Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on 12:34 - Feb 9 with 902 viewsWoolfenthen

What a team that was, but who would you compare each player to that has played in the premiership over the last 10 years or so. Who in the modern game is most like Mick Miĺls or the warrior Terry Butcher, who is the modern day Paul Mariner. Nobody scores goals from a deep lying position like Warky did, but who is the closest. Difficult to compare players of different eras but would be interesting to see your thoughts.
1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:38 - Feb 9 with 887 viewsitfcjoe

I'll have a go with some, bearing in mind I didn't see the 81 side....

Terry Butcher - John Terry
John Wark - Frank Lampard
Paul Mariner - Harry Kane
Mick Mills - Gary Neville

Probably over egged a bit with Mariner to Kane no doubt...

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:41 - Feb 9 with 861 viewsWoolfenthen

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:38 - Feb 9 by itfcjoe

Terry is a great shout, well certainly on the pitch anyway! One of a few players who would die for the cause and go in for challenges which others wouldn't consider much the same as Butch

Mills perhaps more like Phil Neville in that he could play either side and could also step into midfield together with scoring the odd goal or two
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 12:44]
1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:45 - Feb 9 with 828 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Mariner and Kane is a good comparison, I actually think Mariner was a better all round player, Kane scores more goals but a lot are pens.

Agree with Lampard and Wark, Warky much better on the air though.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:46 - Feb 9 with 821 viewsconnorscontract

Muhren is closest to Xabi Alonso

Thijssen to Iniesta (ok, he hasn't played in the Prem, so if Prem only maybe Fabregas)

Wark is Lampard and Makalele rolled into one.

Maybe Fernando Torres for Mariner?

Butcher is difficult. Quicker than you might think when a youngster and classier, too. As well as being the bravest footballer of his era. Maybe Jaap Stam with a dash of Matty Elliott thrown in?
1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:48 - Feb 9 with 810 viewsMetal_Hacker

Tough one that as you say , different era and game played differently

Although my memory is starting to fade ever so slightly and I was only 11 at the time during the 80-81 season I'd make a couple of suggestions

Russell Osman - John Stones (without the mistakes)
Paul Mariner - Olivier Giroud (target man with quite a good touch)
Arnold Muhren - Could never compare IMHO - Nothing like him for me
John Wark - Steven Gerrard ( due to the goals and energy really )
George Burley - KVY (perhaps a strange comparison considering how much we've seen KVY but I just remember Burley flying up and down and had some pace too)

It's difficult like you say but blo0dy good memories and sadly never to be recreated

Poll: If it were one or the other

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:49 - Feb 9 with 811 viewsconnorscontract

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:41 - Feb 9 by Woolfenthen

Terry is a great shout, well certainly on the pitch anyway! One of a few players who would die for the cause and go in for challenges which others wouldn't consider much the same as Butch

Mills perhaps more like Phil Neville in that he could play either side and could also step into midfield together with scoring the odd goal or two
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 12:44]

John Terry is a c*** (pick your own gender of genital as insult). Not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Butcher.

Lampard always had others doing his work for him: Makalele or Essien, Ballack alongside. Wark played centrally in a midfield three with Muhren and Thijssen who, ahem, weren't known for their tackling.
1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:59 - Feb 9 with 760 viewsBlueyandCrazy

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:48 - Feb 9 by Metal_Hacker

Tough one that as you say , different era and game played differently

Although my memory is starting to fade ever so slightly and I was only 11 at the time during the 80-81 season I'd make a couple of suggestions

Russell Osman - John Stones (without the mistakes)
Paul Mariner - Olivier Giroud (target man with quite a good touch)
Arnold Muhren - Could never compare IMHO - Nothing like him for me
John Wark - Steven Gerrard ( due to the goals and energy really )
George Burley - KVY (perhaps a strange comparison considering how much we've seen KVY but I just remember Burley flying up and down and had some pace too)

It's difficult like you say but blo0dy good memories and sadly never to be recreated

Best team in the country; so comparing to best team in the land

Eric Gates - Raheem Sterling (scores all sorts, tricks in the box)
Frans Thijsen - Phil Foden (dribbling - Frans better tho on that front)
John Wark - Ilkay Gundogan (box to box, better at pens too)
Arnold Muhren - Kevin Be Bruyne (wand of a foot)
Russell Osman - John Stones (as others stated)
George Burley - Kyle Walker (Marauding forwards)

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 13:07 - Feb 9 with 741 viewsGlasgowBlue

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 12:45 - Feb 9 by The_Last_Baron

Mariner and Kane is a good comparison, I actually think Mariner was a better all round player, Kane scores more goals but a lot are pens.

Agree with Lampard and Wark, Warky much better on the air though.

Wark was more Gerrard than Lampard. A box to box midfielder who was as comfortable with his defensive duties as he was with attacking.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 13:43 - Feb 9 with 678 viewsChurchman

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 13:07 - Feb 9 by GlasgowBlue

Wark was more Gerrard than Lampard. A box to box midfielder who was as comfortable with his defensive duties as he was with attacking.

He was better in the air than Gerrard and a better goal scorer. But I think overall Gerrard was a better passer and better player.

Kane isn’t fit to wipe Mariners boots. PM was a far better player than he looked on TV
1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 13:59 - Feb 9 with 636 viewsmonty_radio

I think Mariner was difficult to classify - much more mobile and faster than Giroud, but not a huge scorer of goals. Very intelligent link-up player. Bamford is beginning to remind me of him. Best current team to look at to get some idea of Thijssen and Muhren playing together would probably be Man City in the shape of such as Fernandinho and David Silva.

Wark has no equivalent as a defensive midfielder who arrived late to score so many, though certainly his accuracy in chances taken from distance is as good as Lampard.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 13:59]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 14:11 - Feb 9 with 613 viewsChurchman

1981 Squad comparisons 40 years on on 13:59 - Feb 9 by monty_radio

I think Mariner was difficult to classify - much more mobile and faster than Giroud, but not a huge scorer of goals. Very intelligent link-up player. Bamford is beginning to remind me of him. Best current team to look at to get some idea of Thijssen and Muhren playing together would probably be Man City in the shape of such as Fernandinho and David Silva.

Wark has no equivalent as a defensive midfielder who arrived late to score so many, though certainly his accuracy in chances taken from distance is as good as Lampard.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 13:59]

Mariner scored 96 in 260 appearances for Ipswich, 13 in 35 for England. Hardly a Jimmy Greaves or Harry Kane level of goals, but his game was so much more than that. He could take the best defences apart and created opportunities for others with his movement, mobility and positional sense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024