Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very dissappointing 17:19 - Sep 25 with 3119 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Wednesday we're poor. We we're dire.

We could have lost that 3-1 with the two terrible mistakes Burgess made (at least he got back at them) but a better team would have hammered us.

Just looked like we had no shape, no idea, no tactics, just hoping if we hit our skill players they'd pull a rabbit out of a hat while everyone else sat back and watched.

Down there with the Bolton performance for me.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Very dissappointing on 17:23 - Sep 25 with 2536 viewsEireannach_gorm

Not dire, ineffective. We have such fine players but are not using them efficiently.
Very dissappointing on 17:30 - Sep 25 with 2492 viewsjayessess

Don't think it was anywhere near the Bolton performance, which was a full on collapse.

It was a tight game against a side which, like ours, has a lot of Championship quality players. We missed our first big chance, they took a half chance and then defended well and kept their shape. We weren't fluent, we didn't make enough openings or make good choices with the ones that did appear, but... we've not ultimately let them have a freebie on the break, kept ourselves in the game and pushed them back for most of the 2nd half. Whether it's a good 1-1 or a bad one is only going to become clear if we kick on from Tuesday.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Very dissappointing on 17:32 - Sep 25 with 2466 viewsMillsyVOR

Very dissappointing on 17:30 - Sep 25 by jayessess

Don't think it was anywhere near the Bolton performance, which was a full on collapse.

It was a tight game against a side which, like ours, has a lot of Championship quality players. We missed our first big chance, they took a half chance and then defended well and kept their shape. We weren't fluent, we didn't make enough openings or make good choices with the ones that did appear, but... we've not ultimately let them have a freebie on the break, kept ourselves in the game and pushed them back for most of the 2nd half. Whether it's a good 1-1 or a bad one is only going to become clear if we kick on from Tuesday.

Very reasonable assessment 👏👏👏
Very dissappointing on 17:33 - Sep 25 with 2439 viewsParky

Shut up.
Very dissappointing on 17:43 - Sep 25 with 2384 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very dissappointing on 17:30 - Sep 25 by jayessess

Totally agree it moves the emphasis firmly onto Tuesday.

But we got away with one there. (and admittedly could have totally undeservedly won it at the death) but for me that was a poor performance against, on the evidence of their play, a poor Wednesday side. Championship players or not. Both teams looked apathetic to me, with very little steel.

When I say on a par with Bolton, I mean that had we be been playing a team with a bit more umph in them, it would have gone the way of Bolton. I mean those giveaways by Burgess we're rank awful! He's a much better player than that. Both looked like he expected people to be there and they weren't which suggests the shape and or tactics had gone.

There were several points where players did things that looked tired. Like they aren't quite fit and are tiring early. Which seems wrong to me at this point in the season

Chaplin made a difference when he came on. But I took very few positives from this game, apart from the fact that thank goodness we weren't playing anyone decent.

Very dissappointing on 17:48 - Sep 25 with 2349 viewschrismakin

Very dissappointing on 17:43 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

But we got away with one there. (and admittedly could have totally undeservedly won it at the death) but for me that was a poor performance against, on the evidence of their play, a poor Wednesday side. Championship players or not. Both teams looked apathetic to me, with very little steel.

When I say on a par with Bolton, I mean that had we be been playing a team with a bit more umph in them, it would have gone the way of Bolton. I mean those giveaways by Burgess we're rank awful! He's a much better player than that. Both looked like he expected people to be there and they weren't which suggests the shape and or tactics had gone.

There were several points where players did things that looked tired. Like they aren't quite fit and are tiring early. Which seems wrong to me at this point in the season

Chaplin made a difference when he came on. But I took very few positives from this game, apart from the fact that thank goodness we weren't playing anyone decent.

Marky, is it not the case that the Bolton game woke PC up to going back to a bit of basics and ensuring we balance defence with attacking.

2 games since and we've not gone full attack,

I get what you're saying about if we played someone else.. but we've played others this season and lost and we've now had 2 where we haven't and only conceded 1 goal compared to the average of 2 per game.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Very dissappointing on 17:52 - Sep 25 with 2312 viewspointofblue

First half I thought we looked decent - we're not creating as much as we did which is a slight concern but, as chris makin said, maybe we're not being quite so gung ho as before. The second half was concerning as we really struggled to put good moves together. I think Penney losing his way didn't help as it blunted the left whilst the right didn't have the same drive with Donacien there, as well as he played defensively. Wednesday defended well but they must be dull to watch week in, week out if that's anything to go by.

We take the point and we move on. After Bolton we would have taken four points from Lincoln and Wednesday quite happily.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Very dissappointing on 17:54 - Sep 25 with 2283 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very dissappointing on 17:48 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

Marky, is it not the case that the Bolton game woke PC up to going back to a bit of basics and ensuring we balance defence with attacking.

I get what you're saying about if we played someone else.. but we've played others this season and lost and we've now had 2 where we haven't and only conceded 1 goal compared to the average of 2 per game.

I think for me it was the nature of the performance.

We went lacklusture very quickly after Bonne missed his chance. He had two one on ones and hit them both straight at the keeper which Norwood always gets hammered for. I wouldn't have given him the armband, I think it put too much pressure on him, he doesn't need any more firing up for the games and I would have maybe given it to Janoi. Fair play to Bonne for his quick thinking at the end though.

But we didn't look good. Lots of misplaced passes and giving the ball away followed by aimless passing across the back a la Lambert.

Login to get fewer ads

Very dissappointing on 18:00 - Sep 25 with 2227 viewsSimonds92

What a load of cr*p. If we were 3 up at half time Wednesday couldn't have had any complaints. 2nd half we didnt look like cutting them open but they didnt threaten either.
Very dissappointing on 18:05 - Sep 25 with 2199 viewsPremierBlue

We still do not come into the right spaces and are not coherent.
Very dissappointing on 18:06 - Sep 25 with 2184 viewsArnieM

We almost have too many good players . But these very good players are not yet operating as a single effective unit …. Dare I say it ?

Give
It
Time

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Very dissappointing on 18:09 - Sep 25 with 2150 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very dissappointing on 18:00 - Sep 25 by Simonds92

What a load of cr*p. If we were 3 up at half time Wednesday couldn't have had any complaints. 2nd half we didnt look like cutting them open but they didnt threaten either.

"They didn't threaten either". You mean rather like a good side closing out a game away from home while ahead?

We got lucky thanks to a dreadful goalkeeping mistake. If we hadn't done, we would have lost. Let's stop this counting every shot and thinking we were unlucky not to score with all of them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Very dissappointing on 18:14 - Sep 25 with 2121 viewsjayessess

Very dissappointing on 17:43 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

We'll see. It could be that it was two groups of good players that have cancelled each other out over the 90 minutes, with one lot taking a half chance and the other benefiting from a mistake.

It certainly wasn't "one we got away with" in terms of conceding a lot of chances or in terms of scoring from the only opening we made.

If we keep up our last 180 minutes of defending, I still think we'll win a lot of games in this division, including Tuesday.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Very dissappointing on 18:15 - Sep 25 with 2102 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very dissappointing on 18:14 - Sep 25 by jayessess

We'll see. It could be that it was two groups of good players that have cancelled each other out over the 90 minutes, with one lot taking a half chance and the other benefiting from a mistake.

It certainly wasn't "one we got away with" in terms of conceding a lot of chances or in terms of scoring from the only opening we made.

If we keep up our last 180 minutes of defending, I still think we'll win a lot of games in this division, including Tuesday.

When I say 'one we got away with' I mean we got a 90th minute equaliser that was pretty freakish. We didn't really like we we're getting out of it.

Very dissappointing on 18:18 - Sep 25 with 2079 viewsOldboy

Wednesday were ok and we were far from dire. Really not sure what you were listening to, but perhaps if you go to the game you might have a different take on things. To compare it to the Bolton performance is just stupid.
Very dissappointing on 18:21 - Sep 25 with 2063 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very dissappointing on 18:18 - Sep 25 by Oldboy

Wednesday were ok and we were far from dire. Really not sure what you were listening to, but perhaps if you go to the game you might have a different take on things. To compare it to the Bolton performance is just stupid.

I watched it

Very dissappointing on 18:27 - Sep 25 with 2028 viewsOldboy

Very dissappointing on 18:21 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

I watched it

Apologies. If you were there, then you should have seen a group of players trying to find a way of playing as a team. Thought we were ok and although improvement is needed, we are definitely getting there.
Very dissappointing on 18:42 - Sep 25 with 1982 viewschrismakin

Very dissappointing on 17:48 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

Think i've got it spot on after seeing PC's post game stuff

"Yeah, I think by the time they left the game with Bolton, everyone would want to play us, that’s how I looked at us,” he said. “‘The gaps are there, if you run through those gaps you’ll score goals’.

“You don’t see us running back to our own goal a lot now out of uncomfortable positional play. The lads have worked very hard on the training ground and they deserve a pat on the back for that.”

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Very dissappointing on 18:48 - Sep 25 with 1958 viewsIpswich_Crazy

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

Very dissappointing on 19:34 - Sep 25 with 1891 viewsSimonds92

Very dissappointing on 18:21 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

I watched it

If thats the conclusion you came to after watching it I wouldn't bother going in future. Watch the highlights, how we haven't won that game is ridiculous.
Very dissappointing on 20:17 - Sep 25 with 1784 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very dissappointing on 19:34 - Sep 25 by Simonds92

If thats the conclusion you came to after watching it I wouldn't bother going in future. Watch the highlights, how we haven't won that game is ridiculous.

Probably been watching them before you were born.

Very dissappointing on 20:22 - Sep 25 with 1763 viewsSimonds92

Very dissappointing on 20:17 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

Probably been watching them before you were born.

Probably, it doesn't mean your opinion is correct.
Very dissappointing on 20:48 - Sep 25 with 1692 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very dissappointing on 20:22 - Sep 25 by Simonds92

Probably, it doesn't mean your opinion is correct.

No, but it might mean I've seen enough football to have an idea what I'm talking about.

Very dissappointing on 20:58 - Sep 25 with 1658 viewschrismakin

Very dissappointing on 20:48 - Sep 25 by OriginalMarkyP

No, but it might mean I've seen enough football to have an idea what I'm talking about.

I think it's a prime example of the older generation not accepting the club isnt what it once was and can't accept a competitive fixture being a draw just because it's league 1.

That's not a fault btw, just how it is as a town fan. People look at a burgess and wonder why he's no beattie etc.

Today clearly was an ok game between two league 1 sides, neither of which came out a winner, but it's quite obvious how it's the older gens who appear more dissapointed across all various forms of social media/forums etc. Also showed with Mills shocking commentary today.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 21:01]

Very dissappointing on 22:07 - Sep 25 with 1565 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very dissappointing on 20:58 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

I think it's a prime example of the older generation not accepting the club isnt what it once was and can't accept a competitive fixture being a draw just because it's league 1.

That's not a fault btw, just how it is as a town fan. People look at a burgess and wonder why he's no beattie etc.

Today clearly was an ok game between two league 1 sides, neither of which came out a winner, but it's quite obvious how it's the older gens who appear more dissapointed across all various forms of social media/forums etc. Also showed with Mills shocking commentary today.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 21:01]

You mean the older generation want to see winning football and success while the last 2 decades have taught the youngsters just to be thankful for a half-decent performance?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024