Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AJ fighting Usyk now 00:48 - May 23 with 3195 viewsBarneycurley

Poor Tyson - he'll have to smash Wilder for a third time and face AJ after I guess 😏

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 08:18 - May 23 with 1986 viewsHerbivore

Poor Tyson? I don't think you're reading what's going on here very well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 08:36 - May 23 with 1960 viewsRadlett_blue

AJ fighting Usyk now on 08:18 - May 23 by Herbivore

Poor Tyson? I don't think you're reading what's going on here very well.

If Joshua-Fury is really worth $500m, all Fury has to do is give Wilder $20m+ to step aside.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 08:45 - May 23 with 1944 viewsStokieBlue

AJ fighting Usyk now on 08:36 - May 23 by Radlett_blue

If Joshua-Fury is really worth $500m, all Fury has to do is give Wilder $20m+ to step aside.

Seems to have gotten more complicated with another ruling last night:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/22/anthony-joshua-ordered-to-defend-h

Could be a consequence of the first ruling though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:04 - May 23 with 1911 viewsfooters

AJ fighting Usyk now on 08:45 - May 23 by StokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/22/anthony-joshua-ordered-to-defend-h

SB

Not surprising really, but the mandatories don't really mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

Still, this has all been a big let down, hasn't it? I'm confident we'll still see an undisputed between those two, and the two other fights are pretty good on their own - although I really don't see the point in the trilogy fight for anyone other than Wilder.

Oh well. Next year it is then.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:13 - May 23 with 1891 viewsRadlett_blue

SB

In boxing, most problems can be solved by writing out a large cheque. But yes, the absurd multiplication of governing bodies creates many extra obstacles.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:15 - May 23 with 1886 viewsChrisd

It's a very disappointing outcome. There's too much interference from the various Boxing Governing Bodies and TV companies, which is putting barriers up. I really like Uysk as a fighter, but after fighting a couple of heavyweight journeymen he's deemed good enough for a title shot is simply ludicrous. Who honestly wants to see Fury vs. Wilder III? I know I don't and I doubt if I'm in the minority.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:17 - May 23 with 1879 viewsHerbivore

SB

It's directly down to that. They'd waived him having to face Usyk immediately to allow the Fury fight to happen, now the Fury fight isn't happening they want him to face Usyk.

The problem is that this all ultimately makes fighting for all four belts more difficult down the line. Whyte has been WBC mandatory (aside from the brief period between the Povetkin fights) for what feels like years and at some point he should get a shot at the belt. The WBA and IBF will doubtless have mandatories lined up as well. They'll only wait so long. This really could end up being a once in a lifetime opportunity missed.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:23 - May 23 with 1863 viewsfooters

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:17 - May 23 by Herbivore

It's directly down to that. They'd waived him having to face Usyk immediately to allow the Fury fight to happen, now the Fury fight isn't happening they want him to face Usyk.

The problem is that this all ultimately makes fighting for all four belts more difficult down the line. Whyte has been WBC mandatory (aside from the brief period between the Povetkin fights) for what feels like years and at some point he should get a shot at the belt. The WBA and IBF will doubtless have mandatories lined up as well. They'll only wait so long. This really could end up being a once in a lifetime opportunity missed.

It really could but do you honestly see Usyk winning over AJ or Wilder beating Fury? I love Usyk as a fighter but he's not ready for AJ and I think this is a step too soon, too far for him - which is why I'd rather he fought Joyce first.

Agree on Dill, though. He's been mandatory for almost two years(?!) at this point I think! Would be good if he could face the winner of the undisputed if it happens and has a few tune-ups in between - he's been in with enough big names already and doesn't really need to prove himself anymore. That said, his loss to Povetkin was disappointing, despite him dominating the fight.

Login to get fewer ads

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:32 - May 23 with 1823 viewsRadlett_blue

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:17 - May 23 by Herbivore

The problem is having so many self-appointed "governing bodies". It was just about bearable with the WBC & WBA, but then the IBF & then the initially derided WBO popped up. There are also other bodies who dish out so-called "world titles" so no doubt there will eventually be 5 "recognised" governing bodies. This helps the sport market almost every single fight as being a "title fight" to the gullible public.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:40 - May 23 with 1803 viewsHerbivore

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:23 - May 23 by footers

It really could but do you honestly see Usyk winning over AJ or Wilder beating Fury? I love Usyk as a fighter but he's not ready for AJ and I think this is a step too soon, too far for him - which is why I'd rather he fought Joyce first.

Agree on Dill, though. He's been mandatory for almost two years(?!) at this point I think! Would be good if he could face the winner of the undisputed if it happens and has a few tune-ups in between - he's been in with enough big names already and doesn't really need to prove himself anymore. That said, his loss to Povetkin was disappointing, despite him dominating the fight.

It's not so much I think either will lose, although it's heavyweight boxing so you never know, it's more that the WBC, WBA, and IBF aren't likely to be willing to wait longer still for their mandatory challangers to have a fight. Fury v AJ could still happen but it probably won't be for all the marbles and that will be a shame and will take a bit of the lustre off it. Frankly the way Fury and his team have handled this whole thing makes part of me hope that Wilder lands a lucky shot and sparks him out.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:45 - May 23 with 1789 viewsfooters

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:40 - May 23 by Herbivore

It's not so much I think either will lose, although it's heavyweight boxing so you never know, it's more that the WBC, WBA, and IBF aren't likely to be willing to wait longer still for their mandatory challangers to have a fight. Fury v AJ could still happen but it probably won't be for all the marbles and that will be a shame and will take a bit of the lustre off it. Frankly the way Fury and his team have handled this whole thing makes part of me hope that Wilder lands a lucky shot and sparks him out.

Yeah, that's true. But here's what I don't get, Herb - Hearn and Arum aren't daft. How have they let themselves build and sign the biggest fight in a generation presumably knowing there was a pending arbitration for the trilogy? Doesn't make sense to me unless all parties were ITK from the get-go, but then we're entering tinfoil hat territory.

Really disappointed in Fury and his team for this, though. Doesn't seem to be any shenanigans on AJ's behalf.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:58 - May 23 with 1766 viewsBarneycurley

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:45 - May 23 by footers

Yeah, that's true. But here's what I don't get, Herb - Hearn and Arum aren't daft. How have they let themselves build and sign the biggest fight in a generation presumably knowing there was a pending arbitration for the trilogy? Doesn't make sense to me unless all parties were ITK from the get-go, but then we're entering tinfoil hat territory.

Really disappointed in Fury and his team for this, though. Doesn't seem to be any shenanigans on AJ's behalf.

Re your last paragraph - you would say that wouldn't you...

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:00 - May 23 with 1767 viewsHerbivore

Hearn did all the leg work seemingly under the impression that the Wilder issue was a non-issue. I think they'd had assurances that Wilder didn't have a case. Meanwhile, Arum had already booked a venue and date for a third Wilder fight whilst the AJ fight was still being negotiated and they've very quickly made that fight rather than exploring options to avoid having to fight Wilder. It smacks a bit of using AJ's name and profile to help promote a third Wilder fight that they know the public has little interest in.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:01 - May 23 with 1764 viewsHerbivore

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:58 - May 23 by Barneycurley

Erm, Footers has been pretty open about being a big Fury fan. He's just trying not to let that completely blind him. It's pretty clear what's gone on here.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:02 - May 23 with 1763 viewsfooters

AJ fighting Usyk now on 09:58 - May 23 by Barneycurley

Erm, no? I favour Fury in the fight. I'm just sad to see most of this seems to be coming from their end. So not sure what your point is, fella.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:10 - May 23 with 1743 viewsRadlett_blue

Fury & Co were hoping that the arbitrator would rule in their favour i.e. that the rematch clause had expired & that if it didn't go that way, they could pay Wilder enough step-aside money. Wilder's camp either see a chance to drive a hard bargain or think another fight with Fury will generate a huge sum. I doubt people will pay up to see Fury-Wilder III.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:24 - May 23 with 1721 viewsBarneycurley

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:10 - May 23 by Radlett_blue

Fury & Co were hoping that the arbitrator would rule in their favour i.e. that the rematch clause had expired & that if it didn't go that way, they could pay Wilder enough step-aside money. Wilder's camp either see a chance to drive a hard bargain or think another fight with Fury will generate a huge sum. I doubt people will pay up to see Fury-Wilder III.

Exactly, why would Wilder Step aside? It's his last chance of staying relevant. 20 mill or not, Wilder has nothing to lose enforcing the clause.

Why that's deemed Furys fault I am unsure.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:47 - May 23 with 1700 viewsHerbivore

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:24 - May 23 by Barneycurley

Exactly, why would Wilder Step aside? It's his last chance of staying relevant. 20 mill or not, Wilder has nothing to lose enforcing the clause.

$20m is probably more than Wilder has made in his entire career and it's more than he'd earn for actually fighting Fury for a third time. It's a smarter business move to step aside, take the money, and then push for a fight with the winner of Fury v AJ. I doubt Fury's team have even made him an offer to step aside, as soon as the arbitrator's decision was announced suddenly there was a date and a venue and the fight was all but signed.

AJ fighting Usyk now on 11:21 - May 23 with 1671 viewsBarneycurley

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:47 - May 23 by Herbivore

$20m is probably more than Wilder has made in his entire career and it's more than he'd earn for actually fighting Fury for a third time. It's a smarter business move to step aside, take the money, and then push for a fight with the winner of Fury v AJ. I doubt Fury's team have even made him an offer to step aside, as soon as the arbitrator's decision was announced suddenly there was a date and a venue and the fight was all but signed.

Plenty of jumping to conclusions there, nice work

AJ fighting Usyk now on 11:26 - May 23 with 1667 viewspointofblue

AJ fighting Usyk now on 10:24 - May 23 by Barneycurley

Because, if that is the case, why did Fury’s team much a song and dance about fighting Joshua and having the unification fight? Why not say straight away that the Wilder clause could be an issue, or even state that they would prefer to adhere to it than pay Wilder off?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 11:26 - May 23 with 1666 viewsHerbivore

AJ fighting Usyk now on 11:21 - May 23 by Barneycurley

Plenty of jumping to conclusions there, nice work

Eh? What do you disagree with?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 12:16 - May 23 with 1625 viewsJ2BLUE

If it makes Wembley viable for this mega fight next year then i'm happy with the delay.

No doubt they'll find some reason to follow the money though.

I'd love Whyte to get his title shot soon. I want to see him as world champ, as unlikely as that might be.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

AJ fighting Usyk now on 15:43 - May 23 with 1528 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57216611

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

AJ fighting Usyk now on 15:53 - May 23 with 1514 viewsHerbivore

AJ fighting Usyk now on 15:43 - May 23 by StokieBlue

SB

Amazing how they managed to get that fight signed off in under a week after spending 6 months dicking AJ about........

AJ fighting Usyk now on 15:59 - May 23 with 1504 viewsfooters

AJ fighting Usyk now on 15:43 - May 23 by StokieBlue

SB

Who's actually going to buy that fight though?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024