thing to do.

I don't think they should be forced by the school to not go abroad, that is wrong, just perhaps everyone can take a bit of personal responsibility for the greater good?

It's an extraordinary situation and thus people should treat it as such. There seems very little good that can come for the general cause in going abroad. It's just another risk factor to bring into all the calculations.

I fully accept that the intended fuzziness around the rules from the government doesn't help at all.

SB
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 11:11]

I with you SB, they absolutely should not be forced to 'not go abroad' but you hope they would choose not to right now.

The suggestion yesterday was that they were looking at that option as they understood a number of teachers were planning to go abroad.

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:37 - Sep 17 with 3708 viewsbrazil1982

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:01 - Sep 17 by homer_123

Given nothing has materially changed with Covid (it's still there, we don't have a cure etc etc, it's still contagious) what 'exactly' are people expecting when we relax things?

How can returning to school or work not increase numbers?

How would the Eat out Scheme not result in helping with the increase in numbers?

What do people think will happen when we let 1,000 go to a football match?

We all stay at home then?
'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:53 - Sep 17 with 3631 viewsSwansea_Blue

They didn't just encourage people to go to pubs/restaurants/bars, they contributed to the cost.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/eat-out-to-help-out-launches-today-with-gover

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/boris-johnson-says-people-sh

Etc., etc. It's complex as there's a need to try to support communities and the hospitality sector. But it was widely pointed out at the time that this would increase the risk of more transmission. And the Government need to own that and say it was a decision they thought worth taking, not blame the public for the inevitable downside of their flagship summer programme.

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:02 - Sep 17 with 3604 viewshomer_123

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:37 - Sep 17 by brazil1982

We all stay at home then?

Well, given the utter lack of testing availability - might that not be a bad idea until we do?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:11 - Sep 17 with 3579 viewsEly_Blue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:53 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

They didn't just encourage people to go to pubs/restaurants/bars, they contributed to the cost.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/eat-out-to-help-out-launches-today-with-gover

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/boris-johnson-says-people-sh

Etc., etc. It's complex as there's a need to try to support communities and the hospitality sector. But it was widely pointed out at the time that this would increase the risk of more transmission. And the Government need to own that and say it was a decision they thought worth taking, not blame the public for the inevitable downside of their flagship summer programme.

Funny how this started on 1st August but none of the issues with excess cases seems to have arisen until AFTER this scheme ends when less people are in pubs/restaurants because kids have gone back to school, you need to try harder with what you are trying to pin this on

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:13 - Sep 17 with 3551 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

And this is it isn't it?

Some people have acted irresponsibly and it is doubly unfortunate that some of those irresponsible people are at the heart of our government.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:14 - Sep 17 with 3538 viewsDanTheMan

'Get back to the office' they said... on 11:24 - Sep 17 by Ely_Blue

Possible slightly worded incorrectly in my original reply. Yes the govt did advise people to eat out to help out, they didn’t advise people to pack like sardines into pubs and drink themselves stupid though did they?

The government advised people to go back to the high street, the hairdressers, the gym etc but I don’t see any of this being blamed, why? Because people seem to be able to stick to the rules in these places, why single out eat out to help out?

Did you partake in eat out to help out?

Was it any more crowded than the supermarket you go to for your groceries?

Everywhere I went had reduced table numbers and robust systems in place, also these places were subject to random inspections as they still are and if the guidelines aren’t being followed they can be forced to close
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 11:28]

"The government advised people to go back to the high street, the hairdressers, the gym etc but I don’t see any of this being blamed, why? Because people seem to be able to stick to the rules in these places, why single out eat out to help out?"

I single that out because it was a specific Government encouraged scheme. In particular I would note that you cannot have a mask on whilst eating and drinking which you could potentially do at the other places mentioned. If you are in a room, no matter how good the social distancing is, the risk of transmission is higher.

"Did you partake in eat out to help out?"

No. We also do shopping online (and have done since before lockdown) so I couldn't comment. Again though, I imagine most people are wearing masks which for me is a key difference.

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:14 - Sep 17 with 3537 viewsLankHenners

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:11 - Sep 17 by Ely_Blue

Funny how this started on 1st August but none of the issues with excess cases seems to have arisen until AFTER this scheme ends when less people are in pubs/restaurants because kids have gone back to school, you need to try harder with what you are trying to pin this on

Cases were rising all through August.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:28 - Sep 17 with 3468 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:11 - Sep 17 by Ely_Blue

Of course it mainly happens after. That’s how this thing works. Weekly increase in numbers starting 18/7 in England
25/7 4225
1/8 4932
8/8 5254
15/8 6924
22/8 6271
29/8 6958
5/9 9569
12/9 18,213

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:29 - Sep 17 with 3452 viewsEly_Blue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:14 - Sep 17 by LankHenners

Ah yes you mean the data that tells me that there are 250 more cases per day between Aug 1st and 29th on the 7 day rolling average but since 29th August they have increased 4 fold....... let’s blame it all on people getting a cheap meal in the pub shall we?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:30 - Sep 17 with 3450 viewsWeWereZombies

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:14 - Sep 17 by LankHenners

Rising, but not so much as they are now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:33 - Sep 17 with 3437 viewsEly_Blue

'Get back to the office' they said... on 12:30 - Sep 17 by WeWereZombies

Rising, but not so much as they are now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Thank you, at last someone who sees the same data as me

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The graph is there for all to see

It’s just as likely to be people coming back from their summer holidays in the last week before school returned and never quarantined that are the cause of such a spread.

Or maybe it’s the schools sending more people to get a test where 3 weeks ago people weren’t getting tested
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 12:33]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024