Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 17:07 - Sep 22 with 746 viewsuefacup81

I hope that this is vague enough, Phil!

I was chatting to a mate at the weekend who had been working on Soccer Aid, and had been able to chat with staff from various football clubs around the country who had been brought in to help.

He was told of a couple of PL footballers, who have played for their respective countries, but have shaky injury records at best. Apparently these players aren't injured all the time, but have big-time substance abuse problems. Because injured players aren't subject to drug testing, their clubs report them as injured when they're back off the wagon, in order to dodge the testers.

Rather than bin them off, or force them to undergo rehab etc., their clubs put up with the situation purely because, when they do manage to play, the players in question are good enough to be worth having not play for large chunks of the season.

I despair.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 17:12]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:09 - Sep 22 with 727 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't injured players get randomly tested then? Unless they mean alcohol.

Not sure I believe that to be honest. Secrets like that don't stay hidden.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:11 - Sep 22 with 711 viewsuefacup81

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:09 - Sep 22 by J2BLUE

Ah yes, I forgot that bit - sorry!

Apparently the frequent injuries are because injured players don't get tested. So when they're back on the stuff, they develop mysterious injuries which mean they don't have to undertake testing. I've edited the original.

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:14 - Sep 22 with 679 viewsEdmundo

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:11 - Sep 22 by uefacup81

Ah yes, I forgot that bit - sorry!

Apparently the frequent injuries are because injured players don't get tested. So when they're back on the stuff, they develop mysterious injuries which mean they don't have to undertake testing. I've edited the original.

Jeez, does that mean most of our players have been on the bizzo for years?!

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:15 - Sep 22 with 681 viewsJakeITFC

Rumours of that sort have followed a certain London based midfield player since he burst onto the scene, and whilst there probably have been times that players have been protected by their clubs for drugs or whatever else, it seems weird that they’d continue to do it and mask it as injury (especially when some of the injuries are on the pitch ones).
Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:16 - Sep 22 with 668 viewsuefacup81

As for the secrecy surrounding it, if you put the term "[player name] drugs" into Google, it seems that there have been a fair few rumours of this down the years already.

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 17:24 - Sep 22 with 633 viewsBlueBadger

F*ck me, does this mean that we essentially have a resident dealer at ITFC, given how frequently our long-termer break down?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Modern Football is Borked - ep. 2,670 on 11:52 - Sep 23 with 446 viewsglasso

You'd be amazed at how many secrets do stay hidden.

I know someone whose business means he deals with lots of Prem players (and other celebs) and it kind of morphed from him being just their contact for this business thing, into being a kind of 'fixer' for them and their agents.

A year or so back, he got a call in the middle of the night from an agent who needed his help because his player, who was blind drunk, had crashed his Ferrari and 'needed it gone'.

The guy I know had to find a tow truck, pick up the car and get it out of the country before anyone noticed.

When you've got people willing to pay big money and people willing to take it, you can keep secrets.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024