Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time 15:07 - Nov 10 with 9735 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I appreciate some don't like his stand up - I don't know why myself, but humour is subjective. But it's interesting some of those people still love other things like The Office, Extras, Derek, After Life...

I've loved them all, but in different ways. I didn't really enjoy The Office initially, but when you look back it's a brilliant bit of writing. It's subtle, a lot of it, which is why I don't think I initially got the humour. It's weird to say that because now I don't think it's that subtle.

Extras is funny because it's such big stars being self deprecating, which was refreshing at the time. The Les Dennis stuff is incredible. You don't know whether to laugh or cry because it's so near the bone.

I literally did laugh and cry at Derek. After Life I'm not so enamoured with, but I imagine I'll love it in time given what's happened before.

The Golden Globes stuff puncturing the egos of the rich and famous is brilliant too.

Just been watching this with Lawrence Krauss. I'm still agnostic but the logic of both is impeccable.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 10 with 3628 viewsAlan_Handsome

Genius? A man who does M O N G jokes....genius?
[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 15:22]

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 10 with 3624 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:22 - Nov 10 with 3618 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 10 by Alan_Handsome

This is why I only watched one episode of Derek. It was basically 25 minutesof him doing a playground impression of someone with learning difficulties.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:27 - Nov 10 with 3601 viewsSouperJim

I've not loved everything he's done but I think he's got better over time, After Life is up there with Only Fools and Horses for me. Light and shade and all that. I also enjoyed Derek for the same reasons, although I think it's a bit misunderstood as the title character is rarely what's good about the show.

In fact I think I feel that way about all his stuff. Enjoyed The Office, but found Brent difficult to watch. Love The Ricky Gervais Show, but that's all about Karl Pilkington. After Life works because Gervais is much more tolerable when he's deadpan, rather than a grinning squeaky manchild.

So yeah, love what he does, don't particularly like him.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:30 - Nov 10 with 3587 viewsSouperJim

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:22 - Nov 10 by footers

This is why I only watched one episode of Derek. It was basically 25 minutesof him doing a playground impression of someone with learning difficulties.

You've actually missed out because Derek is a great show and really well written. I think a lot of people struggled with it as they had the same initial reaction as you and thought it distasteful, but if you stay the course there is actually a real innocence to the character and he routinely manages situations with more kindness and composure than everyone around him.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:35 - Nov 10 with 3550 viewshomer_123

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:27 - Nov 10 by SouperJim

I've not loved everything he's done but I think he's got better over time, After Life is up there with Only Fools and Horses for me. Light and shade and all that. I also enjoyed Derek for the same reasons, although I think it's a bit misunderstood as the title character is rarely what's good about the show.

In fact I think I feel that way about all his stuff. Enjoyed The Office, but found Brent difficult to watch. Love The Ricky Gervais Show, but that's all about Karl Pilkington. After Life works because Gervais is much more tolerable when he's deadpan, rather than a grinning squeaky manchild.

Yup - After life was really good - like all his stuff - it makes you squirm.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:35 - Nov 10 with 3549 viewsgiant_stow

Oh blimey, this could be fun.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:47 - Nov 10 with 3510 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 10 by Alan_Handsome

I think you've missed the point of a particular joke. He's not Jim Davidson.

Login to get fewer ads

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:50 - Nov 10 with 3495 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:20 - Nov 10 by HARRY10

That's funny and clever. But it's parody. You don't genuinely believe Gervais is a racist, surely?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:53 - Nov 10 with 3485 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:22 - Nov 10 by footers

Again, you've missed the point. If you watched the whole thing it's sensitive and poignant. You've decided to be offended before you've seen the whole thing, That's a reflection of yourself, which is why I think he rubs some people up the wrong way. He holds up a mirror.

If you watch Derek as a whole it's beautiful.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:55 - Nov 10 with 3471 viewsHARRY10

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:50 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

That's funny and clever. But it's parody. You don't genuinely believe Gervais is a racist, surely?

Having met him he really is as odious and creepy off stage as he is in it
I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:55 - Nov 10 with 3473 viewsDubtractor

He has done some decent comedy over the years, but genius? Overstating things massively.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:56 - Nov 10 with 3472 viewsDebsyAngel

I have always liked the bloke - and he was even a good pop star at first. Check out this:

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:58 - Nov 10 with 3465 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:53 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Again, you've missed the point. If you watched the whole thing it's sensitive and poignant. You've decided to be offended before you've seen the whole thing, That's a reflection of yourself, which is why I think he rubs some people up the wrong way. He holds up a mirror.

If you watch Derek as a whole it's beautiful.

Meh. I didn't like it. Comedy is subjective and I found that in bad taste.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:02 - Nov 10 with 3446 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:27 - Nov 10 by SouperJim

Those are fair comments, although it's weird that you love what he does but don't particularly like him. What he does IS him (or an exaggerated version).

When you compare to the humour of say Michael McIntyre, or Miranda, the fact that these characters are difficult to watch is ironically what makes them so compelling.

I don't cry at anything, not even my nan's funeral. The nearest I was to tears at anything on a screen was ET (when I was a kid). And yet there was an episode of Derek where I was crying with laughter one minute and crying with pain the next. That is very rare.

People who say he jokes about mongs haven't dug deep enough, haven't watched the whole thing, or haven't understood.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:05 - Nov 10 with 3423 viewsSpruceMoose

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:02 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Those are fair comments, although it's weird that you love what he does but don't particularly like him. What he does IS him (or an exaggerated version).

When you compare to the humour of say Michael McIntyre, or Miranda, the fact that these characters are difficult to watch is ironically what makes them so compelling.

I don't cry at anything, not even my nan's funeral. The nearest I was to tears at anything on a screen was ET (when I was a kid). And yet there was an episode of Derek where I was crying with laughter one minute and crying with pain the next. That is very rare.

People who say he jokes about mongs haven't dug deep enough, haven't watched the whole thing, or haven't understood.

Maybe they just don't see the same qualities in it that you do. It's not a failing on their behalf. And that's fine. You likes what you likes.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:08 - Nov 10 with 3407 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 15:30 - Nov 10 by SouperJim

You've actually missed out because Derek is a great show and really well written. I think a lot of people struggled with it as they had the same initial reaction as you and thought it distasteful, but if you stay the course there is actually a real innocence to the character and he routinely manages situations with more kindness and composure than everyone around him.

Quite. It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter. Gervais' characters all have a point to them. If you're only getting them superficially then you're not getting them.

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:11 - Nov 10 with 3384 viewsNewcyBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:08 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Quite. It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter. Gervais' characters all have a point to them. If you're only getting them superficially then you're not getting them.

“ It's easy to dismiss if you have a short attention span and are used to soap operas, Tess Daly and twitter”

And you wonder why people think you’re argumentative?

You do realise some people just may not like the guy, or his brand of humour. It’s no reflection of them.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:12 - Nov 10 with 3381 viewsJ2BLUE

My brother is autistic and it was his portrayal of Derek which actually won me around. He absolutely nailed it. The scene with the dog being put down was incredibly. I think he has since denied the character was autistic but i'm not sure why as he played the part so well.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:12 - Nov 10 with 3378 viewsfooters

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:08 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

Superficiality and social media are my middle names. You just can't ever accept someone having a different opinion to you, can you?

But I'll leave you to explain over pages and pages why you are objectively right about something subjective.

[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 16:12]

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:12 - Nov 10 with 3373 viewsSpruceMoose

Come on Dollers, do we really need six pages of you jumping to conclusions about the tastes of other people for not liking what you like?

I loved the office. Never been keen on anything else he's done. I don't watch soap operas, haven't seen Tess Daly on TV since I left the UK and don't use Twitter.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:13 - Nov 10 with 3372 viewsStokieBlue

It's a bit insulting to basically say that if people don't like him then they have short attention spans and thus can't understand the grandeur of his creation but you can of course see it clearly for what it is.

We are talking about other adults here, not kids. People are allowed to dislike things that you think are amazing.

Personally I don't think he's that great, the Office was good but wasn't too keen on much else. Perhaps I have a short attention span and need to watch Transformers Rescue Bots instead as it's more my level.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:13 - Nov 10 with 3360 viewsjeera

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:02 - Nov 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

"it's weird that you love what he does but don't particularly like him. What he does IS him (or an exaggerated version)."

Is that what he says about himself? I haven't followed him enough to know how much there is to that.

Most entertainers tend to separate themselves from their act's persona though don't they?

I can see how someone might enjoy part of someone's act but not like them from what they have seen of them as an individual though.

I cannot abide the squealing Gervais act and couldn't watch Derek, but haven't minded some of his other work.

Whether I'd like him in person, I don't know at all tbh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:14 - Nov 10 with 3364 viewsLankHenners

The Office is one of the funniest programmes broadcast on TV, Extras was pretty good although having Stephen Merchant as an actor in it exposed who the real comedic brain was of the two.

Since his pivot to banging the drum about ‘free speech’ and ‘being offended’ (I blame him for a decent chunk of the people who bang on about ‘pc gone mad’ or ‘cancel culture’) he’s become pretty insufferable.

Can’t comment on Derek but After Life was overrated for me, too much reliance on inappropriate/unexpected swearing and hard to engage with it knowing he wrote it to directly have a go at people who, in his mind, ‘get offended by everything’.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:15 - Nov 10 with 3346 viewsNewcyBlue

I genuinely think Ricky Gervais is one of the geniuses of our time on 16:13 - Nov 10 by StokieBlue

It's a bit insulting to basically say that if people don't like him then they have short attention spans and thus can't understand the grandeur of his creation but you can of course see it clearly for what it is.

We are talking about other adults here, not kids. People are allowed to dislike things that you think are amazing.

Personally I don't think he's that great, the Office was good but wasn't too keen on much else. Perhaps I have a short attention span and need to watch Transformers Rescue Bots instead as it's more my level.

SB

Does Peter Cullen still do the voice for Optimus?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024