Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day 52 years ago 18:47 - Jan 14 with 964 viewscooper442

On this day 52 years Bobby Robson became manager of Itfc.
I am lucky enough to have so many memories from those wonderful times.
What a disgrace that Marcus Evans has taken our fantastic football club into the gutter that it sits now !!
Hold your head in shame sir !
On this day 52 years ago on 19:04 - Jan 14 with 924 viewsSitfcB

Yesterday

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

On this day 52 years ago on 19:10 - Jan 14 with 914 viewsBlueBadger

On this day 52 years ago on 19:04 - Jan 14 by SitfcB

Yesterday

Be fair, if the OP remembers 52 years ago he's clearly nearly as old as Facters and thus, possibly gets a little confused every so often.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

On this day 52 years ago on 19:15 - Jan 14 with 905 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

On this day 52 years ago on 19:10 - Jan 14 by BlueBadger

Be fair, if the OP remembers 52 years ago he's clearly nearly as old as Facters and thus, possibly gets a little confused every so often.

Oi, enough of the ageism. I remember those halcyon days.

Wibble.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

On this day 52 years ago on 19:16 - Jan 14 with 904 viewsChurchman

On this day 52 years ago on 19:10 - Jan 14 by BlueBadger

I’m with the OP! I remember when he got the job. I thought who?
On this day 52 years ago on 19:47 - Jan 14 with 869 viewsArnieM

Bloody BRILLIANT DAYS, and feel sorry for the younger Town fans . They never got see what was genuinely one of the best teams in this country ( 10 years in Europe matching the mighty Liverpool reds), playing some of the best football of that era . Robson was way ahead of his time and the use of the two Dutchmen in midfield was a master stroke . But what a BEAUTIFUL TEAM he built on essentially peanuts.

..... I remember opposition fans walking away from PR signing “ we only lost 1-0....” ( when we regularly thumped sides 4 & 5 nil every home game.

39 goals in one season from midfielder Johnny Wark .... what price these days ??
International players in every position bar the GK
England centre halves ( Butcher / Osman ) .
England captain Mick Mills
England Striker Paul Mariner

This small provincial Club was truly GREAT. But most of all RESPECTED throughout Europe .

Stuffing St Etienne on their own pitch ( they’d NEVER lost an European match at home) . We STUFFED them out of sight ! It was back page news on just about every national paper .

You young Town fans don’t know what you missed .... and I was lucky to grow up watching Bobby Robson’s team. It was a wonderful era . Which makes it even more sad that we are where we are now ..

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

On this day 52 years ago on 19:49 - Jan 14 with 859 viewshochiblue

I quite liked the McGarry team, but my goodness, the Robson years. Talk about Cloud 9.
On this day 52 years ago on 20:34 - Jan 14 with 826 viewsallezlesbleus

On this day 52 years ago on 19:47 - Jan 14 by ArnieM

Bloody BRILLIANT DAYS, and feel sorry for the younger Town fans . They never got see what was genuinely one of the best teams in this country ( 10 years in Europe matching the mighty Liverpool reds), playing some of the best football of that era . Robson was way ahead of his time and the use of the two Dutchmen in midfield was a master stroke . But what a BEAUTIFUL TEAM he built on essentially peanuts.

..... I remember opposition fans walking away from PR signing “ we only lost 1-0....” ( when we regularly thumped sides 4 & 5 nil every home game.

39 goals in one season from midfielder Johnny Wark .... what price these days ??

This small provincial Club was truly GREAT. But most of all RESPECTED throughout Europe .

Stuffing St Etienne on their own pitch ( they’d NEVER lost an European match at home) . We STUFFED them out of sight ! It was back page news on just about every national paper .

You young Town fans don’t know what you missed .... and I was lucky to grow up watching Bobby Robson’s team. It was a wonderful era . Which makes it even more sad that we are where we are now ..

Exactly how I feel.

Beating St Etienne away, well, stuffing them, was an incredible achievement. I was at the St Etienne v Rennes French League Cup Final a few years ago and several St Etienne fans were in awe of our team, when I explained that I was an Ipswich fan and had watched our match against them at Portman Road as a 12 year old.

I still feel an amazing sense of sadness for Sir Bobby, that he never won the league with us......we came so close on a number of occasions.
On this day 52 years ago on 21:18 - Jan 14 with 791 viewsArnieM

On this day 52 years ago on 20:34 - Jan 14 by allezlesbleus

Exactly how I feel.

Beating St Etienne away, well, stuffing them, was an incredible achievement. I was at the St Etienne v Rennes French League Cup Final a few years ago and several St Etienne fans were in awe of our team, when I explained that I was an Ipswich fan and had watched our match against them at Portman Road as a 12 year old.

I still feel an amazing sense of sadness for Sir Bobby, that he never won the league with us......we came so close on a number of occasions.

Yes I loved the fact that we beat the “champions “ Villa , three times that season and yet we couldn’t pick up that crown we so richly deserved . Villa never really got credit for winning the title , people generally felt we should have been Champions that season , but We had a small squad and were battling on three major fronts that season / should have done the treble that season but injuries did for us (especially The Beat).

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

On this day 52 years ago on 21:32 - Jan 14 with 771 viewsPJH

On this day 52 years ago on 21:18 - Jan 14 by ArnieM

Yes I loved the fact that we beat the “champions “ Villa , three times that season and yet we couldn’t pick up that crown we so richly deserved . Villa never really got credit for winning the title , people generally felt we should have been Champions that season , but We had a small squad and were battling on three major fronts that season / should have done the treble that season but injuries did for us (especially The Beat).

Not quite so much the great Kevin Beattie because he had only started a total of 38 over the previous two seasons so, although he was important when he did play, he was no longer a regular-because of injuries.

Thijssen, Mariner and Gates missed some of the run in and Mick Mills missed some games and George Burley's season finished in January.

We should have won the title and maybe 'should' have won the F.A. Cup so ONLY winning a major European title was a disappointment.
On this day 52 years ago on 21:36 - Jan 14 with 763 viewsazuremerlangus

On this day 52 years ago on 19:47 - Jan 14 by ArnieM

I've lost count how many times over the years I have had conversations with fans of other teams who remember that side - and they all they all said the same about the attractive style of play, mentioned the same players we readily remember and how entertaining the flowing football was to watch - even as the losing opposition. There was no resentment or jealously just acknowledgement that our team was something special - and that still fills me with great pride to this day.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 21:57]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

On this day 52 years ago on 21:44 - Jan 14 with 744 viewsChurchman

On this day 52 years ago on 21:32 - Jan 14 by PJH

Not quite so much the great Kevin Beattie because he had only started a total of 38 over the previous two seasons so, although he was important when he did play, he was no longer a regular-because of injuries.

Thijssen, Mariner and Gates missed some of the run in and Mick Mills missed some games and George Burley's season finished in January.

We should have won the title and maybe 'should' have won the F.A. Cup so ONLY winning a major European title was a disappointment.

I think GBs loss in January was absolutely crucial. He was such a good, steady player. Even with the injuries and too many games we deserved the title. We were a lot stronger than the rest including Villa. Tbf Villa were a really good side, but they used something like 13 players only that season. They were booted out of the FA Cup early by us and weren’t in Europe. That really helped them. Add in a long run in the League Cup and of course Eufa and we just ran out of energy and players.

After the disappointment of coming close in the 70s I really wanted to win the league. If not, at least the FA Cup. The EUFA cup was basically a consolation prize for me.

Still, what a team that was. We really were that good.
On this day 52 years ago on 21:47 - Jan 14 with 735 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

On this day 52 years ago on 21:36 - Jan 14 by azuremerlangus

I've lost count how many times over the years I have had conversations with fans of other teams who remember that side - and they all they all said the same about the attractive style of play, mentioned the same players we readily remember and how entertaining the flowing football was to watch - even as the losing opposition. There was no resentment or jealously just acknowledgement that our team was something special - and that still fills me with great pride to this day.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 21:57]

This.
Was in Kefalonia a few years ago, sat in a bar watching a premier league match. A Dutch chap was at the table next to me and we struck up a conversation. He asked me who my team was. Ipswich says i. He then proceded to reel off the UEFA cup winning team. He was an Ajax fan, but frequently came over on the ferry to watch the great Sir Bobby team of the time with his mates, so impressed he was of that side.
We got royally pissed that afternoon.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024