Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? 19:00 - Nov 29 with 1426 viewsstiff_talking

Sunderland offered contracts to players ahead of salary cap vote in an effort to strengthen the team to have highest possible advantage. This suggest that they believed the salary cap vote was a real possibility. They have now sacked there manager with nearly a 40 percent win rate. Why because sitting 8th isn’t good enough. Clearly Sunderland want better and are showing ambition. This is with a take over bid circling in the background.

My fear is Evans wants us to stay in League 1 as investment will be much smaller going forward.
This will mean Lambert will stay in the job until we are mathematically certain not to progress his season. And the club will spin it that Evans was being loyal to The manager and the injures killed us! When really there was no intention of going up.

We as fans can’t allow this possibility to be swept under the carpet.
Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:05 - Nov 29 with 1382 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not sure following the example of Sunderland is a good model to look to.

However, Lambert has had 3 good chances over a decent period of time and it is clearly not working. He should be gone and I think he will be before too long. We need to be far more successful than either we or they have been with our next appointment. If anything, they are evidence it is easy to get it wrong.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:13 - Nov 29 with 1335 viewsIpswichKnight

Why on earth would we want to stay in this league? We are unsaleable here only way Marcus will ever get anything back is if we are in the Championship get us promoted and we become a much better proposition to buy.
Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:23 - Nov 29 with 1267 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:13 - Nov 29 by IpswichKnight

Why on earth would we want to stay in this league? We are unsaleable here only way Marcus will ever get anything back is if we are in the Championship get us promoted and we become a much better proposition to buy.

To be fair, now the salary cap is imposed, we probably lose less money in L1.

The Champ is an absolute car crash with zero financial incentives apart from the dream that all 24 clubs have of getting promoted to the Prem.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:44 - Nov 29 with 1219 viewsGuthrum

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:23 - Nov 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

To be fair, now the salary cap is imposed, we probably lose less money in L1.

The Champ is an absolute car crash with zero financial incentives apart from the dream that all 24 clubs have of getting promoted to the Prem.

Tho with the vastly reduced TV/Solidarity money, fewer chances for lucrative televised matches, lower ticket prices and smaller crowds on the income side, not sure the saving is as dramatic as some think.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:50 - Nov 29 with 1193 viewsBent_double

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:13 - Nov 29 by IpswichKnight

I wouldn't say unsaleable: at the right price, with the right investment and management in place, the potential rewards are enormous.

There is at least financial sense in leagues 1 & 2 - even before the salary cap most clubs were only spending 60-70% of turnover on players wages.

As Marshalls_Mullet mentioned in his reply, the Champ is a financial mess with bang average, heavily indebted clubs fighting over the latest player who's had one decent season in the PL, and they want to sign for £10m+ and pay £40k a week too.

I jokingingly posted a few days ago that L1 will be the new Championship in a few seasons, if the likes of Derby, Forest, Wednesday all come down, with smaller clubs like Peterborough, Wycombe, Fleetwood, for example, going the other way.

Not sure if that helps anyone financially, other than perhaps a few more sold-out home games between the bigger clubs - maybe it will lead to a better TV contract for L1 & L2?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 23:02 - Nov 29 with 1063 viewsstiff_talking

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:50 - Nov 29 by Bent_double

I wouldn't say unsaleable: at the right price, with the right investment and management in place, the potential rewards are enormous.

There is at least financial sense in leagues 1 & 2 - even before the salary cap most clubs were only spending 60-70% of turnover on players wages.

As Marshalls_Mullet mentioned in his reply, the Champ is a financial mess with bang average, heavily indebted clubs fighting over the latest player who's had one decent season in the PL, and they want to sign for £10m+ and pay £40k a week too.

I jokingingly posted a few days ago that L1 will be the new Championship in a few seasons, if the likes of Derby, Forest, Wednesday all come down, with smaller clubs like Peterborough, Wycombe, Fleetwood, for example, going the other way.

Not sure if that helps anyone financially, other than perhaps a few more sold-out home games between the bigger clubs - maybe it will lead to a better TV contract for L1 & L2?

Evans only has to invest in a playing squad of 2.5 million if in league one

He can sell Downes or Jackson and recoup that.

In Championship our player budget was 18 million

If gates are maintained he is better off in League 1
Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 18:41 - Nov 30 with 888 viewsBent_double

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 23:02 - Nov 29 by stiff_talking

You know what, I think you're right - I keep forgetting about that salary cap - £2.5m for the whole squad, as opposed to what, £15-17m a couple of years ago in the Champ.

Yep, seems like he's happy for us to consolidate in L1 for the time being, and it's perfect at the moment, he knows that if we manage to finish top 6 by some miracle, there's no danger of us actually winning the POs and getting promoted.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 18:45 - Nov 30 with 869 viewspositivity

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 23:02 - Nov 29 by stiff_talking

i see what you're saying, but your last sentence is where it falls down. gates won't be maintained if we become an uncompetitive league one team

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Login to get fewer ads

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 18:55 - Nov 30 with 839 viewsclive_baker

The thought has crossed my mind. Longer term our pathway to the riches of the premier league diminishes significantly, almost to the point where that can't be his end goal and exit strategy, but more immediately the salary cap is a convenient excuse to run a break even or even slightly profitable P&L, which we know isn't a luxury Evans has been afforded in the Championship, or since. There would be a period of correction, but he must know that however dire things become, there will always be 10,000 people prepared to pay their £400 a year, turn up at Portman Road and clap enthusiastically. With a £2.5m enforced cap on player salaries it, ironically, then becomes a nicer business in his portfolio than it has been in years.

He can keep paying lip service to 'ambition' and peddling the normal PR BS each pre season to bump ticket sales, throw in the occasional change of manager and fabricated rejected bids for a fan favourite and hope someone offers to take the club off him at some stage.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:10 - Nov 30 with 794 viewsjayessess

To be honest, I don't see how it makes much difference to him really. He sets the budget, he's not obliged to set it any higher or lower based on what division we're in. He could set a "break even" budget in the Championship if he wanted.

Seems more likely that he just decides how much he wants to put in, adopts whatever strategy he thinks best then lets the chips fall where they may.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 14:32 - Dec 1 with 619 viewsstiff_talking

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 19:10 - Nov 30 by jayessess

To be honest, I don't see how it makes much difference to him really. He sets the budget, he's not obliged to set it any higher or lower based on what division we're in. He could set a "break even" budget in the Championship if he wanted.

Seems more likely that he just decides how much he wants to put in, adopts whatever strategy he thinks best then lets the chips fall where they may.

Now we know Lambert is safe. Is Evans looking at us being in league two ?

Perhaps I was too ambitious with League one comment
Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 14:37 - Dec 1 with 609 viewsjayessess

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 14:32 - Dec 1 by stiff_talking

Now we know Lambert is safe. Is Evans looking at us being in league two ?

Perhaps I was too ambitious with League one comment

Chips, falling where they may.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does Evans want ITFC in league one ? on 15:17 - Dec 1 with 562 viewslazyblue

Simple answer to ridiculous question would be no.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024