Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... 07:52 - Dec 4 with 622 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....but likes to try to understand how things work I found this useful,

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

...however it is this bit that I still can't fathom...

1.First, COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are given in the upper arm muscle. The mRNA will enter the muscle cells and instruct the cells’ machinery to produce a harmless piece of what is called the spike protein. The spike protein is found on the surface of the virus that causes COVID-19. After the protein piece is made, our cells break down the mRNA and remove it.

....what is it actually in the vaccine that gives these 'instructions' ? Is there an idiots' guide that anyone has found?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:09 - Dec 4 with 563 viewsDanTheMan

That's the RNA part of mRNA. It's a set of genetic instructions that teaches cells how to produce the spike protein.

To be clear though, when I say genetic instructions, these never enter the cells nucleus and don't change our DNA. It just gets enough cells producing the spike protein to trigger an immune response.

Then when the real virus comes along, the body recognises it and knows how to fight it.

I always find this stuff easier to understand through a visual medium so I'll see if I can dig up a video.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:10 - Dec 4 with 552 viewsHerbivore

Nanobots innit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:14 - Dec 4 with 546 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:10 - Dec 4 by Herbivore

Nanobots innit.

Well someone had to do it!

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:18 - Dec 4 with 538 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:09 - Dec 4 by DanTheMan

That's the RNA part of mRNA. It's a set of genetic instructions that teaches cells how to produce the spike protein.

To be clear though, when I say genetic instructions, these never enter the cells nucleus and don't change our DNA. It just gets enough cells producing the spike protein to trigger an immune response.

Then when the real virus comes along, the body recognises it and knows how to fight it.

I always find this stuff easier to understand through a visual medium so I'll see if I can dig up a video.

The bit about the nucleus is in the link and I get that but all this bit about posting a letter with genetic instructions just flies over my head. I just can't visualise what form these synthetic instructions take but that probably isn't surprising.

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:24 - Dec 4 with 515 viewsDanTheMan

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:18 - Dec 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

The bit about the nucleus is in the link and I get that but all this bit about posting a letter with genetic instructions just flies over my head. I just can't visualise what form these synthetic instructions take but that probably isn't surprising.

https://www.genome.gov/about-genomics/fact-sheets/Understanding-COVID-19-mRNA-Va

There's a simple explanation here along with a diagram but essentially it goes into the cytoplasm of a cell, copies the instructions to create the spike protein into it and then degrades away.

Some can fact check this bit as it's not mentioned in the link and my biology GCSE was quite some time ago.

So I seem to recall that basically all our bodies cells have RNA in the cytoplasm that basically are instructions to the cell saying how it should build itself. What the vaccines essentially do is tell it to also build the spike protein.

So the form is the same form that is currently in millions of cells in your body right now. We've just made a synthetic version.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:49 - Dec 4 with 436 viewsjeera

I just stand next to telephone masts and hope for the best.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 09:16 - Dec 4 with 377 viewsGuthrum

As someone who has not as yet received an mRNA vaccine.... on 08:18 - Dec 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

If you think of protein chemicals as "words" which can be read by the building/repair mechanisms of our cells, it is possible to "write" a set of instructions which will then be followed to produce a certain result. This occurs as a natural process, which humans have learnt to mimic. You just need to produce the right chemical structures.

It's effectively what we've been doing with selective breeding in plants and animals for thousands of years (encouraging desired genetic traits, suppressing others), but much quicker and more precise.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024