Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3. Stephen backWard 09:31 - Apr 6 with 4026 viewsWoolfenthen

In all my years as a Town fan I dont think I have ever witnessed such a negative footballer. Constantly goes backwards and at best sideways dont think I've ever seen him play a pass forwards only time he goes forward is he has to lump it. This is from an experienced and full international, there was one occasion on Saturday when he ran up the left flank got to the half way line then stopped, and yep you've guessed it then passed backwards. Is this from time spent working with Sean Dyche and Tony Pulis, does he think hes not allowed past the half way line? Truly depressing footballer.
3. Stephen backWard on 09:37 - Apr 6 with 3697 viewsMrTown

Technically he's sound, but god he looks like an old dog going for one last run round the park before he's put down.

You probably aren't going to get much out of him and Woolfenden as your full backs going forward.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 9:38]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

3. Stephen backWard on 09:42 - Apr 6 with 3674 viewsGuthrum

All of the squad think backwards. They receive passes facing towards their own goal, then run in that direction. They faff around for ages with throw-ins, then lose another 15 yards by sending them to a Centre Back.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

3. Stephen backWard on 09:49 - Apr 6 with 3624 viewsGlasgowBlue

3. Stephen backWard on 09:42 - Apr 6 by Guthrum

All of the squad think backwards. They receive passes facing towards their own goal, then run in that direction. They faff around for ages with throw-ins, then lose another 15 yards by sending them to a Centre Back.

I’m glad I’m not the only person seeing this.

On Saturday Rochdale tried They to penetrate our penalty area and get men in the box. If the move broke down they tired to get it in again. And again.

When we tried to penetrate their box, if the move broke down we passed it back to our defence. We give up too easily and take the easy option.

We never look to play the killer pass. Just roll it back to Toto or Chambers.they knock it about at the back before, pass it back to Holy, the opposition put him under pressure and he kicks it into touch.

This happened a lot under Lambert. I would have expected Cook to tell them to stop playing this way.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

3. Stephen backWard on 10:06 - Apr 6 with 3544 viewsGuthrum

3. Stephen backWard on 09:49 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

On Saturday Rochdale tried They to penetrate our penalty area and get men in the box. If the move broke down they tired to get it in again. And again.

When we tried to penetrate their box, if the move broke down we passed it back to our defence. We give up too easily and take the easy option.

We never look to play the killer pass. Just roll it back to Toto or Chambers.they knock it about at the back before, pass it back to Holy, the opposition put him under pressure and he kicks it into touch.

This happened a lot under Lambert. I would have expected Cook to tell them to stop playing this way.

He probably has, but it takes time (and training) to break bad habits.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

3. Stephen backWard on 10:10 - Apr 6 with 3530 viewsjayessess

Given what most modern teams require physically of their full backs, deliberately recruiting a 35 year old for the position was absolutely criminal.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

3. Stephen backWard on 10:12 - Apr 6 with 3494 viewsbraveblue

3. Stephen backWard on 10:10 - Apr 6 by jayessess

Given what most modern teams require physically of their full backs, deliberately recruiting a 35 year old for the position was absolutely criminal.

We have a young right back on loan. Does not get a look in.
3. Stephen backWard on 10:14 - Apr 6 with 3482 viewsZXBlue

3. Stephen backWard on 10:12 - Apr 6 by braveblue

And another far more athletic one out on loan elsewhere. Never got a look in.
3. Stephen backWard on 10:16 - Apr 6 with 3483 viewsBobbychase

3. Stephen backWard on 09:42 - Apr 6 by Guthrum

Judge is the one that frustrates me the most. He's in the team to attack and create things, but many, many times he instinctively knocks it back WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING what options are ahead of him. I've seen him do it when he's been in lots of space and could have turned and gone on a run. Default setting - roll it back to Toto or Wilson.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

3. Stephen backWard on 10:18 - Apr 6 with 3461 viewsjayessess

There are lots of different ways to recruit badly. We manage to tick all the boxes.

3. Stephen backWard on 10:18 - Apr 6 with 3451 viewsCheltenham_Blue

3. Stephen backWard on 09:49 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

I think its pretty much ingrained.

It'll take a summer to get that out completely.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

3. Stephen backWard on 10:24 - Apr 6 with 3429 viewsGarv

He is injured to be fair.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

3. Stephen backWard on 10:40 - Apr 6 with 3374 viewsclive_baker

I don't think he's any more or less guilty than anyone else in the team. The issue we've got is we have such little creativity going forward that we've looked to Ward and Chambers all season for inspiration, which is a pretty sorry state of affairs. Call me old fashioned but they're a pair of street wise, solid and reliable defenders who appear to at least have a bit of b0llocks between them and professional pride. If we stuck them in the back 4 all season with the remit of defending they're perfectly fine at this level. It's the 6 in front of the back 4 that need to make things happen for us, which isn't happening and hasn't done for yonks. I don't think we're too bad defensively.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

3. Stephen backWard on 10:43 - Apr 6 with 3350 viewsdavblue

3. Stephen backWard on 10:40 - Apr 6 by clive_baker

I don't think he's any more or less guilty than anyone else in the team. The issue we've got is we have such little creativity going forward that we've looked to Ward and Chambers all season for inspiration, which is a pretty sorry state of affairs. Call me old fashioned but they're a pair of street wise, solid and reliable defenders who appear to at least have a bit of b0llocks between them and professional pride. If we stuck them in the back 4 all season with the remit of defending they're perfectly fine at this level. It's the 6 in front of the back 4 that need to make things happen for us, which isn't happening and hasn't done for yonks. I don't think we're too bad defensively.

we don't really take any risks defensively, we play deep, we are frightened to push up squeeze the space so that helps us defensively but doesn't then help the midfield and strikers.
3. Stephen backWard on 10:50 - Apr 6 with 3308 viewsArnieM

Ward when he fist came he was getting forward on the overlap and putting in good crosses. The thing that struck me over the last 2 games is the emphasis to get the ball up the pitch quickly , often lumping it forward ...maybe this is why the defence are doing this now ? Also our midfield is a joke ; Non existent , and offers no outlet for the CBS'

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

3. Stephen backWard on 10:51 - Apr 6 with 3298 viewsclive_baker

3. Stephen backWard on 10:10 - Apr 6 by jayessess

There aren't many sides at this level that I would call modern. The best teams at this level are just consistent, hard working, well organised & sound defensively, with a goal threat further forward. Peterborough are probably one of the more modern, but they don't try and emulate Liverpool, they've just got a pair of reliable full backs that have been around the lower leagues, and the likes of Clarke-Harris, SS, Ward etc creating and causing headaches for opponents.

I think defensively we're generally OK. Nsiala has had his knockers, and rightly so, but in recent weeks he's been near faultless. Our defence is alright, we've conceded 1 in our last 3 and first and foremost that's what we need to build off. The issue is we're completely toothless in attack. We have to be one of the easiest sides to play against. Even our so called creative players like Dozzell and Bishop measure up terribly on that front.

3. Stephen backWard on 10:54 - Apr 6 with 3276 viewsPinewoodblue

3. Stephen backWard on 10:43 - Apr 6 by davblue

we don't really take any risks defensively, we play deep, we are frightened to push up squeeze the space so that helps us defensively but doesn't then help the midfield and strikers.

The biggest problem is that more often than not there isn’t an obvious alternative to a sideways or backwards pass.

There is no positive movement off the ball, it’s as if they will be fined if they have the ball when the music stops.

PC has to start bruising ego’s if he hasn’t already given up on this season. If he has given up he isn’t the manager for us. Protecting them isn’t working go for it PC, make a difference.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

3. Stephen backWard on 10:55 - Apr 6 with 3271 viewsclive_baker

3. Stephen backWard on 10:50 - Apr 6 by ArnieM

Ward when he fist came he was getting forward on the overlap and putting in good crosses. The thing that struck me over the last 2 games is the emphasis to get the ball up the pitch quickly , often lumping it forward ...maybe this is why the defence are doing this now ? Also our midfield is a joke ; Non existent , and offers no outlet for the CBS'

There's definitely been more of that. I'm not averse to it to be honest, as tedious as it is, as a short term 'sh1thouse our way to 6th and see what happens' approach for the next month or so, but it won't be Cook's long term plan beyond this season. I think if we're going to do it we need a target man though, i.e a Hawkins. There's naff all point pumping long balls to Jackson and Drinan.

3. Stephen backWard on 11:01 - Apr 6 with 3240 viewsdavblue

3. Stephen backWard on 10:54 - Apr 6 by Pinewoodblue

The biggest problem is that more often than not there isn’t an obvious alternative to a sideways or backwards pass.

There is no positive movement off the ball, it’s as if they will be fined if they have the ball when the music stops.

PC has to start bruising ego’s if he hasn’t already given up on this season. If he has given up he isn’t the manager for us. Protecting them isn’t working go for it PC, make a difference.

you can't keep hammering them.

He will know what he wants and needs, is he going to be given the tools etc to get them now will be the big question.
3. Stephen backWard on 11:01 - Apr 6 with 3231 viewsGlasgowBlue

3. Stephen backWard on 10:55 - Apr 6 by clive_baker

There's definitely been more of that. I'm not averse to it to be honest, as tedious as it is, as a short term 'sh1thouse our way to 6th and see what happens' approach for the next month or so, but it won't be Cook's long term plan beyond this season. I think if we're going to do it we need a target man though, i.e a Hawkins. There's naff all point pumping long balls to Jackson and Drinan.

I can see Hawkins getting a start on Saturday.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

3. Stephen backWard on 11:08 - Apr 6 with 3198 viewsitfcjoe

3. Stephen backWard on 10:16 - Apr 6 by Bobbychase

Judge is the one that frustrates me the most. He's in the team to attack and create things, but many, many times he instinctively knocks it back WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING what options are ahead of him. I've seen him do it when he's been in lots of space and could have turned and gone on a run. Default setting - roll it back to Toto or Wilson.

Judge just kills attacks stone dead far too often for a player who should be in the team as a creative option. Or he just drops back and gets on someones toes.

There is no way he is here next season, I'd phase him out now as he isn't helping things

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

3. Stephen backWard on 11:12 - Apr 6 with 3167 viewsjayessess

3. Stephen backWard on 10:51 - Apr 6 by clive_baker

There aren't many sides at this level that I would call modern. The best teams at this level are just consistent, hard working, well organised & sound defensively, with a goal threat further forward. Peterborough are probably one of the more modern, but they don't try and emulate Liverpool, they've just got a pair of reliable full backs that have been around the lower leagues, and the likes of Clarke-Harris, SS, Ward etc creating and causing headaches for opponents.

I think defensively we're generally OK. Nsiala has had his knockers, and rightly so, but in recent weeks he's been near faultless. Our defence is alright, we've conceded 1 in our last 3 and first and foremost that's what we need to build off. The issue is we're completely toothless in attack. We have to be one of the easiest sides to play against. Even our so called creative players like Dozzell and Bishop measure up terribly on that front.

Full backs aren't just defensive players.

Hull's left back (Elder) has 9 assists and their other full backs (Emmanuel, Coyle) create on average a chance per game. Posh's left back (Butler) has 4 assists too and is their 3rd most creative player. Sunderland are less full back orientated, but McFadzean and Power still chipped in 3 assists each.

More generally, we've seen plenty of other, very modestly resourced, teams using their full backs to pin us back and work overlaps.

We attack and defend as a unit. If we can't get our full backs into attacking areas that makes it so much harder to make space for the wingers, much much harder to overload the opposition defence. You're then effectively expecting Edwards or Judge to either cross from deep or blaze their way past 2 defenders. It's no coincidence that our most effective period as an attacking team this season coincided with Ward and Chambers contributing offensively.

(Similarly, it's weird how we're sound defensively, but none of the midfielders get any credit for that? We defend as a unit too...)

3. Stephen backWard on 11:25 - Apr 6 with 3108 viewsjayessess

3. Stephen backWard on 11:08 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

Judge just kills attacks stone dead far too often for a player who should be in the team as a creative option. Or he just drops back and gets on someones toes.

There is no way he is here next season, I'd phase him out now as he isn't helping things

Fair to say that Plan A - "pick the most experienced forward players we have, cross fingers" - has not worked.

3. Stephen backWard on 11:40 - Apr 6 with 3037 viewsclive_baker

3. Stephen backWard on 11:12 - Apr 6 by jayessess

Full backs aren't just defensive players.

Hull's left back (Elder) has 9 assists and their other full backs (Emmanuel, Coyle) create on average a chance per game. Posh's left back (Butler) has 4 assists too and is their 3rd most creative player. Sunderland are less full back orientated, but McFadzean and Power still chipped in 3 assists each.

More generally, we've seen plenty of other, very modestly resourced, teams using their full backs to pin us back and work overlaps.

We attack and defend as a unit. If we can't get our full backs into attacking areas that makes it so much harder to make space for the wingers, much much harder to overload the opposition defence. You're then effectively expecting Edwards or Judge to either cross from deep or blaze their way past 2 defenders. It's no coincidence that our most effective period as an attacking team this season coincided with Ward and Chambers contributing offensively.

(Similarly, it's weird how we're sound defensively, but none of the midfielders get any credit for that? We defend as a unit too...)

While that's true, 3 or 4 assists from full back isn't abnormal and wouldn't be out of reach for our personnel. Chambers could achieve that in a side that's garbage going forward and one of the lowest scorers in the league. It's easier to get assists and join in with forward play when you have creative players ahead of you that are creating space. I lost count of the number of times Ward and Woolfenden had the ball yesterday and had nobody showing for it, so they defaulted to a square pass or going back to the centre back. We're awful in the middle third of the pitch.

Has Kenlock been injured, hence Ward getting back in? on 11:44 - Apr 6 with 3028 viewsunstableblue

Kenlock has flaws and has an error in him, but I felt he was a factor in some of our 'better' performances... I thought he'd been dropped for ward's experience and solidity

But was it an injury?

I think Kenlock was played in midfield briefly yesterday just try and get some energy and running into the team

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

3. Stephen backWard on 11:51 - Apr 6 with 2993 viewsjayessess

3. Stephen backWard on 11:40 - Apr 6 by clive_baker

While that's true, 3 or 4 assists from full back isn't abnormal and wouldn't be out of reach for our personnel. Chambers could achieve that in a side that's garbage going forward and one of the lowest scorers in the league. It's easier to get assists and join in with forward play when you have creative players ahead of you that are creating space. I lost count of the number of times Ward and Woolfenden had the ball yesterday and had nobody showing for it, so they defaulted to a square pass or going back to the centre back. We're awful in the middle third of the pitch.

On other days, I've seen the opposite, the midfielders showing for the ball, looking up and seeing no useful out ball. We're dysfunctional as a unit and people see what they want to see with regards to individuals or components of the team.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024